AMA membership

Competition drives improvement.
The AMA needs an OMA or NMA to create those improvements that we all benefit from.

Already renewed my and Matthews AMA cards for the year. Never complained about having one. Everyone should have one. As much as I dislike MX Sports at times, they have control over all the top races, and do a fairly good job running them like clock work. That's probably why they continue to get all the big races. Not too many others have the infrastructure in place to handle a huge event.

For those of you who are planning on purchasing an AMA membership or renewing your membership - Hold off for now.. Like Jeremy said, we have some things that we are working on! Sorry Hershey, we didn't catch you in time!

Connie

Damn - too late here as well! Can OMA get some credit for an increase in AMA memberships? Or help with a discount?

Damn - too late here as well! Can OMA get some credit for an increase in AMA memberships? Or help with a discount?

It is true that we should have an AMA membership just for their prowess in D.C. alone! I am purchasing my first one this year after OMA and AMA come up with a deal.

Was thinking something along the lines that you are...like an OMA membership is worth $20 and AMA is worth $50. How about they count towards each other? or something like 50%. Both organizations bring value to each other...I would call it equal value!

I am all for bigger races in Ohio, it will be good for our local scene for sure. Correct me if I am wrong...but Ohio seems unique in motocross with so much grass root riding taking place. If ANY Ohio organization forgets or discards the grass root racers...that is a TKO for them!

We like the CRA and OMA for its personal feel and bringing on AMA is kinda like "big government"...not exactly the same, but similar...that's why we are fearful about this change IMO. The family feel is my personal motivation...always strive to keep that intact!

Ohio MX needs a Big Brother but not a Father!

With what is all being proposed here seems to make sense for a good balance in Ohio MX...keep the grass growing and make the yard bigger!

We get impatient with discerning all these things...give it time and a chance; we should assuredly stand up for us! As common Ohio riders...we now have a voice to OMA and AMA and they respond back with concern by action.

AMA or OMA does not get my trust because they have ideas or power or a reputation...OMA is gaining my trust through their action and I am giving both sanctioning bodies the benefit of the doubt and have faith that if we all work together...motocross in Ohio will be better off.

Alex Hunter...he has an honest face...looking forward to working with you!

Something along those lines has been proposed, we will be getting a link up on our site for people to buy or renew their AMA membership through us. There would be a small benefit there for the OMA to do so. Those proceeds would go to our banquet fund if we were to keep it in the OMA. It would be as if the AMA were donating toward the OMA banquet for us helping them generate new memberships and continue current ones. Which considering the cat that has nearly chewed the bag in half at this point, I don't think many will care about the $69 in memberships for battle or just the $20 for OMA.......stay tuned......

Yeah, I need to renew my AMA. Was going to last year, but didn't end up racing what I planned to. Definitely will this year...

The AMA is a huge organization with many separate arms and entities. Some work well. Some don't work. Your membership dues , by law, cannot be used for lobbying or political activism. Those areas are separate entities. With your membership you get on their notification (spam) list. That is the extent of your dues going to "fighting for your rights". You have to make separate contributions to those entities that lobby, so lets get off the high horse of saying you should buy a membership because they protect your rights. They do a fair job of lobbying in Washington, mostly for bikes, though often not very effective. Things like EPA, National Forest, BLM land, CPSC, etc. are Washington issues. They do a modestly mediocre job on state issues mostly just by notifying members to call their state legislatures and are almost non-existent on local issues like track property rights.

They do a great job in providing information and education to members.

Their wing of sanctions and race promotions has been coasting in complacency on what was once a very good name and reputation for many years right into the toilet. A few pet promoters are well taken care of, but overall, promoter satisfaction with AMA is at an all time low. Someone mentioned local competition, and we not not look farther than former Ohio districts to see how they measure up.

AHRMA and AMA are looking like they are about to part ways.

The ATVA Extreme Dirt track National Series look like it is about to follow the New East Extreme Dirt track Series and dump the AMA. All the promoters cite the same reasons - Excessive and unrealistic costs, fees, and required unnecessary AMA "services", and rules of operation imposed by the AMA as well as a general lack of interest in their opinions and concerns. The AMA is only there to suck up any potential profits the promoter might encounter for use of their almighty name.

I'll admit I have not dealt with AMA from a bike racing perspective in over 20 years, and perhaps they treat bikers and bike promoters better, but if you are an ATV racer, the AMA is just another case of "we don't want you, but we will still take your money since we have to tolerate you" that is expressed too often by some industry players. I only spend my money where I'm wanted. AMA is not on that list. You get far more allegiance in "protecting your rights" by supporting those who would enthusiastically and proactively support you. Your "donation" to AMA will do nothing to help in those local government track battles faced by Lo-Conn, Beachwood, Smith Rd, OIR, etc.

Interesting note on the membership dues. I'm confused now and thinking Mr. Knox is correct. I always supported AMA for fighting for our rights as a rider, whether it be land usage, helmet laws and the popular lead law. As far as that goes, I dislike the mag, I've never used the road side dealio, I've maybe once got a discount at a motel. Other than that, I have nice pins.

Something along those lines has been proposed, we will be getting a link up on our site for people to buy or renew their AMA membership through us. There would be a small benefit there for the OMA to do so. Those proceeds would go to our banquet fund if we were to keep it in the OMA. It would be as if the AMA were donating toward the OMA banquet for us helping them generate new memberships and continue current ones. Which considering the cat that has nearly chewed the bag in half at this point, I don't think many will care about the $69 in memberships for battle or just the $20 for OMA.......stay tuned......

Hurry up with it then. I need to renew. Almost renewed yesterday.

this would mean ck is buying a membership to hold up his side of tge bargain of the ama helping the local small fish...

As a non-profit the books of the AMA must be accessible to the public. I would sure like to see where all that money is going...
Tim, your post was spot on. Local racing has to be a large part of their income, and for the most part, it is ignored. They are not helping to riders and with the crazy high costs, they are for sure hurting the tracks and promoters. The connection with MX Sports is my biggest issue. Sure they put on a pretty good event but they have had exclusive rights the the big races for over 30 years. 'LL parking lot should be paved in gold by now. There are other organization that could do it, and maybe MUCH better. Why not give someone else a piece of that pie? The answer could only be one thing.. cash kickbacks to the AMA. Prove me wrong Pickerington

Below are the AMA discounts that doubt alot of us even knew existed or utilize one bit.....This is straight from their site:

"AMA member discounts

ActionStations/Bohn Body Armor

Members receive discounts and bonuses on Bohn Body Armor products at www.ActionStation.com and www.Bohn-Armor-Pants.com. Please log into Members area to find URLs and Coupon Codes.

AIMExpo

AMA Members receive a dicount on AIMExpo tickets. See the Members Area for the discount code.

AMA Member Classifieds powered by SprocketList.com

Looking for a great deal on a used bike from someone you can trust? Check out the new AMA Member Classifieds, powered by SprocketList.com. The new AMA Member Classifieds, powered by SprocketList.com, can be viewed here.

AMA Roadside Assistance—you’ll never ride alone

As a member you will be entitled to special member discounted rates for the AMA Roadside Assistance program, which includes:
24-hour roadside assistance for your motorcycles and all the rest of your vehicles, including cars, trucks, RVs and trailers.
Coverage for your spouse and dependent children living at home or away in college.

Avis and Budget auto rentals

Get a discount of up to 25% off prevailing rates at any Avis or Budget car rental agency. Click here for the discount code.

BikeBandit.com 10% Discount

BikeBandit.com offers a 10% discount on motorcycle parts, gear and apparel to AMA members. (See BikeBandit.com for exclusions.)

Biker Rain Chaps

Biker Rain Chaps keep you clean and dry and are easier to get on and off than a full rain suit. Biker Rain Chaps also add an extra layer of insulation for chilly mornings or evenings after the sun has gone down. For the URL of the webpage where members can access this discount see the Members Area of the website.

Bill's Sport Motor RV Parts & Accessories

Plenty of AMA members use RVs as home bases while racing and riding with their families in the woods, and BillsSportMotor.com offers generous discounts to members on RV parts and accessories. All current members of the AMA can get free access to the Bill's Sport Motor Racer's Discount Club (a $24.99 value), which give them discounts of up to 20 percent off retail pricing, discounted and expedited shipping, and special offers on featured items throughout the year. Order your RV Parts & Accessories catalog at www.BillsSportMotor.com or call Bill's Sport Motor at 518-487-9569 to order a catalog, or place an order and receive your discount.

ColorRite

25 years of quality OEM matched paint. Save 15% at ColorRite.com when you enter the AMA member discount code found in the Members Only Area.

EagleRider

EagleRider offers a 15% discount on Harley-Davidson, Honda, BMW and Polaris rentals and tours. Call (888) 900-9901 or book here. See the Members Area for the discount code.

GiFOR USA/GOLDfren Motorcycle Brake Products

GiFOR USA is now offering AMA members product discounts of 15% on brake pads and 10% on brake discs and brake kits.

Heat Demon

Extend your ride with comfort and warmth! Heat Demon’s heated grips, seats and apparel are designed to help you ride longer into the cold months or just longer into the cold nights. AMA members receive 10% off all products. Log in to the Members Only Area for the special URL and discount code.

International Motorcycle Shows

AMA members receive a 25% discount on advanced adult one-day general admission to International Motorcycle Shows when you buy your tickets online from Motorcycleshows.com. Click here to access the discount code.

LifeLock identity theft protection

LifeLock works to protect its clients from identity theft protection before it starts. Now, AMA members receive an exclusive benefit of 30 days free and 10 percent off the regular LifeLock membership fee.

Lodging

Choice Hotels offers members 15% off best available rates at participating Comfort Inn®, Comfort Suites®, Quality Inn®, Sleep Inn®, Clarion®, MainStay Suites®, Suburban Extended Stay®, Rodeway Inn® and Econo Lodge® hotels.
Motel 6 is proud to offer AMA members up to 10% off their best available rates when you book online or call ahead. See the Members Area for the discount code.
Red Roof Inn offers members 20% off their best available rates at participating Red Roof Inn locations. See the Members Area to access this discount.

MAD Maps

Save 20% on MAD Maps, high quality maps and routes for motorcycle-friendly road trips. Click here to access the discount code.

The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

AMA members receive a $5 discount on admission to the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum.

Powertye Tie-Downs

Powertye now offers a 10 percent discount to AMA members at www.powertye.com/ama.

Rider Magazine

Rider Magazine takes you along on riding adventures from California coastlines to quaint New England villages. And unbiased editors give you information you can rely on when it comes to buying, maintaining and equipping your bike. AMA has negotiated a deal that saves you $155.74 off the newsstand price. Members pay only $19.99 for 2 years (24 issues) + 2 extra FREE issues. Visit the Members Area to find out how to save.

RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine 20% Discount

RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine offers a 20% subscription discount to AMA members. RoadRUNNER is the touring expert of North America giving readers information on the best places to ride. Subscribers can download tankbag maps and GPS files of tour articles.

Sam's Club

AMA members save $10 or $25 on Sam's Club membership with a special members-only coupon. Visit the Members Only Area to download the coupon.

Schampa products

You can fight back against the elements, and one of the best weapons is quality gear that keeps the cold, wind and rain out and body heat in, such as the balaclavas, facemasks, neck gaiters and undershirts sold by Schampa, which now offers a 15 percent discount to members of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) for all purchases made from Schampa.com. Simply enter the discount code found in the Members Area of this website.

Supercross and Arenacross tickets

Save $5 on advance purchases of up to four tickets priced at more than $15 each. See the Members Area for the discount codes.

Uncrated motorcycle transport

Federal Companies gives AMA members a discount on shipping within the United States.
Motorcycle Express offers AMA members discounts on international shipping"

The link to renew or sign up for your AMA membership is now live on the www.omxa.net website.

As for the AMA doing nothing for local motocross, every membership that is sold or renewed through our link, the AMA donates $5 to the OMA banquet fund! More to come.......

So I've been paying full price for a Sam's membership the last few years? Boy do I feel stupid!

And is the OMA site down?

Ok, Did I just see that the magazine now has an off-road version? WOW. I did not know that... Wait for it.... Nice job AMA.

BUT, I for sure noticed that they teamed up with MXSports (Racer Promotions) again on yet another form of racing. WHY does it always have to be them? I do believe Racer owns the GNCC name but what is wrong with the old Hare Scramble name?

J.O. So, the OMA is getting a kickback of $5 for each person that buys a AMA card through the OMA site and or at an OMA event? If so that is nice. (This part is not directed at you Jeremy) but what about Average Bob's track? Does a guy running a track in nowhere Indiana (or any other state) receive the same $5 per rider that they sign-up? Seems only fair that they would. If so, good for the AMA. If not... well, you know.

Back