Arenacrash

It's just really tough to be on a "team" in a sport and say hey, I am skipping a game to go to a big race. Most of the stick and ball coaches could care less if you're racing, they want you at practice and games. To me it's a commitment to the team as well.

As he gets older in school sports you'll find it is much more difficult.

It's just really tough to be on a "team" in a sport and say hey, I am skipping a game to go to a big race. Most of the stick and ball coaches could care less if you're racing, they want you at practice and games. To me it's a commitment to the team as well.

You are correct John (don't get used to me saying that...lol). I mentioned as we get past biddy sports, our ability to pick and choose will be increasingly more difficult. The benefit MX gives me is an early schedule. In that, I can calendar ahead and as we get into the other sport seasons, I can say "hey, unless we can develop another option, Spencer may not be here on this date."

I know I may be typing that as if it's that easy, but you that know, know better. Just is my plan at this point. More headaches to come. I'll be keeping the Tylenol close. ;) Being that there is not "I" in TEAM, there is a lot to consider. All his coaches will be aware though...

Reminds me of when coaches in high school, etc. tried to put rules in you had to cut your hair, etc. to play. Also reminds me of Dazed and Confused...lol. Wish us and all the other jugglers luck! ;)

If they could care less then they are kind of cool with it. I wouldn't like the coaches who couldn't care less, they are the assholes !

If they could care less then they are kind of cool with it. I wouldn't like the coaches who couldn't care less, they are the assholes !
Matthew had one football coach that honestly thinks racing is just twisting the gas and takes no talent. His basketball coaches were great. They would ask all the time how his racing was going.

Matthew had one football coach that honestly thinks racing is just twisting the gas and takes no talent. His basketball coaches were great. They would ask all the time how his racing was going.
Yeah, it's a hit or miss for sure. Ignorance is bliss. Right now all the sports are keeping him active and entertained. Everything just a hobby at this point. May never be more than that. Heck, we haven't even gotten into tennis yet! ;)

His coaches so far all have little kids as well and most understand the kids are "trying" things out. Most kinda like Matthew's basketball coaches and kudos to them. Once we get past this stint and more into the "pro parents/coaches" who think Johnny is going pro tomorrow, it'll be what it'll be. Taking one day at time.

Funny story...

Not sure if any of you remember Matt Calhoun that played fullback for Ohio State during the Eddie George days. Anyway, he was from my high school a grade below me and we became pretty good friends. We got into an argument back in the high school days who was the better conditioned athlete. This was even before the level MXers train today. He of course thought I was ridiculous in thinking MX'ers had better conditioning than a football player. I mean, hindsight, a much different type of conditioning between the two, but my argument was 30 minutes +2 hitting it full go when a football player just went for 5-10 seconds and took a 30 second or so break...lol. We laugh about that these days...

Back