7 minute moto. If your lucky or slow

isn't the king of the cliff race going to be long motos and limited classes?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

2016 KOC Flyer Small.jpg

King of the Cliff will be stellar, you just come on up and camp.

Last edited:
You are correct in that GP's are not motocross. Although some motocross is included in the track layout. Like Hershey, in MX it usually takes me a couple laps to get my body to adjust up to racing speed. We also know, that part of the reason GP's are gaining in popularity are due to shortcomings and issues in MX racing, race "track time" included.

I have never been a fan of woods racing, but I do love a long track, and a track that is designed for the average rider like me. We all want a track that we can compete on, but I still like to be challenged and stretched. I like changes, and a track that flows, but then sections that impede flow and slow you down. I love the GP's in that I often can go as fast I as dare to go, and charge like hell for as many laps as I can squeeze in, especially if I flop somewhere and have to play catch up. They could take out all of the tree's, and I'd be happy, as long as we still had a minimum of a 5-7 minute lap time. And longer is better. Or give me a 2-3 minute lap time, but 30 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is that the motocross side of our sport needs to look closer at the positive things that GP racing gives us, and what the riders really see in GP racing. Especially the schedule format in that you almost always know exactly when you are racing, and when it's over. (Another note, is that in GP racing there is no warm up or practice laps. We just throw the flag and go!)

Last edited:
I prefer a green white checkered. MX is like speedway racing over in minutes. Honda Hills always ran 10 Min + 1 lap. Malvern used to run 30 min motos for the pros, COCR 20 Min. 10 Min + one should be the norm.

Ha. Practice days are full because people can't ride hard for 4 laps. Crute goes out for 3. Stops. Talks. Rides another 3. Stops. Talks. Rides another 2. Red flag.

Rarely do I see people pounding it out on practice day and if they are someone bitching at them that they're too aggressive.

I'd love longer motos. I don't race moto as much anymore, if at all, for that exact reason. I do like to hang out at the track and everything, but I'd much rather be actually riding/racing. So I've moved on to HS and GP's. Tons of seat time, challenging, and loads of fun. That stuff isn't for everyone though. I sure would like a couple races per year with long motos and very limited classes. I know Big Game sort of tried this last year, but I'm pretty sure it rained and I think it was only a one moto format. Gotta be two motos.

Ha. Practice days are full because people can't ride hard for 4 laps. Crute goes out for 3. Stops. Talks. Rides another 3. Stops. Talks. Rides another 2. Red flag.

Rarely do I see people pounding it out on practice day and if they are someone bitching at them that they're too aggressive.

lol mostly, but really...what am i training for? what do i need to do 20 or 30 min motos for? i put myself at a much higher risk when im out there trying to ride fast past 5-6 ish laps. i know thats how you get better and every now and then i do stick it out for a 10 to 15 lapper during practice... but i have fun riding fast (well, fast per my norm). i dont have fun jsut about wadding it up because im tried but still trying to go the same speed.

I understand its business and I want the tracks to make money so they stay open, but I also care about the sport and the local guys that do want to not only make it to LL but stand on the box. Heck, I would gladly pay $35 per class if you get a couple 15 min moto's.
Really this all stems from this past weekend. My son is still pretty slow but having fun at RACES. He tries hard and is learning when he has someone behind him pushing. During practice it is painful to watch cause he is barely moving cause he has nothing to go faster for. If we only go to races he will never get enough seat time to get anywhere near fast. If we only practice then he has no reason to go fast. This, in a nut shell is how I see a lot the local racers. A few have the speed but fade before halfway at a big race. Many others lack the speed to even compete.
I want to go to places like Malvern and TV Land to support Jason and Trevor, but I just can not justify driving for 4 hours and getting 4 laps. Not to mention (but I guess I am) the Fauser kid is a rocket and would easily lap him, so he would get 3 laps. That would make for one long drive home.
Yes, my son wants to win a trophy, but he wants to earn it in a real class. Not 65, D, one ear donkey, born on a Tuesday class. Kill the extra classes. Get race time, get fast and win a trophy. Seems simple.

Practice days are more popular now BECAUSE THEY EXIST.

Back in the 80's and early 90's the only place doing prepped open practice around me was Smith Road Wednesday nights. Then Apple Cabin started up on Thursdays. Weekends, nothing. You had to go to races or go ride on unprepped tracks.

I remember spending many a weekend riding on the baked concrete at Meadowlarks. Going to the races was a luxury in that all the dirt was prepped and nice. Now, it's an expectation.

Last edited:
Practice days are more popular now BECAUSE THEY EXIST.

Back in the 80's and early 90's the only place doing prepped open practice around me was Smith Road Wednesday nights. Then Apple Cabin started up on Thursdays. Weekends, nothing. You had to go to races or go ride on unprepped tracks.
Man, you are correct on that one. I NEVER got a single practice on a prepped track. EVER. Come to think of it, I never got a practice on a race track. Only place I ever rode was at friends houses. Helped that Steele and Kramer's tracks were only 15 min from home. No wonder guys don't race. The practice days are groomed better them most of my race days. Still, I hate practice.

Knox - Stop making this a economics lesson. You are too wrapped up in dollar per lap figure. Your son is not going to be held back by a lack of laps or a lack of competition, he will be held back because you feel that your riding options are not financially worth him getting better. Take your son racing or riding, or find a private track to help him along. Take him riding at Wayne. Take him riding. Ride ride ride. Ride. Until you've done it, and are doing it to the fullest potential, how can you argue that the system is broken?

I am trying to let him ride as must as possible. At this point any seat time is good. But he needs a lot of time. I have no problem supporting him no matter the cost per lap. But laps he needs.
Its kinda two birds with one stone. He needs time to get better and local riders need race time to be competitive. Just watch this weekend at the regional. How many Ohio kids make it. That number will be very small.
I am not arguing that the system is broken. I have seen the pieces. It is shattered.
Do some races have big numbers? Yes, but even those numbers are starting to drop. By the looks of the number of riders at East Fork this weekend, I am not the only one that can not justify a 4 hour drive for the track time. Heck, 100 guys watched the dirt dry for over 2 hours to ride Monday. If it sprinkles on a Wednesday people will not lay down the $ on a Sunday for the fear of mud. Pour the night before and morning of open practice, people say "oh well it is only $25"
Dueling subjects I guess. But they are linked if you ask me.

Another thing I hear: pw50 we want to practice. And we want our own practice. Blah blah.

When I raced 50s no practicing. You just raced. 50-65 is a time in the life you should just be racing and building your foundation as a rider. Not bitching and demanding track time in open practice day. Now I know someone whose a pw50 parent just puked in their mouth or threw the keyboard at the wall. Good. I hope the keyboards broke. Or maybe I hope you're filing a SquareTrade claim. Nevertheless, TAKE YOUR KID RACING EVERY WEEKEND until he's haulin the Mail on a 65 or 85 and isn't a danger to open practice format. And for all those "yea we will see when you have kids blah blah" yes we will, but by then you'll be sandbagging C class. And won't realize my kid and I will just be racing and tearing my yard up. Well maybe not. The Fiance has me on a baby schedule. Marriage in October. Babies 12 months from that day. Look out P dub. Or barbies. Either way I'm excited. So...2020 pw50 with 740 on the gate. God willing.

Wasn't bagging on you. Just describing the new rider of today.

oh i know, was just explaining as i think a lot of people are probably in the same boat. i kind of feel the same about split practice sessions that are 20 min.. (too long for most ppl imo to ride to their potential)

it would be cool to have longer motos but thats just more ppl that would pass me :( lol im decent at starts, not so much the rest of the motocross thing.

Back