Athens 1st round of AMA Vintage

Track conditions were fantastic today! The harescramble was a little bit greasy in the beginning from the rain we received, but by the end of the day the track was in perfect condition. Can't wait to see everyone here tomorrow for a great day of Post Vintage action!

Action Sports track was in great shape again for post vintage Sunday, no rain and just the right amount of watering made for no dust or mud! Parked next to some nice folks from Kentucky who do more hare scrambling than mx and one of the guy's wife was pretty impressive on the mx track. Only bummer of the day was NQ1965's bike letting him down.

Thanks Drew and all the Action Sports folks who work to put on a great event!

Wow what a fun time! After everything I did last season, this was the first weekend we used the camper, first time I raced, and really the first time I "really" rode this year!
Struggled with the '92 RM250 quite a bit, got some serious jetting issues. But was able to keep working at it and I made a lot of progress in the right direction. I love the feel of the bike and I think I can make a good race bike out of it after I get it all dialed in.

Deiter174 and I had some great battles in Non Current, what a fun time. He rides those CR's good!

Jack Babet raced three classes on three different 125s and went 1-1-1-1-1-1 for the day!

Some fun quotes:
"where's that dude on the Godzilla bike?" Deiter on the line when we didn't see the dude on the KTM 550 2 stroke monster show up yet.

EVO244MX --- "I hate racing Non Current with all these fast kids in it!"
Me -- "dude you went 1-1 in the class"
EVO -- "yeah but I still hate it! I'm old and just want to race with 50 year olds!"

I think my burnout is lifted, can't wait for Mid Ohio now!

For starters:
To Drew, Kyle, Ryan, and all of the Actions Sports crew that work so hard to provide this event for us, with so little in return sometimes, we just want to extend a Huge THANK YOU! ! ! !

We really enjoy Kyle announcing race coverage, and hope to see you racing at Mid-Ohio.

The Action Sports Vintage/PV event has become our favorite race of the year.
You have a fantastic track that is incredibly fun to race on and the environment seems to draw the friendliest people. Nancy gives you all a big Double Thumbs Up! She feels as though you have given us back what we lost when Honda Hills closed up. In time everybody in the vintage community will see that Action Sports is "The Place" to race in Ohio, 2nd to nobody!

-------------------------------
We have been so overdue for something to give us back the thrills and cheers. Both days were packed with the most fun we have had since we began racing. And even with the mechanical mishaps, the racing was intense, fun, and incredibly competitive. And fun to watch!

There was also quite a few folks that traveled from other states and left thrilled with the experience.
As always though, we had to rush home Saturday afternoon and worked in the garage till 10pm wrenching, and then back up at 5:30 am to go back for more. Wears and tears on ya and just don't get enough time to hang out for tall tales and bench racing.

Our boy Anthony is finally getting back up to speed and took 1st in both motos of E3 250-B. He loves the track as well. Congrats to Jack B. on his wins. That's impressive.

I'll try and get some pic's up tomorrow.
It was good to see you all again.

Plenty of PitRacers in attendance today but the number of participants was down from previous years. Yesterday's vintage numbers were even less. Another great event from Action Sports. Just need to get more out to enjoy the good times.

There was a rider on a late 70's RM250, wearing what looked to be authentic retro gear including an open faced helmet and seperate mouth gaurd. We spotted him racing a couple of times. He was smooth and fast and was leading guys on bikes far more advanced and modern than his.
The back of his jersey had the name "Reid" on it. Anybody know his story?

Last edited:
This guy ? Warren Reid gave him that jersey at the 1982 Hi-Point National

Attachments

• ATHENS-1.JPG
    ATHENS-1.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 150
Wow what a fun time! After everything I did last season, this was the first weekend we used the camper, first time I raced, and really the first time I "really" rode this year!
Struggled with the '92 RM250 quite a bit, got some serious jetting issues. But was able to keep working at it and I made a lot of progress in the right direction. I love the feel of the bike and I think I can make a good race bike out of it after I get it all dialed in.

Deiter174 and I had some great battles in Non Current, what a fun time. He rides those CR's good!

Jack Babet raced three classes on three different 125s and went 1-1-1-1-1-1 for the day!

Some fun quotes:
"where's that dude on the Godzilla bike?" Deiter on the line when we didn't see the dude on the KTM 550 2 stroke monster show up yet.

EVO244MX --- "I hate racing Non Current with all these fast kids in it!"
Me -- "dude you went 1-1 in the class"
EVO -- "yeah but I still hate it! I'm old and just want to race with 50 year olds!"

I think my burnout is lifted, can't wait for Mid Ohio now!

Sweet I made pits quotes list! Still holds true, anyone need a non-current bike or 2? Those guys are too fast !

Pretty sure that's Todd Streit from PA. I had a pretty good battle with him before on old bikes at High Point Vet/Vintage National.

That's the guy.
I''m accustomed to watching the really fast guys hanging it out on the edge when they are making their way through to the front. But he looked like he wasn't pushing it at all. He just rode very smooth, efficient and fast.

Thank you to everyone who made it out to the Action Sports Moto Park this weekend. We definitely would have liked the turnout to have been better, but we're glad everyone who made it had a great time. The rain we received Friday night helped with the track conditions for the rest of the weekend.

The Vintage HS on Saturday was greasy and muddy from the rain, but it looked like everyones bikes were a lot less muddy than expected with the conditions being what they were. It looked like those guys were having a great time trying to keep it upright on the slippery course. We were bummed we had to cut so much of the course off for the Saturday harescramble, but we wanted to make sure the bikes were going to still be running after an hour. You guys can speak for that more than we can since you guys were on the machines haha. The motocross track turned out amazing, and it sounded like traction was prime out there. It's unfortunate that we had the whole race day finished by 1:30.

We were able to run the entire harescramble course Sunday morning for the PV guys, and the guys we talked to said that after the top layer of the unused section was thrown off, the course was in great shape and everyone really enjoyed it. The motocross track again was in great shape for Sunday's racing. It sounded like everyone was having fun and we had a lot of people talking about the hill section in the back. We're happy that the hill section, along with the rest of the track works so well.

It seems like that is what motocross is missing now, whether it be vintage or modern racing; tracks and layouts with an old school feel to them. Tracks now just seem to be wide open and one lined, nothing technical where passes can be made. We think our track offers that and it sounds like you guys agree. We hope you guys can make it back later this summer and fall for our GP events. It is the same course as the harescramble layout on Sunday. They are 45 minute races, and a chance for big bike riders to race multiple times throughout the day. We fix the trails with our bulldozer, tractor and skid steer, so they are plenty wide enough. The trail flows really well with a lot of elevation change. For you riders that haven't raced one, we really think you would enjoy it.

We couldn't do what we do without the great staff we have behind us. They are the best in the business, and are definitely a great asset to our races out here. Thanks again to everyone who made it out this weekend and for the positive feedback from the race. It's things like that that keep us working harder and harder to give you guys the best possible day we can every time we race. We couldn't do this without your continuous support.

Drew, Kyle and Ryan Wolfe
Action Sports Promotions

I had a great day at Action Sports, great fun (safe) track, awesome hill section, nice people and well organized races, and hardware to go home with.

PS. the ambulance never moved all day.............

Thanks to the Action Sports crew, I had forgotten how much fun that I have at the racetrack. The day was very well ran and we got plenty of great track time. Got to take Gregs 125 out after 33 years. I rode 50+ export and had way to much fun, I knew that I was in trouble when the first moto a Maico 490 was on one side of me and a YZ400 on the other, Had 2 fantastic motos racing with everyone we were together and racing both motos every lap. The uphill killed me, a 200lb rider on a 1980 Suzuki RM 125 made the hill look twice as long and steep as it was. Again thanks for a great day, Greg was with me every lap.

There was a rider on a late 70's RM250, wearing what looked to be authentic retro gear including an open faced helmet and seperate mouth gaurd. We spotted him racing a couple of times. He was smooth and fast and was leading guys on bikes far more advanced and modern than his.
The back of his jersey had the name "Reid" on it. Anybody know his story?

Wish he woulda rode that older RM in the 40+ class, maybe I could've stood a chance of staying in front of him...mmm prolly not :)

Jack and I had a blast on Sunday. Great track was awesome and lots of old buddies to chat with. We need more time to catch up it seemed like we were on the track all day .
No burritos for us as Kari made us the only morsel of food we had ( thank you) till we were on the road.
Jack finally finished a race (actually ) 2 on the 1977 Yz 125! He loved it. Now if he can only kickstarter the thing as he had to bump it at the line each Moto!
His 81 rm 125 lost the back brake at the end of Moto 1 and we could not fix it before the end of the day.
The 96 built by PITs garage rode flawlessly in the non-current to a first place ride! Jack looked awesome!
My day was more like test and tune as it was the first time out for me this year, I lost my back brake and had some carb issues that I think I worked out!
I lost my competitor Freas in Moto 1 for the day bummer as i would have loved to had you out there . ( I did offer to let you use the 87 to finish the day)
Bill 88 and I had some battles as I could hear the honda on my tail for almost every lap we were in.

By the way a couple of RM were always up front on the hole shots (mooch) as no of the other brands can keep up with the suzuki on the line.
Great event Wolfe family as always!
By the way there is a Mike Babet!!!

Last edited:
Back