Favorite local rider.....

Very touching. My old man put me on a bike @ age 3 and was a big part of my riding up until he passed this January. Been wondering if riding will ever be the same without Dad.
Sorry for your loss!

I know what you are going through, my dad just passed away 1/8 he raced (started at age 50) and got me started as well

RIP Steve Miller #54

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

I remember Wesley Boyd in the mid 90's on suzuki's at Honda Hills tearing it up(super fast), but anywhere other than there he had a hard time staying with the local pros.

My favorite local rider wasn't fast, didn't race nor did he ever win a title of sorts. He did expose me to the sport, he was my wrench, he used every dime he had to support my racing venture. If it wasn't for him, I would not be at the tracks today with my son. Today we will lay to rest my favorite local rider, my dad.

Kenny Winland jr
8.23.47-4.11.12

So sorry for your loss! He must have been an amazing man, ride in peace Kenny.

Hey Nitro-- Very sad to hear about your dad. I didn't know he was sick. I lost my own dad almost a dozen years ago. He only came out to the track to see me ride a couple times, it wasn't his deal. He did come through with a gang of chips whenever I wanted a new bike though.

Hillis... 280? Maybe at his lightest! I don't remember seeing him at the 'Cabin in the early years, but I don't doubt that he seat bounced that huge "widowmaker" jump that used to be there.

Anybody mention Trevor Vines yet? Besides being a great rider-- Trevor came back to NE Ohio and provides a nice riding spot. Not only that-- but I've been to alot of his Rock & Ride, and pit bike events. He's a great host, and he puts on a freestyle show at his R&R event. Lotta kids are there watching, and I think they look at Trevor as a "work hard, stay out of trouble" role model. That's got to get him some faves? --L*64

My favorite guy was JT Kurtz from Newark I believe. Jeremy Buell was fun also. Todd Poling? All these were D-11 guys.

I always liked Fred Andrews and Joey Maurer (won a title at Loretta!). Joey is my cousin and Fred married his sister Amy. I always dreamed of racing Pro and one year Fred led High Point for a few laps and I was going nuts! Also I'll never forget when Greg Rand showed up at Indy SX on an F&S Suzuki and passed Carmichael a few times in the heat! He would have won but he couldn't make the far triple. I lived with Ricky and Greg was so in his head it was crazy. But old Randy never went to another round. Also thanks for the love and memories! I don't post much but this one was fun to read. B.S.

I tell that story about Rand passing RC and no one believes me. I always liked Buehl because he worked so hard to make it and just about did, won several east SX rounds but had bad luck and never won a championship.

I have always been a Fred Andrews fan. one time along time ago I was standing next to the fence at Mid-ohio during a state championship. I was watching Joel Andrews make his way through traffic. I said outloud but speaking to nobody how fast Joel was going. this kid overheard and asked what I said. I repeated that I thought Joel was exceptionally fast and had real gift for passing people. the kid then told me that someday he was going to be faster than Joel, I said that is a tall order. the kid said I know and by the way I am Joels little brother Fred...
but my favorite local rider was always Dan Gibson (Jeff's dad) I am really suprised no one has mentioned him.

Surprised no one mentioned Brian Gerth ... Dude was buttery smooth always.. Used to love watching him and Karnow battle at Meadowlarks in the early 2000's

started racing as a youngster because my dad knew Phil Andrews...so watching Freddy was unbelievable. As a kid, lots of fast guys i remember that were always impressive: Freddie of course, Dave Hand, Spanky Spangler, Marcus Sellards and Barney Barnett. Not so local but once saw Mad Mike Jones at Western Reserve back in the 80's...he was UNbelievable...beyond Andrews, didn't think up to that point I'd ever seen anyone that fast in person! That guy had everyone impressed that day.

Troy Graham, Tommy Watts, Troy Karchner, Dave Moor all wide open, nose to tale around the pond after the tunnel jump in the center of dirt country at 11:30 at nite. Damn they were fast on POS machines.. Mike Bias when he would show up...s**t everyone liked to watch him.
Loved to race against Reed, Blair, Musselman, Mark Gibson, Jim Jermer, Hand, Mike Wheeler all GREAT riders that you could trust would not do anything stupid while racing with. Now the other side of that would be Eickel. It was my mission to NEVER let that little SOB pass me... lol I think Drew dedicated a corner at the old Action Sports where I took him out every moto. AAAAh, the good old days

Do you remember Mad Mike using the walls in the corners as berms on the Flat Track at the Triathalon? Then went out and tore it up in the MX and Hare Scramble. Had to see it to believe it!!!

thats right...that was the day/weekend i saw him (man, those triathalons were great!). you used to have some whoops over in the area where your big set of doubles are. jones blitzed those things like no one else. he was amazing to see that w/e.

yes, i was always a fred andrews fan also in his mx days, used to love watching fred throw his bike sideway at malvern under the old bridge after the cavity so he didnt hit it with his head, lot of respect for joel and phil, had alot of fun racing with them in the day, didnt know joey was your cousin broc, a good friend of mine jeff bennet ( who hangs with fred still today) use to buy a bike or 2 so joey could race.

Mark Pahanish was my idol he dominated the minis in early 80's. Also Bobby Baker, Alan Sams, Mark Moreno, Shawn Gates, Dale Spangler, Steve Gardiner, Tony Bonace, Jason Balis, Brad Queer, Mike Howell, Mike Tucker, Mike Katin, Joe Mauer, Marcus Sellards, Jeff Hicks, Fred Andrews, Tom Carson, Dave Hand, Joel Andrews, Keith Bowen, David Robinson, Aaron Plessinger. I am sure I forgot many, but they all raced at Valley View and Motorsport Trails in the days of Jerry and Nancy. Good Times

Back