Battle Series by the numbers...

From my perspective, whether you believe it or not, I don't really care what is added or dropped. The OMA will look at the data and decide....and I will put my bike on the gate that best fits me. I express opinions on here to stir the pot with my friends (yes, I consider John259 a friend) in our MX community.

I want a longer day at the track with more time between my motos...said no one ever.

=-)

I NEVER want a track to close. That is the last thing I am getting at. First of all, I started this by just throwing out data because the current tracks have a big job ahead of them on trying to improve (and hopefully grow) the organization. I believe the OMA was put together with the thought of good tracks, repaired well, providing a better "race day" experience, resulting in larger numbers of riders which equals more $$$ for the promoters and tracks.
Few people enjoy bench racing more then I. Most of us can set around with a beer in our hand and talk about "how fast I was" for hours, if not days. BUT, everyone wants to get more bang for the buck. Without a dout, my "bang" is more track time for the same price.
If I sign up now in two classes (with the current 27 classes) I will get 3 or 4 laps of practice and two, 4 lap motos. That gets me 19 to 20 laps total for the day and I spent $40 for two classes. If there were only...lets say... 13 classes, I could still ride two classes, but there would be 25 to 45% more time available for the day. So I end up with 25 to 29 laps and I still spent the same $40.

The tracks still get my money, I get more laps. Dare I say, "Win Win"

Look, EVERYONE wants to win or at least challenge for a win. That's why we race. I get that some guys in the "age" classes will never do that against ex or current Pro riders. But at 35 years of age, are you really that worried about a plastic trophy? And even at that, I am fine with having 30+A, 30+B, 30+C, 30+Sport, Fearless 30+, 30+ with blue eyes and my fav class, 30+ One ear donkey, AS LONG AS THEY ALL RUN TOGETHER IN ONE MOTO.

I knew you had a soft side in there somewhere! Feeling the love.

Lots of good and somewhat different thoughts about racing and keeping Moto alive and well.

I think race day is race day and practice is practice. If you want track time then its all about practice day, if you want competition (sort of) then its Race day. But I think practice days keep the tracks in business and i think Briar Cliff admits that it was built on practice days. I like the format of full practice sessions the day before Race day because it makes it worth my time and MONEY to make the trip; if i know i am going to get time on the bike then that is what makes my decision.

Another FYI: I have to drive pretty far (usually 2-4 hours) to get to what I call good riding so I will avoid tracks that run "organized" practices and lean towards tracks with "open" practice because I want more ride time. I love Area 51 but hard to get a lot of time on bike unless you wait until mid summer when the days are long. I would go to Area 51 (2 hours away) every other weds, instead of 1 x a year, if they offered open practice instead of organized. Area 51 will run and organized practice even with only 30 bikes; thats just crazy for a track that big.

Hey, I have been on the record for a long time saying 9 or ten classes... I just revised it to meet the requirements for quads. NOW this is perfect... I even did moto start times for everyone. So no bitching about "why was the running order a secret" This is not sarcasm. Just my dream moto day.

A102:20
250 B / C10:252:45
50 Jr./ Sr.10:453:05
85 Jr / 85 Sr113:20
25+ / 16-2411:203:40
40+ / Women11:404:00
Schoolboy11:554:15
6512:154:35
30+12:304:50
Supermini12:505:10
450 B / C1:105:30
Quad1:305:50
Intermission1:50 - 2:20

<tbody>
</tbody>

Dude if you devised a way to get sign up left open until 30 minutes before your moto then people running late in the day could come later in the day. Sacrificing practice of course... I've turned so many laps at dirtworld I'd show up late. Or give everyone a sight lap 1st set of motos. Will give people the option not to be stuck at the track all day.

Try this. Separate into two groups. Each moto you get 2 sight laps then back to the line to race 15 to 25 min moto depending on your allotted time.

Moto 1Moto 2
250 B/C81030
A8251055
16-24 / 25+8551125
40+ / Women9201150
450 B/C9401210
30+10051230
Intermission 1255 to 130
Supermini150410
Quad215435
Schoolboy325540

<colgroup><col width="90" style="width: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3291;"> <col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <col width="77" style="width: 58pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2816;"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Random though, but not necessarily my opinion:

Could the mini-bike classes and select other classes race on the "C" track? Maybe we could call it the "Vet Track" or "Intermediate Track" like they do at some tracks in Cali? I know the idea has its draw backs, but there would be some benefits? Or not?

I think that the mini classes get the shaft as it is (at select tracks) and how are they going to learn by putting them on a smaller track? At the Battle, the 50cc (Beginner and Jr) only raced 3 laps on each moto...we paid $25.00 just like all the other riders that got 4 laps. I think that we need to think about the younger kids a little more!!!They are eventually going to grow up racing and you are going to count on them to race at your track(s). Alienating them to a smaller track makes them feel like they are not part of the moto family. We know that the OMA has some miner issues that need to be worked out....but I think most families stick together through bad and good times. We are here to watch, learn, make new friends, and race moto. What is the old saying? "If its not broke, DONT FIX IT!" I think the OMA needs to work on other areas that have issues, rather than changing and eliminating classes. This is just my opinion.........

I think that the mini classes get the shaft as it is (at select tracks) and how are they going to learn by putting them on a smaller track? At the Battle, the 50cc (Beginner and Jr) only raced 3 laps on each moto...we paid $25.00 just like all the other riders that got 4 laps. I think that we need to think about the younger kids a little more!!!They are eventually going to grow up racing and you are going to count on them to race at your track(s). Alienating them to a smaller track makes them feel like they are not part of the moto family. We know that the OMA has some miner issues that need to be worked out....but I think most families stick together through bad and good times. We are here to watch, learn, make new friends, and race moto. What is the old saying? "If its not broke, DONT FIX IT!" I think the OMA needs to work on other areas that have issues, rather than changing and eliminating classes. This is just my opinion.........

Oh yes please don't mess with the mini riders. Surely they have paid their dues. Take laps from the A or B riders. Or better yet the Vets, who have been paying their dues longer than the mini riders have been alive.
Your 3 laps is 5 more minutes of track time than my 4, so you should of paid $35. Stop bitching and run for a Democratic Office.

Oh yes please don't mess with the mini riders. Surely they have paid their dues. Take laps from the A or B riders. Or better yet the Vets, who have been paying their dues longer than the mini riders have been alive.
Your 3 laps is 5 more minutes of track time than my 4, so you should of paid $35. Stop bitching and run for a Democratic Office.

This is not about taking laps from anyone....what I am saying is, they are riders just like everyone else that signs up at the races, they should not be treated differently just because they are smaller. Not bitching...just stating the facts!!

They got the exact same track time as everyone else except the A riders. EVERYONE else got 7 mins plus one lap. It doesn't get any more fair than that. Thats why they did it.

How anyone could complain about that is beyond me. I'm assuming you didn't know that was the program?

They got the exact same track time as everyone else except the A riders. EVERYONE else got 7 mins plus one lap. It doesn't get any more fair than that. Thats why they did it.

How anyone could complain about that is beyond me. I'm assuming you didn't know that was the program?

I am fully aware of the program....and if you read my original post I am not complaining just posting my opinion. Maybe OMA needs to quit asking for everyone's opinion, and run the OMA the way they think would work best for them. There would probably be less bitching from everyone if they did!! Again.....JUST MY OPINION!

Gsdad look at it solely from a timed motos and forget about the number of laps. If b riders can do 6 laps in ten minutes and the 50s can only do 3 laps in the same ten min, that is fair and not taking anything away from the little guys. Time should be the only way racing is scheduled and not laps.
Btw, to get back to the original reasoning behind this thread... less classes and your son could have 15 or 20 min per moto

I am fully aware of the program....and if you read my original post I am not complaining just posting my opinion. Maybe OMA needs to quit asking for everyone's opinion, and run the OMA the way they think would work best for them. There would probably be less bitching from everyone if they did!! Again.....JUST MY OPINION!

I'm pretty sure everyone gets a trophy at your local soccer club.

We gave the kids the same track time as everyone else. We leveled the playing field. We threw the white flag at 7 min or lap 4 whichever came first. So it was possible to get 5 laps if you were fast enough. For years the 50s have been getting 15 minute motos, that isn't fair to everyone else who is paying the same to get less track time. I can assure you that the B levels and down were out there an average of 9-10 minutes each, nobody got cheated

First....I understand that it takes the mini bikes (beginner class mainly) a little longer to get around the tracks and I am fully aware of how BC wanted to make sure that everyone had the same time on the track and gave everyone 4 laps or 7 min....I am ok with it, and even if I wasn't it is not my call BUT I UNDERSTAND!!!! If you go back to my original post I was using that as an example on why I thought (MY OPINION) it would be unfair to have the mini bikes moved to the "C" track during OMA events. Once again, I know that the kids got the same track time at the Battle.....I just think that it would be unfair to them to move them off of the bigger track that everyone races on just because they are smaller. AGAIN....this is about moving them to a smaller track during the races, not about track time for the kids or how many laps they get.

I probably should have started another thread with my original post about possibly running a second track for mini or vet riders...

Started a small grass fire there!

It is interesting to hear it wouldn't be well received if that was the case. I don't have a horse (or kid) in the race, but honestly thought maybe some mini parents would prefer a smaller scaled track for learning and safety. I'm sure many of the kids want to ride on the track with all the big bikes.

Prepping and scoring a second track would also be additional work, so scrap that idea. Time savings for race day was my initial thought but it sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Back