Labor Day events! Where’s everyone going ??

NQ1965

PR Elite
My bike, gear, tools, etc. was all packed and staged in the garage ready to load. I was nearly pacing the floor at 11pm Saturday night stewing on rather or not I would be racing in the morning. Kept waiting and checking for a cancellation or updates....."nothing".
We were left to assume that "they are still racing", which you have to admit is kind of unusual for tracks taking a wash out like we had. And then we're waking up at 5:15 - 5:30am to thunder and downpours, and I'm thinking, surely, they'll probably have to cancel now. The only facebook update I seen was a question if they would announce it if they were canceling, which they did reply "Yes we will announce it if we do".

Once Nancy and I arrived at the track at 12:00-noon, and was talking to riders in the pits, and then once moto's began, we were hearing how many of these guys were out of state travelers, I then understood. No matter what, they were holding races. One family was from California, another from Nevada, and then Pennsylvania and West Virginia. And then they actually did get a bit of a break, when one of the storm cells that was headed our way around 11:30-12am didn't really produce anything or missed us.

In hindsight, one side of my brain wish's I would've just loaded and drove to the track, (which would've been in the rain), just to support Honda Hills for their hard work and effort. And had I of known that they were staying open primarily to serve their out of state visitors, I might have done that. But the other side of my brain knows that when I line up on the gate these days, I Want a Race! Two or three in the class just isn't a lot of fun, particularly if the racers aren't able to battle it out.

Last edited:

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
No one wants to ride mud. Whether there Dirtbikes or not it’s not worth ruining a 10k dirtbike for one local race. To rebuild a 450 cost about 3 grand. No one wants to destroy their bike and equipment. Just like no track wants to cancel their event but when they know they are going to take a lose there’s no point in holding it. Especially destroying the track from pushing dirt off. Takes a lot of time to push it all back on. If it’s not a national no one rides mud

hershey

PR Elite
No one wants to ride mud. Whether there Dirtbikes or not it’s not worth ruining a 10k dirtbike for one local race. To rebuild a 450 cost about 3 grand. No one wants to destroy their bike and equipment. Just like no track wants to cancel their event but when they know they are going to take a lose there’s no point in holding it. Especially destroying the track from pushing dirt off. Takes a lot of time to push it all back on. If it’s not a national no one rides mud
Can't say no one. I know lots of people who ride in mud. We ride in mud. Ask Sharc about the down pour at BC on a practice day years back. Austin does very well in the mud. It's a skill. Go to any off road race, gncc, Sprint Enduro, hare scrambles ect. Hundreds or more guys race their 10k dirt bikes every weekend in mud of some sort. Many weekends in all mud. I started out racing hare scrambles, they never canceled those races (or mx back then). Mud was part of racing. Back then even we made fun of MX guys for being to snooty about scratching their bikes up lol

Roachy

PR Addict
The Area 51 CanAm worked out great. They got a little rain Sunday morning that turned into a misting drizzle for a while so some people packed up. What a mistake that was because the track was great, actually a little easier to ride than Saturday for guys like me who can only handle ruts that are only so deep. Anyone who left was a typical MX guy and they missed out on great riding.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Can't say no one. I know lots of people who ride in mud. We ride in mud. Ask Sharc about the down pour at BC on a practice day years back. Austin does very well in the mud. It's a skill. Go to any off road race, gncc, Sprint Enduro, hare scrambles ect. Hundreds or more guys race their 10k dirt bikes every weekend in mud of some sort. Many weekends in all mud. I started out racing hare scrambles, they never canceled those races (or mx back then). Mud was part of racing. Back then even we made fun of MX guys for being to snooty about scratching their bikes up lol
I know this team doesn't ride in the mud. At least not now at our hobby level commitment. If we up our game, sure, I can see it happening. Riding in the mud can be fun, it's just the clean up and maintenance required afterwards that really sucks. Spencer already rides better in it than I to an extent, but who likes dragging their kid off crying because their 50 blew up, they got stuck in a monster rut, and/or went over the bars in a muck puddle...???

JMO330

PR Member
Honda Hills did what they could with what they had. That clay made for some icy conditions. They tried and thats all we can ask for. Hope to get a dry race there another time. ANY slightest chance of rain, i will not go back lol. Both times ive been there this year its been a mudder. You can pick your nose but you cant pick the weather.... or something like that.