Racing and kids....how to keep the ones you have in the sport!

Ti
You can speculate all you want, play devils advocate. If I get sued and lose by this ahole, at least I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. The big difference between me and a lot of people is when I get old and gray, I will be able to talk about what I did, not tell them about what I would have done if I wasn't a coward and lived in fear of "what could happen". I will make a stand for what I believe in, this is an issue I believe strongly in. I have never been shy about kicking people out. Now do I ban people forever? no. I eventually give up, bury the hatchet. However, if nobody else is going to stand up for this kid, why cant I? The fact that you would even argue this is sickening to me.
Tim mizny would make you pay.

Or.....

You could meet the guy face to face at the track in a calm manner and say I don't know what happened at the other place as I wasnt there, but it doesn't sound appealing. Lets have a fun time racing with you and your son and not let anything get out of hand or ill kindly ask you to leave.

Give him a clean slate. After all he's still that kids dad and I'm sure the kid still looks up to him. Jeff is a good guy. Hopefully he realizes the magnitude of that day and it doesn't happen again.

I am not following the whole bike seizure thing. So your bike was taken by the AMA because of a Parts Sponsor? What is the real reason they took the bike?

I will try to keep this short and simple. My son worked for TLC racing. He would often order parts, tires, ect. through TLC and they would deduct them from his pay. Two items, a rear shock and a head were given to him by TLC with no terms. They were items that they deemed inferior for their supposed star rider. They had a dispute over tires that Erik wanted to order for the upcoming race. Erik was angry and came home and spray painted the bike white, removing the paint job (I might add that we paid for) that listed TLC racing as a sponsor.We joked about it calling him Generic Erik. Sounds sort of silly right? We went to a regional race that weekend in Springfield, Oh. Erik placed third which placed him in impound for 30 min. TLC racing was there and they concocted a story to the AMA officials that Erik had stolen the bike from their establishment and then painted it white. AMA decided to keep the bike stating that it would be returned to us once the matter was settled. As I stated there was no police report and a Sheriff present there informed them of that. Monday morning I faxed them proof of ownership and Mr. Vanderslice apologized to me and asked me where he could return the bike, unbeknownst to me at the time Roy Jansen was on the phone with my husband stating he would not allow the bike to be returned to us unless we could provide proof of purchase for every single part on the bike. He said there was absolutely no such thing as a parts sponsorship therefore the entire bike belonged to TLC. That is the nuts and bolts of it, really. The district attorney in Barberton (where TLC was located) informed AMA that it was clearly a civil matter and they had absolutely no right to retain the bike and in doing so they were in fact guilty of theft. That is when AMA stated they would return the bike but leave it at the Sheriff's station in Barberton, however when I called the Sheriff's station to inform them that this was to take place, they in turn told AMA that whoever dropped the bike off would be immediately arrested for theft and that they should instead return the bike directly to us. Gets real good doesn't it. In the end they allowed TLC racing to come down to the AMA facility where they were holding the bike and virtually strip the bike of everything they claimed was theirs. What was returned to us was.....well it wasn't much. I am not making this up...it happened exactly that way. I still have a copy of the article that was written that was never allowed to go into print.

I guess I should add that TLC provided AMA with a lot of receipts for numerous items......They are a bike shop so of course that was no biggie! In reality AMA appointed themselves as the law...their own court of law.

I guess I should add that TLC provided AMA with a lot of receipts for numerous items......They are a bike shop so of course that was no biggie! In reality AMA appointed themselves as the law...their own court of law.
Think that topic deserved its own thread. lol

I know everyone is here quick to judge jeff for his actions at smith rd... I have known him for many years and yes he is a little high strung and loud and opinionated but what you guys dont see is that his entire life revolves around his son.... he is a very good dad that just had a melt down.... he is around all 4 of my kids on a regular basis and treats them like gold and his son plays with my kids all the time.... he would "NEVER" purposefully hurt Austin.... he has saved that little boy's life by getting him away from the unstable environment he was in.... dont you think when you seen him struggling someone could have just lent a hand... instead of turning it into a giant fiasco..... so until you know the whole truth dont be so quick to judge... and as far as banning him from racetracks is pretty redicuolous because if you have ever broke down at the track or needed parts jeff was usually the one right there to give you a hand... just fyi jeff is taking the proper steps to not let any kind d of melt sown happen again...

I know everyone is here quick to judge jeff for his actions at smith rd... I have known him for many years and yes he is a little high strung and loud and opinionated but what you guys dont see is that his entire life revolves around his son.... he is a very good dad that just had a melt down.... he is around all 4 of my kids on a regular basis and treats them like gold and his son plays with my kids all the time.... he would "NEVER" purposefully hurt Austin.... he has saved that little boy's life by getting him away from the unstable environment he was in.... dont you think when you seen him struggling someone could have just lent a hand... instead of turning it into a giant fiasco..... so until you know the whole truth dont be so quick to judge... and as far as banning him from racetracks is pretty redicuolous because if you have ever broke down at the track or needed parts jeff was usually the one right there to give you a hand... just fyi jeff is taking the proper steps to not let any kind d of melt sown happen again...

As a father of 2 young children 6 and 18 months I find this statement baffling . First of all , we all get frustrated at times , however he is a adult !!!! Walk away if your pissed , step back a minute ! Zero reasons to act like a ass and throw or strike your child with a tool .....meltdown my ass ! Defend him for that....really !?!?!? A real parent doesn't strike a child with a object to inflict pain and chalk it up to a meltdown !

Doesn't need it's own thread because there is no more to say. I really would rather forget about it. It happened years ago and now my son is gone. It is the legal issue that is important and I would not want any of our promoters to get themselves in hot water.
Shookbabe is right that there are always two sides to a story. He may be struggling with other issues that we are not aware of. Not that it excuses his behavior toward his son. Perhaps all this talk will merely add to his stress and in turn make things more difficult for his son.

Pray for him instead.

So just to be clear Shookbabe when this A-hole shoved his son off his PW-50 and threw a set of goggles and his helmet at him when he came back to the pits after he missed his moto (because apparently because he was confused on where to go), he was just being a
... a very good dad that just had a melt down...
? Mind you this was a meaningless outlaw race at Smith Road Raceway (no offense to the track) not Loretta Lynn's; however missing a moto at Loretta's would still NOT justify his actions but would be a valid reason to get upset. Although if the A-hole had actually been parenting correctly then his son would not of missed his moto.

Then later on when the A-hole was working on his own bike and pulled his son over to hold it for him, he only got a
... little high strung and loud and opinionated ...
with him? His son being small couldn’t hold the A-holes bike still enough so he got yelled at and pushed around for that. The A-hole pulled him back to the bike and continued to yell at him to hold the bike still, again it wasn’t good enough for the A-hole so he took the large wrench he was using and struck his child with it on his leg. I have no idea why his son would be in pain and crying after being struck with that wrench in the manner that he had since according to you,
... he would "NEVER" purposefully hurt Austin...

But you are very wrong with your statement of
... dont you think when you seen him struggling someone could have just lent a hand ...
because WE DID! I separated the A-hole enough from his son enough so that my Wife was able to remove him from the situation. But oddly enough the A-hole did not want the ‘hand’ of this adult male for some reason. Wonder why???

I suggest that you take your own advice
... so until you know the whole truth dont be so quick to judge …
. You weren’t there, you didn’t see any of this happen, and as for what he is dealing with away from the track to allow this to happen at the track I really don’t give a F about. But you are so right we should look at the bigger picture and condone this A-holes actions and welcome him back to the track, because we may never know when we might need a part from him. But you should probably avoid asking him to borrow any tools, especially a wrench!

I think given time if he can reprogram himself, deal with his issues and come out a getter man that's a good thing. I'm just thinking until he can reach that point it's better that he steer clear of motocross tracks. Not threatening here, just thinking if he truly wants to get better and improve his relationship with his son, then why go to a place that could stir the same response or action? Good luck to Jeff I hope he can change.

And just a little fyi...Jeffs boy was examined by professionals and had NO marks on him. There were NO signs of abuse other than verbal....so not sure y bein forcefully hit by a LARGE wrench thrown by an adult male would not leave a mark? Being quick to judge or form ur own opninion about another parent is easy to do when u dont know the entire situation. or choose to follow and believe social media websites. So instead of thinking how cool it would b to ban him from all tracks and bad talk Pyma for letting him race (where he has been like family and raced for over 20 yrs) it surely wasn't because of low turnout. So in the long run Austin is the one who suffers, crying to c his dad, crying to race...and none of u assholes even know that boys story and what his father has really done to help his son. So if u think this boy is better away from his dad and living with his mother who has lost custody in the past and enjoys drugs rather than the interests of her son then keep on talkin ur smack cuz u have know idea what its doing to this little boy. Jeff is taking the proper steps appointed by his attorney to go to counseling and anger management if anybody actually cares.. so I agree lets pray Jeff gets better and his son and him continue to have a relationship and can get involved in motocross again. The only one who is suffering is Austin and at 7 he dont quite understand. Everyone has plenty to run their mouths about on social media but nobody has had balls to say anything to his face or his buddies that r stickin up for him....??

Everyone has plenty to run their mouths about on social media but nobody has had balls to say anything to his face or his buddies that r stickin up for him....??
Not running my mouth at all Shookbabe, simply stating exactly what happened with the A-hole and his son at Smith Road. Wasn't going to post anything, but I started seeing blown out of the water stories posted about what happened and wanted to set the facts straight. If you don't like the truth, I dont really care. And as far as not having he balls to say anything to his or his buddies faces, I think he found out at Smith Road who has the balls between us, and I will give you a hint, IT'S NOT HIM!!!
So I've said what I've had to say about this and don't need to get argue on here with someone that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about, mostly because THEY WERE NOT THERE!

You can speculate all you want, play devils advocate. If I get sued and lose by this ahole, at least I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. The big difference between me and a lot of people is when I get old and gray, I will be able to talk about what I did, not tell them about what I would have done if I wasn't a coward and lived in fear of "what could happen". I will make a stand for what I believe in, this is an issue I believe strongly in. I have never been shy about kicking people out. Now do I ban people forever? no. I eventually give up, bury the hatchet. However, if nobody else is going to stand up for this kid, why cant I? The fact that you would even argue this is sickening to me.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I'm all for banning whoever you want. Morally, I think its your right. I'm merely suggesting that you learn the law, be smart about it, and protect yourself legally when you do it. That's not cowardly, it's sensible. I'm baffled as to why anyone would argue against that. Personally I'd sleep better if I banned him, and I knew the law was behind me, I had my legal ducks in a row, and I wasn't at risk of having to reward him later.

Nobody else will stand up for this kid but you? Really? Banning this guy from Briarcliff might make you feel better, and might even punish the guy, but will do absolutely nothing for this kid. His life will be only be impacted by those who witnessed and documented his father's behavior, gave witness statements to law enforcement, and will testify as to what they saw. Best thing you could do that would actually help is let them in, and have somebody with vidcam ready to watch him like a hawk.

I didnt get to see the guy at amherst but obviously it must have been the dude people were telling me about yelling at his kid,other parents and track officials. I do believe someone was telling me he got his boy dq'd at meadowlarks. Not sure on that one though. We didnt show up till second motos. My son has more than once frustrated me at the track, i usually just go over what he could have done better,not yell and scream at him. Id much rather him ride slow if hes not feeling it than push him over his limits and take a ride in the meat wagon. Bad enough he broke his collar bone with out me yelling to go faster!

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I'm all for banning whoever you want. Morally, I think its your right. I'm merely suggesting that you learn the law, be smart about it, and protect yourself legally when you do it. That's not cowardly, it's sensible. I'm baffled as to why anyone would argue against that. Personally I'd sleep better if I banned him, and I knew the law was behind me, I had my legal ducks in a row, and I wasn't at risk of having to reward him later.

Nobody else will stand up for this kid but you? Really? Banning this guy from Briarcliff might make you feel better, and might even punish the guy, but will do absolutely nothing for this kid. His life will be only be impacted by those who witnessed and documented his father's behavior, gave witness statements to law enforcement, and will testify as to what they saw. Best thing you could do that would actually help is let them in, and have somebody with vidcam ready to watch him like a hawk.

Whatever.....

you have the wrong person At Amhers that had something to do with a father asking His son to take another boy outyou should have your facts straight before you comment on something that is untrue

Last edited:
Back