Improving Quad turnouts, and racer turnouts in general

We have more issues with underskilled bikes running into other bikes, I guess ya just gotta watch everyone closely.

Yeah you're right on that. Or find a good way to educate people to hold their lines, especially with the little guys. That to me is the biggest way to improve safety.

Hopefully something develops into an intermediate quad class. similar to the old blaster quad class. knew alot of guys who raced that class years ago and i dont think there was ever a class that replaced it. might be a good idea to have a class for that age 8 to16 group.

I will add a little to the OP's topic on how to improve quad turnout. I am fully aware that quad turnout has declined over the years. Also, the number of riders looking to just practice have decreased to the dedicated local riders and the National guys. There are not a lot of riders that go to practice during the week that aren't really into racing local or Nationals. Years ago, in the hay days-2004ish, you can find 10-15 guys that were the average rider, 10-15 of the local racers and 5-10 of the "National Boys." This past year I know a lot of my friends (close to 12 that ride) did not have the money or time to ride. Business picked up and they had to work, 1 broke his back, another bought a house, throw in a bunch of new additions to the family and my local group is dwindling.

Quad Practice has to be moved to either Monday, Tuesday, or maybe even Wednesday. I will give you first hand advice from racing Nationals since 2003. I have been to A LOT and raced a lot as well. Many of the National guys are packed and loaded on Wednesday and leave for the track on Thursdays. Of course, they aren't going to practice on a Thursday. They have a regiment that follows the racing schedule. If you want to entice Upperman, Hammie, and any of the other National guys, you cannot expect anyone to come on a Thursday. I have never went to a track on a Thursday during the Nationals. I've done only a few Wednedsay practices but that was 2004-2005. Why didn't anyone show up the weeks after Nationals...? I surely don't want to continue to practice or ride after 30 weeks of a non-stop regiment of training/riding/racing, etc. We/they need a break and the weeks following the season is that time period.

If Tuesday is normally a dedicated bike night, then state, "Hey everyone, we are giving this a shot. We want quad riders to enjoy our track too so the whole motocross community can enjoy what we have established: a highly recognized track. Quad practice will be on Tuesdays, but we are not excluding bikes. Just understand we are catering to them (quads) on Tuesday and it is their day on the track. Feel free to come ride." Consider it an open practice but let it be known that day is for quads and if there are any complaints from a bike rider to 'deal with it' because you have to entice to quads." I don't see why an open practice is now possible or both to enjoy. OIR had days of combined practices, but that didn't happen for too long. To the quad riders' dismay.

A phone call away - Mark, Jodi, Laz, & Tom (Baldwin, JB, GT Thunder, & Atv Fourplay, respectively) are very well connected in the atv community. A simple mass email to them to help promote your track for them to put on Facebook. I can see most of the local shops willing to support (via free mass media) our local tracks. Don't forget ProQuad, Six5, HMF, Wiseco, Cometic, and many other establish firms in Ohio. Ohio Crew is a good resource too. They are actively involved into Ohio based racers. Ohio has a very large group of Motocross guys, but you have to (and many tracks have) keep pushing into newer advertising territories via the local shops. Maybe call or make some flyers for the local Honda or Yamaha shop. If that flyer turns in 1 sale... BOOM paid for their efforts. Baldwin does bike engines too. Why not try to contact him for some cross promotional work? I'm willing to venture a guess he may be interested in entertaining a discussion about this all.

I'm no one special, but I always try to look at things from a fair/equal perspective. WE ALL WANT TO RIDE/RACE. I have no problems practicing on a track next to a bike. He/she wants to ride as do I. I respect them as they should me. Share the track. Rip your motos. Let's all have fun.

CRA had a JR Woodsman class for younger riders.

Also, why not look to the extremely popular atv sites to promote your races? AtvRiders, YFZzcentral, all of the other "central" forums, trx450r(org), etc. The 10 minutes to put up a post should grab the attention of other riders... I did see this done for "The Battle" at BC on YFZ.

The Battle was on atvriders and yfz central. I will tell you that there will be the equivalent of Woodsman and JR. Woodsman, but we are using more tradtional names, Quad C and Quad Schoolboy.

Kovatch, you are spot on. i actually fall into one of those categories. think you and i may know alot of the same riders. i will say it surprises me that more riders show up for a race than showing up for practice. Could it have something to do with the weekend? weekday practice might not be the best way to go.

If any quads are looking for ride time we do have a split practice this sunday, Bikes only 11-3 and quads are welcome 3-5! I know its not a lot of time for quads but we usually get only about 10 and we have to watch running late on a sunday night or are neighbors wont like us very much!;)

CRA had a JR Woodsman class for younger riders.

Also, why not look to the extremely popular atv sites to promote your races? AtvRiders, YFZzcentral, all of the other "central" forums, trx450r(org), etc. The 10 minutes to put up a post should grab the attention of other riders... I did see this done for "The Battle" at BC on YFZ.

Its definately a good idea, and it doesnt cost anything, but in all reality, most of those are national forums and you find relatively few locals per site. Most of the last several OTC racers (who were NOT racers before) came from craigslist in the motorcycles for sale section. Ohio Mafia Riders has low traffic and little MX interest. Quadzone is run by GT Thunder, and its one of the probably better ones for local riding though it still carries little MX, but the truth is there really is no Pitracer equivilent for quads. Years ago some young guys ran OhioQuadracing and it was great, but it has been gone for some time. This is really the only place where you can find all the local MX Racing information in one shot, and where the promoters actually participate. A lot of quad guys come here to get racing information, but don't post or participate because too many regulars can't let a quad post go by without a bunch of bashing. Its funny once or twice, but it gets old after a while. It is nice to see so many people I have never seen before weighing in on this thread. I'll congratulate Malvern and Briarcliff for conveying that you are listening and want to hear quad riders' input. Maybe a Quad forum on Pitracer would wrok now that quad riders know you are paying attention.

I will add a little to the OP's topic on how to improve quad turnout. I am fully aware that quad turnout has declined over the years. Also, the number of riders looking to just practice have decreased to the dedicated local riders and the National guys. There are not a lot of riders that go to practice during the week that aren't really into racing local or Nationals. Years ago, in the hay days-2004ish, you can find 10-15 guys that were the average rider, 10-15 of the local racers and 5-10 of the "National Boys." This past year I know a lot of my friends (close to 12 that ride) did not have the money or time to ride. Business picked up and they had to work, 1 broke his back, another bought a house, throw in a bunch of new additions to the family and my local group is dwindling.

Quad Practice has to be moved to either Monday, Tuesday, or maybe even Wednesday. I will give you first hand advice from racing Nationals since 2003. I have been to A LOT and raced a lot as well. Many of the National guys are packed and loaded on Wednesday and leave for the track on Thursdays. Of course, they aren't going to practice on a Thursday. They have a regiment that follows the racing schedule. If you want to entice Upperman, Hammie, and any of the other National guys, you cannot expect anyone to come on a Thursday. I have never went to a track on a Thursday during the Nationals. I've done only a few Wednedsay practices but that was 2004-2005. Why didn't anyone show up the weeks after Nationals...? I surely don't want to continue to practice or ride after 30 weeks of a non-stop regiment of training/riding/racing, etc. We/they need a break and the weeks following the season is that time period.

If Tuesday is normally a dedicated bike night, then state, "Hey everyone, we are giving this a shot. We want quad riders to enjoy our track too so the whole motocross community can enjoy what we have established: a highly recognized track. Quad practice will be on Tuesdays, but we are not excluding bikes. Just understand we are catering to them (quads) on Tuesday and it is their day on the track. Feel free to come ride." Consider it an open practice but let it be known that day is for quads and if there are any complaints from a bike rider to 'deal with it' because you have to entice to quads." I don't see why an open practice is now possible or both to enjoy. OIR had days of combined practices, but that didn't happen for too long. To the quad riders' dismay.

A phone call away - Mark, Jodi, Laz, & Tom (Baldwin, JB, GT Thunder, & Atv Fourplay, respectively) are very well connected in the atv community. A simple mass email to them to help promote your track for them to put on Facebook. I can see most of the local shops willing to support (via free mass media) our local tracks. Don't forget ProQuad, Six5, HMF, Wiseco, Cometic, and many other establish firms in Ohio. Ohio Crew is a good resource too. They are actively involved into Ohio based racers. Ohio has a very large group of Motocross guys, but you have to (and many tracks have) keep pushing into newer advertising territories via the local shops. Maybe call or make some flyers for the local Honda or Yamaha shop. If that flyer turns in 1 sale... BOOM paid for their efforts. Baldwin does bike engines too. Why not try to contact him for some cross promotional work? I'm willing to venture a guess he may be interested in entertaining a discussion about this all.

I'm no one special, but I always try to look at things from a fair/equal perspective. WE ALL WANT TO RIDE/RACE. I have no problems practicing on a track next to a bike. He/she wants to ride as do I. I respect them as they should me. Share the track. Rip your motos. Let's all have fun.

Excellent! We need more quad riders on here...where you at Nick T.#85...its all motocross riders in ohio...and the OHIO CREW, sweettt!!!!

Yeah you're right on that. Or find a good way to educate people to hold their lines, especially with the little guys. That to me is the biggest way to improve safety.

education to riders on rider safety...needful...HOLDING YOUR LINE #1 tip on rider safety

Lets not go all crazy now....

i think it's a good idea. A sub-forum would draw more quad riders to participate in the local discussion and thus local racing. I've read this forum for years but only recently started participating because I got fed up with all the bashing and saw some quad riders like Tim trying to make a positive change. Communication is key and would help improve turnout.

kovatch is spot on. Moto is moto. Bikers need to drop the superiority complex already.

Lets not go all crazy now....

Thanks Kovatch!! Woody guess I really need the Ohio Crew website to get a forumn now!!!

Also quad guys need to come out for this Sunday at Malvern
they are offering a pro quad purse if 10 or more riders sign up with $500 plus 100% payback.
We need to show malvern that quads would like to stay!! be there for the two day event this weekend!!

Excellent! We need more quad riders on here...where you at Nick T.#85...its all motocross riders in ohio...and the OHIO CREW, sweettt!!!!

I’m right here, just soaking this all in. You know me I’m not going to bitch and complain I only care about one thing riding. I don’t care about how rough the track is from bikes, I actually enjoy riding with bikes. It gives you more opportunities to pass and think on your feet, in turn become a better rider. I did what I could for Malvern quad only practices I was there every week and posted it on FB trying to get more people to come. I was really bummed when Malvern stop these because I did everything I could to help and still wasn’t enough, That little extra seat time each week helped me up so much this year with nationals approaching on the horizon for next spring, the more riding the better. For 2013 I’m making a huge jump to race for the Ohio crew and win myself, the team, and the entire local track scene a national championship. I wouldn't be the rider I am today if I didn’t have the riding opportunity iv had at local tracks. The local tracks is where all national riders get there start, Josh Upperman said in response to a question about racing a night national on T.V. a few weeks "I have been racing at a local track under the lights for year (Malvern)" This gave him the edge he needed that weekend at the first Night National in the history AMA ATVA. We all got our start somewhere; it’s the local tracks that make us who we are...</SPAN>

Nitrofish, This is what I think an modern entry level mini quad class should look like with one exception. The one quad was modified way beyond the kid's level of skill development. He looked to be afraid of his own machine. This was a very positive experience for these kids and most will look forward to racing again. If you added a half dozen typical CRA jr mini Quad racers, it would have been very discouraging for a lot of them, AND their parents, and a lot more dangerous. If you nurture and accomodate beginners this year, they will become next year's Jr and Sr Mini quad racers, and later big quad racers. If their first race experince is negative or discouraging, a majority will not have a 2nd experience.

Nitrofish, This is what I think an modern entry level mini quad class should look like with one exception. The one quad was modified way beyond the kid's level of skill development. He looked to be afraid of his own machine. This was a very positive experience for these kids and most will look forward to racing again. If you added a half dozen typical CRA jr mini Quad racers, it would have been very discouraging for a lot of them, AND their parents, and a lot more dangerous. If you nurture and accomodate beginners this year, they will become next year's Jr and Sr Mini quad racers, and later big quad racers. If their first race experince is negative or discouraging, a majority will not have a 2nd experience.

[video=youtube;y1EEzHRxoJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EEzHRxoJU[/video]
I agree that an entry level class would be cool like the bikes have, but I just don't see it happening. I think CRA intended the 50 class to be a beginner class the rules permit the more advanced machines in. I'm not sure if they banned the DRRs,Apexs and such that they would have much of a turnout. As it is now there are only a handful in the 50 class now and they are all the latter. You would have to add that class to the list. It's a big step from those 50s to the Drr 50s. It's a big step from Drr 50s to 70s. I'm not sure what is the right thing to do, we raced 1 fair race on a LT 50 and he has been on his Drr 50 since he was 4. We kept it all stock the first year, then added mods to it as he progressed. I would be in favor of a true beginner class and then the 50s,70s,90s and then the shifters. I guess it will be up to the new world order to dictate that one. The video is cool, the kids are having fun and learning. I truly don't see a modified one out there, the Drr is stock and still oil injected. It no doubt has an advantage over the others though. Those things stock are maybe 5 HP, they get more than double the numbers now. I don't think the kids get all that discouraged over not winning, it is usually us that get upset. I think it is more important to make the tracks suit the beginners more so than the bikes. Give the back sides of the big jumps more roll and don't run the little guys after a bunch of bike thrashing classes. Jack runs his modified crf 50 in with the mini trail jr class now and I know he more than likely wont win against the older kids and much bigger bikes, but I don't tell him that. Just go out and have fun and try to win it. I am in the same boat as a lot of parents in this respect. I know I need to get him something that he can compete on in the correct class but I just don't have the cash as of now to do it. So we race anyway. As for the quad, I pimp him out to try and get as much support as we can and we are fortunate enough to have some great sponsors that make it possible. So if you want your quad to go fast, look good, get one off machined parts, ship internationally, have the best gear and the best protection available. See list below! :)

Thanks Kovatch!! Woody guess I really need the Ohio Crew website to get a forumn now!!!

In reality if we are really trying to achieve equality, this is the forum to be on. There used to be a quad section here, maybe it's time to open it again if people (quad riders) would get serious about using this site.

Sharc had great input in another thread about riders being jumped on.
I said just hold your line, and sharc said its easier to say that when you're the one jumping, it doesn't click like that when you're still the one on the ground.

Sharc had great input in another thread about riders being jumped on.
I said just hold your line, and sharc said its easier to say that when you're the one jumping, it doesn't click like that when you're still the one on the ground.

I'ved seen two interesting ideas on addressing that, as well as the guys who like to weave in the middle and roadblock faster riders. At Earlywine Indoor track, they put cones in the middle of the track in some problem areas, and riders got docked if they hit them. That seemed to work well on a smaller indoor track. The other one I loved was at Pine Lake for the EDT Series. There they built up a hefty berm right in the middle of the track in key problem areas. This made it much easier to pass slower riders as well, becuase you simply grabbed the line they weren't in.

Back