Stuck in a rut

I agree with most of your points, but there is a large contingent discussing all topics on this site and I do not see how it would be a negative thing to poll all guests of the site. This is not meant to be negative, just an extension of what many people continue to bring up during these type of discussions. Why not sample the residents of PR??? Is the site capable of a simple poll?

Nothing wrong with that. In fact it could be quite useful if you compared the results of opinions on PR with those you find from people participating at actual events. Then you could easily determine how useful or useless opinions expressed on PR are as they pertain to EVERYONE. I can easily predict the outcome, because the opinions on this site lean a certain direction, and those who do not share those opinions don't feel much desire or interest in hanging around. Some people do a lot more riding on internet forums than real life. Those who post here, are not an accurate cross section of the entire sport, and represent just one small segment. If a promoter caters to that segment and their suggestions, they could very well alienate the other segments. By all means, do some comparative sampling and prove to me the same percentage of participating racers at Briarcliff believe booting the quads would be a boost for the sport as those who post on Pitracer.

Damn it.....are we at page 10 yet???/
Hoping this makes page 10... I'm far removed from the full racing scene but why don't the track having the race have saturday practice until 2 p.m. And then have half the races that afternoon/ evening and a short race schedule on Sunday with remaining classes for beginners... This way beginner racers are less intimidated by a packed race event and may enjoy more? Beginner classes spend less time at the track on Sundays and the hard core racers can have extended practice and racing Saturday and come back for watching little Billy race Sunday ...

Man.... I really wanted the first post on page 10...lol..... In my previous post "beginner" is loosely defined and could or could not include racers of various ages and two or four wheel scooters

I figured it out....I have two blown disc in my back, so I like smooth tracks, so I can walk better on Mondays. So therefore I must like quads making the track smoother. They are extending my racing career, and I did not even know it!!

If someone wants or has the time and money to travel 5 hours or more a weekend to go race "their" preferred race, so be it. Those guys are not coming to your track for a local race any way. The ones we need to attract, are the ones going to the practice tracks, and move them over to the race track on race days. Those are the guys you need to poll, those are the ones that need to be asked why are you not racing. Those are the new blood your looking to bring to race days.

Quads, no quads....does not matter to me. 25 classes or 15 classes........does not matter to me (but stagger as many as possible, and mini Jr and Sr should have stayed staggered last week). I know race day is an all day thing. I am not leaving from 5 - 6:30 usually, I know that. What matters to me, is that the promoter tries to have the best race conditions on the track.

My dad is correct......no matter what form of racing, racers bitch about everything. He has said that for years. He was brought up around boat racing, so what is there to complain about....water is water, right? They still found something to bitch about too.

I figured it out....I have two blown disc in my back, so I like smooth tracks, so I can walk better on Mondays. So therefore I must like quads making the track smoother. They are extending my racing career, and I did not even know it!!

If someone wants or has the time and money to travel 5 hours or more a weekend to go race "their" preferred race, so be it. Those guys are not coming to your track for a local race any way. The ones we need to attract, are the ones going to the practice tracks, and move them over to the race track on race days. Those are the guys you need to poll, those are the ones that need to be asked why are you not racing. Those are the new blood your looking to bring to race days.

Quads, no quads....does not matter to me. 25 classes or 15 classes........does not matter to me (but stagger as many as possible, and mini Jr and Sr should have stayed staggered last week). I know race day is an all day thing. I am not leaving from 5 - 6:30 usually, I know that. What matters to me, is that the promoter tries to have the best race conditions on the track.

My dad is correct......no matter what form of racing, racers bitch about everything. He has said that for years. He was brought up around boat racing, so what is there to complain about....water is water, right? They still found something to bitch about too.

And you are saying those riders do not frequent this forum??

For the ChilliTown Battle For Ohio Round we will gladly pass out questionnaires to all who enter the gates. We will have a drawing every hour to entice folks to fill them out. Data will be collected and published on PR. Hopefully this particular race will be a well attended event and the data should represent a wide spectrum of the MX community!

Great idea. Those will be interesting to see. I don't know if that has ever been done. I doubt it.

*Has dream of actually racing. Then wakes up, sighs relief and says "maybe next week in in for sure. "

*Has dream Georgie can race too. Since his buddy Scoob already has this year, he's looking forward to them both making a race. Maybe next weekend for sure!, well, no, ROTR for this dog. Shoulder not ready to be that competative..." :)

It will be a questionnaire that mainly focuses on the same issues addressed over the past trillion pages. However I can't promise we will not throw in a couple CTMX questions. Moving forward, let's go ahead and make this thread a twenty pager! What particular questions should we ask?

It seems to me that if it is regarding OMA, maybe it should be left to the OMA. An end of the season mailing to all members would be best fit. A one race sampling at a particular track will not give a true reading of opinion other than less pit bike riding, more shitters and shitter paper.

"Now don't get me started on the cost of a new bike and how much harder they are to work on. The cost of riding is expensive today."

Mike you hit the nail on the head, all of the track ideas to drive attendance don't mean much to a sport that is shrinking. We need affordable entry level bikes (ahem...2 strokes....), and all tracks are drawing from a pool of less and less riders. Fundamentally, we need more new riders first..

That being said, most tracks know the basic formula still works; offer a good product (safe but challenging track and good prep) with a well run and tight program and racers will show up. Racers will talk, word will spread. Split programs and gimics might get some attention, but a well run track all around always draws riders.

It seems to me that if it is regarding OMA, maybe it should be left to the OMA. An end of the season mailing to all members would be best fit. A one race sampling at a particular track will not give a true reading of opinion other than less pit bike riding, more shitters and shitter paper.
I think they would get a fair sampling as there should be a large turnout. Sure, the people who like to practice will not be at this event, most likely, but at least it is a start. I haven't read anyone saying that they were planning on making any changes, but I just don't see how it would be negative to begin asking the questions. I also am to believe that each track has the right to run their event they way they wish to do so, so to me it just appears that they are trying to be proactive.

I agree with the affordability factor along with the ease of maintainence, etc. Remember the days of "run what you brung" where homey brings he rapped out two fitty CR smoker to the track...??, umm, maybe even rebuild the top end between practice and your first moto?? Granted, not the preferred scenerio, but regardless, you cannot do that anymore...cannot with current thumper technology. Well, unless you have loads of cash to throw at it when it blows or a death wish when it does on the face of the triple...

When I was growing up in the sport of racing, be it later than some, but on my own dime, two strokes were the bike. Not sure I could have done it if a 4 stroke machine was the thing. With other "fun" things to do, I'm thinking I would have lost interest to an extent. Heck, I've since went back to 2 stroke for part of this reason.

I can tell you this from experience and this a lot of you know, it is a lot easier/cheaper to maintain/fix a smoker than a thumper and seems I've had better luck with the smokers. Granted, maybe some little things I could have done to make my thumper last longer than it did, but not what I am talking about. I'm saying it IS easier/cheaper to buy/maintain/fix a smoker than a thumper, PERIOD, and at times, cost is a deciding factor weather to have the kid enter MX or a ball sport, etc....

Heck, the track seems to have little to do with it when you look at it from that standpoint. I remember running a concrete freeway every Friday night and/or Wednesday under the lights for practice with many, many others in the early 2000's. Obviously, that had nothing to do with a primo, deep loomy, well watered/prepped track. It was just what we did and they were open. :)

Well the theory will be tested this weekend, bike only at the Cliff. We should see about ten thousand bikes, right? I would be willing to bet that the excuse bus is sitting at the pilot getting fueled up. Prove me wrong, let's see how many show.

Quick thought.
Just got back from baja acres. 5 bikes 40 plus. 6 bikes 45.
But we had full gates with non qually vet riders.

Long story short. They had 31 classes to choos from.
By running the minis on a seperate track they are able to add classes and shorten the day. One gate
They drop the gate and the minis go straight. Line up big bikes they go left. Really fast.

All kinds of trail bike. Shaft drive shaft dive with tassles you name it and they were lining up and gone.

Just like BC. There is a baja. Cult that is super faithfull and do not miss a race.

Quads and bikes can co exist.

And chuck. I am looking forward to many OMA races this year with my 50 cc rider.

^^^^baja is such a cool place!! Got to put on your work clothes for that one...the peewee track is a joke..don't you think?

Back