Stuck in a rut

For the llq the 50 sr went on the big track. (Cut down) For the llq only.
The cut off was 65 cc. But. They raced 65 beginers on the jr track too. Non qually.
The jr track is not challenging enough for an intermediate 50 or 65 rider. But the rookies like my boy with 2 gate drops ever , enjoyed it.

Also JO. They had other classes they ran on the jr track trail bike and stuff like that. I even saw a couple 85 s on there girls?? Maybe. But very new to the sport. Anyone getting too fast gets booted to big track.

Cool thing was jr track got all their motos in before the first set of big track motos were done. ( both motos)

Cool for pee wee parents and does not slow up the main events. All jr classes got 6 laps. So they were long motos.

The cut off was 65 cc. But. They raced 65 beginers on the jr track too. Non qually.
The jr track is not challenging enough for an intermediate 50 or 65 rider. But the rookies like my boy with 2 gate drops ever , enjoyed it.

Also JO. They had other classes they ran on the jr track trail bike and stuff like that. I even saw a couple 85 s on there girls?? Maybe. But very new to the sport. Anyone getting too fast gets booted to big track.

Cool thing was jr track got all their motos in before the first set of big track motos were done. ( both motos)

Cool for pee wee parents and does not slow up the main events. All jr classes got 6 laps. So they were long motos.

Very interesting, the Area 330 gate is coming Friday for the big track.....maybe for 2015 we will have the option of racing both tracks again.....

Very interesting, the Area 330 gate is coming Friday for the big track.....maybe for 2015 we will have the option of racing both tracks again.....
I know it is a ton of work and you are overloaded already. As are the other track owners.
But this may be a way to bring in more racers.

This may not work for you but baja only has 1 gate and one starter. So there are only additional flaggers. Like many tracks there is a staging area with numbers on it and you get called and park next to your gate pick number and roll in when the gate drop for the prior race.
One lane for main track one lane for jr track. Peew wee.

WOW..... i cant believe this thread is still goin on. Im gonna start racing Quad Harescrambles just so theres no complaining. Rediculous nemore. Theres a point where suggestions turn into bitching.....

BC this week really cant count when counting a race for turnout. It is a LL qualifier, and will have tons of people there from all over trying to hit a last qualifier. Plus, you will have people that would show up to BC for a local race that might not go.

Matthew and I would probably have been there this weekend, if any place but Dayton was racing. Dayton is close to home, and easy for some family to come out and see Matthew ride. We will miss both Dayton races in August due to the Battle races, so we decided to hit Dayton this week.

DD,
The two track idea sounds sweet, but did you have any times where you were up to race and you're son at the same time?

DD,
The two track idea sounds sweet, but did you have any times where you were up to race and you're son at the same time?

That used to be a challenge at Kenworthys for a friend of mine. And it did happen when they would both would be racing at the same time.

Okay time for my 2cents. We all remember AMA district 12 racing.... it quickly died when they voted off quads. I remember speaking to Bob from Broken Spokes about how that all went down. As he stated that even if he didn't get a bunch of quads, any of them that showed up helped him pay his diesel costs.
He also said it was pretty simple to keep people happy. Here is how he ran his show...
Practice order: quads(big then mini), 50cc or little bikes(no deep ruts for the little guys), big bikes.
Then he'd address parts of the track and start with quads... after they finished, race the little bikes... then prep the track, give the 1st bike moto a "parade lap". Start racing all the bikes(ruts stay in tack). When bikes were done he'd "address" the parts of the track(corners), and send quads out for moto #2 followed by the little bikes. He'd then have intermission and prep the whole track for the rest of the bikes.
Contrary to what some of you think... We quad guys love to watch the bikes. I personally think ya'all are crazy! AND I LOVE IT!

Last edited:
34 Dad has a solid plan. As long as I don't have to ride after the quads on an un-prepped track, I don't think anyone would have an issue with that... As long as there is limited classes... :)
I miss these long threads. Don't know why it ended up on bike vs. quads but it sure gets, and keeps the juices flowing.
Now can we please discuss a 24 hour race? THAT will bring me out or retirement. 3-4 man teams, one bike... Monkey butt for everyone.

DD,
There is always that possibility.

I did not race Saturday so I could be 100% Moto Dad.

Sunday I had 2 qualifiers 40 and 45. I am already in 35 guaranteed.

Sunday my boy wanted to race again. I was Moto 1 and 15, and he was moto 3 and 10.
I did my moto and pulled off, got him on the line. He was up again at Moto 10. ( no problem )

It is stressful to say the least, but I have many classes to choose from on a normal weekend to race.
I really enjoy racing with him, if I have to drop a class to help him, I will.

We will be at the Cliff Friday night for Saturday race.

You cant please everyone, but Baja is strick with the rules, over time you learn the system and how to play it, to make it work.

Each person of course has an opinion, I have read the previous 11 pages and would like to share a slightly different one. I am a beginner, raced a bit many years ago and now have decided to get back into it. Firstly I think Briarcliff is an amazing facility, the people who complain about the cost, rules etc. have no idea of the many challenges of running a small business. It’s a really nice MX facility, but it’s a really difficult small business to operate for sure. I’m glad to have the “C” track, it clearly where I belong at this time. Even the best “A” riders were beginners once. I would suggest a slightly different policy however, a couple of weeks ago, “ride for Ryan day” it appeared that a bunch of B or B++ bikes & quads took advantage of the C track between their sessions. I understand their desire for more seat time, however it diminishes the role of the “C” track somewhat. I think that if you ride the A / B sessions on the big track then you should not ride the C track. The "C" track should be a safe place for kids, beginners and old guys to develop their skills, having quads ( and bikes) clear doubles by 20' behind you is challenging. As a number of posters said one of the challenges in growing a difficult sport like MX is bring in and keeping beginners. I hope to join you guys jumping the finish line in the future.

I agree that is one reason i have to take my little dude other places.

Did red bud over the weekend.
I ran two classes on the big track and was able to get my 50 cc rider to both his moto s no trouble.

Also he was done with both moto s by the time i did my first moto of my second class.

They also ran trail bikes. Quads. Wobblers. 50 ss. Like trail bike. Ut you put bike in second gear and remove the shifter.
Some other classes too.

One more thing and I will stop annoying y'all...I'm sure some of you have heard of glory hog, if not...basically what they do is shoot lots of pics and vids through out the weekend, they take interviews, race highlights,starts and much more...to me this is very cool...no matter what the class it's cool to see what a rider has to say after a moto!

This could go straight to PR and everyone could enjoy each other's interviews on Monday and then try to get there 2 mins of fame the next week....it's stuff you can show your kids later on or you can show them, them down the road...

But it takes more then one person taking pics...it's a team! And that's not cheap....maybe if gate fees are 10 you could charge 11 dollars and the photographer could make monies no matter if peeps bought pics or not!

I and my son would watch a Gibby interview or a Trevor Maley or even a p-dub 50 rider thinking he just won LL's
I dig this idea!

One more thing and I will stop annoying y'all...I'm sure some of you have heard of glory hog, if not...basically what they do is shoot lots of pics and vids through out the weekend, they take interviews, race highlights,starts and much more...to me this is very cool...no matter what the class it's cool to see what a rider has to say after a moto!
Glory Hog Rocks!.....So glad they were at Spring Creek in 2013.
They hit ya right in the Ego.

D 11 did away with Quads years ago. The last track I remember having them was Dirt Country, and they haven't had quads in well over 10 years.

Back