So lets talk racing and fees.

hershey

PR Elite
Everyone wants to talk about what's killing race turnouts locally from time to time. Now with Bidenflation killing us, it's getting even worse.

So we did 3 regionals this year with Austin. I had 1300 total in gate fees and racing 2 classes at each event. That does not include the MXSports fee I had to pay online. These races are 3 moto formats, 15 min motos and full gates in the main 2 motos and around 30 in his heat races. You ride 3 full days with practice on national caliber tracks. That's a damn good deal IMO.

Last year we did Mini Os. Austin rode 2 SX classes and 2 MX classes. I rode 1 MX class. 500 in racing fees and 260 in gate fees. 760 to ride for an entire week with practice on the SX and another national caliber MX track with 6 lap motos I believe. Lots to do all week, factory rigs there and free Thankgiving dinner that was really good. Good deal IMO.

Looked at going to Lake Sugar Tree for theor motoplayground event. 2 moto format with practice over 3 days. 70 to get in the gate per person. Austin 3 classes and 1 class for me at 85 each. Gate fee 60 each for 4 of us. Camping fee....got to love this one, if you stay the night at the track with no camping hook up it's 150 bucks. WTF??? What is my gate fee for then? Rv hookups are 250 but are sold out. So we would have 730 bucks to ride 2 motos per class (Not sure on the laps) MX and the privilege of staying there for 2 nights in my rv using my electric and water. That's 30 bucks less than mini os for a week and riding sx and mx. Not a good deal at all comparatively.

Let's look at CTMX classic. Week long, sx and mx. Let's not say it's national caliber. No offense, just being real, they only have so much to work with. 50 gate fee, another dry camping fee of 100 or 300 for hookups, they have plenty of those for everyone. And 70 per class. 6 lap SX races and 4 lap MX. So 3 classes for Austin in SX and in MX, 1 class for the over the hill old guy in each. So we have 1060 for CTMX with hookups. That's 300 more than Mini Os and 330 more than LSTMX.

Where I'm going with this is these events are starting to price themselves out of the ordinary MX family budget. Didn't do CTMX because the family went out of town on vacation but honestly wouldn't have spent that any way. And was going to hit LSTMX until I saw the price tag. Still going to Mini Os because the value we get going there makes it worth while. Last year was our first time and it was the most fun race I've been to.

I get having to make money but it seems these big events are getting out of hand. I'm not hurting for money but at the same time I need to see the value in what I'm getting in return. Local races are less expensive by far and still usually fun but it is nice to race more than 8-15 riders in the class.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I agree. You pay $100 a class at minios and you are guaranteed 15 minute motos in every class. Last year in my final 450 b moto I did 12 laps on the mx track!!! Chillitown was super sick this week and I had a ton of fun with everyone that attended. However I do feel these tracks are pricing themselves out. $70 a class to do only 6 lap motos on the sx track blows along with the 4 lap motos for the mx track. I feel the prices of the event hurt the event more than weather ever could. I feel the gate fees are okay and average but classes should not be $70 for no more ride time than a local race. Also like you said you average local family can’t attend a race like this that they normally would just because the fact they can’t afford it. I couldn’t count how many people were there that race local races that didn’t race at all because of the prices. I don’t mind paying a lot to race but the bang for your buck has to be right. With a few tweaks I feel the chillitown classic could be the next real featured event.

Toddco327

PR Addict
The vast majority of these events are for the people that can take the time off. It isn’t so much the cost. We all know the cost going into it. Lorettas is like the Masters in golf, there is a level of prestige to it. But any other race that’s a “National” week long event is for those who can attend. I only get 3 weeks vacation. 1 week at the beach. A weeks worth of days at the end of the year and another week or random long weekends. That’s it. No offense to chilli but I’m not taking a week off work to go race there. And there isn’t a level, yet, of prestige to it. I’ll save those days for when I really need them to count. Our sport is no more expensive than any other Motorsport. It’s just what you can afford the time to go to. Mini O’s is a perfect time to go because a lot of people only have to use a few days vacation and it’s an easy sell when it’s cold and you’re in Florida. A ski trip out west is about the same price as a week at chillitown.

Ultimately people will pay and show up. You will alienate a lot of riders and good riders based off the length of the event but people will still show. I just hope the additional national events doesn’t muddy the water and make them eventually loose their appeal.

hershey

PR Elite
I think the biggest pet peeve are the 2 tracks charging for dry camping. You're charging for the privilege to stay the night with no hook ups at prices higher than a normal rv park with full hookups and sewer. Mini Os doesn't charge for that, that's what a gate fee is.

As for the time off, yes it's a big factor but I still believe the cost of these events are alienating your local level people.

Carlisle

PR Member
I love the fact that you’re complaining, and you’re not alone, yet davey combs and Mx sports, ama, and the everyone else in the mix just keep making more money. Come up with excuses yet people keep spending the money and quote” following there dream”. The risk is not worth the reward. Roczen is getting hell for the world supercross that he’s gonna race. Why not? It pays way more than any other sanctioning body is gonna pay to the racers. No different than the LIV for golf. Professional motocross/supercross riders are expendable. This all trickles down to the weekend warriors. Riding dirtbikes has always been about having fun. Paying 20-30$ at a track for unlimited practice has become way more fun than the amount you’re going to pay to race and get a trophy!

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I love the fact that you’re complaining, and you’re not alone, yet davey combs and Mx sports, ama, and the everyone else in the mix just keep making more money. Come up with excuses yet people keep spending the money and quote” following there dream”. The risk is not worth the reward. Roczen is getting hell for the world supercross that he’s gonna race. Why not? It pays way more than any other sanctioning body is gonna pay to the racers. No different than the LIV for golf. Professional motocross/supercross riders are expendable. This all trickles down to the weekend warriors. Riding dirtbikes has always been about having fun. Paying 20-30$ at a track for unlimited practice has become way more fun than the amount you’re going to pay to race and get a trophy!
Some can argue the point of going on and riding all day long on a practice day for $30 as yeah you do get a good bang for your buck. But personally and I am sure there’s a lot of people like me as there is also a lot of people like you. I like racing I like the competition the intensity the passing the grit to win and everything about it. I am not saying I don’t have fun practicing cause I do but when I go practcie I go to train and pound out motos and work on my technique for racing. Then the other crowd like you just goes and rides for fun which I ride for fun cause it’s what I love to do but the aspect of riding isn’t trying to prepare yourself for a race or anything it’s to go out and have some fun which is totally cool as we call these people “pro practicers”. Everyone has there way to ride and race but in all honesty I would rather pay more money to race than practice just because I like racing more than practcing and I can go fast on a practice day but nothing compares to the race adrenaline and intensity

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I think the biggest pet peeve are the 2 tracks charging for dry camping. You're charging for the privilege to stay the night with no hook ups at prices higher than a normal rv park with full hookups and sewer. Mini Os doesn't charge for that, that's what a gate fee is.

As for the time off, yes it's a big factor but I still believe the cost of these events are alienating your local level people.
My thought is since when has dry camping ever been a thing till this year . Like if you don’t buy a hookup all you do is just pay to get in the gate and you can park. It’s so stupid there charging to dry camp when you don’t use anything except your own stuff. I can tell you right now I am never going to pay a dry camping fee that’s just stupid.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
A little puke in my mouth. But I tend to agree with Hershey, the dry camp fee is wack and should be included in the gate fee. Aonia Pass was the first place I ever encountered this. they asked if I had a reserved hook up spot, and I said "No". They said ok $60. I said I don't have a spot. They said "$60". "Dry camp fee". That was in 2020, so things are going up. Then again that year at Lake Sugar Tree. Maybe showing my age, but I dislike the dry camp fee.

jj584

PR Addict
We did not race chilli because of the prices. We did not like the track previously but my kid had me talked into it trusting in the rebuild. Plans were cancelled when we added up the expense. We can attend another race weekend there this year and get the same track for way less and I'm sure there's going to some SX as well at some point. I do feel for the track owners slightly, with the cost of diesel what it is has to be eating up the margins. Turn outs for the local stuff has seemed pretty weak so with a declining customer base and rising costs its not good. Oh and dry camping fees are wack, no chance in hell I'm attending a local race and paying dry camping fees. They don't even charge that regionals.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Some people will reach into your wallet anyway they can. Mxsports isn't the only one anymore. Some penny pincher standing next to a track owner who is holding a pbr says "hey merle, you can make another 30k if we charge them a dry camp fee on top of the over priced gate and fee. After all, it is your land they're sleeping on.".. "yeeeeehaaww miss bank lady, you're brilliant!" Says the guy whose track disappears by the end of bideneconomics.

Did you know that camping is typically free at beans AND you can sometimes practice there for FREE? I saw BJ post not long ago. No prep, ride for free. Or something like that..

jj584

PR Addict
Not to give anybody ideas but the drag strip charges for spectators on practice days. However they give back decent cash on a race day. Never less than $500.

John250

PR Founding Father
I think Moto is still relatively inexpensive when it comes to any type of motorsport.
Absolutely 100% correct. I think Scott spent a ton of money on that race, and I am disappointed for him that more people in Ohio didn't come out and support the race. Matthew said that there were alot of people that race the Buckeye Series there that were not racing. That tells me it is cost. I also think the length is an issue.

Just some of my personal thoughts. Until the event takes off, try to keep it to 4 days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Thursday, start practice and heats for SX, Friday mains. Saturday practice and start practice and roll into motos.
Matthew raced the Mini O's, his motos for 450 B were 12 lap motos. For a featured event, and the cost, the motos have got to be longer than 4 laps. I know Matthew was disappointed on that end. I think weather for sure played into this as well at the race.

Give Scott tons of credit. He stuck his neck out there, spent a ton of money building one track and redoing the other (which Matthew says is great) and trying to do something special in Ohio. I am sure he will take his notes and improve upon it for 2023. He is also redoing east fork with the same track builder so good things happening there as well.

Scott, JO, and Bobby all put a serious effort out and obviously spend some of your money back into their facility. Three of the only ones around. People should support them.

jj584

PR Addict
Absolutely 100% correct. I think Scott spent a ton of money on that race, and I am disappointed for him that more people in Ohio didn't come out and support the race. Matthew said that there were alot of people that race the Buckeye Series there that were not racing. That tells me it is cost. I also think the length is an issue.

Just some of my personal thoughts. Until the event takes off, try to keep it to 4 days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Thursday, start practice and heats for SX, Friday mains. Saturday practice and start practice and roll into motos.
Matthew raced the Mini O's, his motos for 450 B were 12 lap motos. For a featured event, and the cost, the motos have got to be longer than 4 laps. I know Matthew was disappointed on that end. I think weather for sure played into this as well at the race.

Give Scott tons of credit. He stuck his neck out there, spent a ton of money building one track and redoing the other (which Matthew says is great) and trying to do something special in Ohio. I am sure he will take his notes and improve upon it for 2023. He is also redoing east fork with the same track builder so good things happening there as well.

Scott, JO, and Bobby all put a serious effort out and obviously spend some of your money back into their facility. Three of the only ones around. People should support them.
Timing of the event I think was off. Red Bud weekend, Fourth of July, regionals just finishing out might have played a part in the low draw.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
In the end, of all the bogus charges, high costs, etc., one of two things will happen. Either peeps will stop go and/or tracks will stop existing. I guess the other dealio is that costs will come down, but at what point and will it be soon enough before Johnny (no relation to John250 necessarily) decides or is forced by his parents to pick another sport that he "loves"...???

Guess we'll see. This past weekend in our trip up to Malvern the price of gas to haul the trailer was alarming to me. At 8.2 miles per gallon, I was like, "damn"! Anyway, y'all already had that convo way long ago. I've been just traveling the baseball park as of recent...lol.

jj584

PR Addict
In the end, of all the bogus charges, high costs, etc., one of two things will happen. Either peeps will stop go and/or tracks will stop existing. I guess the other dealio is that costs will come down, but at what point and will it be soon enough before Johnny (no relation to John250 necessarily) decides or is forced by his parents to pick another sport that he "loves"...???

Guess we'll see. This past weekend in our trip up to Malvern the price of gas to haul the trailer was alarming to me. At 8.2 miles per gallon, I was like, "damn"! Anyway, y'all already had that convo way long ago. I've been just traveling the baseball park as of recent...lol.
Shits gonna get weird!

John250

PR Founding Father
I honestly don't see how people justify towing a huge ass 5th wheel toy hauler to these local races at 7 or 8 miles per gallon. Happy Matthew bought a van that he can take to the races now.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Some people will reach into your wallet anyway they can. Mxsports isn't the only one anymore. Some penny pincher standing next to a track owner who is holding a pbr says "hey merle, you can make another 30k if we charge them a dry camp fee on top of the over priced gate and fee. After all, it is your land they're sleeping on.".. "yeeeeehaaww miss bank lady, you're brilliant!" Says the guy whose track disappears by the end of bideneconomics.

Did you know that camping is typically free at beans AND you can sometimes practice there for FREE? I saw BJ post not long ago. No prep, ride for free. Or something like that..

Bring your skills to the hills baby.

jj584

PR Addict
I honestly don't see how people justify towing a huge ass 5th wheel toy hauler to these local races at 7 or 8 miles per gallon. Happy Matthew bought a van that he can take to the races now.
We have a class C, it’s not for the racer it’s for me and my elderly dog. She’s worth it and I like pooping in 68 degrees lol. Seriously though, that s**t stays home if it’s not a weekend long ordeal.