Battle for Ohio State Championships 2014!

I want reiterate a couple things about this series that I forgot to mention earlier, you will need an OMA card as well, as we are keeping track of the points for this series, there will be awards at the 2014 banquet. I only mention this because I don't want people to think that this is not an OMA backed series, we will be using the AMA classes and rulebook that does loosely mirror the OMA rules and classes.

I want reiterate a couple things about this series that I forgot to mention earlier, you will need an OMA card as well, as we are keeping track of the points for this series, there will be awards at the 2014 banquet. I only mention this because I don't want people to think that this is not an OMA backed series, we will be using the AMA classes and rulebook that does loosely mirror the OMA rules and classes.

Think about that for a minute... Approx. $100 dollars to race one class if this is the first race you run this year. For $100 you get all the benefits of the AMA, OMA, and 26 minuets of track time, over the course of approx. 8 hours! Just think'n out loud here... I assume it will be just a small percentage of people you loose due to a double membership situation?

Think about that for a minute... Approx. $100 dollars to race one class if this is the first race you run this year. For $100 you get all the benefits of the AMA, OMA, and 26 minuets of track time, over the course of approx. 8 hours! Just think'n out loud here... I assume it will be just a small percentage of people you loose due to a double membership situation?

Everyone has their price point, do you lose people every time you make a change? Yes you do. Do you plan to get more than you lose, yes you do. The Battle series is the big enchilada, these are becoming the LL for Ohio. Yes its more expensive, but you are getting more. Its a bigger event, its gaining prestige every year. You are racing for a State Championship, you are becoming apart of Ohio motocross history. I think that alone is worth the extra membership money.

The AMA membership is an added cost, but there are real world discounts and benefits to becoming an AMA or ATVA member. Look I your membership packet. I just got mine in the mail 2 days ago, I just haven't had time to study it yet. I have been moderately busy.....

Thanks for all the feedback on AMA involvement in the Battle for Ohio State Championship. As a membership organization, the AMA is committed to serving its membership, and the first step to doing that well is knowing what our members think. Again, thanks!

Historically, local and state level competition has been managed, for the most part, through recognized AMA Districts. For much of the country, this continues to work extremely well. AMA District organized competition continues to thrive in many strong and properly functioning AMA Districts today. The AMA continues, and will continue, to support these district groups 100% as their contributions and efforts further the AMA's mission of protecting and promoting amateur motorcycling competition.

In some situations, however, an area's AMA District lacks the organizational structure or resources to support a healthy calendar of events and strong promotional partners have emerged to fill the void. In these cases, the AMA is happy to work directly with the promotional partner to offer the services and legitimacy provided by an independent sanctioning body.

An AMA sanction not only gives the promoter access to the AMA Competition Rulebook, written and adapted over the decades by the representatives who serve on AMA Congress, but offers a framework for fundamentals such as risk management, insurance, refereeing, results reporting, rider advancement and class structure.

Of course, when riders compete at AMA-sanctioned events, they also support the country's premier national advocate for their right to ride and race. A good example of where this can pay dividends is the recently won lead law battle. Kids' dirt bikes were outlawed and the future of competition was at stake, but thanks to partnerships in Washington, D.C., that the AMA has forged — and legions of support from individual AMA members, AMA clubs, companies like Cobra Motorcycles and promoters both small and large, including MX Sports — we were able to save youth motorcycling.

You can learn more about the benefits of AMA membership here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Membership/WhyJoin_choice.aspx

I can assure you that the AMA is fully committed to supporting our promotional partners in the Battle for Ohio State Championship, helping where we can, whether that is providing needed services or enhancing rider-focused innovations. Please keep the ideas coming, and always feel free to contact us directly at mxracing@ama-cycle.org.

Alex Hunter
Motocross Operational Coordinator

Those who race typically wouldn't just race once/year, especially for the state championship. There are hundreds of non-ama sanctioned events throughout the year for the guy who just wants to race once.

I've renew my AMA membership each year partly because some of the events I want to attend required it, but also because they support all forms of racing. It's uncertain to me how much support is going at times but I may need to start another thread for that.

The part that cracks me up when people complain about spending $49 to join the AMA? These same people complaining have the latest and brightest new gear, fresh trick graphics on their bikes, $500 helmet, boots, and oh yeah, even the fancy colored radiator hoses (those are a must)......they spend all this money to become the coolest looking pro practicer, but when they want to race one or two races they complain because of spending $49. $49 has never kept someone that wants to race from racing in this sport. With the cost of everything else these days, you cant use that argument.

The part that cracks me up when people complain about spending $49 to join the AMA? These same people complaining have the latest and brightest new gear, fresh trick graphics on their bikes, $500 helmet, boots, and oh yeah, even the fancy colored radiator hoses (those are a must)......they spend all this money to become the coolest looking pro practicer, but when they want to race one or two races they complain because of spending $49. $49 has never kept someone that wants to race from racing in this sport. With the cost of everything else these days, you cant use that argument.

Why do you feel the need to pick on Crute??

Lol

Bummer. RedBud Vet Fest Aug. 8th and 9th.

Sorry Randy. We tried very hard to avoid major races as best that we could. I moved mine back where it belongs, but fpr the second round it was either LL, the new Indiana National or Vet Fest. Jason had little choice, he is planning to take Zack racing at some good events this year, so he has a tight personal schedule as well. It just didn't work out perfectly.

Makes for a cool racing weekend! Red Bud Saturday, Malvern on Sunday!

Count me in to the whole weekend! Both feet in even maybe... ;)

Great stuff JO! I had a decent riding year last year. More than I have over the past view years. Stayed healthy (well, except for the torn rotator cuff...) and kept the bike running. I even raced more than I had in the last 3 years combined. I am really looking forward to this season in 2014. Of course the start of it for me all depends on the healing of my rotator cuff repair. Going on 6 weeks out, I think I am doing pretty good. Just have to clear up a little discripency between what the doctor told me and what the therapist is telling in being fully healed. Doc said 4-6 months and therapist is telling me 8-9. I'm going with the doc at this point and focusing on the 4 months although I told him that and he said we'll concentrate on the 6... ;)

Brap-diddy-Brap-Brap!! :)

Starting to sound like OMA is now just district 11 or 12?
I am hoping that there are more venues here in the southern part of the state that makes the membership worth the purchase. Trying to stay on the positive side (for one time in my life) just hoping this does not turn into another Unlimited Sports / MX Sports / Victory Sports

If I read that right, I will need BOTH the AMA and OMA card?

Was into doing this 3 race series, but I think I'm out based on principle.

Sounds like what KILLED PAMX racing in the old D5. They have lost the seniors in that series. 3 lap motos and big money to race killed it off

There will be less seniors. I am not driving 5 hours to races in Ohio to line up against 4 or 5 guys.

Sorry. You lost some of the MastersMX crowd with this move.....

If I read that right, I will need BOTH the AMA and OMA card?

Was into doing this 3 race series, but I think I'm out based on principle.

Sounds like what KILLED PAMX racing in the old D5. They have lost the seniors in that series. 3 lap motos and big money to race killed it off

There will be less seniors. I am not driving 5 hours to races in Ohio to line up against 4 or 5 guys.

Sorry. You lost dome of the MastersMX crowd with this move.....

Greg, all the racing you do and nobody asks for an AMA card? There will be 20 or more on the 40+A/B gate at each of these events. Another 20 on the 40+sport. Let's combine these classes once and for all and get full gates in 40+.

I would come out if it was an option, but I believe it is going to be a crowded one day race with minimal laps.

Having 30 plus classes in one day along with a ProAm race is cool, but not if you want to race with both a lot of riders and a lot of laps.

As much as I thought VetFest 2012 stunk with canceling practice because of the threat of rain, I would do that race over this series.

Just dome FYI from a guy outside your area

Greg, all the racing you do and nobody asks for an AMA card? There will be 20 or more on the 40+A/B gate at each of these events. Another 20 on the 40+sport. Let's combine these classes once and for all and get full gates in 40+.

MastersMX is outlaw with the option of buying into the organization

I have a lifetime AMA card, but like some others, I feel the AMA is a worthless organization that steals money. It is scandalous what they do.

I do not race AMA anywhere. Neither do MOST OF the Masters guys

Going out on a limb here. I understand why they probably are doing this. It may have something to do with getting AMA area races. That's cool if it is. It's business, and I have one and deals are made

No problems with it if it is the reason. I wish you all the success.

I don't like the AMA on principle, but that's just me voicing my opinion. And joining two organizations? Sorry, I will go elsewhere.......

The series would have been better if they ran their own organization

If I remember right, VetFest needed no cards.

Ok. Done with my 10 cents. Many of you will disagree but it is mostly principle with me.

The series would have been better if they ran there own organization

If I remember right, VetFest needed no cards.

Ok. Done with my 10 cents. Many of you will disagree but it is mostly principle with me.

Dude, regardless if you were going to run this or not, you were going to have to buy the OMA membership. Guess you did mention you weren't coming on principle...silly principle I figure as it's targeting the wrong folks in this case, but it's a free country and I wish you the best...no BS.

I forgot to mention that in 2013 we rolled out some new Competition Memberships that help fit our member's needs:

One-Weekend Pass $20. You can upgrade within 60 Days to a full membership for the difference.
Youth Membership $29. For rider's 11 years and younger.
Family Membership $99. Up to 5 members within the same household.

Greg makes one good point. And that is ALL those classes on one day! If it were me, I would cancel the Saturday practice, anyone can ride the tracks prior to these weekends, its in July and August, and just go racing! Two days of racing on Saturday and Sunday, no rush.......an extra lap a class, and run two motos over two days. If your expecting to grow the series this year, you should not be trying to do all the racing on one day. Just my opinion.

Dude, regardless if you were going to run this or not, you were going to have to buy the OMA membership. Guess you did mention you weren't coming on principle...silly principle I figure as it's targeting the wrong folks in this case, but it's a free country and I wish you the best...no BS.

Let me clarify: it is the AMA sanction that I am opposed to and their silly class structure at the local races of 30 classes with 5 to20 people in them and sitting all day for 3 lap motos. Plus, the advancement system is a joke, sandbagging galore, etc. they are THE BIGGEST BODY OF RACING IN THE USA, yet they don't run on principle. You know some of those C riders aren't C riders. Nothing is done. I could go on, but that is my point

That said, I will be to an OMA race at Briarcliff and Malvern this year. I have no problem supporting that.

Here in PA , having Two organizations cards to buy( PAMX, MDRA 6 and 7) has really hurt racing. In the MDRA6 area, another AMA series without cards, called Mainline series, has taken off and hurt the MDRA enough that they have consolidated MDRA 6 and 7 into just the MDRA

GUESS WHAT? Mailine doesn't have cards or minimum races for awards and they are growing fast. People kinda like that idea

All the rhetoric of the " card issue" has been already done here in D6 on D6MX website. Nobody goes ther anymore, but it was once popular to exchange ideas. D6 is dead, and so is the site. Same arguments. It isn't the 5 bucks or 50 bucks that isn't affordable. It is the principle and people spoke

Same thing was done with transponders. They are gone.

I'm already an Ama member. People coming from out of state to race the battle series aren't going to stay home for $20. And if you race you should just join the AMA for the lobbyist they provide to Washington to fight the lead ban (win), and to keep off road vehicle access to public lands.

You won't see a drop in attendance. It will be advertised in American motorcyclist. People want to race big competitive events and they'll travel to do so.

Back