Who here plays guitar?

jms158bmx

PR Member
This needs its own thread after seein a couple guys in the mortgage post talkin. Lets get a rig rundown of your setups. My current setup consists of an epi les paul standard tobacco burst run through a line 6 spider 4. Got a couple distortion pedals that never get used since I got the spider. Had a crate 100w tube amp that was just rediculous for my tiny house, Im sure the neighbors are glad its gone. Also got a fernandes acuostic. Just traded a cheapo ibenez electric for a prototype washburn dime from 1995. Lets see some pics of what you guys got.

Johnson millennium 4x12 cab 100 watt stereo tube head.
Fender American standard Hendrix white on white with tex mex stacked humbuckers . Custom tone mod.
Line 6 floor pod for traveling light.
Les Paul cherry sunburst lefty.
1981 fender strat Japanese vintage lefty.
Ibanez prestige 24 fret with Floyd rose lefty.
As well as a fee others

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 184
So Mike how long were you guys a band, and did you do a lot of shows? How did you get started?
JMS what's your music story?

I wish I had time to dedicate to the guitar. I pick it up every now and then but then by the time I give it a go I forget half of what I learned. I enjoy playing the acoustic much more than the electric. I used to play the piano when I was younger, until I got to the age to where I didnt think playing the piano was "cool".... I'd love to pick that up again sometime too, for whatever reason I was pretty naturally talented at that, not so much the guitar.

So Mike how long were you guys a band, and did you do a lot of shows? How did you get started?
JMS what's your music story?

I remember the day we got cable tv in the late 80s. Soon as my dad turned on mtv my life was changed. Welcome to the jungle came on and my mind was blown. I was like a caveman discovering fire. Instantly I knew I had to play guitar. Mom took me to a music store signed me up for lessons and rented me a guitar for about a year till I saved up enough to buy a super sweet pink washburn. Had a band Throughout jr high but when it got to high school fell apart with everyone getting into trouble. Didnt play again till about 3-4 years ago. Now Im into it more than ever. I try to play at least 1-2 hrs a day, and spend twice that staring at guitars on ebay.

I started playing in the beginning of 1989 when my grandma got me a junky acoustic for Christmas and I was hooked. Got a nicer fender acoustic after about 2 months then a peavey electric about 5 months after that. Had a little crate amp. Bout a year later I got a Kramer which I still have and love how it plays. Got a crate halfstack at the same time. Played 3-4 hrs every day. Full blast. Parents put up with it cuz they knew I loved it. Played in a band all through jr high and high school. Played a couple talent shows and a couple grad parties. After graduation everybody kinda drifted apart. Kinda quit playing. Around 2005 got back into it. Went out and bought a mesa triple rectifier. God I loved that amp. Played in a band for about 3 years then it broke up. Ended up selling my Mesa to buy parts for the Harley. Wish I wouldn't of done that. Been thinking about getting back into it. Was at guitar center the other weekend drooling over les pauls and played a really sweet Martin acoustic. Need to win the lottery.

I enjoy playing the acoustic much more than the electric. I used to play the piano when I was younger, until I got to the age to where I didnt think playing the piano was "cool".... I'd love to pick that up again sometime too, for whatever reason I was pretty naturally talented at that, not so much the guitar.

Why acoustic over the electric?
I never had any interest in piano, but once I began learning the guitar and discovered the similarities, you realize you can learn both. We have a small electronic keybooard at the house as well. I'll occasionally sit down and try and work through music pieces on it.

Guitar music is much like Dirt Bikes in that, once it's in you, you're forever infected.

Not sure, just like the sound of it and rather play that type of music. I can definitely cover up mistakes more on the electric though, which is nice. My amp took a crap on me anyhow so its acoustic or nothing until I get another amp and theres 0 motivation to do that anytime soon lol.

I started playing in the beginning of 1989 when my grandma got me a junky acoustic for Christmas and I was hooked. Got a nicer fender acoustic after about 2 months then a peavey electric about 5 months after that. Had a little crate amp. Bout a year later I got a Kramer which I still have and love how it plays. Got a crate halfstack at the same time. Played 3-4 hrs every day. Full blast. Parents put up with it cuz they knew I loved it. Played in a band all through jr high and high school. Played a couple talent shows and a couple grad parties. After graduation everybody kinda drifted apart. Kinda quit playing. Around 2005 got back into it. Went out and bought a mesa triple rectifier. God I loved that amp. Played in a band for about 3 years then it broke up. Ended up selling my Mesa to buy parts for the Harley. Wish I wouldn't of done that. Been thinking about getting back into it. Was at guitar center the other weekend drooling over les pauls and played a really sweet Martin acoustic. Need to win the lottery.

I would prolly cut off my pinky toe for a triple rectifier. Like you said must win lottery...

I would prolly cut off my pinky toe for a triple rectifier. Like you said must win lottery...
There's no other amp that sounds like them. I've got active emg's in my Kramer and the tone was just unbelievable. You could crank that Mesa full blast and it sounded crisp and clear. So stupid getting rid of it.

I started when I was 18. I played trumpet in the school symphonic band and got braces at 18 ending my trumpet career temporarily. I was scheduled to hit Vegas in a big band brass trio that never materialized in 1983.
Once I picked up that guitar and felt the power of a Peavey amp and a Ibanez I was hooked. We formed a number of bands in the 80's including Strange wine as well as the White boys. We primarily played keg parties(a lot of them) and in the flats. I entered 2 guitar player of the year contests in Cleveland which was awesome. Winners were Neil Zaza and the following year Franky Starr. I was a stoner freak out for fun and got plenty of it. When Jack was born in 1996 I gave up all my old ways including Guitar. I got back into MX when Jack was 3 and did not pick up the guitar until almost 2004-5 .
I pitched all my death metal stuff and grabbed an Acoustic . I hated it. Could not play without distortion. Did not know any regular open chords. I had a piano theory background and read and wrote music for trumpet. Never had heard of tabs or even known any of the chords I was playing. I played by ear on the guitar with no formal training. When I got into Church I tried out for the band . I had to know keys and chords and played slowed leads and stuff I am not used too. I love it. It is very satisfying to play music and not be doing a crazy solo all the time. I have learned to appreciate more is less.
I taught brass music to the Jr.High band when Jack was in 5-6-7-8 grades. That was very rewarding. Some of my fondest memories are leading those kids in the OSU fight song from my almamata at the concert performances at school.
I bought Jack his first guitar. A Jackson solo artist . Wrote him a long note about how fulfilling music was to me and how in times of my life I could express myself without speaking. A true gift from God. He has dabbled a bit but never stuck with it. He has the talent and the ear to play.
I can tell that I have diminishing skills and my fingers can no longer play what my mind wants them too. I only play once or twice a week anymore with three kids I just cant find the time. So I kinda stay where Im at technically speaking. But it is probably my number one passion in my life. The best part of playing for me is that I set the mood. Slow or fast loud or soft. Shred on.....seek and Destroy!

I lo
I remember the day we got cable tv in the late 80s. Soon as my dad turned on mtv my life was changed. Welcome to the jungle came on and my mind was blown. I was like a caveman discovering fire. Instantly I knew I had to play guitar. Mom took me to a music store signed me up for lessons and rented me a guitar for about a year till I saved up enough to buy a super sweet pink washburn. Had a band Throughout jr high but when it got to high school fell apart with everyone getting into trouble. Didnt play again till about 3-4 years ago. Now Im into it more than ever. I try to play at least 1-2 hrs a day, and spend twice that staring at guitars on ebay.
I loved cable TV...All the big hair and all. Night Ranger. Ozzy> Dio

That was a room over top of a big garage. Three out of five smoked. By the end of the night you could barely see across the room. I really miss those days. Just jammin out with some buddies.
image.jpg

Shake -N- Bake baby!!!!

I have jammed with Beenriden a couple times, the man can shred! I have a full band with a dozen or so guitfiddles,bases and stuff. also have a studio now at the shop.

New Yorkville PA. I play acoustic and have a Fender Showman that is awesome and a fender Blues Deville with 4 10 's I play my Fender US Tele through.

Shake -N- Bake baby!!!!

I have jammed with Beenriden a couple times, the man can shred! I have a full band with a dozen or so guitfiddles,bases and stuff. also have a studio now at the shop.

New Yorkville PA. I play acoustic and have a Fender Showman that is awesome and a fender Blues Deville with 4 10 's I play my Fender US Tele through.

What you think of the tele? Ive never even held a fender but Ive lookin at tele thinlines. Im guessin theyre made overseas cause of how cheap they are.

I started when I was 18. I played trumpet in the school symphonic band and got braces at 18 ending my trumpet career temporarily. I was scheduled to hit Vegas in a big band brass trio that never materialized in 1983.

This is amazing - what a great set of common interests we just stumbled across!! I am a jazz trumpet and keyboard guy.

Played keyboard in bands through college - mostly pop stuff Billy Joel, Elton John, Styx, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, etc. not much death metal. Also played a lot of jazz trumpet in Texas - North Texas State was a jazz hot bed.

I have a music performance degree in trumpet from North Texas State University circa 1985. I added a Computer Science major so I wouldn't starve.

I gave my keyboard to my daughter when she moved out but could be easily convinced to getting another and coming up for a session. I still have my amps.

Holy cow...Crazy thing is I can not free play on my trumpet. I have to have music. I can not play my guitar with music as good as I can free play.
I was at Moberly Missouri a few years back at an AHRMA race and a few guys got up and played, I wished I had brought my axe.

Supercross at Double D house is the bomb. We rock...last time I left there my fingertip calluses were raw!!!!

Shake -N- Bake baby!!!!

Double D is the rythym king. Smooth and he can sing too! Who was that drummer that was over the last time we got together?

Back