So I tried to watch Duck Dynasty tonight.

Go look for pics of them pre-show, 2001 or so. Yuppie rich kids.
There's pics out there now as the culture wars over something that
doesn't really matter go on.

You're buddy may have hunted with them, that doesn't make their
reality show persona any less fake.

This is from Phil Robertson Wikipedia:

As an athlete in high school, Robertson was all-state in football, baseball, and track, which afforded him the opportunity to attend Louisiana Tech University in Ruston on a football scholarship in the late 1960s.[3] There he played first-string quarterback for the Bulldogs, ahead of Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw,[4][5] the first overall pick in the 1970 NFL Draft. When he arrived at Tech in 1966, Bradshaw caused a media frenzy on account of his reputation of being a football sensation from nearby Shreveport.[6][7] Robertson was a year ahead of Bradshaw, and was the starter for two seasons in 1966 and 1967, and chose not to play in 1968.[8] It was thought he had the potential for a pro career, but his mind was elsewhere.[3] In an interview with ESPN, Robertson stated that:

"One time a bunch of geese came over and I was over there with the coach and talking about techniques or whatever, a big skull session on the practice field. I heard these geese. Remember we were practicing in the fall of the year — and the grand passage as we call it — the ducks and geese were coming from Canada. I heard these blues and snow geese coming over and I sort of fell into a trance. Of course I had my headgear next to my chest and I'm looking toward the sky and finally one of them coaches looked around, and he started cursing at me, "What are you doing son? Get over here! What are you looking up at?" I said, "A bunch of them geese, Coach. Boy they pretty, ain't they?" He said, "Get your butt over here."[3]

And this was most certainly not a secret; even Bradshaw claimed that:

"The quarterback playing ahead of me, Phil Robertson, loved hunting more than he loved football. He'd come to practice directly from the woods, squirrel tails hanging out of his pockets, duck feathers on his clothes. Clearly he was a fine shot, so no one complained too much."[9]

When Paul Harvey confronted Robertson with a recruitment to play professionally for the Washington Redskins, he declined because football conflicted with his hunting. Besides, football was only about holding up his scholarship to him, while Bradshaw practically lived and breathed the sport.[7] Robertson put it in this way: "Terry went for the bucks, and I chased after the ducks."[3]

Degrees and first jobs
After receiving his bachelor's degree in physical education and a master's in education, Robertson spent several years teaching. He said while his students claim he was an excellent teacher, spending time in a classroom brought him to the conclusion that his time and talents would be better spent in the woods.

They started poor, but built the duck commander into a multi million business.

Born and raised in Vivian, Louisiana, Phil Robertson came from a large family with 7 children and little money. Because of the location of his family home in a rural setting near Shreveport, and the aforementioned scarcity of money, hunting became an important part of his formative years.

As a high-school athlete, Phil earned All-State rankings in football, baseball, and track, which afforded him the opportunity to attend Louisiana Tech University on a football scholarship. There, Phil played first-string quarterback – ahead of Terry Bradshaw, who later went on to lead the Pittsburgh Steelers team to 4 Super Bowl championships. Phil said, "Terry went for the bucks, and I chased after the ducks." After receiving his Bachelor's degree in Physical Education and a Master's in Education, Phil spent several years teaching in Louisiana schools. Acclaimed as an excellent teacher by his students, Phil came to the conclusion that his time and talents would be better spent in the woods.

Phil and his family, which by this time included his wife, Kay, and four boys – Alan, Jase, Willie, and Jeptha – began a quest to turn his passion for hunting and fishing into a livelihood.

Never satisfied with the duck calls on the market, Phil began to experiment with making a call that would produce the exact sound of a duck. A duck call for duck killers, not for, as Phil described, “world champion-style duck callers.” Phil stated, “No duck would even place in a duck calling contest.” In 1972, Phil Robertson gave up a coaching career for his love of duck hunting when he whittled a better duck call than any on the market, the first Duck Commander call. His first year, Robertson sold $8,000 worth of duck calls and his wife, Kay, somehow managed to feed four boys on that salary. The same year, he received a patent for this call and in 1973, formed the Duck Commander Company.

The Robertson family home in West Monroe, Louisiana, became the Duck Commander factory, from where he and family members assembled, packaged, and shipped all the calls. Phil traveled from store to store and state to state in those early days, with most of his attempts to sell the new product line ending in rejections. In fact, a certain large store in Stuttgart, Arkansas, laughed him out of the building! By the way, that store now is one of the Duck Commander’s largest accounts.

In the beginning, Kay and their sons not only helped Phil with the Duck Commander business, but they also ran the nets and took fish to market in a side commercial fishing business that kept food on the table.

In the mid-’70s, Phil turned his life over to the Lord and made dramatic changes. Phil Robertson is not only known as The Duck Commander, but also he has built a reputation across the country for his faith and belief in the Almighty. Every year, he is invited to speak to hundreds of churches and organizations, telling them what the Lord has done for him and what the Lord can do for them.

Duck Commander is still a family business, with all 4 sons and their wives either presently working or previously having worked for the company at one time or another. The Robertsons no longer build, package, and ship calls from their home on the Ouachita River. The production has moved into the warehouse located in West Monroe, which is featured on A&E’s hit TV series, “Duck Dynasty.” Phil still enjoys running fishing nets and now the fish he catches feeds all of the kids and grandkids. Yes, it’s a rough life, but as Phil says, “Somebody’s gotta do it.”

Since 1973, Duck Commander Products, which now include much more than just duck calls, have been sold in all 50 states and in several countries. Not long after the success of the calls, Phil began a series of videos that developed a worldwide fan-base of fellow duck hunters. The “Duckmen” videos revolutionized duck hunting with their rock ‘n’ roll, “in-your-face” style. These videos rightfully claim leading authority status in the hunting industry. Phil’s calls and techniques help others bring ducks right into their blinds, and The Duck Commander faithfully swears by the deadly effects of all his calls.

It isn't often a person can live a dream, but Phil Robertson, aka The Duck Commander, has proven it is possible to achieve your goals – with vision, hard work, helping hands, and an unshakable faith in the Almighty. If you ever wind up sitting face-to-face with Phil Robertson, you will see that his enthusiasm and passion for duck hunting and for the Lord is no act – it truly makes him the man this nation has come to know, respect and love.

Phil's biography, Happy, Happy, Happy has recently spent many weeks at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Happy, Happy, Happy is one of the nominees for Best Memoir/Autobiography on Goodreads.com. Vote now at the below link and let’s make sure book clubs are well aware of this book!

They started poor, but built the duck commander into a multi million business.

Well yea. And then sold that to the media and grew beards. Even more money. All good stuff! But I still don't
understand why people think that should insulate them from being fired by employers that don't like
whatever crazy thing they may do.

Well yea. And then sold that to the media and grew beards. Even more money. All good stuff! But I still don't
understand why people think that should insulate them from being fired by employers that don't like
whatever crazy thing they may do.

Watch the whole video from Bill Riley that I posted. That might help you understand.

Lets put it into perspective!!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y_V0oX2v4Hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Watch the whole video from Bill Riley that I posted. That might help you understand.

OK, I just did. And I think he seems to agree with
me that the duck dude can say whatever he wants but that
the jesus dude wouldn't be saying stuff like what the duck
guy did. Surely doesn't mean that he (the duck guy) gets
to keep his job because of some biblical right.

Is that what you meant me to understand? I don't think it
is but would like to know what it is that you thought I would
understand.

I agree with Bill. I don't agree with you, who thinks he can insult people who don't agree with you. Jesus dude, come on that's wrong!!

I agree with Bill. I don't agree with you, who thinks he can insult people who don't agree with you. Jesus dude, come on that's wrong!!

So what was insulting about my response? Is it because my religion isn't your's
that it was insulting? I'm baffled. Certainly not the first time.

I'd note too that O'Reilly and I are on the same page about most of this, not sure
why you think you can agree with him but think I'm insulting people at the same
time.

So what was insulting about my response? Is it because my religion isn't your's
that it was insulting? I'm baffled. Certainly not the first time.

I'd note too that O'Reilly and I are on the same page about most of this, not sure
why you think you can agree with him but think I'm insulting people at the same
time.

I'm not sure you do, but Merry Christmas Mike and too your family.

I remember a founder of another large company founder who was thrashed for his "vile, hateful, anti-gay, hate speech" for saying "I believe in traditional marriage". Militant gay supremacy groups orgnaized a boycott of his restaurant chain and as a result Chicka Fillet saw record sales during the "boycott".

Silly militant gay activists! have you not learned anything? The Duck clan will come out of this just fine, validated, and stronger than ever. A & E, not so much. Cracker Barrel has had a change of heart due to overwhelming patron outcry.

That guy in that video is an ass....whether they were preppy millionaires prior to the show or not, and now they are going with the beards, they probably still had the same core beliefs. So I do not care if they grew beards for the show. It is entertainment after all.

This is from Phil Robertson Wikipedia:

As an athlete in high school, Robertson was all-state in football, baseball, and track, which afforded him the opportunity to attend Louisiana Tech University in Ruston on a football scholarship in the late 1960s.[3] There he played first-string quarterback for the Bulldogs, ahead of Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw,[4][5] the first overall pick in the 1970 NFL Draft. When he arrived at Tech in 1966, Bradshaw caused a media frenzy on account of his reputation of being a football sensation from nearby Shreveport.[6][7] Robertson was a year ahead of Bradshaw, and was the starter for two seasons in 1966 and 1967, and chose not to play in 1968.[8] It was thought he had the potential for a pro career, but his mind was elsewhere.[3] In an interview with ESPN, Robertson stated that:

"One time a bunch of geese came over and I was over there with the coach and talking about techniques or whatever, a big skull session on the practice field. I heard these geese. Remember we were practicing in the fall of the year — and the grand passage as we call it — the ducks and geese were coming from Canada. I heard these blues and snow geese coming over and I sort of fell into a trance. Of course I had my headgear next to my chest and I'm looking toward the sky and finally one of them coaches looked around, and he started cursing at me, "What are you doing son? Get over here! What are you looking up at?" I said, "A bunch of them geese, Coach. Boy they pretty, ain't they?" He said, "Get your butt over here."[3]

And this was most certainly not a secret; even Bradshaw claimed that:

"The quarterback playing ahead of me, Phil Robertson, loved hunting more than he loved football. He'd come to practice directly from the woods, squirrel tails hanging out of his pockets, duck feathers on his clothes. Clearly he was a fine shot, so no one complained too much."[9]

When Paul Harvey confronted Robertson with a recruitment to play professionally for the Washington Redskins, he declined because football conflicted with his hunting. Besides, football was only about holding up his scholarship to him, while Bradshaw practically lived and breathed the sport.[7] Robertson put it in this way: "Terry went for the bucks, and I chased after the ducks."[3]

Degrees and first jobs
After receiving his bachelor's degree in physical education and a master's in education, Robertson spent several years teaching. He said while his students claim he was an excellent teacher, spending time in a classroom brought him to the conclusion that his time and talents would be better spent in the woods.

Kind of related . I just saw on the news this morning that the VA rejected and sent back Christmas cards that a group of children had sent to some veterans . If the cards said " Merry Christmas " or had any reference to God and Christianity they were not accepted as they " might offend " some members of the military .

Kind of related . I just saw on the news this morning that the VA rejected and sent back Christmas cards that a group of children had sent to some veterans . If the cards said " Merry Christmas " or had any reference to God and Christianity they were not accepted as they " might offend " some members of the military .

90% or so believe in something. But the 10% rule.
Who makes the call to stop the cards i wonder ?

Back