Ahh, the "C-class" thread

Im 20 i havent raced since about 2007 i rode B with pretty good results my first race on a big bike was about 2005 after i bought brian gerths 250f,i raced c class my first race on a big bike and finished 3rd the next weekend i moved up to B, and becuase u have to want it to win it ,i got faster. just trying to match pace when your behind someone teaches you alot on how to save time and better lines. i havent raced in like 3 years but i wouldnt go down to C i would practice and practice ..becuase when it comes down to it i dont want to race till i can compeat and i dont wana compete unless there is competition.

Bottom line

The bottom line is the Sandbaggers know who they are and those who have higher aspirations, know who they are. There is no dishonor in sitting on the side of the track and rolling in at the back of the pack (thats quite the contrary) this is not taking anything away from anther rider by doing so. UNLESS your intentions are solely to keep your RPV down to remain in the C class for the sake of remaining in the C class.
But Like someone else mentioned if you have been chasing LL for years, in the same class (any class for that matter), Face it, it's time to throw in the towel.

For the rest, just do your best and you will get there. Don't go tearing other C class riders down for being fast in the C class, its not their fault they have had to become as fast as a B class riders to win a few races. If it hadn't been for Sandbaggers mucking up the the C class before them they would have already won enough to be in the B class. And any kid who has worked for it deserves to run up front and enjoy the spot lite for a little while. helps boost confidence now and later down the road.
So lets give the truly deserving a break, congratulate them for their efforts, and not throw them all in the same barrel.

What if you were an A rider, took off a year or two of racing, just had a baby, and didn't get to go to Georgia this winter
If Greg just had a baby then I say we scrap this MX stuff, buy a Motor Home and head out on the open road......Hollywood is calling!!!

Last year at LL's, the winner of 250 C mod ran a 2:09.612
The winner of 250 B mod ran 2:01.147
That’s 8 seconds a lap faster….. Obviously C class in nowhere as fast as B class…
So why does everyone keep saying that C riders are as fast as B riders ?????????
Just sayin’

The bottom line is the Sandbaggers know who they are and those who have higher aspirations, know who they are. There is no dishonor in sitting on the side of the track and rolling in at the back of the pack (thats quite the contrary) this is not taking anything away from anther rider by doing so. UNLESS your intentions are solely to keep your RPV down to remain in the C class for the sake of remaining in the C class.
But Like someone else mentioned if you have been chasing LL for years, in the same class (any class for that matter), Face it, it's time to throw in the towel.

For the rest, just do your best and you will get there. Don't go tearing other C class riders down for being fast in the C class, its not their fault they have had to become as fast as a B class riders to win a few races. If it hadn't been for Sandbaggers mucking up the the C class before them they would have already won enough to be in the B class. And any kid who has worked for it deserves to run up front and enjoy the spot lite for a little while. helps boost confidence now and later down the road.
So lets give the truly deserving a break, congratulate them for their efforts, and not throw them all in the same barrel.

could'nt of said it better.end of the B.S.

I didnt realize this until now...but TCracing....arnt you the Todd Clay that placed 27th out of 199 in 250C last season for D11 and took 1st place at AMS? With 6 Top 5 finishes and 3 of which were Top 2 Finishes? My bad if your a different person...

I didnt realize this until now...but TCracing....arnt you the Todd Clay that placed 27th out of 199 in 250C last season for D11 and took 1st place at AMS? With 6 Top 5 finishes and 3 of which were Top 2 Finishes? My bad if your a different person...

No. But I know him well, Hence why I am very aware of the C class. Perfect example of a kid who got a late start in MX starting his 4th year in AMA this year. has been getting beat up in the C class by "Novice" riders, Getting lapped his first year, then Keeping up the next, and then last year, despite Major knee surgery and multiple misfortunes he has finally become competitive, He got lucky a few times last year and very unlucky too.
If he races this year I hope he will NOT have any misfortunes (or anyone else for that matter), and hopefully qualify at LL's and do well.
He has worked his heart out to get were he is. He has worked and saved since he was little, Bought his own Bike, works and saves to pay for all of his gear, equipment, and parts. Mom and Dad pay for gas and FEE's he does the rest. I am sure if he races this year he will do well enough to advance.
Of course now that I have said that, we will have a dozen prodigies show up at every race. LOL. That said, I want him to do well, as he is my son, if you had not guessed, and I am very proud of what he has accomplished in spite of his misfortunes and lack of support.

"I don't see Vet 30 C riders doing this, EVER. I see them out there having a good time with riders of their own skill level. Vet C is the truest C class you can get. "

I once protested a guy for being in C, & he got bumped. (boy was he pissed-I think he's STILL mad about that) I ran C in 04 and I was a true beginner that year. I think I had 6-8 overall victories. Mostly it was because I had more guts than brains. It's the other way around now, sadly. I got bumped to what used to be Vet A/B in D-12 for the following year. I did manage a couple of wins in 30 A/B, but they were on low turn out race days. (ie; no Pitracer, Parma Dave, Robin & the rest of that bunch that was faster than I was)

My crowning achievement in racing was when I passed Parma Dave in 30 A/B for the win in 2007 at Western Reserve. He stated it was "tire pressure" or some crud like that...

Enough History. On to the current C Class. I've not raced since 08, & the only time I have even been on a bike since then was at Beans TWICE in 3 years and guess what class I'm entering when I get to the gate? Yup. C.

There's no D-12. I ran one CRA race in 08 & my RMZ blew up on the gate. I'm heavier & most likely much slower. I'm not chasing points anywhere.

I see no reason to try and run over my head to keep up with guys that have been riding every year since I stopped racing.

C class, here I come.

He has worked and saved since he was little, Bought his own Bike, works and saves to pay for all of his gear, equipment, and parts. Mom and Dad pay for gas and FEE's he does the rest. That said, I want him to do well, as he is my son, if you had not guessed, and I am very proud of what he has accomplished in spite of his misfortunes and lack of support.

Great job making your kid work for most of this stuff. Talk about huge life lessons. There aren't enough people like you making kids earn their fun (at least the majority I have seen). Isn't gas becoming the biggest part though? :)

Advancement is a tough situation, especially with Vet riders. The AMA realizes that Vet riders aren't always going to improve as the younger riders do and alot of input from the local organizations can affect a Vet riders classifcation. It is amazing on the requests from racers to drop back to "C" or drop back to "B" that have to be reviewed. The key concern in these decisions is the potential to dominate the class. Not alot of request to drop back are approved. It seems as "peer pressure" is the best way to keep advanced riders in their proper class. I for one appreciate Georgie's post.

If your kid has been racing since on 50's and is top in class even top 5 in senior and super mini.. He has NO BUSINESS in C class!!! he is NOT a novice rider period! Big bike or not there is no reason for it.. If your confident enough to go to LL your confident enough to race B class.. I dont race C class.. I used to but its a waste of time knowing the top five guys are whipping over triples and a good 5-6 seconds ahead. C class is for Novice to BEGINNER riders.. Not someone " just doing it to go to LL " its dangerous not only for your son riding with actual NOVICE riders, but dangerous to those novice riders themselves. Give the kids that are actual novice riders a chance to put a trophey on their wall.. your kids probably has a room full of them.. Just saying I see soooo many people and kids get turned off from racing because sandbaggers lap them that are suspose to be in their skill level. I have been riding for ten years, I could be racing the B class now, but I choose to race bomber because of my fragile leg, back,neck, bones etc. . Im just saying give the actual novice riders a chance to win against actual novice riders...

I caught a thread on another site today from someone looking for sponsorship for racing C class at LL qualifiers. It was sort of comical because they had a link to their "blog" and right in their own blog they were talking about racing B class out in California. Suddenly after a few posts questioning class and skill level all info and the original post were deleted. Haha.

You'll be right at home at a qualifier then. You should direct the top 7 guys in c class this weekend to this thread. Drop a flier on the sign up desk....

C riders don't usually train, c riders are learning the ins and outs of the bike which clearly you guys picked up on that with Mini's.

I check results at LL every august and never bother looking at the c class that should be cut from the week altogether.

When I came back in 2007 from Hawaii and was racing my crf 450 I could go anywhere locally and finish 1st-5th in B. Then I switched to a YZ 250 and was lucky to have someone to battle with for last. I dropped down to C in 2009 and 5th-9th is about what I can expect, I did win one moto once at Western reserve with like 7 guys on the line. I can jump every jump on almost any track (the big thing at 330 resulted in a nasty crash, so I don't try it anymore). This is what C has become, if you want to solve the problem we need a D class for true beginners that is not a LL class. Requirements like if you have raced D class 10 times you get bumped to C, If you win D Class 5 times you get bumped to C. If you have raced in any sanction 5 times in Sr. mini or C class you can not race D, any class supermini or B or above can not race D class. Displacement can be 125cc - unlimited, with rear wheel minimum size of 18" to make it all big bikes. Rules can of course be added or modified by persons who are better suited to make them than myself. Let C be C and create a class for beginners. I know that is what C is supposed to be but LL messed that up for local level racing so lets make a class for them that will stand and not be sandbagged. No finish place designations on trophies or season awards, participant trophies and award for D riders. At season awards they all get a participant award and a drawing amongst participants for prizes. This is to be a bridge class to be used to get inexperienced racers ready to compete at a C level or above.

#23 I have a boxes full of trophies taped up in the basement I couldnt less about.. But for that 14-18 or so aged kid who just got into racing and is all about moto ( like I was at that age before I got bills, job, engaged and all that nonsense ) that trophey is like gold to them.. Im sure youll never fully understand what it means for a novice to win a race. I like the idea of if you have raced a full season on a mini 80-100cc or 150cc for the timebomb 150f's you should have to advance to B class. Streaks had a fantastic idea, but insted of creating ANOTHER class for novice to beginner riders, lets transfer those rules to C class. No points, no awards ( other then say a small trophey or something ) no jumping triples and whips and things like that. Obviously that would be near impossible to police on but as it stands it would be awesome. It would keep everyone where they belong. Anymore I could care less about racing its a waste of money especially with gas and such.. Seems like everything is going up except my damn salary. Usually not always there are some exceptions, but if your kid isnt already at LL by the time hes on 60's 85's at the latest chances are they arnt going to make it big time ( although I love watch Tony Gallo whip some serious arse every weekend! ). Ive been racing for the past 10 years and seen alot come and go. Keep it fun and try not to get burnt out on it.

no jumping triples and whips and things like that.

Scenic Highlands had a rule when they first started with races of No Jumping Triples in the C classes.

Once in the rider meeting and it almost turned into a riot about it, one idiot even pulled out his cell phone and started yelling on the phone "don't bother comin' you ain't allowed to do any jumps!"

Back