Winter Projects?

mx049

PR Elite
Last time I raced a 1978 RM125 was back in 1981 just before buying my 81 YZ250.......the RM I have now was a project I bought from Maico Mark. I have it about 80% done...new engine, body work etc.....just need to finish the Simons Forks and Fox shocks and assemble it......

361- Sounds like we may see this one on the track this summer. Go figure 1 or 1-1/2 years after selling the 78 125 to you we end up picking up a 79 CR 125.
Too much money in it & a daughter that quit riding almost wish I would have kept the Suzuki as parts for them see easier to come by.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Had another stray follow me home.....Pit's RM Rescue!

3F73Jb3Nc5N95Kc5Fed1g48de1d166c1d18c5.jpg

mx049

PR Elite
Had another stray follow me home.....Pit's RM Rescue!

View attachment 7903

Pit- Congrats on the new addition.

Bike looks good & you are hooked like so many of us out there...so much for thinning your Suzuki heard!!!!

Is it running or a total restore project?

I was up to 10 bikes at one point but am doing to 4 which may turn into 2 or 3 depending on my recovery.

Chris- you have yours looking very sweet! What year is it?

Maico Mark

mx049

PR Elite
My winter project was finally getting the rider fixed. Had back surgery 8 days ago to fuse 3 lowest back disk with graph, rods & screw.

Hope to be able to at least play ride again one day & racing....will have to wait & see on that one as my outcome is still unknown plus
have about 6 months of healing time for the graph to take and gain strength.

If I can hope to be on the track in a few years as will not take any risk for a long time.

Still have a 83 Maico 250 that was underway being restored & have 95% of the parts to do it. Maybe next fall or winter.

Picture of my 76 Maico AW 250 just waiting on a rider as it needs nothing but numbers & some pre-mix in the tank!

Maico Mark

Attachments

• 100_0892.jpg
    100_0892.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 171

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Chris I can't believe you found a bike with your number on it already. I had seen that one listed and the "firm" price. Looks like you got a good deal as even the so called firm price was a good deal.

Mark - Low compression, not running and I will go through the whole thing and rebuild from scratch. But I got it really cheap.

NQ1965

PR Elite
My winter project was finally getting the rider fixed. Had back surgery 8 days ago to fuse 3 lowest back disk with graph, rods & screw.

Hope to be able to at least play ride again one day & racing....will have to wait & see on that one as my outcome is still unknown plus

If I can hope to be on the track in a few years as will not take any risk for a long time.

Still have a 83 Maico 250 that was underway being restored & have 95% of the parts to do it. Maybe next fall or winter.

Picture of my 76 Maico AW 250 just waiting on a rider as it needs nothing but numbers & some pre-mix in the tank!

Maico Mark

Maico's always had a Badass look to them. I would of thought that by 1976 they would have had the pipe up and over?

Mosher

PR Founding Father
Anyone interested in a 1978 YZ400? I just picked it up for .50/cc. It has good compression, all original, sunbaked. Carb and plastic is junk. Has OEM ape hangers. Not sure if I want to make it a Dan Gibson Replica, or part it out. It kinda depresses me to part stuff...but not sure when I can get to it.

mx049

PR Elite
NQ1965,

No up pipes on Maicos until 1978.

I did pick up a used on on e-bay years ago but never put it on.

The pipe on there now is a Maico's Only but like stocker better as it has more low & mid just need to fix silencer core on it.

Pit, that is the best way to get on as nothing beats a 100% rebuild & knowing what you have.

yz360b

PR Addict

Maico Mark

Hey Mark I will volunteer to be a test rider at Smith Rd or Athens on that 76 AW--- No post vintage ride ready yet !! Tom

C Hudak

PR Addict
Chris I can't believe you found a bike with your number on it already. I had seen that one listed and the "firm" price. Looks like you got a good deal as even the so called firm price was a good deal.

Mark - Low compression, not running and I will go through the whole thing and rebuild from scratch. But I got it really cheap.
Ya Pit, the more I look at it the better deal I think I got. I haven't ridden it yet, so judgement is still out. It has some nice parts on it though, full Hinson clutch, in good shape. A FMF exhaust, flywheel, Vforce reed block, Tag triple clamps, and some PC gaurds.

C Hudak

PR Addict
I found the problem with the clutch, some one just put some new plates and springs in and when they put it back together they made one simple mistake. The thrush washer was on the wrong side of the thrush bearing. That put the bearing up against the aluminum pressure plate. My guess is it last about 2-4 rides before the bearing wore into the pressure plate.

evomx244

PR Addict
Anyone interested in a 1978 YZ400? I just picked it up for .50/cc. It has good compression, all original, sunbaked. Carb and plastic is junk. Has OEM ape hangers. Not sure if I want to make it a Dan Gibson Replica, or part it out. It kinda depresses me to part stuff...but not sure when I can get to it.

Kurt I am on a yz kick right now

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
'91 KX125 basket case came home with me for next to nothing yesterday.

Anyone know what forks those are? Guy said they are from a 250 and I know the '91's were blue....

91kx125.jpg