Athens 1st round of AMA Vintage

NQ1965

PR Elite
Perfect place to HS on the '84 YZ 250.

The KDX175 will be raced for the PV HS on Saturday.
Fellow Pitracer member VLK943 gave me a smashingly good battle last year against his IT200, even though he was in 50+, still had a really fun race swapping leads.

God I love this sport!

Last edited:

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Finally got to ride my '96 RM125 last night. What is the deal with the clutch on these things?? Can anyone give me a few pointers on what to do to stop it from dragging? The bike won't go into neutral with the engine running unless i'm under power trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd! LOL

Vet261

PR Addict
Every time I've had that issue I fixed it by either lightly surfacing the clutch plates or replacing them.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
I'll throw new plates in it this weekend. I did a little searching and learned these models were prone to drag. Thanks Pit!

NQ1965

PR Elite
I wonder how much tranny lube has to do with this? Common issue.

An old coworker of mine had his son chasing GNCC championships for a couple years. I remember one weekend his son changed the tranny lube in their KTM200 to Amsoil synthetic right before a race. The clutch quit grabbing all together, slipping terribly. Ended up flushing out and getting back to OEM lube to straighten it out. Maybe some lubes won't give enough slip?

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Mike, my clutch has plenty of grab, it doesn't want to dis-engage. I have a quick adjust at the lever with no play in the cable at all. When I pull the clutch all the way in and put the bike in gear it wants to creep. I adjusted to get more pull on the arm to change the actuation point but it didn't help. I have new plates but while I have it apart I'm going to drill some small holes in the basket towers to hopefully allow more oil to get in there and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'll go full billet Wiseco clutch basket etc.

Vet261

PR Addict
Need Babet to weigh on on how the '96 I built is. I put a billet Moose basket and brand new plates in that bike.
I only rode it around my small yard and down the street to make sure it ran ok, and the clutch felt great to me.

beenridin

PR Elite
Perfect, actually sharc adjusted it at Smith road and it is great. no issues. I will be switching to my tranny oil and see if it makes a difference for better or worse. I use 80 wt Honda oil

NQ1965

PR Elite
In case you didn't already know, just a heads up,
Pre-entry for Sundays motocross class's, closes on MAY 11, at 11:00pm.

There is no pre-entry available for Saturdays Hare Scramble, but it's listed at the cheaper $40 per class at sign up.

Got a little keyed up this week on my own rhetoric but I've come to my senses a bit on race plans.
I've realized that I am a bit abusive to my bikes when racing and my repairs, maintenance and general bike loving doesn't keep pace with the rate of wear and tear. Last year I raced the MX250 at 3 events and hammered on it pretty hard, and it showed in repairs I've had to make. And I have quite a few opportunities to race the bike this summer around Ohio but I need to keep it in one piece, so I've scaled back my ambitions a little.

Vintage: I only preregistered ...... Vintage 250 B/C.
( figured there may be more racers entered in that class than just 40+).

Post Vintage - I only entered........Evolution123 40+B
I'm running the 84 YZ, and the bike is still an unknown to me so figured to just see how it does.

I'm skipping Non-Current class because I already get a lot of opportunities to race the CR250 at the Action Sports facility in the Decade Class during the GP's. The bike is overdue for a tear down, I have a bunch of parts bought and would like to have it back and ready by the next GP in 3 weeks. But, there is a good chance I may race it Non-Current at Mid-Ohio in July.

And of course plan on racing the HS on saturday on the KDX.

KRH

PR Member
Mike, I got the tank decals from Wicked Tough Graphics. They're a division of Speed and Sport Yamaha in Pa. and they'll have what you need. Been busy and haven't been on here for quite a while. I still have to finish the 360 that melted down in the mud at Vintage Days last year.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Thanks Kevin, I had faith you'd show up on here.

Working on my MX250 yesterday, I've decided that if we get a washout on Saturday for vintage racing at "Mud-Ohio" again this year, I will leave the bike in the truck. Every nook and cranny of my bike including airbox and carb had mud and grass in it. Was too hard on the the equipment!

tb901

PR Addict

The clock struck 12 on this Cinderella project. Surprise 3 day business trip, so no chance to finish it this week. We're coming, but riding a loaner.
83 cr125.JPG photo.JPG

ActionSports

PR Addict
The 2014 Action Sports Flashback honoring Vintage harescramble and motocross racing, hosts Round 1 of the 2014 AMA Vintage National Harescramble Series and the 2014 AMA Vintage National Motocross Series presented by Cernic’s, Saturday and Sunday, May 17th and 18th. All Harescramble racing takes place on Saturday, May 17th, and all Motocross racing takes place on Sunday, May 18th. Admission is $15 a day/$30 for the weekend. Entry is $40 per class for Harescramble and $50 per class for Motocross.

The gate will be open from 5:00 until 9:00 PM Friday. The gate will re-open Saturday morning at 8:00 AM, with Harescramble registration beginning at 8:00 AM. The parade lap for all Harescramble racers on any bike will be at 10:30 AM. Vintage harescramble will start at 11:00 AM, Post Vintage will start at 1:00 PM, and Modern/Non-Current (1996 and earlier) will start at 3:00 PM. All races will be 1 hour in length. The gate will close at 9:00 PM Saturday night.

The gate will open for the final day of racing at 7:00 AM Sunday morning, and Motocross registration will begin at 7:00 AM. Vintage practice starts at 8:30 AM with racing to follow. Then the Post Vintage and Modern/Non-Current (1998 and earlier) practice starts after Vintage racing is complete, with racing to follow.

The Christian Motorcyclist Association will hold a church service Sunday morning at 7:30 AM. Everyone is invited!

For all information on Flashback at the Action Sports Moto Park, go to the Vintage Racing page at ActionSportsRacing.com. There you will find all the information on Harescramble and Motocross classes, as well as hotels and restaurants in the area, and the directions to Action Sports Moto Park. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!! DO NOT USE GPS!

If you haven’t, join our mailing list, Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter @ActionSportsMX, and Follow us on Instagram @actionsportsracing, and post your pictures from your weekend here at Action Sports with the hashtag #ActionSportsFlashback2014.

See you at the races!
Drew, Kyle and Ryan Wolfe
Action Sports Promotions
www.ActionSportsRacing.com

2014 AMA Vintage MX flier.jpg

evomx244

PR Addict
The clock struck 12 on this Cinderella project. Surprise 3 day business trip, so no chance to finish it this week. We're coming, but riding a loaner.
View attachment 45317 View attachment 45318

The 1-2-5 epic battle will have to wait until Mid-Ohio, can't wait as some of the best times I've had riding/racing are battling with TB901 ! I'll be on the 89 CR250 for this race only, from there on 82 YZ250 and Mid-Ohio My 82 CR125.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Anyone have an EVO3 125 I can rent for Mid-Ohio? Me and Terry could do a Bernard Crunch on Evomx244 muahhhh.