Racing and kids....how to keep the ones you have in the sport!

If I remember correctly didn't Jeff Barley get the hell beat out of him at TV land last year for being an idiot to some guys kid????
I do know we have had problems with him at Malvern. He got into a confrontation with the paramedics who he was pitted next to.

I was there, and he started the whole thing. It was a kid (17) that beat his a$$. Blooded his nose. Then the dad wanted to beat his a$$. Then the cops came.

Dude some screw Musta broke loose with barley. Jeez I never thought the dude was capable of all that crap.
Look what you did to the Alesi family with a holeshot on Mike in the mini class!!!! Very touchy these motocrossers!!
Lasers and hype and ........

While I can appreciate the emotion involved in what we would all like to do to this guy, the situation was handled in the best possible way. Separating the jerk from the kid until police arrive, and written statements by RATIONAL, CALM, and REASONABLE eyewitness accounts make a very strong legal case for his custodial fitness whereas declarations from an angry mob who turned the jerk into a victim would not have near the impact. Sure the guy deserves a beating, but it's not worth it to jeopardize the legal case that could permanently spare the child further episodes.
I can't believe I agree with a trike guy but I am in total agreement with you Tim.

Still want to hit the dumbass.

Whoever suggested tracks let this dumbass in next time, I think it makes some sense.
I'm assuming of course that the guy is still allowed to spend time with his kid.

First, motocrossers seem to be fairly good at self-policing this kind of crap when it gets out of
hand (thank you Mr. Walters). And second, this kid probably still looks up to his dad. If dad
is unredeemable, so be it, I for one if I am there will be in his face. If he learns from this, and
the noise on this forum I'm sure he'll hear about might influence that, the kid can only benefit.

It's still his dad.

Look what you did to the Alesi family with a holeshot on Mike in the mini class!!!! Very touchy these motocrossers!!
Lasers and hype and ........
Tony was an a-hole the day I got that holeshot. I was in between an LEM and a KTM and he asked "So whose gonna get the holeshot, LEM or KTM?) LEM Kid to my right and KTM Mike to my left. And I said "Cobra." And he looked at me and just laughed and smirked. Don't think I've ever seen my dad laugh so hard and get excited over a holeshot than when my mom filmed that one. Pure euphoria. Eff you Tony.

I don't know anything about the criminal case status, but I have been contacted to testify in a civil matter related to this incident in PA. Since its 2 1/2 hours away, they are seeking permission for me to testify by phone, but if they shoot that down I will be making the trip at my own expense. Please pray for the outcome that is best for this boy.

I don't know anything about the criminal case status, but I have been contacted to testify in a civil matter related to this incident in PA. Since its 2 1/2 hours away, they are seeking permission for me to testify by phone, but if they shoot that down I will be making the trip at my own expense. Please pray for the outcome that is best for this boy.
Diffenitly, he will most likely get some fines along with anger management and parenting classes.

All right, I want to let this go, but I can't. You have got to be kidding me, he's welcome to race after what happened? So the CRA is turning a blind eye on this? Or did Pyma need that 1 more rider to hit the 54 rider Saturday and 74 Sunday count that they had no concerns.
Does anyone else have a problem with him being welcomed back? OMXA, AMA, or would this have to be a by track decision?

Guess Pyma thought it would be safe for him to show up since they didnt have kids racing this weekend.
50 class: Pyma - ZERO / Chillitown - 69
65 class: Pyma- THREE / Chillitown - 44
85 class: Pyma - THREE / Chillitown - 50

But on a serious note, this just tells you a lot about Pyma and the other tracks that let him race.

I don't post much on here unless I feel moved to do so but this story nearly brought me to tears. I am so relieved to hear that he was apprehended. Even in our pit area things at times get a little heated but they are all adults and can at least fend for themselves but children should never be treated in such a way. Glad I was not there because I surely would have come unglued on the spot.

All right, I want to let this go, but I can't. You have got to be kidding me, he's welcome to race after what happened? So the CRA is turning a blind eye on this? Or did Pyma need that 1 more rider to hit the 54 rider Saturday and 74 Sunday count that they had no concerns.
Does anyone else have a problem with him being welcomed back? OMXA, AMA, or would this have to be a by track decision?

He is not welcome at My place, I think the other OMA tracks would feel the same, but I can't speak for each of them.

I wanted to throw him out after the ambulance issue at our place. So ya, I would say he has worn out his welcome at Malvern.

It's easy to condemn promoters for "letting the guy in", but I had always wondered the extent of a promoter's rights when it comes to banning or ejecting undesirables. Can they just simply bar entry based on something read on the internet? Can you bar somebody because you don't like them or because of a reputation? Even after a conviction, can you ban them based on that? I had always thought they had to actually do somethng at your facility in order for you to ban them from it. And isn't that strictly up to the promoter? Can CRA/OMA ban somebody from an event? I guess they could reuse to score them, or maybe even sign them up, but wouldn't that have to be on the basis of breaking sanction rules?

I'm sure not defending the guy. As I said, I'll be telling a judge what I saw. I just wondered how many promoters have sought legal advice (not on the internet!) as to when and how you can ban or eject somebody without opening yourself to a civil suit.

Back