50 and 65 Parents??

Maybe the 65's would be a bit much moving them to the C track, message heard loud and clear. What 50cc Jr./Sr.? That was mainly my concern. We had 10 Sr., 4 Jr., and 4 beg. at the Moto Rev round. I had forgotten about the 15-65's which is good but not great, but good. I guess given the 50 turnout that was the main reason for this thread. Just making sure Im not misunderstood.

And we are not running quads on the C track, if we do, you all will be begging me to let your kids on there too, I guarantee it ;)

I was under the impression you were getting 50 parents coming to you telling you they were concerned about their kids being able to ride/handle the A/B track and that is why you posted the topic. Here is seems more like a decision based on rider turn out. Jer, please do not do this. We, as well as Hunt on this post, and others are running the LL stuff now. I know we would and will be at your place and the other OMA events, but this for us is why we are not racing locally right now. You can never control the turnout for a given race for a class, yet alone, for a season. The demographics of this are too hard to predict. Hell, even with the schools the class size changes drastically from year to year. Last year, in the 50 sr class, for the events we hit locally, did not have more than 10 at any. The average was more like 5. That is partially the reason, for our departure and running the LL stuff. You get 25-40 bike gates at almost everyone. Those races where there was a small turn out, the kids still ran the track...i.e. Malvern...etc.

I don't think the turn out number you mentioned above are much different for Vet classes, A classes, and some others at home and nothing is change for them based on turn out. I raced Malvern several times last year in the Vet classes. Generally, there were not much more than 10 in there all year either. I guess what I am saying, is, the same thing I said above.

Let the 50sr class run on the A/B track, but am adding, regardless of how many show. The reality is with the 50 class, turnouts across the country, when looked at, all have small gates. This is not within anyone's control and for those that are already riding at 5, but the time they hit 8, they wanna ride the big tracks and generally and bored with the others. It is also part of the reason many 50 parents drive far away to the events like Battle of Ohio, CanAm, Baja Brawl, Mini-O's, Ponca, Lorettas quals, regionials and nationals...it is the only way to get big gates.

One question though...is there a gate at the C track? are you putting one in? Was wondering if that was the intent to put one in. Not sure if that would be worth the investment for the 1 maybe 2 classes you would run on it, but I would like to have a gate that we could practice starts on. You know, kind of like a burn out pit, with a gate.

My thoughts on this are based what the current C class. I did not realize you were thinking of a revamp to bring it up to the A/B track. If you were to do, obviously, that would be awesome. Jer, you have an awesome facility, I just want Mitchell to experience it now as he grows in the sport and not have to wait 5 years until he is riding 85's.

Thanks for your efforts.

I was under the impression you were getting 50 parents coming to you telling you they were concerned about their kids being able to ride/handle the A/B track and that is why you posted the topic. Here is seems more like a decision based on rider turn out. Jer, please do not do this. We, as well as Hunt on this post, and others are running the LL stuff now. I know we would and will be at your place and the other OMA events, but this for us is why we are not racing locally right now. You can never control the turnout for a given race for a class, yet alone, for a season. The demographics of this are too hard to predict. Hell, even with the schools the class size changes drastically from year to year. Last year, in the 50 sr class, for the events we hit locally, did not have more than 10 at any. The average was more like 5. That is partially the reason, for our departure and running the LL stuff. You get 25-40 bike gates at almost everyone. Those races where there was a small turn out, the kids still ran the track...i.e. Malvern...etc.

I don't think the turn out number you mentioned above are much different for Vet classes, A classes, and some others at home and nothing is change for them based on turn out. I raced Malvern several times last year in the Vet classes. Generally, there were not much more than 10 in there all year either. I guess what I am saying, is, the same thing I said above.

Let the 50sr class run on the A/B track, but am adding, regardless of how many show. The reality is with the 50 class, turnouts across the country, when looked at, all have small gates. This is not within anyone's control and for those that are already riding at 5, but the time they hit 8, they wanna ride the big tracks and generally and bored with the others. It is also part of the reason many 50 parents drive far away to the events like Battle of Ohio, CanAm, Baja Brawl, Mini-O's, Ponca, Lorettas quals, regionials and nationals...it is the only way to get big gates.

One question though...is there a gate at the C track? are you putting one in? Was wondering if that was the intent to put one in. Not sure if that would be worth the investment for the 1 maybe 2 classes you would run on it, but I would like to have a gate that we could practice starts on. You know, kind of like a burn out pit, with a gate.

My thoughts on this are based what the current C class. I did not realize you were thinking of a revamp to bring it up to the A/B track. If you were to do, obviously, that would be awesome. Jer, you have an awesome facility, I just want Mitchell to experience it now as he grows in the sport and not have to wait 5 years until he is riding 85's.

Thanks for your efforts.

Its actually both. I had parents tell me that, so i began asking, and that promted to compare Chillitowns turnout to mine, and the wheels began turning.

I know people have told me not to post opinions, but with me what you see is what you get.

My personal opinion is run everyone on the big track, Im just trying to find out what people want. I want good racing whether its on a grass track, big track, small track, circle track, 8 track. Doesnt matter much to me, just trying to hear all sides hear. Not trying to start additional crusades against JO, there are enough of those already.

there isn't currently a gate there, but thats mundane details for us. There was a gate for that track not that long ago.

Practicing starts can effect the insurance, therefore we dont allow it.

I plan to improve the C track over time, I was looking at this feedback to decide how soon I would push that. i plan to change it up next, but down the road, there will be a major footprint upgrade to it, its just gonna take time.

I didn't read all the whining, but I agree that non-beginners would be fine on the big track. For the sake of a shorter day, I would still probably run both on the C track. I really think that beginners should be on the C track though.

I didn't read all the whining, but I agree that non-beginners would be fine on the big track. For the sake of a shorter day, I would still probably run both on the C track. I really think that beginners should be on the C track though.

Not sure anyone whined on this thread.. Answering what was asked is all. This is why the forum can cause issues and normally, as indicated, I stay off.

Voice a thought, opinion, or constructive critisism and ur whining...rediculous.

it is a shame, we are to going to these events only to want to have a shorter day on smaller tracks

Jer, clear on above.. Thanks for your efforts

Maybe the 65's would be a bit much moving them to the C track, message heard loud and clear. What 50cc Jr./Sr.? That was mainly my concern. We had 10 Sr., 4 Jr., and 4 beg. at the Moto Rev round. I had forgotten about the 15-65's which is good but not great, but good. I guess given the 50 turnout that was the main reason for this thread. Just making sure Im not misunderstood.

And we are not running quads on the C track, if we do, you all will be begging me to let your kids on there too, I guarantee it ;)

I think gate turn out was ok, not great, remember COCR was same weekend. I believe both tracks lost riders. We would be at both but not possible. They actually had a larger 50 turn out. There is plenty of abundance! I thank u for bringing this topic up! also thank u to all the parents and kids. Those that I have met have been great and All the parents and grandparents I haven spoken to have been supportive, encouraging, helpful, and kind especially to my son.

If you didn't have the C track (most tracks don't) we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Run everyone on the big track. Combine some of the youth classes on the gate if the numbers are down. If someone isn't comfortable on the main track, they don't have to race that weekend. No one is twisting their kid's throttle, they can go as slow or fast as they want.

Well, not all kids qualify for LL, or want to qualify for LL. In fact probably for every kid who does even try to, there are probably in reality another 5 who have no desire to. There are a multitude of kids out there just riding that aren't racing for the fact of it being overwhelming for them with the better riders on the track at the same time. If there were 16 kids in the 65 class, then there were eleven kids who went home empty handed, and 6 who didn't even make the top ten! How many kids didn't even give it a try because if there not jumping anything, they know they don't have a chance. At a young age kids develop differently so I'm not worried about mine other than him being in the way of a faster rider, That's discouraging to him in a race, so he's more comfortable just riding the C track on practice days and dreaming of racing someday. I didn't start racing until I was 17 so I'm not rushing it with him. I realize that, like most sports where parents really push their kids, 90% will get burnt out on it by the time they're 18. I'm hoping he'll stay in it longer. He's a football player who loves motocross, not a motocross racer who plays football. And I also realize that by high school he'll probably be doing something else, but right now he loves dirt bikes and just wants to ride.
I love the idea of a 65/85 beginner class. when he does finally race this year it will be in that class. He'll probably still get lapped, but it'll be safer for him and the other guys, otherwise he really has no business being out there with kids like Mitch or Matt. Which ever track it's on is irrelevant, it's more the other riders that is important .I know there will be times when he's out there with faster kids and that's all part of it right now. And he has to learn that he's got to hold his line. I'm always on him for that. The C track is easier to do that for beginners and slower learning younger kids as there aren't as many obsticles to confront them with as they develop their skills. Just my opinion.

I think gate turn out was ok, not great, remember COCR was same weekend. I believe both tracks lost riders. We would be at both but not possible. They actually had a larger 50 turn out. There is plenty of abundance! I thank u for bringing this topic up! also thank u to all the parents and kids. Those that I have met have been great and All the parents and grandparents I haven spoken to have been supportive, encouraging, helpful, and kind especially to my son.

This is another reason that I asked about this too. If other tracks are getting a better 50 turnout because the 50 kids fear the big track, I want to know about it.

If parents feel safer at a COCR, that tells me that a change is worth considering. Not saying Im doing it, but worth the consideration. I strive to offer the best track.

I agree, Mxrcn746. That is why I suggested the beginner class on the C track as that option is available. Mitchy was in the same situation in the past and that is exactly what we did. Once he was ready and his confidence was there, he wanted to ride the A/B tracks.

Also, thanks for the kind words

My kid (988) loves the big track and would have wanted to go race COCR if he was relegated to the C track at BC. He might dig the C track if it had a major overhaul, but that's a "what if". IMO, if you want more 50 riders, make it even more exciting for them...special awards for the 50's, more swag, free beer for the parents, etc, etc.

I know of one parent who was intimidated to have their kid on the big track and all I did was explain to them how much we liked it...all was good after that.

This is a common problem and one we have all struggled with as the kids come up but I can tell you with 100% confidence that if you do not put your little guys out on the big tracks to learn what to do and what not to do they will never really progress in the sport. Eventually you will be forced to ride the big tracks so what do you do then?? You can't ask to have them switch the 85 class to the small track. Ideally it would be nice if Jeremy could leave the jrs and beginners on the C track and let the seniors and all reg 65's run the A track. This used to be the method at OIR and it worked very well. I watched the 50's and 65's and don't recall seeing any kid struggling to get around that A track. As long as they can make it around the track they are learning and the more they learn the safer everything gets for them. If they are sheltered till they are older and have to ride the big tracks all of a sudden they will end up more of a danger to others and their selves.
You can see where the kids are at all times at BC so I see no reason to race the C track at all and there is nothing that is so challenging that all these kids can't handle it. Try going out a track like Area 51 in NY where it is easily three to four times the size of BC and they run the whole track!! When they ride with the faster kids on the bigger tracks the amount of knowledge they learn each time on the track is invaluable!!! It will teach them things each time they hit the track and that will in turn keep them safer in the future. Don't take the big track from the majority because of the minority we already have enough of that happening in this country as we speak!!! This is MX not a knitting club let the kids have fun and learn every time they get out there they will be learning new things every time they hit the track from now till they stop riding its just the nature if the beast.

I agree, Mxrcn746. That is why I suggested the beginner class on the C track as that option is available. Mitchy was in the same situation in the past and that is exactly what we did. Once he was ready and his confidence was there, he wanted to ride the A/B tracks.

Also, thanks for the kind words

A few years back the a lot of 50 riders could handle any big track and hit almost if not everything but it seems like the big 50-65 riders are starting to be few and far between. I remember OIR didn't let 50's on the big track and you had riders like Robby Vall, Jemery Hand, Steven Gretchen, Scottie and a handful of others that ran nationally and would do very well on the big track but was forced to race the peewee track but that's just part of life but as a 50 parent you don't see it at the time that there is still 15 other kids your gated with that are not ready for the big track. I do not remember how many gates oir's peewee track held but I remember Scottie had last gate pick one time and had to gate 2 spots off the gate in the grass, 50 are not what they use to be.

Same here we hit oir several times on the 65 beginners and had more than a full gate. That was always a struggle at that track with the parents complaining wanting the sr 50 group on the big track. They had the beginner 65's down on the small track and reg 65's on the big track. For some reason in this state in particular the 50's seem to be moving backwards instead of progressing

I talk with people from many different states everyday and the majority of these other organizations run the sr groups on the big tracks for education and experience. There are a few that run em on the small track but they are by far the minority. As I said before it would be nice to have jrs and beginners on the C track to help those kids get acclimated but in the end the education is on the big track.

That c track is awesome for 65s. There's alot of tracks in Ohio that don't even compare to the c track! That track shouldn't be undermined because of the big track because its plain badass.

I talk with people from many different states everyday and the majority of these other organizations run the sr groups on the big tracks for education and experience. There are a few that run em on the small track but they are by far the minority. As I said before it would be nice to have jrs and beginners on the C track to help those kids get acclimated but in the end the education is on the big track.

I am saying the same thing. If u have a track that has a C track, let the beginners use it... Put the others on the A track when they are ready. At BC.. The A/B track serves the 50sr and non beginner 65 class well.

That c track is awesome for 65s. There's alot of tracks in Ohio that don't even compare to the c track! That track shouldn't be undermined because of the big track because its plain badass.

Whooa doggy!! Where is ur dog in this race? Jer, said ur out on comments... Lol back to the sidelines

Other beginner tracks do suck and don't promote advancement from the little guys at all. But I don't see that c track as a hinder. It would keep the races about the same time in proportion to the a/ b classes on big track... That c track allows you to open up the little machines. A track that doesn't like some wouldn't benefit a rider like Mitch.

Lol Sorry, the mr know it all column is gettin to my head. In my defense I'm forced to watch and announce every race at tracks....so it's not like I'm sitting in the pits not watching them. And I remember my 50 days. They always cut out track time until we went to Loretta's. So everyone was basically on the same field. Maybe not today, so ill tap out now.

Lol Sorry, the mr know it all column is gettin to my head. In my defense I'm forced to watch and announce every race at tracks....so it's not like I'm sitting in the pits not watching them. And I remember my 50 days. They always cut out track time until we went to Loretta's. So everyone was basically on the same field. Maybe not today, so ill tap out now.

Georgie, I am messing with u! Ur involvement at the tracks and this board are well served. Keep at it.. And make a kid already!!

Back