Pymatuning needs your imput Here we go ,I've always want to ask but maybe didn't have the --lls

Hi Tim , we met this summer and I thought all of your boys were a great asset to our night of racing ,your group is welcome any time and I probably received more comments from the " I remember back in the days guys " than I have in a long time . Most of the people there that nite were quite impressed that the trikes handled the jumps with ease . In fact there has been a lot of talk on these threads about how dangerous our jumps are I'm guessing they haven't been out in a while because we've been taming down our jumps the last couple years . we ran 16 races this year and the ambulance only left three times and they all came back after being checked out . You can hit all of our jumps everyway but upside down and save it ,they are very forgiving and after watching you guys hitting them with the hammer down proved that to me that nite . As far as catering to the Oma , you and your crew should maybe give the pit more of a chance it's really every riders site and is a great way to get Messages out to the masses of riders weather it be the weather conditions , track promotions or what have you . you see a lot of OMA on here only because they're excited about their new venture and they talk about it a lot . it's only natural perhaps the CRA should get more excited and spout off about what it has to do. I have to say Tim you should come talk to us , in the little bit of posting you did you gave me 15 or 20 good ideas that I thought we're great . We're going to have to try some of that stuff you suggested at this year's 3 day . We're going to go old school and follow the format of the earlier years . I want all riders to comment and give imput , we would never abandon our rider base they're the ones that kept us in business this long just look at our quad turn out sometimes of 10 or 15 quads at a race and we still will always accommodate them . Our new goal is to bring those numbers up we've always liked the quads , they will always have a place at holeshot ,and the split format is the way to do it , both quad and bike riders get the best conditions on the track that way . Anyways Tim glad to see you on pit racer don't let anyone chase you away ( I have a feeling you can take care of yourself you don't me sticking up for you ) hang in there and continue to comment we want everyone to Post an opinion I wish more CRA guys would get on here so we can hear how they feel this is Everybody's site and we value all imput , you sound like you know your way around the marketing game , we should talk we're going to need a lot more manpower for what we have in store for the future and could use your help . I hope you get a hold of me. TKS ART

Last edited:
I'm confused...who is Hillary or Trump or Sanders or Cruz or Rubio in this thread?

(Don't answer that question...it just seems to me that generally people are more willing to fight each other or play games to prove their point rather than getting something done together that actually matter. Doesn't matter if it's our government, our job, our family, or motocross, and etc.)

Breaks my heart.

That's life. Dog eat dog. Only way art is going to save himself is by kicking some promoting ass. He can only beat other promoters at the sign up booth. It's up to him. He's gotta adapt and figure out how to do it.

Art, thanks for the kind words. The last five years have certainly been interesting and filled with mixed emotions. It feels like it has been an extremely long and sometimes bumpy road but I truly believe we are on the right track and have a promising Mx season ahead of us.

Pymatuning, where do I start. I have made the 3 hour drive up there to race with you more times than I could possibly count. Starting in the early 90's up until about 2001. I didn't stop going for any negative reason I just got out of racing for about a decade. It's funny to look back now, some of my fondest memories up there were battling with Trevor (who almost always edged me out) in the pro class. Or watching Sammy Yannatelli be the first person (and maybe the only) to jump the big triple on a KX80. Anyway, for the most part I always enjoyed myself. Although I was not around the scene when your decline started, it is not hard to understand. Much like any business, as profit goes down, so does available funds for reinvestment in the equipment/facility and things can just snowball from there.

Trying to rebuild, unfortunately that is usually harder than starting from scratch. A bad reputation is unbelievably hard to overcome. I am still slowly making progress with that at Malvern in regards to the track surface. Anyone who raced there in the 90's knows it had a reputation for being hard pack and slick with large pieces of shale constantly popping up. Well, with over 400 loads of sand and 100 loads topsoil those conditions no longer exist. Point being that it is still a fight to get some people from that era to come because even though they have heard it has changed and even seen pictures, in their head it is still the same.

If I were in your shoes: Obviously I don't know what your plans are, only that you intend to buy more property next to you. Having more property is always a positive, however what you choose to do with it can prove to be a negative. I personally would buy the property for the future but would not do anything with it at this point. Instead I would spent that money on better or more equipment and really focus on making what you currently have good. I mean take a step back and look at it from your potential customers perspective. Here we have a promoter/facility who can not come close to filling the current facility and is not known for taking particularly good/consistent care of the track but is planning on expanding his facility. As a racer I can't see why that scenario would be appealing, it just doesn't make sense.
Hi Jason , I miss our chats at the meetings . Thanks for the constructive input ,I've always respected your judgement . Your continued success with Oma is proof that my assement of you was spot on ,I tip my hat to your skills and courage . You and I are probably the only ones Who realize what a Balsley move that was especially being married and a family man and having a family to look out after . Melvern lis a big investment and you put it all on the line just so the bar for the motocross community could be raised , if it didn't work for you there wasn't going to be anybody there to Bail you out , but you still did it . I hope you raise it even higher and continue to reach new levels of success . I still consider you my friend and will always give you credit for jump starting the mx scene in our little corner of the woods . I wish you and your associates continued success and I mean that from the bottom of my heart , good luck with your new stable of tracks and your 2016 season . After all isn't It really about the ryder , I think that's who is really going to benefit with all this !

Last edited:
Just one more thing now that I'm awake . Some of you on here may want to continue to foster the hatred and the bad blood between the Cra and the Oma but I'm here to tell you that all that will do is tear down two great organizations . If you really want to raise the bar in Ohio support both organizations , together we can reach heights that a few years ago we could have only dreamed about ,and it only makes it better for the Ryder .

Before I started back into the racing game and built Pymatuning Holeshot Raceway I built niteclub venues all over the United States from coast-to-coast , huge night clubs with huge sound systems until finally purchasing one in Ocean City Maryland back in 1984 . It was an old rock 'n' roll club with a beer wine and liquor carry out in the front of it called the wine rack . we worked a deal for the joint renamed the place and called it scandals nightclub by 1985 we were the number one rock 'n' roll dance club on the East Coast so much so that the guys from Baltimore that owned hammerjack's were interested in buying it from us . Well after five or six years the city of Ocean City Maryland made that decision for us they wanted a new police station and our nightclub sat on the property they needed so they exercised eminent domain law and bought the place from us . I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that Beech lifestyle was starting to grow on me , anyways I always had in the back of my mind the old snowmobile race track that Bud Fischer and myself built back in 1974 when we graduated high school .the 50 acre field that once had corn in it that is now the start of Pymatuning Holeshot raceway . I came home talked to cycle city of Erie who was big into racing if any you remember Gary Pustelak's name around the racing scene and he encouraged me to build the place . the rest is history. The reason why I tell this story is because I have the expertise to build sound and communication systems like probably nobody else among us , and I can do it on the cheap side because I can buy you all used equipment used amplifiers and so forth. I went to the auction several years back when they broke up the cart racing series for the Indy racing network I bought all of the racing radio headsets that were used in that series and probably still have 150 of them extra sitting in boxes. , those were the good headsets you know the $400 sets . My Ultimate goal is to continue to foster good competitive relationships between the Oma and the Cra and know that if one of us is in a jam and you're having your big weekend and your radio or your sound system goes down you can call on Me or our group to help , or if you just need help with one of your big race weekends we want you to know we could be there for you and hope you'll be there for us . I know we have a ways to to get to that point but that's what Ohio really needs ! Just imagine !!!

Last edited:
Your tricycle numbers don't fly. It's a clown class. Once a month spectacle. It's like comparing a powderpuff night at a dirt track. Why isn't there a tricycle class built in any track on a normal basis? I race +50 and we always out number the clown classes at quality tracks.
Also I do have a business. Next time you see me at a track come introduce yourself. I'll grab a few nickels from my tin cup and buy you a burger and a Coke.
And JO thanks for using the words "do not necessarily" , instead of "do not".
Wow, no reason to act that way.

I have no input other than there is $$ in that party tent idea. But it would need to be at powerline park or yankee lank. Those dudes party hard.. And still ride lmao!

Wow , what a marathon work session today in the CRA organazation and it was kind of nostalgiac . The meeting was held at our president s ( Yog our shy but fearless leader ) boy hood home where his mother is still doing quite well into her 80 ' s . The spirit of yogs father ,willy miller , seemed like his was watching over us all day ( and I do mean all day from 11am to 7 pm tonite , ya that's right we evened worked right through the damm game trying to transform the CRA group .'). Anyways it just seemed to be fitting to be transforming our little group of mx warriors in the house of one of the original founding members of the CRA from way back when. , I better move on with this before I tear up !

I'm very pleased to report that we made great strides today . First out of the box we hired a media promotions manager who will be responsible for the re-imaging of our website our branding and handling our press releases and media racing packages for the bike shops. And the biggest improvement of all , the CRA will be completely transformed digitally including our Webb site ,Facebook ,Twitter and the addition of a completely new digital transponder scoring system for all of our famous harescramble division tracks and that even means lightning
raceway too , way down in the excitement Captial of southern most Ohio tippie canoe . (Really you can't make that up ! )

I'm also happy to announce the The addition of several new tracks the names to be announced in the future ( we're probably going to make a guessing contest out of it with the winner receiving one of our new racer package kit s ). The CRA racer pkg includes of course a 2016 membership card . Two complimentary regs coupons for two class sign ups good at any CRA venue , two complimentary gate passes also good at any CRA venue a rule book which will contain the completely new CRA mx class structure ( I think the rider base is going to love this new class structure the most ) and will top that of with paperwork explaining all of our new series races and sponsor pkgs , including , for example our brand new WISCO MASTERS VET series .

I think I'll leave it at that for now , but will say there's a lot great things yet to come .

It's late , I'm tired from one of the most productive CRA work sessions in many many years

Last edited:
Good luck Art with your renewed efforts at your facility.
Tks jo we haven't met yet but that means a lot to me , it looks like we both have our work cut out for us this season , I wish you and Jason only the best and continued success with the Oma machine . Feel free to contac me anytime with PA system or communications problems , trust me I know how to make a PA system sing better than most pro's out there , I've been doing it a long time and I would of course volunteer my services , and that goes for any other track that might be looking for some direction with PA systems on this site. Good luck everyone in the upcoming mx season , remember if we're truly a mx family. Don't be afraid to ask the family for help. After all it's all about making it better for the rider together as a group ! Tks ART

As far as catering to the Oma , you and your crew should maybe give the pit more of a chance it's really every riders site and is a great way to get Messages out to the masses of riders weather it be the weather conditions , track promotions or what have you . you see a lot of OMA on here only because they're excited about their new venture and they talk about it a lot . it's only natural perhaps the CRA should get more excited and spout off about what it has to do.

Art, I haven't seen you post on here much, but I've been on here since before they had a pay to post annual membership, and almost as long as the site has existed. I've watched it evolve over the years to what it is today. I don't know where you've been, but you are describing what it used to be. There are some great people on this site, who are only interested in OMA and AMA 2 wheel motocross, and that's fine, but there are also a handful of haters who are ready to dump on, and pile on any positive posts about quads, or CRA, in the way my post in this thread was first responded to. MX099's post had nothing to do with being excited about OMA, and is quite typical of what you get in here if you're not a member of the dominant clique. I can handle it. First time posters usually leave and don't come back. Just look at the first post on here about Skyview where Beth was immediately bashed for not posting earlier. Your CRA racers have either all gone, or simply read and won't post. I haven't been on here is months and only pop in now and then to annoy people who wish I'd leave.

I'm glad to see your attempts at building goodwill with the OMA promoters. They are good people working in a different direction. For that goodwill to ever amount to anything, they are going to need to keep the handful of trolls who make their forum appear hostile to non-OMA, non-2 wheel machines on a shorter leash, and some real moderation to keep threads on topic. It's great to have good relations with your competitor, but it doesn't mean you're required to hold your business discussions on your competitors forum, subject to their moderating practices.

Last edited:
Anyways, glad the meeting went well. I'm seeing some real plans for action brewing. Hope you still talk with Bud Fischer. He has a lot of insight on transforming a dwindling AMA National into a thriving non-AMA event, with 35% exhibition classes that the AMA didn't want, and I have a lot of insight on getting trail riders onto race tracks. Id be happy to talk with you at anytime by phone, in person meeting, or email.

Anyways, glad the meeting went well. I'm seeing some real plans for action brewing. Hope you still talk with Bud Fischer. He has a lot of insight on transforming a dwindling AMA National into a thriving non-AMA event, with 35% exhibition classes that the AMA didn't want, and I have a lot of insight on getting trail riders onto race tracks. Id be happy to talk with you at anytime by phone, in person meeting, or email.

hi Tim thanks for the support and don't get discouraged about a few guys , overall this site is a great way to get our word , promotions and upgrades out to the masses. You don't know me very well yet but I have no problem standing up for what I believe in and pitracer negative Nelly's will not scare us away . most of it is our fault because we haven't taken advantage of the site and now we are , they will soon get used to seeing us on here and waiting for information . The Cra is a proud organization and not afraid of anyone in reality we're going through a rebirth right now just give us a bit of time to get our stuff together and you will be impressed !

Back