Where Did Common Sense Go?

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
So we have our big group of VETS at Daniel Boone yesterday for the qualifier, none of us have ever seen or been to that track before except Rich Silvers like 9 years ago. The track is littered with rhythm sections, doubles, step-on step-off, etc.

So my first lap of practice (I think I was in C practice, there was no vet practice), I am rolling everything, as is 99% of every other rider. So halfway through the first lap as we come to a rhythm section suddenly some idiot comes doubling through all of us and of course lands right on a kid a few riders in front of me. Big pile-up, both riders are hurt.

Again, what would possess someone to actually think that is a good idea? The track is literally covered from edge to edge with riders rolling everything for their first lap.

Announcers kept re-iterating over the PA -- "c'mon guys, this is just practice....."

I've seen a few tracks do something to address this and I challenge all the promoters that read this to implement this as well:

The first lap of each practice session is done under full caution, yellow flags waving and no jumping allowed.
When you get back to the spot that practice started, or cross the finish line if the layout works that way, you get the green flag and it's full go from there.

They do this at Loretta Lynn's and I've seen other tracks doing it as well. SIGNIFICANTLY reduced practice incidents from what I've seen.

Thoughts?

At last year’s LL regional in Millville did that as well. The flaggers all stood at their posts or even out on the track and made sure the first lap was under caution with no jumping.
I think it a GREAT idea.

You cant punish everyone for a few. I do not agree with dumbasses that do this but some riders need that practice sesion to dial the track in and know how to handle it around slower riders. Maybe at a local show but not at a LLQ just to many diff tracks with to mant diff rules.

2-3 ? everything now is based on time you know how long practice would take if there was 2-3 laps of just rolling? lol

Well, common sense is long one IMO, but Pit's idea is sound. I tried to get Don K on board with something like this but the idea never took off. Full caution for the first lap of practice is a very good idea, especially when the track has 40-60 guys on it.

Hope both of the riders mentioned recover and I hope the guy that started the mess takes some time to reflect.

2-3 ? everything now is based on time you know how long practice would take if there was 2-3 laps of just rolling? lol

Not necessarily putt-putting around. But no jumping. Go as fast as you want up to a jump. . .

Ones enough I'm sure for most classes. C could use more :)

You have to look ahead & many think they are the only ones out there just pinning it.

That is one of the reason we switched over to AHRMA as in 2006 after trying to make a year end come back from a broken ankel an out of control C rider took me out in the first lap of practice at OIR & that was about it for me. Raced one more modern race & went Vintage with no regrets.

MY first lap was a sighting lap to see what is out there just crusing with the field when bam-bam put an end to my fun that day.
Nothing broken but was sore & packed it in for the season.

Have heard many riders being hurt this same way young & old.

Stuff like this is a huge reason I don't race. Even an an open practice, there are certain guys I don't mind riding close to, and others I stay far away from.

Stuff like this is a huge reason I don't race. Even an an open practice, there are certain guys I don't mind riding close to, and others I stay far away from.

im with you on this one, i have been off the bike for some time now, but if i ever return it will prob be just to ride and have fun, maybe race a 6ft throphy day or two but thats about it. i was off for about three year, returned 2 summers ago got in a handfull of practices and got behind the gate. lets just say i ended up in the er, not my mistake, gotta love C class.

any way, back to the thread. i think a caution lap would be a great idea. its safe, its smart, and it can prevent something like this from happening. people go out there for practice and get too hyper like a ama pro title is on the line, chill out, take a caution lap. now i know we all have a track or two we could hop on and jump everything first lap without second guessing it, but overall, i feel there should be a caution, no jump lap to start practice.

And what about practice tracks.... group of guys show up hours after its been open and all the lines have been cut... and they want to roll every jump for the first lap but everyone is at full speed by then

I had to jump out on the track and tell the flagger to waive his flag at the right spot, and point people off the track and still some idiot went around me and doubled with a red cross flag waiving as everyone else rode off the side of the track. i always love riders that look down at their front fender and not ahead of them.

And what about practice tracks.... group of guys show up hours after its been open and all the lines have been cut... and they want to roll every jump for the first lap but everyone is at full speed by then

Weather someone just showed up, or has rode all day, people should use their brain and use caution passing someone, b/c it's practice, and not a race. If I have to slow down to pass someone so I don't put myself or them in a dangerous situation, I'm glad to. I can't stand the guys that go ripping past someone only inches beside them in the air b/c they think its a race.

I had an A rider crack me so hard it punched a hole through my radiator first lap of practice at OIR a few years ago. It's not just C. It's everywhere. And this guy was fast and knew better. I was doing the whole easy site lap and next thing I know I hear a wide open 450 and smmaaasshh. Didn't crash but my bike instantly was puking antifreeze.

I do wish more people would use their heads.

No matter what you do or where you are riding you are going to encounter this type of stuff...... you have to ride defensive in order to protect yourself on the track. I can't tell you how many times while practicing I have slower riders that try to pull out of the way right into my line causing some chaos. The best advice is to hold your line, keep aware of other riders, and try to stay out of the same lines as the guys that are right around you to avoid hitting them or being hit. Common sense on everyone's part would go along way, but I've seen the same problems at Practice, AHRMA, Local races, national races, etc.

Tracks holding races should do a full caution lap in order to spread riders out in the short practice and alleviate the jumping problem!

There should be no problems at a practice track with people rolling jumps... that's part of a practice track. Don't need to be full bore all the time. If you get behind someone that's rolling stuff you don't try to jump over him.. just wait till you get to a safe spot and pass em!

Sad that we need to educate people on this stuff. I guess common sense is hard to come by anymore.

Yeah, if someone is really that much faster than you and can pass you on a jump, they should be able to pass you just as easily in a corner where it is safer for everyone concerned.

Back