Action Sport June 23 & 24

Took a few pics and here's one of where Mike is leading Mike before Mike made one of those mistakes that Mike was talking about. Also looks like Mike will have a gopro vid of his battle with Mike.

Athens 2012 mike and mike.JPG

Attachments

• Athens 2012 mike and mike.jpg
    Athens 2012 mike and mike.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 187
I had 2 holeshots in the 50+ Int class but worked my way back to 4th out of 12...here I managed to hold off a bid for 2nd at one point. My RM250 ran fantastic, just got beat by some faster guys.

athens%202012%20battling%20for%202nd.JPG

The Action Sports track is awesome...the big uphill /downhill section that uses that ravine area is not something that you can find at most tracks. Me jumping out of the ravine area.

Athens 2012 jumping out of ravine.JPG

Like most steep hills in pics or videos, never quite get the sense of the size or grade of the hill. The corner at the bottom of it is challenging...go too wide for a run at the hill and someone might block pass you on the inside, go too far to the inside and you may not have the right moment to get a fast run at it. What a FUN track!!!

IMG_0769.JPG

Congrats on the great finishes you guys . Any idea what the final entry total was with post entries ? Track looks nice but did it get dusty ?

My son who raced also yesterday has admitted that he enjoys Vintage/post vintage racing much more than modern stuff. I explained to him how fortunate he is having rode this track and that it is as close to old school MX as you will find. Agreed, considering the dry conditions we've been having, the Wolfe's gave us a great event.

My only complaints are that we didn't have a vintage bike ready to race for Saturday, and that yesterday went so fast, we just didn't have enough time to get out and visit as much as we wanted.

Jack went 1-1 and 2-1 in the Ultima 250 int and open age classes. I battled with freas to no avail every Moto. I was up front but could not hold any leads. 2 small mistakes cost me . Had a blast and jack is hooked after his first race

On the ride home we discussed that we need to rush order another PV bike to see if my boy Anthony can compete with your son Jack, since they both have much faster race pace.

I won't lie, having another opportunity to go head to head with the other Mike was a weekend (and yearly so-far) highlight for me. Your a worthy competitor, and regardless of the finish's, or how far back we were, it was a blast. Nancy said it was some of the tightest racing of those moto's.

Can't wait for Vintage Days.

I'll get some pic's uploaded as soon as I can, and see how the video's tuned out.

Jack went 1-1 and 2-1 in the Ultima 250 int and open age classes. I battled with freas to no avail every Moto. I was up front but could not hold any leads. 2 small mistakes cost me . Had a blast and jack is hooked after his first race

Gald to see everyone had a great time.

Mike it sounded like Jack is hooked!
On a side note will call you sometime as we need the magic touch of Forever Green landscaping as I can't do that kind of work anymore & it is showing. Be ready to bench race!!!

On the ride home we discussed that we need to rush order another PV bike to see if my boy Anthony can compete with your son Jack, since they both have much faster race pace.

I won't lie, having another opportunity to go head to head with the other Mike was a weekend (and yearly so-far) highlight for me. Your a worthy competitor, and regardless of the finish's, or how far back we were, it was a blast. Nancy said it was some of the tightest racing of those moto's.

I'll get some pic's uploaded as soon as I can, and see how the video's tuned out.

I must say as we were heading home we were grinning about the days race. I too had as much fun as at a bigger track or bigger race. There is something about those old bikes that brings me to life. To bge able to compete too and have a race within a race is awesome. At one point I looked back and there were 4 bikes right behind me.
It was too quick of a day as I wish we could have had more time to swap stories. There were a lot of AHRMA regulars I would have liked to chat with.
Battling with you Mike is a blast . In modern racing I normally cant compete well and get seperation from the pack. In the vintage races it seems I am able to compete and its a whole new ballgame. Line choice , lappers and racing to the checkers all come into play. I cant wait till Mid-ohio to do it all again. What a blast.

I can set Anthony up on a fresh 1985 KX125 ! Just saying

I can set Anthony up on a fresh 1985 KX125 ! Just saying

Not a bad idea but the disc brake limits his class options for post vintage.
We've got the 84 CR250 to finish first for pre-modern class. Thanks for the offer Scott.

By the way, did any of you southern Ohio racers make it to the race?

Mooch, looks like you are ready to wheelie the big hill. You motocross guys are crazy!

CC results are up. http://www.moto-tally.com/AHRMA/Results.aspx My results online appear to be correct. I had a very strange experience with the posted results at the track today. Some day I may have an explanation.

It would be nice to have a copy of the results sheet that they posted that day to highlight the screw-up on this. So who got your 1st place plaque?

=================================================
Vintage +50 Intermediate - Cumulative Race Times by Place

Place Rider# AHRMA# Rider Name Brand Lap 1 Lap 2 Lap 3 Lap 4 Lap 5 Lap 6 Lap 7 Lap 8 Adv%

1 K10 6591 Mark Kaho HUS 07:28 (1) 15:16 (1) 23:09 (1) 31:15 (1) 39:06 (1) 47:37 (1) 54:59 (1) 1:02:36 (1) 86.1

2 67K 7649 Marty Strouse HUS 07:32 (2) 15:47 (2) 24:08 (2) 32:29 (2) 40:35 (2) 49:00 (2) 57:33 (2) 1:06:02 (2) 81.6

3 72E Steve Charles 08:02 (4) 16:55 (4) 25:46 (3) 34:33 (3) 43:23 (3) 52:14 (3) 1:00:53 (3) 77.5

4 656 2446 Bill Hanks PEN 09:10 (6) 18:44 (6) 28:11 (5) 37:17 (4) 46:29 (4) 55:54 (4) 1:05:14 (4) 72.3

5 58B Mike Hufnagel PEN 08:48 (5) 18:12 (5) 28:05 (4) 37:51 (5) 71.2

6 928 7117 Lee Stebleton 07:46 (3) 16:30 (3) 81.7

By the way, did any of you southern Ohio racers make it to the race?

None of the cincinnati crew made it up that I know of. I've been enjoying riding my 250F lately and just can't get to excited about spending almost 100 to ride one AHRMA class.

It would be nice to have a copy of the results sheet that they posted that day to highlight the screw-up on this. So who got your 1st place plaque?

NQ1965, those are the results from Saturday's vintage class. My bizarre results experience happened in PV on Sunday. I really don't care about a plaque. I think I've figured out how events occurred but before I say anything, I'm going to wait to see if AHRMA gets in touch with me.
I had so much fun racing the old bikes. The real surprise was my heavy '73 360 MX. It was great. I raced it for over an hour and didn't even get tired! The only bad part of the racing was spending a couple of minutes stopped in the woods trying to open the fuel petcock on the '83 YZ 125. Going caveman with stick finally worked. lol! But the ride after made up for any frustration. A great couple of days of racing.
Oh and I did snap a pic of the results posted Sunday.

I see. PV +50 intermediate.

Another situation that I spotted that leaves me thinking that their advancement process may need some work:

* Last year I came in 3rd in CC race behind Jeffery Vlk (2nd) and Tom McPeek (1st).

This year I noticed McPeek got bumped to "Expert" black stripe. But there was nobody in his PV200 expert class but him.

We had 7 entries in our PV200 Intermediate class.

Here's the rub, Tom's final time was slower than our Intermediate class winners time. (1st and 2nd place times, if I'm reading it right ).
Go figure?

Back