Improving Quad turnouts, and racer turnouts in general

While your remedy makes sense at face value it also adds another class to a list that people want to see shrink. I would be willing to bet a track would have to hire a security guard/tech inspector to police this one class. I can tell you this for sure, no class brings with it more arguing/complaining parents who protest each other than the mini quad class.

This may be true I have no idea. I know most of the minquad parents and they are good people. Maybe some piss and moan I don't know but as a track owner I think it is classless to call out a class on a public forum. Was that too many classes in that last sentence? :) I think as a new oranization you will find that you should learn to post with care and keep it warm and fuzzy. If you do hire a security guard, please hire Jarrett. Jack has been wanting a piece of him for sometime! We still love ya's! Sad to say we will miss your last race of the year! Sounds like a great time. Gotta take care of momma, who is ill. Matt.

I would have to agree with TimSr and Lem dad regarding the mini quads. Whether you agree or not depends on your definition of "buying a win". If it means you better have thousands to dump into a quad in order to compete, well then they are right. Just like the "big" quads.

My daughter started racing mini quads back in 99 when she was only five. A lot of the machines were stock quads pulled out of the barn or garage, had a couple hundred dollars thrown into upgrades, and you were ready to race (and compete/win). Within three years that was no longer true, things had evolved so quickly that you had better have a second job or hit the lottery to pay for your kid's hobby (don't even think about having more than one child racing). Over six grand for a stock Cobra 50cc, c'mon?!

Jump ahead ten years to where my son wanted to start racing bikes. Add a couple hundred in upgrades to a bike and you're ready to roll. It all comes down to the money, you need deep pockets to race quads. With the way the economy has been the last four years, I'm surprised we have as many left racing as we do.

Darn it! I'm getting killed on here. Not only am I labeled as a quad supporter but now a mini quad parent. Lol. I give, we are gonna start racing unicross. I would do a YouTube post of them, but JO is much better at finding the good stuff! Ok back to the original topic. How do we improve quad turnout and all turnouts in general? Love.

Hey Nitro, I broke up my share of "mini quad parent" fights back in the day, but it nowhere compared with "cheerleader parents". Consider yourself blessed!

Darn it! I'm getting killed on here. Not only am I labeled as a quad supporter but now a mini quad parent. Lol. I give, we are gonna start racing unicross. I would do a YouTube post of them, but JO is much better at finding the good stuff! Ok back to the original topic. How do we improve quad turnout and all turnouts in general? Love.

No youtube right now, too busy. One thing that is often overlooked is sponsorship. Heck, getting a set of grips would be moer than you get at a National. I will be working on this too. You guys are wearing me out....arrrrggh!

One way to improve Quad turnouts is for someone to buy my son's 06 YZ85 so I can get him a nice used DDR that I'm looking at for him.

One way to improve Quad turnouts is for someone to buy my son's 06 YZ85 so I can get him a nice used DDR that I'm looking at for him.

Do not do that. Buy him a '06 YZ125 instead so he won't be ridiculed by EVERYONE at the track. At least give him a chance to ride with style and have a girlfriend instead of not having friends and destroying ruts. Please, I'm begging you to better your sons life. PLEASE, I know it's Halloween but don't scare me like that! Why would anyone want to ride something that's twice as heavy, less fun, more dangerous and more expensive then a bike... WHY???

photo-1.jpg

226252_10150251760205775_638365774_9311405_6330325_n.jpg

gd2.jpg

I agree with you Dunn. Except to say quad riders can't get a girl. Those quad nat guys pulls some women, lemme tell ya. Yowsa.

No hate here. Real men dont say things to make themsleves "feel" more manly. Real men dont feel anything. I suppose we are going talk about our feelings next?? Maybe all the quad nukers can get together hold hands and read books or something.

Do not do that. Buy him a '06 YZ125 instead so he won't be ridiculed by EVERYONE at the track. At least give him a chance to ride with style and have a girlfriend instead of not having friends and destroying ruts. Please, I'm begging you to better your sons life. PLEASE, I know it's Halloween but don't scare me like that! Why would anyone want to ride something that's twice as heavy, less fun, more dangerous and more expensive then a bike... WHY???

photo-1.jpg

226252_10150251760205775_638365774_9311405_6330325_n.jpg

gd2.jpg

Oh boy, Pits gonna shut the site down again.

Just a little over the top with this one!

There is no entry level class for little quads and I agree the last thing we need are more classes. I wouldn't suggest anyone run the lesser quads (Polinis, Kazumas,etc) on an mx track, they are just too dangerous. I agree if one shows up with a stock 50 drr they are going to get beat by a modified one with the right rider. This is where the parents have to decide what they want to do. Racing is expensive. With that being said, we have a fast 50. The motor is stock with some porting, cheap set-up just gotta learn how to clutch them. I do understand your point on discouraging the little ones when they show up to race and get lapped by faster bikes and/or riders. That is when WE the good parents that are left out there, talk with and encourage the newbies and little racers.

I give all the kudos in the world to those parnest who go out an encourage all the little guys, and those who will advance your kid to the appropriate class where they are competitive instead of keeping them in the class where they get the easy wins. We entered the mini scene in 1998, and I've seen the mini quads evolve, and the classes try to evolve with them. Racing IS expensive, but it need not be. We can't have classes for everyone, but we can make them more suitable for what we do have, and for what we want to have. I think turning away kids with "lessor" quads, and telling their parents to come back when they are ready to spend some real money, or expecting them to send hundreds or thousands in modifications for an entry level class has been the biggest obstacle and hindrance to growing the sport that we have faced. The CRA currently lists 4 mini quad classes. I think we easily could get by with 3, AND accomodate beginners on stock quads.

As for your coments about certain models being unsafe on a track, I could not disagree with you more. Any model is safe when ridden within its limitations. I get more nervous when I see a little kid on a highly modifed machine that is he is clearly afraid of, and obviously not ready to handle because his parents are trying to make him competitive in a modified class without first mastering the stock limitations of his machine.

Check out this pic from 1998. TriZinger, old style LT50s, Quad-Zinger, and a Taiwan 70cc thumper LT80 look alike. Sometimes a TRX or ATC70 as well. The only ones with suspension are the Taiwan quad and the TriZinger has little front springs. The Kazuma's were a big step up!

99septc.jpg

Timsr90 that is a cool pic! My boy started off on a Meerkat, he thrashed it. I still remember the day he blew it up, he was 2 and he had crocodile tears and all I could say was i'll buy you a new one. Hung myself right there. Off to the 2 stroke zookie. Ya just don't see those bikes much anymore except at the fairs. I do agree with you 100% that these things are money pits. Unfortunately the entire sport has become that way. I hope all the turnouts in general improve, I'm not much of a stick/ball sport guy. Those parents drive me nuts! I'll take a min quad parent all day long over the peewee power trippers. That's what makes me chuckle the most when some hate on quads and others, they remind me of those that make an arse out of themselves and they don't even know it. We will prolly do one more year of quads and racing in general. Unless things improve quite a bit we are done, I'm tired of all the drama and worries about what time we are gonna get out, is the track gonna be safe and the peeps in general ain't what they used to be. I think there was a gap of teaching respect and common sense from when I left off. Sportsmanship is low and general family atmosphere is gone. I hope Oma can bring that stuff back more than anything. But it is about the people to fix that. That's the thing about this site, there are only a handful of folks that post and get involved and a lot of them come off strong. When the average joe reads this stuff they are not going to want anything to do with us and or the sport. I find myself not enjoying the sport because I honestly spend to much time reading some of the garbage that gets thrown around on here. A lot more will have to change for the sport to come back and we can't check idiots at the door. Time will tell, we are laying low playing football, basketball and baseball. Seeing what other interests I may peak for him. Lets face it this sport will get you nowhere but broke. Most will never move on or make a living at it. So that is why the local stuff has to survive and be fun yet competitive. The pic from JDunn disturbs me that he would even have that. Is that a picture of that Stacy feller that is always hatin on here? Lol. I kid, keep it light!

No hate here. Real men dont say things to make themsleves "feel" more manly. Real men dont feel anything. I suppose we are going talk about our feelings next?? Maybe all the quad nukers can get together hold hands and read books or something.

I do apologize for that last post if it does get under anybody's skin(I was a little bit tipsy last night and found it hilarious) The main reason I dislike quads is because they are extremely dangerous. I have had the chance to come to your track once since I've been here. It was a great layout, very fun and technical. But for the life of me I can not figure out why you let the quads that were there that day out on the tracks with the bikes. At least have organized practice splitting the two. I feel like the inexperienced quad riders that don't know how to hold their line is almost the same as cars are to Harley's. In Texas at a couple of the national caliber tracks and most of the local ones do not even allow quads let alone have them on the track at the same time as bikes. Give them a 20 minute organized practice, boom problem solved. This is just my opinion from the outside looking in and I'm sure some other riders agree with me. Call me a nuker if you want to. It is a safety issue to me and I'll gladly nuke something to preserve my safety, just like the U.S. did to Japan.

I do apologize for that last post if it does get under anybody's skin(I was a little bit tipsy last night and found it hilarious) The main reason I dislike quads is because they are extremely dangerous. I have had the chance to come to your track once since I've been here. It was a great layout, very fun and technical. But for the life of me I can not figure out why you let the quads that were there that day out on the tracks with the bikes. At least have organized practice splitting the two. I feel like the inexperienced quad riders that don't know how to hold their line is almost the same as cars are to Harley's. In Texas at a couple of the national caliber tracks and most of the local ones do not even allow quads let alone have them on the track at the same time as bikes. Give them a 20 minute organized practice, boom problem solved. This is just my opinion from the outside looking in and I'm sure some other riders agree with me. Call me a nuker if you want to. It is a safety issue to me and I'll gladly nuke something to preserve my safety, just like the U.S. did to Japan.

If we start getting more quads, we will do split sessions. Right now, there really arent that many. The last time we had an incident was when I bumped into Jason Rogers. I worry more about the kids that sneak out there more than anything.

Yeah you do have a good point there. With the handful of quads that come you can usually time it to put yourself on the other side of the track from them. Or at least that's what I do for safety reasons.

We have more issues with underskilled bikes running into other bikes, I guess ya just gotta watch everyone closely.

He hated his pw 50, "too slow" he said. I had that thing pimped out to. Decked head, FMF pipe, QT gears. Hell, he said that when he was 3! He rides bikes alot more than his quad. He just likes racing the quad the most cause it is faster and has better suspension. We will be upgrading to a KX 65 soon. Man after reading this I am a parent that buys wins. LOL. His current ride is a bored, massaged,FMF pipe,FoxAir shock CRF 50. No wonder I have no money! What can I say, the kid loves speed and if he asks for more I give it to him!

Back