CRA one day Pass

Would there even be racing in eastern Ohio if it were not or the CRA? Maybe they are around because they can make a little money at it by doing what they are doing. Frankly, I am not sure there would even be sanctioned racing in eastern Ohio if there was no CRA. I don't love everything the CRA does, but they survive in some rough times for the region.

Lets see your the only one who thinks the 1 DAY PASS!!!!!!!!!! is a bad idea. Go figure? Hide behind your name and talk out your A$$ I really could care less.

Most other sanctioning bodies off a day pass.

You live in NC and give a crap what happens in Ohio?

You must be a flaming liberal since when you have no good arguments you revert to name calling. What in the world are you talking about hiding, I am hiding nothing and from no one. I have places in both NC and PA and know a little about motocross in the region.

OK, name three sanctioning bodies in the region that have day passes?

Yes, I give a crap about the region and I also give a crap about the country, and I hope you do to!

For the record I am talking of each sanctioning body, I am not here to pick on cra. Ohio has a free fishing day. Ok, that has nuttin to do with nuttin. I'm out, I don't really care. I have both cards.

Dude just asked a pretty logical question, don't need to tear him apart. Obviously it's a good idea to have a one day pass and I can guarantee you'd see more racers out there.
Another decent idea would be to just prorate the cost halfway through the year, that way you wouldn't have to bother monitoring points and all that. Alot of people are too busy racing qualifiers during the first half of the year or just enjoy racing in the fall so they could benefit from something like this vs. just not racing at all

Dude just asked a pretty logical question, don't need to tear him apart. Obviously it's a good idea to have a one day pass and I can guarantee you'd see more racers out there.
Another decent idea would be to just prorate the cost halfway through the year, that way you wouldn't have to bother monitoring points and all that. Alot of people are too busy racing qualifiers during the first half of the year or just enjoy racing in the fall so they could benefit from something like this vs. just not racing at all

That would be all to logical. I agree organizations certainly have kept racing alive. However I think a lot will agree racing, at least locally has dropped off a lot. Continuing to hold on by a thread isn't really a accolade if you ask me. Sometimes old models are just that....old. When each year the current plan grows weaker and weaker maybe it is time to try some new things. Maybe they work maybe they don't. However that's how you learn by trial and error.

I do think the idea of a one day pass has some merit to it. However with what we all spend on bikes, parts, gear, trailers and fuel, I really have a hard time believing anyone who wants to race would not do so over an extra $15 cost. I have bought membership cards, district cards and even track cards in order to race and somtimes just ride. The $20 that the CRA charges is very reasonable. Jason

I can feel your pain cause in years past we did a lot of races and we have 4 racers. Totally understand your cost issue. The first race of the year for us is always a pricy one cause we need memberships. We live in the area so we buy the card for the year, but there has been times we have wanted to go places and end up not going because we have to buy a membership. Or if we decided to go and buy the membership we make a point to use the membership again. I do agree that the one day membership is a good idea. We went to Delta last sat. and they are MRA sanctioned. It was $25 for the membership or you could get a one day membership for $10. If you came back with in 30 days you could pay the extra 15 towards that day pass and have the full membership. It's a tough call and it depends how bad you want to ride there.

Jason. I see your point however when you are talking about a family the expense becomes a bigger issue. I have always wondered how some parents afford it. We only had Chris and the expense was spread out between ourselves and his Mom. I think the only way the sport is going to grow is for concessions to be made to help the parents of these children. Perhaps that is more difficult for the older vet riders to understand since they are, or should be, at a point in their lives that they are more financially set. The older riders also aren't necessarily purchasing new bikes on a regular basis whereas with the kids they outgrow there bikes like they outgrow their clothing!! Whivh means they are outgrowing their gear as well!!

If they are just riding the track that day they don't need a card and don't track points.

It's cheap to race CRA. Some mason Dixon and d5 entry fees get close to $50 sometimes!

20 membership + 20 to race is about the same or cheaper than other sanctioning bodies.

Jason. I see your point however when you are talking about a family the expense becomes a bigger issue. I have always wondered how some parents afford it. We only had Chris and the expense was spread out between ourselves and his Mom. I think the only way the sport is going to grow is for concessions to be made to help the parents of these children. Perhaps that is more difficult for the older vet riders to understand since they are, or should be, at a point in their lives that they are more financially set. The older riders also aren't necessarily purchasing new bikes on a regular basis whereas with the kids they outgrow there bikes like they outgrow their clothing!! Whivh means they are outgrowing their gear as well!!

If they are just riding the track that day they don't need a card and don't track points.

That's a noble sentiment, but scorekeepers and record keepers would have to figure out who's who and figure finishes manually, defeating the purpose of computer scoring. Can you imagine the roar at the end of a long night race when people have to wait for their trophies because they have to take out the guy(s) who don't have the card? Say the one-day kid wins, wouldn't you now need 2 first place trophies? The member gets first place points and a second place trophy? Takes us back to the 80s when you had CRA and non-CRA riders at one event.

I do think the idea of a one day pass has some merit to it. However with what we all spend on bikes, parts, gear, trailers and fuel, I really have a hard time believing anyone who wants to race would not do so over an extra $15 cost. I have bought membership cards, district cards and even track cards in order to race and somtimes just ride. The $20 that the CRA charges is very reasonable. Jason

EXACTLY! Which was one of my main points....

That's a noble sentiment, but scorekeepers and record keepers would have to figure out who's who and figure finishes manually, defeating the purpose of computer scoring. Can you imagine the roar at the end of a long night race when people have to wait for their trophies because they have to take out the guy(s) who don't have the card? Say the one-day kid wins, wouldn't you now need 2 first place trophies? The member gets first place points and a second place trophy? Takes us back to the 80s when you had CRA and non-CRA riders at one event.

EXACTLY + 3! My other main point scoring...

Yes, it can get expensive. And the better your kid is the more expensive it can get. Multiple kids racing equals multiple costs. But, where does it say that everyone is entitled to get what they want at the cost to others, in this case the promoters. It seems like the entitlement society comes to motocross to me. Pay your way and if you can't well that is too bad but it is also life. We don't always get what we want for one reason or another.

My son drag races now. If he can afford to race he goes racing, if the car is down for some reason he may go watch until it is ready to race again or he may stay home. He would love to drive a Pro Mod car. He can't afford the car today, or what it would take to maintain it and race it. Simple fact! So, he races Top Sportsman in a car he can afford and afford to race. Maybe someday he will get to the next level, maybe not. It depends on a lot of factors and a lot of others have that goal also. But that is racing and that is life.

Perhaps I just don't understand the scoring and point system. I don't see why they would not get a trophy for whatever position they finished. Take them out of the equation for points. How do the others that sell the one day passes do it? How does that take money away from the promoter. The promoter doesn't get the membership money. If anything it should help the promoter because he would get more riders.

Let's say the non card rider gets first out of a field of 10. Let's say the scoring gives him 10 points for first place. But he is not a member for points keeping. Let's say the rest of the places are members and getting points. So, second is really first points wise and should get the 10 points instead of 9, and so on, and so on down the line. Some might say this one or few points is not a big deal but the points add up over the season toward season awards and the points should be kept accurately for those who are paying to be members. In addition, you have all the added work for the race staff to track and figure this stuff out. And the racers now may not be sure what place they are in on the track, because they don't know who is a member and who is not.

Trophies is a lesser issue to me and race trophies should be handed out based on paying to be in that class that day and where you finish that day. No need to ask the non member rider to fore go his place trophy that I see. But some could argue that only members should get trophies and they should match the points finish.

Bottom line is it is not a lot of money all things considered to buy a card considering the problems it creates for the promoters in my view.

Nobody is arging that the CRA fee is unreasonable or overly expensive. The valid argument is that the structure itself is very discouraging to one time racers, especially those with 2 or 3 kids, visitors to the area, or people have never raced and who just want to give it try, and see if they like it before committing the family budget for the next year. As a person who has brought dozens of new racers into the community over the years, I have personally run across all of these scenarios, on multiple occasions, and I feel that both promoters and the CRA are losing money and the pool of racers is shrinking because of it. I have proposed this guest membership it in the past, and am still a proponent of the idea, not because I feel the CRA is not entitled to the money, but because I feel they are losing money and riders.

Instead of poo-pooing the idea outright, implying that a guy who doesn't want to buy 3 annual memberships for one race is a cheapskates and immediately finding reasons it would not work, why not put our collective heads together and figure out a way to make it work, and attract more newbies to later become hopelessly addicted to the sport?

I think the score keeping issues would best be addressed by someone who actually keeps score. I don't think its nearly as complicated as assumed. There are some unsanctioned classes now. One time temp memberships can be setup to expire, be disqualified for points, non-renewable, so a CRA card later would be treated as new rider and not require points backtracking. Your CRA number would be entered as "temp" at signup. No need to buy and issue temp card. Event trophies and plaques come from the promoter, not the CRA, so the daily standings do not have to match the points. A prorated membership is a great idea as attendance seems to dwindle near the season end.

I do know that by having non-sanctioned 3 wheeler classes in the past, I was able to bring in a lot of race experimenters who later became committed. I know of a couple families right now who wait for the next Smith Rd for their kids to join Dad in racing because they will only race a couple times a year. I know of two friends who were traveling with quads from Florida and Cincinatti, and decided to run a HS because they were given CRA cards for $10. I know there are enough ideas out there that could make it work smoothly to benefit the business.

While looking and comparing AMA costs, you might also consider what has happened to attendance, and evaluate the current relationship between promoters and the AMA before deciding you want to go there. Higher costs does not equal more incoming revenue, and more AMA promoters than ever are considering going outlaw. The CRA has thrived where the AMA has declined, simply because its much easier and less costly for newbies to get their foot in the door. If you capitalize on getting them easily through the door, you have a lot more long term sources of revenue.

I don't understand the big deal about the points. If the person buys a 1 day pass and wins one race its not like he is going to make the banquet off of that one race. And if a regular member finishes second to a person with a 1 day pass you get second place points, thats what you earned.

Racing is expensive, I don't think anyone would argue that. So just for that reason I don't see anything wrong with a one (yearly) time card to ensure a racing district exists for next time.

I raced 2 harescrambles last year. I raced 20 times in 2009 and so far 7 times this year. That extra $20 didn't affect me differently racing any amount of times. I might not have kids but I race 2 classes every time. I'd rather dish out that extra $20 for racing a few times than the year with 20 considering how much money I spend getting from place to place and the number of classes.

This whole deal seems no different then racing a qualifier, having to pay $40 for the card, maybe even a district card, $20 for the class then another $40 for the sheet. If you want to do it, you have to pay.

Honestly how many people do you think would not want to race to possibly get a trophy? The heavy racers might be sick of them by now but not someone who is there to race once. Or points, once they decide in a week that it was fun and want to go back. It wouldn't even be worth it for a track like Malvern to go in and find those 2 people who aren't going for points.

Since I would imagine the fairs draw more new people than the regular tracks, I'm not against making the fair series along with Summit races a complete and separate series that, for those who don't already have a card, pay a $5 or $10 one time trial deal. Then from there do something like Lotts said Delta did, if they want to go back they could pay an extra $15 to just get the full membership. Fairs have no business in the motocross series anyway, they're completely different on every aspect besides the fact a dirtbike is involved..

Add this whole deal to the list of CRA suggestions..

Do the higher ups in CRA even watch this site ? I know some track owners do and they can bring this stuff to light. But has anyone here know if the officers of CRA watch? I would think the size of pitracer.com membership should warrant one of them be a member and participate on the site just to stay in the mainframe of what local racers voice.

I do however wonder how many of those voicing opinions about the CRA and the changes they should make. Have ANY of you attended one of the monthly meetings and voiced concerns or options to help make racing better ?

Back