How'd AMA vintage days go for you?

mooch

PR Elite
A fine weekend it was! A bit of rain before the weekend made for some nice conditions and the heat was downright bearable compared to last year. A big plus was having a starting gate that was on loan from Drew Wolfe! Though the track layout was similar to last year it seemed tighter in a number of areas...don't get me wrong I had a great time on the track, just seemed a bit tight at times.

I had two holeshots in the 50+ int class but managed to work my way back to a fourth overall for the day. Definitely more competition in my class this year (or, prolly just me getting older and slower). Here's two pics my wife got of my class coming into to the first corner. If numbers 415, 60, and 493 get on this site by any chance...nice ride as you guys were runnin good!

IMG_0835_cr.jpg
1st%20corner%202012%20mid%20ohio_cr.jpg

The 1st moto of the non-current B/C class was a good one. Beenridin's son Jack was on a not-so-current RM250 and did a fine job against eventual moto and overall winner Ben Rogers.

Sorry, pic's a bit on the blurry side.

non%20current%20ben_cr.jpg

MOOCH! We were just talking and wondering where you were today! I swear we never saw you and were curious as to why you didn't make it. Funny.

I raced 3 classes so I didn't spend much time watching.

There were some big classes this year! Really nice to see people showing up! I have some pics and video to post later.....

John, here's you and Mosher in the non-current class...speaking of looking for people at the race, who were you looking around for here? :)

kreps%20and%20mosher%202012%20MO.jpg

Ha, I had bad starts all day and every moto had to look up ahead to try and figure out where I was at!

You were on a 125 in non-current...right? Gotta be rough getting a decent start on the tiddler when everyone else in that class seemed to be on at least a 250.

Although the 125 probably felt pretty good on all those tight turns!

How about those Moto-Armory Girls! They did shifts on the 30 Second board and also had a tent on the way to staging giving everyone bottles of water.....

30SecA.JPG

30SecB.JPG

Ahh yes, those fine Armory girls added a certain something to the event!

Hopefully, the Armory girls and the starting gate will return next year!!

I was cautious not to be peeping at the start babes for fear of gettin a finger poke in the eye from the wife.

I watched the vintage boys and girls race a good bit Saturday. I noticed that it was as though they had 3 options in the corners. Stay inside and hit the line, hit the middle and power slide around, or stick the outside and rail the small berm. And we saw a lot of passing by railing the outside. I thought this was very cool. Then during our races yesterday there was good flow around most all of the corners.

Track conditions seemed perfect in the morning and held up pretty well throughout the day. Very cool having a starting gate as well.

Good job to the Log Road Crew and The Wolfe family for their support of the event.

Sounds like this was one of the better years for MX during Vintage Days. Seems like everyone had fun.......yes?

Both of girls are knockouts! +10

Here is some Gopro of the first Non-Current moto. This class was stacked and had 20 entries. I had a super fun time racing this class, I think I got 7th overall.
On the start, you will see DMX153 tangle with another rider and the hay bales and go down hard in the first turn! TB901 then cuts inside the bales (and got scolded by officials) and I follow him through.

A few corners in, a kid on a KTM Enduro stuffs me. Keep your eye on him as nearing the end of the first lap he tries to stuff Mosher and high sides!

Here is your podium in the Non Current B class
Ben Rogers
Scott Stanford EVO244
Terry Bernard TB901

NonCurrentPodium.jpg

Rick McGuire flies on his '87 YZ250 and won the Non Current A class.
NonCurrentPodiumA.jpg

Oh, yeah, big fun. Met lots of people and made some new friends, just a great time. We got there early Thursday and it rained heavy all the way there. As soon as we pulled into the track it quit and never rained again, although it really wanted to all day Friday. Really nice weather after that. The track was real well prepped, I thought.

If you camped in the campground you saw us, we were right inside the gate at the top of the hill. What a great show. Our camp looked like this:
Camp VMD 2012.jpg

My youngest son, Ben, on our MX360:
MX360 2012 VMD.jpg

He ran a good, tight race with the guy who won his class, but he said the trans had too many neutrals in it and got beat. Whatever.

These are the only two pics I have downloaded, I'll post some more later.

KRH

I had a great time out there. It's always fun to get around the Vintage community and hang out. I liked the track, but also thought some of it was a little tight. If I were to suggest anything for the races, it would be to get a list of eligible bikes and years for every class. At Tech they need to be able to identify all the bikes for the classes. I saw quite a few bikes race in classes that they were not eligible to be in. In Tech they asked what class you were in, but they didn't (IMHO) confirm that the bike was even eligible. Yes, you could probably protest it, but who wants to be "that guy."

Pit, how much you want to edit out the first 12 seconds of that vid? We were big time screwed until we found that detour. God, why didn't someone tell me to take off those dorky glasses on the podium? Ben on the podium said he paid $1200 for that bike. I thought, hell I only paid $950. But a quick review of my Ebay, Dennis Kirk, and Motosport purchases revealed an additional $1494...and it still looks like a POS. It was worth it I guess, had fun, cut a little track, finished better than I deserved. Better lucky than good. Hope to see you guys at Vet Fest.

Did anybody else on hear ride CC on Friday besides myself and McGuire?
We had like 15 entries in 40+ B.

Heart-break of Sunday for our crew goes to Jack Babet. Jack was FLYING on the '82 RM250 and smoked out to the holeshot in the first moto of Non-Current B/C and led 2 or 3 laps before ending up 3rd in the moto. Then he went right back to the gate and smoked everyone in the EVO3 250 class and led wire to wire.

Second moto of Non-Current he was in a first turn tangle and ended up with a broken bike that could not be fixed in time for his other moto. So his day was 3-DNF and 1-DNS. SUCKED as he was riding awesome and looked awesome on that bike, great form and great riding!

JBabet1.jpg

JBabet2.jpg

Good for Jack!..... nice to see him developing.
Think back to his clutch-abusing, leg flailing early days at Monster a few years back and it’s obvious that lately he has been maturing into a decent rider!

Back