Changes coming to the LL Vet classes?

Original44

PR Addict
This I found on Vital. This is what Davey Coombs wrote.

We had a big meeting on Wednesday -- the OEMs, the AMA, MX Sports -- and talked about a lot of different ideas. While I personally believe Robbie Reynard and Trampas Parker and James Povolny are all amateurs now, they do make it nearly impossible for rank-and-file vet riders who don't train younger athletes or manage a track or work directly in the motocross world they used to race in as a professional. Someone came up with reconfiguring the vet classes and suggested adding more "non-pro" classes and limiting the categories those guys can race in. The Vault and AMA records make it possible to know every rider who ever raced pro, and even though we all get slower as we get older, some guys in that 25 - to - 45 range have distinct advantages -- the industry for rider development allows them to continue to ride and train in ways impossible for most everyone else.

I am not sure what the actual fixes would be, but I hear the OP's point here -- we need to revamp this and give some more guys who just race for fun a chance to compete in the vet classes at LL. Right now have +25, +35, +40, +45 for those former Pro guys to always battle in, but only one Vet B/C +30 for everyone else. We need to restrict this in one way, and open it up in others.

DC
MX Sports

He followed it up with this.

I left out +50 because that class will not change -- it will be open to all.

But I can see a structure where there is something like what Alex from the AMA mentioned, where "A" riders are fine (it won't hurt guys who race every weekend and reach A locally but were never true professionals, like Ray Niebel) but if you EVER had an actual AMA Pro license (which I did), then you can only ride in the +35 and +45, but anyone can try to race against the Pros in those +35 and +45 classes).

+25
+30 (Limited)
+35
+40 (Limited)
+45

Make sense? I am glad to hear anyone's suggestions and pass them on to the AMA and everyone else at MX Sports.

DC
MX Sports

I actually had some talks with some people about those possible changes, but I was keeping my mouth shut because I didn't think I was supposed to say anything! But I guess if DC is talking about it then I don't need to keep quiet anymore!

I think they are tiring of chasing around results and protests of every rider that at one time or another may have raced an "A" class at a local fair race or something, so the idea of this "limited" was born to really just focus on removing real ex-pros.

I guess the obvious question becomes -- do guys like Dave Jones, Randy Salamon, etc get to go back into these classes? Or does the top 5 still get booted out? This year Chris Opliger was removed from 30 B/C because someone found some faircross result or something from 15 years ago. So is he back in too? Personally I think these guys should be allowed in, but I guess it's just hard to know where to draw the line.

Last edited:
Someone is always gonna be on the outside looking in. When you have an event that pulls from the entire country or world for that matter, guys like myself will never actually have a chance at a title, but given what I read above, I'd have a better chance of being competative...err, just getting in...maybe.

Still alot of fast guys out there and with the advent of the "limited" classes, more folks will more than likely try to "get in" feeling they have a better chance making it again more difficult for the part time weekend warrior to get in. Not saying it's a bad thing there, just sayin'.

I think it what it said, being deemed "A" locally doesn't exclude you from the limited classes so Jones, Oplinger, Salamon, etc. will be able to race in the limited classes. 'Tis what you read?

I like it. I look to try and get to LL someday...err...before 50+. Next year? ;)

Can you race 30 limited and 30+ ?

I like the limited idea. It would offer a chance for people who work to put in a solid effort to get a spot in which they otherwise would never be able to.

Alot of guys ex pros stil have access to incredible equipment that us working joes can't get. Even if we could we couldn't ride that stuff effectively anyway.

There gonna have to start Sunday and race until Sunday with all these class additions.

Some day this will apply to me, I doubt I'll be any faster by then though so hopefully everyone else my age gets slower. hahaha

Ray Niebel gets screwed every year for having to run against former pro riders. I am not sure why a former Pro would need a Amateur Title to his resume anyway.

Ray Niebel gets screwed every year for having to run against former pro riders. I am not sure why a former Pro would need a Amateur Title to his resume anyway.
You know, I hear that all the time, but once a racer, always a racer I'd think. Where else can an ex pro go and attend and compete at an event like LL? I don't think it's the LL amatuer titel they are looking for as much as competion and the good times. Sure, the competition might be lacking to some extent, but I think more will come. Emig would have been there if not for getting hurt and Tortelli says he's running it next year...

I'm sure it brings back memories of riding at the ranch before their pro career, etc. Plus, myself, I think it's cool they mix 'em up to some extent. Just goes to show you how fast they really are/were. Of course, if I ever go to the ranch as a competetor, I think it would be cool the first moto and the first couple times they lapped me then I'd be good with getting them their own class... :)

I've said it a hundred times........If you had a PRO card, then you race Vet Pro. No other age classes. They could fill a 40 man gate. Reynard turned the fastest laps of the whole week in 35 plus. Faster than 250A, 450A and Pro Sport.

Implement new rules regarding the PRO guys, leave the existing A class stuff and upward movement the way it is. These guys that "raced one fair race in A class" or ect...... (bs) are still at the top of the class against these ex pro riders. The intent from DC was to give the normal Joe a chance at the Ranch.

I say you add one class. Call it "Pro Class", it would be a run what ya brung class. Anybody who has had a pro license or does have a pro license can enter, as long as they haven't scored any points in the pro system in the last two years. The other class for former and current pro license holders is the "pro sport" class.

The age classes could stay the same, A class and below. Possibly add a 40 plus B/C for the next jump after the 30 plus B/C guys.

I say you add one class. Call it "Pro Class", it would be a run what ya brung class. Anybody who has had a pro license or does have a pro license can enter, as long as they haven't scored any points in the pro system in the last two years. The other class for former and current pro license holders is the "pro sport" class.

The age classes could stay the same, A class and below. Possibly add a 40 plus B/C for the next jump after the 30 plus B/C guys.
Wouldn't it be cool to see all the past pros duke it out. McGrath, Emig, RC, Reynard, etc., etc. You know a lot of them still ride and that they even race each other on the weekends in Cali, etc. I likey the idea of the 40+ B/C. OMA should have a class like that. ;)

So if the old farts like Reynard are faster then the A classes, Why in the hell did Honda sign Hampshire to a big contract and not Robby?

Because he has a little bit of a gut, is balding, and does not look good in a Honda ad!!

So if the old farts like Reynard are faster then the A classes, Why in the hell did Honda sign Hampshire to a big contract and not Robby?
That was a one lap spurt. Still fast and shows the skill Robbie has (maybe another reason he shouldn't be running with a true amateur), but he didn't do that consistently nor need to. His lap times got slower as the moto went on...like most vets lap times go... ;)

Last edited:
In my mind, I've always said that there is a difference between the "pros" and the regular guys. My idea to not add classes and make for more interesting racing would be as follows:

+25 - Same as it is now - Old Pros and fast young guys
+30 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever…… not local A guys
+30 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+40 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever….. not local A guys
+40 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+50 - Same as it is now, but full gate of 42 riders over 50 years old.

That way any old pro can ride 2 classes depending on his age, +25 and +30Pro if he's 39 or younger. +30Pro and +40Pro if he's 40 or over. And the regular joes can ride +30 Limited (still like Vet B which is always the slowest big bike class at the ranch), and 2 of them if they are over 40 in +40 Limited too. But it gives the dads of the sport a place to race too if they aren't a really fast former pro rider a shot at Loretta Lynns too.

I think dropping 35 and 45 make sense if you give everyone a place to ride like that above. Have MX Sports bring back guys like McGrath, RC, Windham, etc to race in the Vet Pro class and people will line up to see them. The regular guys will be lining up to spend their money on entries for the +30 Limited / +40 Limited classes which will make MX Sports happy too.

Last edited:
Throw the A guys in there. There arent enough expro guys running to make a gate. If your an A rider then run A class.

Back