Gearing up for SX in the Diego of San...

Scoob

PR Founding Father
http://racerxonline.com/2015/02/03/animated-track-map-san-diego
Rd06_SanDiego01.jpg

http://racerxonline.com/2015/02/04/san-diego-notes-package
http://www.supercrossonline.com/RaceDayLive/

Track looking to lend itself to Roczen. No real whoops. Few options in rythm sections. Let's hope for some good competative racing and not a hole shot run away shall we?....

Not a fan of the design at all. What's up with the goofy first turns this year. The start at Daytona is even messed up this year.

Make the track tougher and the racing stays more competitive and interesting. Think Knox came up with that, lol.

I figured it out (personally) I am not going to be happy until the whole track is all big whoops... forget the rhythm sections and the triples and finish double. WHOOPS turn, whoops, whoops, turn... guess what's next? WHOOPS. Oh, and an elevated starting gate the is "7 feet in the air" Apparently John Gallagher is 8 foot tall, cause when he was standing in front of the line during the restart process, his head was above the gate... 25 minuets of conversation about if the holeshot device was going to disengage but no time to talk to everyone on the podium. Nice.
And if I see that stupid Toyota commercial again I am going to show them the "mustard and the nachos" on the bottom of my boot. Damn, EVERY commercial break... ENOUGH...

Track looking to lend itself to Roczen. No real whoops. Few options in rythm sections. Let's hope for some good competative racing and not a hole shot run away shall we?....

Curious on the Roczen comment. Looking at the track I'm going with Dungey, Canard, Tomac.

Dungey can't be beat on flat corners, his pass for the lead last week was a good example. If he can get a start he's golden. IMO, the rhythm sections are going to be where Canard and Tomac shine, they both have been doing things this year that no one else on the track was doing (i.e. quad at phoenix I believe).

I like the jumps in the middle of the whoops, good chance for error/crashes to shake things up. I agree though, big whoops and tough obstacles = great racing.

I'd love to see an entire start straight nothing but whoops...massive carnage on every start!

I'm with you on Dungey and the flat sweeper type corners . Reed is fast in those too ( or was ) .

I'd like to see a start 7 feet lower than the track . Let 'em launch at a wall and then flat land . How about a whoop-sweeper ? Maybe a " Jackass " lane that cuts off half the track but you have to do a ramp to ramp back flip ?

I'm old and long for the early days of SX ; water holes , sand pits , TIGHT turns , NO-rhythm sections ( no way to time , just grit it and hit it ), a loop up into the stands with a big drop- away back down , etc. .

Tracks were definitely MUCH different back in the 80s and early 90s. Would be interesting to see some of the guys race on that type track.

I'm with you on Dungey and the flat sweeper type corners . Reed is fast in those too ( or was ) .

I'd like to see a start 7 feet lower than the track . Let 'em launch at a wall and then flat land . How about a whoop-sweeper ? Maybe a " Jackass " lane that cuts off half the track but you have to do a ramp to ramp back flip ?

I'm old and long for the early days of SX ; water holes , sand pits , TIGHT turns , NO-rhythm sections ( no way to time , just grit it and hit it ), a loop up into the stands with a big drop- away back down , etc. .

Detroit is still going into the stands, grab some tickets if you're feeling nostalgic!

You know, a mainstay of SX back in the stone age (80's early 90's) was the low launching double that no matter where you hit it, you would still land on top. It was a rounded landing jump but still provided a weird landing just enough to justify not jumping it. It was about the same speed to try it vs. roll it. It was a passing zone wet dream. Want to jump it? Go outside in the corner and no way would you make the inside on the following corner. Want to roll it? Take the inside and leave snail tracks over both jumps and make the inside on the way out. It made for passing nearly every lap. Always had one at the Silverdome and most other tracks. Dallas had one on that rock hard dirt with all the plastic scrap mixed in... You never see that design anymore.
Back then I believe the idea of the track builders was to prevent any "rhythm". Whoops were made with various sizes so you could not just go WFO through them. Funky kicker jumps and assorted large "speed bumps" where put in to make obstacles tougher. Think I posted it before but I rode a SX back in 1991 or 92 in Toronto that the whoops were so deep and so close tougher that you had to ride though them at an angle just to keep form going over the bars. Ok that may be a little to much, but I do wish they would at least try one week of "retro" style track just to see how new bikes and this generation could handle it.

Anybody know if Davalos is in or out ? He raced 2 weeks ago but not last week I think . He is listed on the san Diego roster in the Fantasy SX and I didn't see anything about him in the injury report .

Anybody know if Davalos is in or out ? He raced 2 weeks ago but not last week I think . He is listed on the san Diego roster in the Fantasy SX and I didn't see anything about him in the injury report .

From 2 days ago on his Instagram , not sure if this helps .

image.jpg

I miss seeing the tough huge whoops, I haven't seen someone eat it through whoops in a minute because they've been soooooo easy. Honestly I miss JS7 and RV because they would do things in rythms that no one else would do. The tracks this year have been too easy and they promote single line racing

It's a theory but no tough track that allow for separation of the better riders means better closer racing and more exciting viewing which equals more seats in the stands...
Crazy how close lap times are for top 12-15 guys

Looks like a possible blue groove track tonight...

Ouch! Copper took a decent digger in timed qually one...

Thinking fast horsepower track. Big bikes second faster at the top spot.

Last edited:
Yeah, these guys are all so good, and with the tracks set up so everyone is doing everything, it is all about the start. Build a tough track that makes even these guys struggle a little bit, and it would be interesting.

[QE="ck1racerx, post: 591775, member: 11127"]I figured it out (personally) I am not going to be happy until the whole track is all big whoops... forget the rhythm sections and the triples and finish double. WHOOPS turn, whoops, whoops, turn... guess what's next? WHOOPS. Oh, and an elevated starting gate the is "7 feet in the air" Apparently John Gallagher is 8 foot tall, cause when he was standing in front of the line during the restart process, his head was above the gate... 25 minuets of conversation about if the holeshot device was going to disengage but no time to talk to everyone on the podium. Nice.
And if I see that stupid Toyota commercial again I am going to show them the "mustard and the nachos" on the bottom of my boot. Damn, EVERY commercial break... ENOUGH...[/QUOTE]
I can't stand that commercial. I'm so with you on that more more whoops!

Back