Practice Safety?

When I broke my arm at Smith Road in 06 the hospital asked how it happened. When I told them riding a dirtbike the questions turned to where and what track. Next thing I knew there was a sherrif in the hospital room asking the same questions! After a few irritating minutes I told them I wasn't sueing anyone and that I wouldn't tell them any specifics. I was riding out of my own desire and ambition and it was no ones fault but mine. I made the choice to ride there and signed a waiver releasing the owner of any responsibility. Isn't a persons promise/word/signature worth anything?

What has this world come to? Everything is some one elses fault these days instead of taking responsibility for your own actions.

What has this world come to? Everything is some one elses fault these days instead of taking responsibility for your own actions.

And there is the root of all our problems. No responsibility for your own actions or working to make your own way in life!

Thank the liberals for giving us the ability to abuse it. They create a society dependent on the system so they can do what they want and still get voted in. But thats a topic for the non moto section! Lol.....

Rising insurance

I have considered turning BC into a non profit religiously affiliation, you cant sue a church can ya? A motocross church, but a church nonetheless.

I dont know if a club matters, that would be a question someone at Western Reserve or a club. I do see clubs benefitting from this, they more than likely have people who will volunteer to do the things that they need because they are virtually non profit. I guess I would be non profit too If I left it at $25 to ride.

Thats the one thing I dont have access to, a good lawyer that rides. I have just about all other services covered.

We are a non-profit and that does not keep the law suits away. We have been fortunate not to have any related to the track; however, we have with other events held on the grounds. Lawyers will go were the money is deepest, so in the case of the OMA they would go after the individual track owner. We have learned that something in the motocross world has ruffled the feathers of the insurance companies. We carry insurance year round and was told to expect our coverage to double if not triple for this year because of the track. We have always had flaggers for practice and numerous members of our board are licensed medical professionals. We have a local squad that can dispatch and be here within minutes but even with all of that our insurance will still go up.

We have learned that something in the motocross world has ruffled the feathers of the insurance companies. We carry insurance year round and was told to expect our coverage to double if not triple for this year because of the track.

Let me see, would it be the fact that there are more injuries, and of more serious nature than ever before?
Just recalling how many "SERIOUS" injuries I have read about on this site over the last 5 years, keeps me second guessing my participation all the time.

A few years back, two of my co-workers were off work due to serious motorcycle injuries (street bikes and w/their wives also) and the insurance claims were between 1 and 2 million dollars. My employer is a very large corp but it got their attention.

Sign of the times.
Everything is gonna change.

Unless you got to hospital by ambulance never tell them what happened if on a motorcycle. Say Bicycle, tripped in yard, Girlfriend/wife kicked my ass or Etc. Never say Motorcycle.

I usually "fall down the stairs" but this last time I "was riding my bicycle and hit the tree in front of my house". Ironically my medical has never gone after my home owners insurance but God forbid if it were my "neighbors tree"

Just curious.... Does this apply to members only tracks too... Say crow canyon... Now that people bought in and it's private do they still have all the insurance rules?

I recently got hurt riding at my own house. I was out of it and my wife told the er what happend. Well guess who the insurance came after, the home owner, My wife. Thatll teach her for being honest, lol. I still get letters from insurance asking me to go after the home owner.

I usually "fall down the stairs" but this last time I "was riding my bicycle and hit the tree in front of my house". Ironically my medical has never gone after my home owners insurance but God forbid if it were my "neighbors tree"

I have fallen out of a bunk bed, off a ladder, and my personal favorite: I fell asleep fixing my roof. I love dicking with the ER people.

For most reading this, you must change clothes to get them to believe you.

After I broke my foot my insurance immediately sent me a form that was mandatory for me to fill out (so it said) asking: When, where- whose property, what were you doing when it happened, how many people saw it. I kept throwing it away and they kept sending it week in and week out.

Finally I just filled out the paperwork said I was at this hole in the wall briarcliff, the track was unsafe, there were way too many riders out there. I was out there for C practice by mistake--and of course and it was the tracks responsibility to pre-screen me off the track because I was a danger to myself--remember I'm not accountable for my own actions because this is America. Bottom line it was all JO's fault. I'm considering sueing him for lost wages of 6 days. Probably shoulda milked it........could probably still get disability for it.

.....pahhhahahhah. No but really, I wrote I did it on public land hiking in the comment box at the bottom of the form. Haven't sent me another since.

After I broke my foot my insurance immediately sent me a form that was mandatory for me to fill out (so it said) asking: When, where- whose property, what were you doing when it happened, how many people saw it. I kept throwing it away and they kept sending it week in and week out.

Finally I just filled out the paperwork said I was at this hole in the wall briarcliff, the track was unsafe, there were way too many riders out there. I was out there for C practice by mistake--and of course and it was the tracks responsibility to pre-screen me off the track because I was a danger to myself--remember I'm not accountable for my own actions because this is America. Bottom line it was all JO's fault. I'm considering sueing him for lost wages of 6 days. Probably shoulda milked it........could probably still get disability for it.

.....pahhhahahhah. No but really, I wrote I did it on public land hiking in the comment box at the bottom of the form. Haven't sent me another since.

bahahahhaha!

Getting off topic but ive used bicycle at my house, stairs on my deck (for my ankle) mountain bike (same ankle round 2), and most recently for Court when she had her back issue i told them we were at a friends track. I couldn't say we weren't at a track because she was transported from the track but I wouldn't give any further info and they were ok with it.

Cost of practice.. if Court starts riding again, I won't have 70 bucks plus fuel to blow just to ride.. I would ride in my backyard and continue to spectate at tracks.. I'm not in school and I don't have kids but I am getting married and have every day bills and with a non college degree type job (that I still make more than some friends who have good degrees). I plain old couldn't afford it if every place turned to 35 bucks a pop..

gotta draw the line somewhere, that might be it. sure whats another $10, but i say that everytime i order this or that for my bike, or when i stop into the gas station and leave with an extra monster or this or that.. it all adds up. Besides all of the injuries and hospital bills, the thought has crossed my mind of .. damn what could I do with all the money id have if i didnt ride. buuut..thats the problem. i probably wouldnt do anything. and that doesnt sound fun at all. id probably take a couple extra vacations and spend more money at the bar or going out to dinner.. no thanks. anyways thats another topic. but i think that would be crossing the line for a lot of people.

If I could figure out where I left my cloning machine, and actually had more time, I would try pursuing a bill that would follow Ohio's equine law, which helps protect promotors of equstrian and horse related sports from frivalous lawsuits. Something just like it, but for Offroad/Motocross riding and racing. The dream would be to see that bill become a Law. That my friends would change alot of this. I had one meeting a couple years ago with a representative about it, I dont think it really was going to go anywhere. He seemed doubtful.

For most reading this, you must change clothes to get them to believe you.

And don't arrive Rock Star style, via helicopter :)

My last two medical trips, riding injuries, when I was asked I told them they were riding injuries. Had no issues.
And unless a person is racing professionally it should make no difference. I could get hurt just as bad chasing my grandkids around the backyard. What a person does in their liesure is their own business.

If your kid is hurt playing high school sports do they try and go after the school? What difference does it make?
Are schools required to carry million dollar liability policies to cover their sporting events. Particularly since you have visiting teams participating?

If a person is injured while riding on someone's track and there are significant medical bills, that person's medical insurance carrier will most probably pursue being reimbursed by the land owners insurance company or possibly even sue the land owner if they don't have insurance. The injured person would also have no say in the matter either.

For that reason, I always blame the injury on something other than riding and say that I hurt myself either on my own property or public property. I also suggest that anyone who rides on my property do the same as my insurance carrier has told me up front that if my policy has to pay on a claim, my coverage would be cancelled after the claim was handled by my insurance.

All understandable John, but what if your transported directly from the accident scene? Not much of a chance to fib about it if your really jacked up.

When I broke my leg at Scenic both times, I drove myself home, unloaded, then had my mother drive me back down. Now when Court broke her back, we obviously went straight to the hospital (and she wouldnt let them cut her gear off haha)..

I just tell people if you get jacked up at my house im rolling you in to the pond and we`ll be done.. Joking of course..

Or I tell them before we ride, hey, you know your trespassing right. They say ok and were good to go.. haha

I just tell people if you get jacked up at my house im rolling you in to the pond and we`ll be done.. Joking of course..

Or I tell them before we ride, hey, you know your trespassing right. They say ok and were good to go.. haha

Hahaha perfect! i like your style! Personally i would probably pay the extra simply because i love riding my dirtbike and will spend the extra ten bucks on a twelve pack at some point during the week so why not!
But from the financial aspect i am fortunate to have graduated from college and landed a job that allows me to ride my dirtbike when i feel the urge. On the other hand the last five years i spend aquiring my degree there was no possible way to afford going to the track all the time as the prices were, let alone ten dollars more.

Back