Athens 1st round of AMA Vintage

So what's the verdict on the Works shocks, Mike? You're looking faster in the pictures :)

KRH

Hi KRH,
Pretty impressed with the shocks, I have to admit.
I adjusted them fairly stiff back when I installed them on the bike knowing that I would be abusing them pretty good.

I made a conscious effort to think about how the bike was handling while I was racing so that I could make sensible adjustments when I got back to the pits if needed. My problem is because I don't ever get any practice riding anymore, it takes me a couple moto's to get my speed up and relearn how to ride the bike to get the most out of it.
So that being said, I thought the bike was handling stiff but really good overall when we first began. Then by moto #4, I was flat out hammering on it and going as big on the jumps as I could. I never felt any harsh bottoming, and it stayed nice and firm in the corners, g-outs, and choppy bumps. I always tried to keep my front end high while jumping and the front forks brace is a huge help in keeping the front end firm.

You just can't help but think when racing these bikes that we are pushing and abusing them a bit harder than they were built or designed to be pushed, and hate to say it, but kind of just wait to see what's gonna break first, hee hee :D!.

But yea, if you're gonna race these bikes hard, and jump them hard, it's money well spent!

Good, finally a straight forward answer to the "worth it or not with 4 inches of travel" question. Maybe next year the 360 will be sporting a set. I already have the brace and Racetech emulators in the forks.

The Works shock I have on the KX was worth every dime and they were good to work with. Unfortunately, we just blew the KX up so it's going to miss Vintage Days for the first time since we finished it in 2010. The crank is marginal (It was the only part that didn't get rebuilt when I restored it, dumb) so I just don't want to throw a piston at it and risk scattering the bottom end everywhere. Don't have the time or money right now to do it up, so I'll wait.

The 360 is running now with the '79 IT400 piston in it. It's stupid fast and such a blast to ride, the Frankenstein motor (built with all Yamaha parts and input from some oldtimers) seems to have lots more power. You'll have to try it in the field at Vintage Days and tell me what you think.

Some of the best racing of the weekend was NQ1965 making cutty22 work for his overall win in their combined moto. Mike put his new shocks to the test!

No, sorry...this is Nick DeVito (I'm a nobody)
Hardly a nobody......
Even though we haven't met, you often come up in conversations between your dad and I. We work together.

See, Nick's Dad is a looooooong time veteran of off road racing and past District 11 champ, John DeVito.
Nick was born into racing!

Haha Mike...I'm sure the old man appreciates your comments. Good to know somebody inside Owens can keep him in line during the day when his family can't!

By the way, I'm partial to the KDXs and yours looks pretty sweet. This is my 1999 200 I'm racing the ACES enduros on this year....They can be a blast. See you at VMD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 181
Very nice '99 200! Like those forks? Next years AMA non-current bike?
Enjoyed your PV video. Good to see how I should have been riding. :D:)

Thanks....No, the '99 KDX might be running Enduros with me again next year haha.

I've looked on the VMD website and I am signed up for the Modern Hare Scramble on Friday. I think I am going to sign up for the Sunday Moto, but not sure what time NC 86-200B will run. Anybody know? thanks!

I watched your helmet cam video of the ride you and your dad went on down south earlier this spring. You had that KDX crank'n. Sounded like a well built motocrosser.

I like the KDX's as well. Super reliable, parts are plentiful, and they are very competitive.
I've been working on your Dad to get a Post Vintage or Decade class bike. I think he would enjoy Action Sports GP races.

Back