OMA overall championships OPINION!

A bar is good for Championships...life is life...having a minimum does make it tougher and more prestigious to win a Championship. Regardless of a smaller chance to buy a Championship; like said before...endure the season.

Award planning can be done a unlimited amount of ways...OMA is choosing to place high value on the riders that do meet the quota.

You can't be mad because it is in the rule book...but it could have been better expressed.

Beyond being dramatic...it's true...the real reward is in the doing of it...motocross that is. Brap!

Its not that im mad at their rules, i dont agree with them and expressing my opinion. But what amazes me is how im not the only person that was slightly unaware of the rule because it is not very apparent. Doesnt CRA also cut out races towards points if you do so many? They only take your top XX amount of races towards points i do believe. That to me is more logical and will limit people from "buying" championships. Take a riders top 10 out of 14 races and count them towards points

Their is truth to that...a minimum plus a curve. Throw away races would tighten the screw a bit more...balance.

I would venture to say...2014 is a done deal.

2015!? We gotta wait and see what happens from sanctioning bodies.

We were trying to avoid having situations, like last year, where we had a number of people in the points after running 1-3 races.

Its never going to be perfect.

Just so everyone's clear, the website does not say no minimums anywhere. Granted it doesn't have the minimum number either.

On a side note, I have a bunch of extra ATV National, Battle, and LLAQ trophies I can sell cheap....cheaper than it would cost to run 1-3 races. buy a win, cheap. Hit me up for details. I will even include a sharpie so you can autograph it to yourself. For those that want to keep it real when families are over, I have plenty of 2nd-5ths too.

I raced:
2 OMA races. One Battle and One Moto-Rev.
3 CRA Wiseco Series races.
3 AMA Vintage Series races.

And I knew the rules to all of them. All the schedules and rules are released early in the season when the weather is still crappy and there's nothing else to do but sit and read them.
Each season I read the rulebooks. It's not all that hard, I skip over the sections that I don't care about like faircross, hare scramble, flat track, etc. and you make notes of the important items, like "must run 50% of the races" for OMA.

I got motivated late in the season to hit some local races, and decided to run some CRA Cup Series races. I went back and re-read the rules to see if it was worth going for an award or not.

All the organizations I look at have dramatically cut their requirements over the years to allow more people to get awards and be motivated to run a series. People are ripping on those that "buy a championship" by running a bunch of races. That's what the races are there for! I don't see anyone saying that Will Hahn got screwed out of finishing top ten in Supercross this year because Alessi ran more races than him.

An overall championship award for a local motocross series and $1.59 will get you a Coke at the gas station.
Points awards 90% of the time go to an undeserving "winner" If you go to 20 of 22 races and the best you finish is 12th, You are not a Champion. You are field filler with a fat wallet. And your award is the appreciation of the other riders and promoters for using your money to keep the sport alive
Do away with points series over 7 races and create a point structure like:
1st = 10 points
2nd = 7 points
3rd = 5 points
4th = 4
5th = 3
6th = 2
7 through 12th = 1 each

Below that you get nothing.

I believe that CRA changed to the new number of races once the OMA was formed. In my opinion the "best 35 races" deal was just greed amongst the track owners. I realize you have to pay the bills, but Pymatuning for example, having at least one race every weekend was beyond ridiculous. I believe his current numbers continue to reflect how sick people were of that.

If I am correct, I believe CRA is currently 20 races. Anything beyond that and they start dropping your lowest finishes. I do believe that is a good thing in case you had a race or two where you had some kind of bike trouble, flat tire, wreck, etc.

Maybe OMA could change the formula for its different series to something like a 12-race series requires you to race a minimum of 6 races, but will score your top 5 at the end of the year.

I don't ever think you'll get away with some people trying to buy championships. It was going on twenty years ago and is still going on today.

Really, 50% is too much to ask?
champ_zps7a83b0a5.png

Nope...just communicated better. I feel ashamed having read the rule book before the season started...that's why I asked if it was changed. Sorry.

Thinking back...I could have announced it the first riders meeting of the season at Malvern...I had a copy of the rule book with high lighted areas...this detail would of had to been one of them if I know myself as well as I think I do. Sorry Again. I slipped. At least on my end of things.

I raced:
2 OMA races. One Battle and One Moto-Rev.
3 CRA Wiseco Series races.
3 AMA Vintage Series races.

And I knew the rules to all of them. All the schedules and rules are released early in the season when the weather is still crappy and there's nothing else to do but sit and read them.
Each season I read the rulebooks. It's not all that hard, I skip over the sections that I don't care about like faircross, hare scramble, flat track, etc. and you make notes of the important items, like "must run 50% of the races" for OMA.

I got motivated late in the season to hit some local races, and decided to run some CRA Cup Series races. I went back and re-read the rules to see if it was worth going for an award or not.

All the organizations I look at have dramatically cut their requirements over the years to allow more people to get awards and be motivated to run a series. People are ripping on those that "buy a championship" by running a bunch of races. That's what the races are there for! I don't see anyone saying that Will Hahn got screwed out of finishing top ten in Supercross this year because Alessi ran more races than him.

No but you also dont see them taking away awards if AC won the championship by winning all the races he attended, or scoring the most points in the class, but not making it to 50% of the races.

Thinking back...I could have announced it the first race...I had a copy of the rule book with high lighted areas...this detail would of had to been one of them if I know myself as well as I think I do. Sorry Again. I slipped. At least on my end of things.

Quit blaming yourself before we all throw eggs at you ha ha

No but you also dont see them taking away awards if AC won the championship by winning all the races he attended, or scoring the most points in the class, but not making it to 50% of the races.
True...but it's a different budget/economy in these parts...locally and being in Ohio.

Its never going to be perfect.

Just so everyone's clear, the website does not say no minimums anywhere. Granted it doesn't have the minimum number either.

True...not perfect...but practically balanced. Then folks can rest content and have fun racing.

Information like "Champion Requirements" should be forthcoming by any sanctioning body or for races in general that are stand alone.

The only true way of accountability for a sanctioning body is on printed schedules and rule books in this matter. I also understand a young budget.

Then make sure it is also announced at races.

Really, 50% is too much to ask?
champ_zps7a83b0a5.png

Well it should be listed under the racing schedule tab for each series as well since this is all it says

Moto Revolution Series "The top 5 in each class will be awarded at the end of the year banquet."

Kames Saturday Night Series "The top 5 in each class will be awarded at the end of the year banquet."

Sorry i didnt think of looking in a RULEbook for classifications on AWARDS.

Are you really comparing the pro sx or mx series to the OMA? Their money is coming in regardless, when is the last time you didnt see a full gate at those races?

Well it should be listed under the racing schedule tab for each series as well since this is all it says

Moto Revolution Series "The top 5 in each class will be awarded at the end of the year banquet."

Kames Saturday Night Series "The top 5 in each class will be awarded at the end of the year banquet."

Sorry i didnt think of looking in a RULEbook for classifications on AWARDS.

Well imagine that, not thinking to look in the rule book for the rules.

Back