Changes coming to the LL Vet classes?

I like Knoxs classes there. And I totally agree, put the A riders in with the pros. And if the argument is true that the local A riders are sometimes riding more than the pros, then they will do well.

Just a thought from an outsider:

These guys like Reynard raced for a living. They took in large sums of money to do so. In any other sport, once a pro always a pro. Never to have "amateur" status again. I have always wondered why LL's/AMA are different.

Several earlier posts have it right. Create a class for these guys. People love to watch them make a comeback and ride. Hell throw a good size pro purse out there to entice it. But leave the amateur classes for exactly that...amateurs. Few people are going to spend the kind of money it takes to travel and qualify for LL's to only get there and get thrashed by old pros, simply to say "I lined up with Emig and Reynard and they blew my doors off".

In my mind, I've always said that there is a difference between the "pros" and the regular guys. My idea to not add classes and make for more interesting racing would be as follows:

+25 - Same as it is now - Old Pros and fast young guys
+30 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever…… not local A guys
+30 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+40 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever….. not local A guys
+40 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+50 - Same as it is now, but full gate of 42 riders over 50 years old.

That way any old pro can ride 2 classes depending on his age, +25 and +30Pro if he's 39 or younger. +30Pro and +40Pro if he's 40 or over. And the regular joes can ride +30 Limited (still like Vet B which is always the slowest big bike class at the ranch), and 2 of them if they are over 40 in +40 Limited too. But it gives the dads of the sport a place to race too if they aren't a really fast former pro rider a shot at Loretta Lynns too.

I think dropping 35 and 45 make sense if you give everyone a place to ride like that above. Have MX Sports bring back guys like McGrath, RC, Windham, etc to race in the Vet Pro class and people will line up to see them. The regular guys will be lining up to spend their money on entries for the +30 Limited / +40 Limited classes which will make MX Sports happy too.
I like that. Tell Davey. ;)

I'm on the fence about the local A guys. I mean, some of them are doing it just to grab a few bucks at a fair race since not all the real fast A guys go to them, but they definately wouldn't compete with the likes of McGrath, K-Dub, RC, etc....

+25 - Same as it is now - Old Pros and fast young guys
+30 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever…… not local A guys
+30 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+40 Pro - Anyone who had an AMA Pro License ever….. not local A guys
+40 Limited - Anyone who never had an AMA Pro License
+50 - Same as it is now, but full gate of 42 riders over 50 years old.

I'd change it to something similar as what Robin posted, except I'd call it the following:

+25
+30
+30 B/C
+40
+40 B/C
+50

The classes without "B/C" after them would be open skill level for anyone and as Robin stated make +50 a full gate. This is actually similar to the way it used to be like 15-20 years ago.

Defintely a huge difference in speed when it comes to the 30 b/c and 35+

The guy that won +30 b/c (Chad Murphy), got 36th OA in 35+.

I agree with many others on here that racing against former factory riders isn't a level playing field. A lot of them still have deeply rooted connections with engine builders, suspension companies, bike manufacturers and still ride and train on a weekly basis whether it be training other riders or training on their own. However, I don't believe the line should be drawn at "if you have ever held an AMA Pro license". That in my opinion is painting with a broad brush. Take myself for example. I got my Pro license in 1991. That year out of 3 nationals, I made one main event outdoors (never raced supercross). After that I went to college, played football and got a degree (which I currently don't use). In 2004 I got my AMA Pro license back. Not through any kind of points system or using current race results. I wrote them a letter stating my desire to have my pro license back and they granted it to me. I tried to qualify for 1-3 Nationals on a 450 through 2007 and never made one main event outdoors. By 2004 I was just happy to be at a National in the pits and getting super cheap Bridgestone tires! At that point I was married with a 40hr a week job. I was still quick enough to not look out of place in qualifying, but nor near fast enough to qualify. November of 2007 I compound fractured my femur. And that was that! But I made ONE national when I was 17 yrs old...ONE! I consider myself to be far from an A rider these days.

So....in my biased opinion (LOL) I think the line should be drawn by: 1. If you have ever scored a point in a Pro National or 2. how many years ago it was that you qualified for a national

Maybe have the rule read that your amateur status at LL's be revoked if you have qualified for a Pro National or Supercross in the past 20 years.
Thoughts?

Well, if you qualify for a national and score a point you should sign some paperwork that you revoke your amateur status for Loretta Lynns vet classes. Slap those puppies in the vault and now nobody can say otherwise if you were a pro or were not.

But the easiest thing to do is probably what pit and rocket suggested....a class structure like that. Allows for the Vet rider pounding down 40-70hr work weeks with the kid who qualified for nationals, the opportunity to race during that week as well.....

A rider is an A rider. At those speeds and ability you could forget more than most of us will ever know about going that fast and STILL beat most of us slow old guys. Now if there are full gates of ex points receiving pros then sure, make a new class structure.

Most vets have raced A class at one time in their life. To make a bunch of new b/c classes so ya don't have to race against your real competition is silly.
If ex license holders were excluded or restricted to certain classes(+25pro) I see the racing as fair game, being that most local A guys are busting their ass working full time jobs just the same as a B/C guy.

Why does everyone keep going back to who works or not????

If you have the ability to ride A class then do it! My god people this is another C class thread. You A riders go ahead and move back to B class and the rest of us can move back to C.

All you A riders are a bunch of ....whinning ....attention seeking.... need a trophy that shows I beat a B/C class squid.....insecure....bunch of pussies!

No offense intended of course

Id give just about anything to have the talent to ride a bike fast enough to be considered A class material. The last thing I would do is move back and cry about getting beat by fellow A class riders. If you are worried about it imagine how the normal B/C group of guys trying to qualify against them......AND YOU feel about it.

heres where it will end...

A VET championship series from RCH. and RED BUD look at the pay outs.

Each class will have heat races and a final. Payback and awards for the final race in each class only. Racers will need to bring social security card and complete a W9 form at registration.
Pro Class.
Riders age 18 & up. Open to Pro, ProAm and A riders. *PROOF OF CLASSIFICATION REQUIRED! We can look up AMA classification online. If you are not classified with AMA, bring a district card that shows your classification, or give us results to look up online for verification. Entry fee $100.

Payback (check paid directly to racer):
1. $10,000
2. $8,000
3. $6,000
4. $4,000
5. $3,000
6. $2,250
7. $1,500
8. $1,000
9. $750
10. $500
Vet Pro Class. Riders age 30 & up. Open to Pro, ProAm and A riders. *PROOF OF CLASSIFICATION REQUIRED! See above. If you race Vet B or B/C classes, you are not eligible. Entry fee $50.

Payback (check paid directly to racer):
1. $800
2. $650
3. $550
4. $450
5. $350
6. $250
7. $175
8. $150
9. $125
10. $100

SuperMini. Riders age 12-16. 79-112cc 2-stroke, 75-150cc 4-stroke; max. front wheel 19", max. rear wheel 16"; max. wheelbase 51". Entry fee $40.

Payback (check paid to motorcycle dealer of racer's choice):
1. $500
2. $375
3. $250
4. $200
5. $175
6. $150
7. $125
8. $100
9. $75
10. $50

2) Amateur Program:

The race is part of the five-race Racer X Vet Series, which counts the best four out of five rounds. More series info can be found at mxvets.com. Traditional 2-moto race format. If qualifiers are needed in a class, they counts as the first moto finish.

Friday practice (optional); $25/group. Friday practice groups:

GROUPCLASSES
25+ C, 35+ C, 45+ C, 30+ B, 45+ B
18+ A, 30+ A, 40+ A, 18+ B
35+ B, 50+ B, 30+ C, 40+ C
25+ A, 35+ A, 45+ A, 25+ B
40+ B, 50+ A, 55+, 60+, Women
Saturday practice and racing for the following classes:

18+ A18+ B/C18+ Women*
25+ A25+ B/C25+ Novice*
30+ A30+ B/C30+ Novice*
35+ A35+ B/C35+ Novice*
40+ A40+ B/C40+ Novice*
45+ A45+ B/C45+ Novice*
50+ A50+ B/C
55+60+

Here's an idea, give everyone a big trophy, a podium photo opp and speech, then have three practice groups and go home.

Here's an idea, give everyone a big trophy, a podium photo opp and speech, then have three practice groups and go home.
Do I have to drive down to get it? or can you just mail it to me.
(I dont have to pay for postage do I?, that would be a rip off)

Why does everyone keep going back to who works or not????

If you have the ability to ride A class then do it! My god people this is another C class thread. You A riders go ahead and move back to B class and the rest of us can move back to C.

All you A riders are a bunch of ....whinning ....attention seeking.... need a trophy that shows I beat a B/C class squid.....insecure....bunch of pussies!

No offense intended of course

Id give just about anything to have the talent to ride a bike fast enough to be considered A class material. The last thing I would do is move back and cry about getting beat by fellow A class riders. If you are worried about it imagine how the normal B/C group of guys trying to qualify against them......AND YOU feel about it.
Sure sounds like you're the whiner here.
Let me get this straight, you want a specific class for "the slow old guys", but will call someone like me an insecure pussy because I voice one opinion that an amateur vet is an amateur vet be it A, B, or C, save for ex Professional license holders?

Back