Concrete or no concrete????????

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Here is why I said I like concrete.

Like already posted, the start really should be dirt. BUT -- It's no fun going to the starting gate and seeing big ruts filled with water and the whole area behind the gate being about 8" below the grade of the gate because of neglect.

I think MOUNTING the starting gate in cement is a great idea. That keeps the gate consistent and easier to maintain. When Mid Ohio put their gate in for D-12 racing it was like this. A concrete channel with the gate mounted and then dirt behind the gate.

If Malvern is going to change anything, I'd say to remove the concrete behind where the gate falls but leave the gate mounted in concrete.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
oh god that again meister? lol... i forget about that hahah... i think i have pretty solid technique w/ the concrete. im real confident with it. cant say much for the rest of the track though.

John250

PR Founding Father
I like concrete starts. Pad is always flat, no rolling forward in a rut that you could not get the back dug all the way out quick enough. Once I learned to launch a concrete start, I always had great luck getting good starts. Definitely requires different body positioning for sure though. If you go dirt, maintain it!

scatesmx13

PR Addict
I've never had a problem with concrete. Leave it in, put some variety in the the tracks we race. It's not the only concrete gate out there, let people learn and get experience on one close. A point has already been brought up it's easier to maintain=more time to prepare the track. IMO. Left holeshot turn +1.

Meister

PR Founding Father
You know, Scates just reminded me of something.

It is semi UNIQUE to our area.

The ATV National race at Ballance MX uses a concrete start.

Josh Upperman raced Malvern last weekend and the goal was to accomplish some testing on concrete starts and riding at night.

Left hand turn at the start sounds interesting!

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
You know, Scates just reminded me of something.

It is semi UNIQUE to our area.

The ATV National race at Ballance MX uses a concrete start.

Josh Upperman raced Malvern last weekend and the goal was to accomplish some testing on concrete starts and riding at night.

Left hand turn at the start sounds interesting!

I was thinking slight right turn, then hairpin left.

shockme#62

PR Member
Dirt, and more Sunday Races, at least if because of hot dust summers no rases on sunday, at least more in spring and fall.

Rogers365

PR Addict
Obviously I don't have any control over the race schedule this year but we will definitely have more Sunday races next year.

bellinger2525

PR Addict
I have been racing at malvern for many moons ive never had a problem getting good starts off the concrete,i think its actully easier to start off concrete

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Obviously I don't have any control over the race schedule this year but we will definitely have more Sunday races next year.

Whoa whoa whoa, Malvern is one of the last standing night racing facilities. I say you keep that going. You are kinda it. Dont drop that from the Malvern rep. unless you feel its costing you money, which I doubt. Way cheeper to run nights on prep, Id stick with it.

Elliott4179

PR Addict
I too prefer the day races, but you gotta have night races too. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Day races you save on the electricity with no lights running but more track prep, and obviously the opposite at night. Bring back the old school two day event with saturday night moto and sunday harescramble, that was always a blast with a huge turnout. Also have the option of not having to cut motos short on sunday cuz it's getting too late.

trent56mx

PR Addict
Speaking of the first turn Rogers, I remember somehow getting both of my legs stuck in your back tire in the mid 90's. Kind of wedged down to the swingarm. No idea how I got away from that one without a scratch, good thing we were on 125's haha