Action Sports to host opening round of the 2013 AMA Vintage National Championship Series

If AHRMA does a poor job on simple stuff such as returning emails or phone calls, members will talk about it and will think twice when it comes time to renew their membership. When I asked AHRMA why none of the 3 people got back to me, they had no excuse. You telling people to sweep issues under the rug isn't helping anyone as any decent organization will view a valid complaint as an opportunity to do a better job.

Speaking of "lightening up" and "don't get your panties in a bunch".

Is that two concepts you were attempting to exhibit in your last few posts here?

"why don't you guys just go out and race. if its the membership fees or the politics your worried about then I suggest you find a new hobby like basket weaving or a local book club at the library. I don't recognize anyone posting on here as past or future pro riders looking for that factory ride. I do see a few guy that may make good traction to some guys who really want to enjoy vintage racing. So save some cash this winter, work on your bike and your physical condition. Then be ready to have fun racing this summer at as many races as you can make".

I love riding the old bikes too. You got me in 2012 and we raced some very fast intermediates who should be moved up this year. It's fun to look at the lap times which are posted on the net. Check the winning Times in the intermediate class against the experts. I have two new cross country bikes ready to go this year and may run some plus 50 this season. Hope more guys come out to the events. There is nothing better then a full gate and a packed first turn.

I don't want to stir anything up, but aren't those the same shorts as the podium shot from Mid-Ohio, NQ1965? :)

Kevin

HaHa,:)

They just might be, not sure. I have 3 or 4 pair of cut-offs that I save for special occasions.

So what is Log Road like? Anybody have any pics?

Log road is sweet. He has a very vintage friendly track, lots of sand and runs a great program. He also fits in some modern stuff ...

I love riding the old bikes too. You got me in 2012 and we raced some very fast intermediates who should be moved up this year. It's fun to look at the lap times which are posted on the net. Check the winning Times in the intermediate class against the experts. I have two new cross country bikes ready to go this year and may run some plus 50 this season. Hope more guys come out to the events. There is nothing better then a full gate and a packed first turn.

A word of advise from my lone 2012 AHRMA race weekend at Athens... Don't put in a decent lap time on your 50+ vintage bike. You could find yourself bumped from intermediate to expert class during your 50+ PV race. That was one very strange race experience with no good explanation or correction at the track on race day.

What new CC bikes do you have? I just ride my trusty '83 YZ 125. Even though it proved to be a little less than trusty at Athens last time out.

we raced some very fast intermediates who should be moved up this year. It's fun to look at the lap times which are posted on the net. Check the winning Times in the intermediate class against the experts.

Their overall times showed them to be anything but Intermediate class. They smoked us.

As it stands, I will put Log Road in my 2013 schedule, and look forward to it. This will be our first road trip race. The only worry I have is my youngest son is getting married, I believe the last weekend in June. I'll have trouble getting out of that.

Aerial photos from Log Roads' website:

track%20layout%202.jpg

track%20layout%201.jpg

track%20layout%203.jpg

I don't think I've road sand before. Looks fun.

Log road is a fun track and i always like riding there. It can take a lot of rain and always has lots of room to pass. It's always worth the trip up there. I have two Yamaha IT 200's ready to go for CC. It's always more fun with a big turn out so I hope a lot of the guys who look at this come and ride. I see over 1200 views on this topic.

I've always heard good things about Log Road and would like give it a try. I really do need to spend some time working on the old bikes if I intend on running a race series. I do have one AMA '96 and older bike ready with another in the works. A nice IT 200 sure would be a good find.

The 50+ class is usually one of the largest. It can be one of the fastest too when the old pros come out to race.

Log Road is a lot of fun. Didn't you guys watch my helmet vid from there on the Mighty 465?

[video=vimeo;5634076]https://vimeo.com/5634076[/video]

A word of advise from my lone 2012 AHRMA race weekend at Athens... Don't put in a decent lap time on your 50+ vintage bike. You could find yourself bumped from intermediate to expert class during your 50+ PV race. That was one very strange race experience with no good explanation or correction at the track on race day.

Don't even get me started on AHRMA skill levels. They have the most skewed skill levels, and bogus advancement system out there! I suppose it is fine for people that never do anything except race AHRMA, but for anyone that races modern bike and other sanctions AHRMA is just way off base. Their beginners call themselves Intermediates and they force anyone that can do more than shift using a clutch to be called an "Expert." I wish AHRMA would just do away with the skill levels all together and create classes like "Racer" and "Sport."

Log Road is a lot of fun. Didn't you guys watch my helmet vid from there on the Mighty 465?

[video=vimeo;5634076]https://vimeo.com/5634076[/video]

Don't even get me started on AHRMA skill levels. They have the most skewed skill levels, and bogus advancement system out there! I suppose it is fine for people that never do anything except race AHRMA, but for anyone that races modern bike and other sanctions AHRMA is just way off base. Their beginners call themselves Intermediates and they force anyone that can do more than shift using a clutch to be called an "Expert." I wish AHRMA would just do away with the skill levels all together and create classes like "Racer" and "Sport."

I saw that coming !!!!!!

I saw that coming !!!!!!

I know. I held out for as long as I could.

Enough about this, let's quitting jacking this thread with AHRMA stuff and enjoy that there looks to be a new series to race in 2013! I might bring the '83 RM125 down from it's display platform and set it up for Kari to race!

Hello Robin,

I don't believe we have met, and I am not a regular here, although I do lurk about from time to time.

Robin you said that you were out just for fun, and quite frankly that is how we view it. I do not believe that I was involved with your grading situation, but you never know. I have found, and can offer example after example of folks that have been moved up and then win that class as well. It is about fun and fairness and I can tell you that we have never had one instance where someone was maliciously bumped. Of course if you disagree, you can always protest your ranking and another grading body will have a look at you. In terms of what the AMA is doing, I just don't know. I am an earned life time AMA member and have been greatly disappointed over the last few years with what they have offered, and this is not just sour grapes over the Mid-Ohio fiasco, but genuinely feel that the sport could be enhanced through cooperation and not competing for a small pool of riders. So if it is fun and fairness you are after and you feel that you were slighted, I invite you to drop me a line. AHRMA900@gmail.com
Respectfully,
Fred Guidi
AHRMA Off Road Coordinator

Fred,

No need to take care of me or bring me back into the fold as I'm a modern bike guy for 99.9% of my stuff still racing Loretta Lynn's almost every year. I only joined into the AHRMA stuff a few years back to join buddies at Mid Ohio when it was still a joint event. Since I'm a current racer in the AMA national events as a "B" rider, I signed up for Intermediate at the Mid Ohio event and I was racing a 1983 Husky 510 TX 4 stroke which due to it's unique character fits in a variety of classes. There was some cooperation back then between AHRMA and AMA as far as skill structure goes where a guy could rider AHRMA expert and AMA National B class, which is no longer the case. Kip Bigelow of the AMA specifically told me in 2010 that if you race "expert" anywhere including AHRMA events, you're an A rider as far as the AMA is concerned now, which is directly opposite of what Pitracer was told by the person in Kip's position previously (but when the AMA and AHRMA worked together). And that's the problem, I won't race AHRMA while I'm still running B classes at Loretta Lynns to not screw up my eligibility, because in MX for AHRMA, I should be an expert, but I might do 1 event every 2 years. Anyone that races both knows the world of difference between the 2 groups and who is called a expert...... and in the realm of AHRMA, I should be an expert based on the membership skill there. What burned me about the AHRMA bump up is that I was bumped to expert in my first race ever with AHRMA when I rode 4 classes, in 3 classes I was beaten by another rider on a CR480R while in the 4stroke B class (there were like 2 riders total and we were run with expert four strokes) and I was the fastest in the entire group and won that class and beat the AHRMA experts in 4 strokes too along with a high ranking official who bumped me immediately. I had a black stripe on Thursday in the mail when the race was just completed on the prior Sunday, which was much faster than the 2+ months it took to get my membership card when I sent them money, it seemed important for someone to get me out of the class immediately.......but the rider that beat me in 3 classes straight up was left alone and not bumped up, how could that possibly be? Well it was because He wasn't against one of the "high ranking officials" in order to get evaluated. I could care less really, but you lost a possible every once in while AHRMA rider (in me with the split and new rules) due to the bumping process and due to the skill level conflict with AMA. I could see in the future where I would want to race these events when I'm older and nostalgic about the bikes I grew up on, but I'm afraid that AMA and AHRMA are putting each other out of business before I'd become an old bike mostly enthusiast. And I'm not saying I'm happy with the AMA either..... but you guys need to work together to get the riders that are out there places to ride without fighting over that small number between the groups.

I can honestly say that I had more fun riding the Trials event at Mid Ohio Vintage Days with zero experience in Trials and learning as I went along as it was just fun. No skill level questions or protests, no fights or protests over positions, just fun on an old motorcycle for the day, which is exactly what I was looking for, a fun departure from my norm of high pressure Loretta Lynn's races. The BS that comes with the skill levels, national points, and everything else in the MX side was a turn off towards AHRMA organization and the riders that take it as seriously as a world championship. There are guys that see it as an OLD BIKE SHOW, and others there that really want to race old bikes. It's hard to mix those two in my book which is why the "Racer" and Sport" groupings might be a good idea. Now the fall out of local Ohio / Michigan tracks that worked with AHRMA hosting events in the past falling off the AHRMA schedule when they happened to help out with AMA Vintage Days at Mid Ohio looks to suspicious to be a coincidence and illustrates my point that someone in the groups is in a pissing contest that is bad for the riders that just want to have fun.

Fred, you should be mending fences between the AMA and AHRMA and not worrying about me in particular to make things better for larger groups of people. I'm one guy that will ride 1 event close to home if it's not conflicting with Loretta Lynn's type stuff. But the AMA / AHRMA rift creates lots of problems for lots of riders. And that's just my opinion about the whole thing...... take it for what it's worth.

RocketRobin, so you know. Fred is a Good Guy (tm) and is committed to making everybody happy which I'm sure makes him crazy sometimes. But he's an example of the sort of folks that *could* make AHRMA a fun place to race. If everybody at AMA and AHRMA had the brains and cojones of Fred, all us old phart racers would be happy as clams.

Don't let this information stop you from telling Fred or anybody else what you think. But you should know.

As for the pissing contest between AHRMA and AMA, buy me a couple beers and I'll give you an earful. Otherwise it's not worth talking about.

RocketRobin, so you know. Fred is a Good Guy (tm) and is committed to making everybody happy which I'm sure makes him crazy sometimes. But he's an example of the sort of folks that *could* make AHRMA a fun place to race. If everybody at AMA and AHRMA had the brains and cojones of Fred, all us old phart racers would be happy as clams.

Don't let this information stop you from telling Fred or anybody else what you think. But you should know.

As for the pissing contest between AHRMA and AMA, buy me a couple beers and I'll give you an earful. Otherwise it's not worth talking about.

X2 on everthing that you said!

I've met Fred in the past and know that he's one of the good guys. My frustration is not with Fred, but with both organizations as a whole when you are talking about a great past time that so many people would like to enjoy. The bikes are cool, the riders are friendly (for the most part), everyone has a story to tell about their bike and rebuilding it or finding it somewhere, and the events can be lots of fun both to ride and to bench race. The rift between the two organizations and the ongoing war between them here in Ohio is ruining it for everyone and SHOULD be the focus of anyone that is in power to make old bike racing better, that's just the way I feel about it. Like I mentioned before, I'm not wrapped up in it as a participant now and my feelings can be taken with a grain of salt, but I'd like to have a place in the future to ride old bikes when I'm ready for the old bike racing circuit to be my main form of competition besides the local Bomber classes.

And I think that the best plan to increase and sustain membership would be to allow a Mini Class and get the dads bringing their kids in on the fun. Everyone that grew up riding had a RM, YZ, KX, or CR 80 in their past and would love to see their kid race one of those which would in turn get membership for the future.

It's interesting that I just received my "Vintage Views" (AHRMA magazine) yesterday and it had some anecdotal references to membership being strong,good turnouts at events etc.
No actual empirical data was presented so take it for what it's worth I guess.

When I started about 13 years ago organizing folks locally to get together for some fun racing on old bikes, we all got together at Smith Rd., I talked George into letting us have our own gate and a "run what you brung, no skill level differentiation" race. I look back at those races and they were some of the most fun I ever had on a vintage bike. A lot of those guys were or eventually joined AHRMA as did I. Many also raced for series championship points like I did, travelled a ton, raced some great venues and made a bunch of awesome memories. The difference in attendance at races sure seemed higher then than now....

In my opinion the AMA has taken an opportunity to offer a different structure to their events and classes that some current/former AHRMA competitors have been asking for.

AHRMA trustees are up for election and all the candidates had space to describe their vision for AHRMA. It was a mix of old and new candidates. As would be expected there are some diverse ideas between the old and the new.......we will see what the membership wants after the votes are tallied in the late winter I guess.....

Back