So, what's the Quad Excuse THIS week?

Bahaha....right!

D12 was on the way out before then. It was a last ditch effort to attract more bike guys and try to save the racing. Either way they were doomed it wasnt the no quad racing that killed them.

Sorry, I took it as a lot of people quit racing because the quads werent allowed. Not just quad riders.

Oh well my worn out brain needs a vacation.

D12 didn't kill quad racing, c'mon.

The New D12 was around for less than 10 years, and for only 1 of them did they run without allowing quads as a whole. Previous to that final season they had several tracks that did not allow quads -- Sandusky Valley Riders, Western Reserve, and then Mid Ohio. The only track in D12 that really had any form of reasonable quad turnout over the seasons was Broken Spokes.

Where did all the quads race in the 90's?

Here's the story I lived this period as a quad racer, so my account is first hand. Before d12. You had two quad classes, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Then along came d12, which seemed to give the guys that couldn't afford the nationals hope. Quad racing I felt grew some in the D12 days. Then it was eliminated, leaving a lot of guys a choice: nationals or quit or drive pretty far for crappy tracks that hated quads. As my friend sharc put it once "our disdain" with D12 is simply that they took away the opportunity to try and grow the sport. It's been held back for so long. Some of the stuff is fixable, but a lot of damage done in the past. Is what it is.

The only really way to run quads and bikes successfully at a big event is to run separate tracks or run separate days. Having big numbers is great but there is not enough daylight to support the numbers and give everyone the best track conditions and track time possible. Yes, running two tracks costs more money for a promoter but sometimes you have to spend more to make more. We took A LOT of heat when we decided not to run quads at OIR back in the day. We were averaging 88 quads per race for the first two years and were very nervous when we made that decision. Once we made the decision and moved forward our bike numbers doubled!!! We didn't do that because we hated quads(like some chose to believe), it just wasn't a good program running both together-it was a long day and the track suffered. Being bike riders, that was our area of expertise so that is what we chose to focus on. Quads should have a place to run with track conditions they like and quad riders(promoters) who know what they are looking for. We've really enjoyed being able to run quads this year at Big Game on their own track. Bikes are happy they get their own track prepped for them and quads are happy they have their own track prepped for them. (Curtis at Big Game is an experienced quad racer so he knows what they like) Everyone gets done at a reasonable hour! Win, win for everyone! Every race for every promoter is a learning experience- We are ALL in this business to provide the best possible race day for our riders and their families!

Well there you have it. Another local promoter who's bike numbers significantly increased with the separation of bikes and quads! JO you already have the capability to do this......give it a try a few times and compare numbers.

I gave it a try at the AQ. Actually, I had more for both battles for two days, practice and race than had for racing Saturday and Sunday at the qualifer this year.........what's up with that? Only 300ish per each race day at the AQ, I have never had a battle below 445......and a practice below 250......I rest my case.

Well there you have it. Another local promoter who's bike numbers significantly increased with the separation of bikes and quads! JO you already have the capability to do this......give it a try a few times and compare numbers.

Heck yeah, race them bikes over on the C track!

I gave it a try at the AQ. Actually, I had more for both battles for two days, practice and race than had for racing Saturday and Sunday at the qualifer this year.........what's up with that? Only 300ish per each race day at the AQ, I have never had a battle below 445......and a practice below 250......I rest my case.

Not really an accurate comparison. Bike classes are split between the two days for the AQ. But you can't really add the two days together though because there is a ridiculous amount of classes.

Not really an accurate comparison. Bike classes are split between the two days for the AQ. But you can't really add the two days together though because there is a ridiculous amount of classes.

And factor in it was the last AQ, if I am remembering correctly.

Back