7 minute moto. If your lucky or slow

I put in 3, 5 lap motos at smith tonight. Ran each right around the 7 minute mark. You guys bitching on here about longer motos won't ever make it nor is it a smart choice for local events because 80% of the riders there can't either and you just increase the risk of someone getting hurt.

10 minute motos turn into 15 minute total motos by the time everyone is off the track. That means you're only running 4 races per hour. Lets say you have 15 classes that fall into the "10 minute" catagory, that means, roughly you're going to take 4 houra to run those first set of motos plus your little guys that might eat up another 2 hours. So by the time you run a second moto and your little guys again you are looking at a 12 hour day assuming nothing goes wrong. Sounds realistic right?

Where's my god damn expert stamp @GeorgiePorgie ??

I put in 3, 5 lap motos at smith tonight. Ran each right around the 7 minute mark. You guys bitching on here about longer motos won't ever make it nor is it a smart choice for local events because 80% of the riders there can't either and you just increase the risk of someone getting hurt.

10 minute motos turn into 15 minute total motos by the time everyone is off the track. That means you're only running 4 races per hour. Lets say you have 15 classes that fall into the "10 minute" catagory, that means, roughly you're going to take 4 houra to run those first set of motos plus your little guys that might eat up another 2 hours. So by the time you run a second moto and your little guys again you are looking at a 12 hour day assuming nothing goes wrong. Sounds realistic right?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Apple cabin and smith are great places to take a pw50 rider. Because.....Wait for it--they have a little track for them. Wednesday night at Malvern probably isn't the most fitting arena for the super small guys

True but after the first few month so those tracks become far to easy. Then what? Keep them down by restricting them to racing small tracks until when?

Haha..... 3- 5 lap motos? Thats barely a warm up. One of the great things about smith rd is being able to put in my 20-30 min motos. Usually 3 -4 of them depending on the night. The point being made before was by reducing the number of classes the gates would be larger and the day could remain about the same with longer motos. Either way Im racing. If you are refering to me bitching and not being able to do a 10 min moto you're barking up the wrong tree.

And on top of that I dont see anyone bitching, I see people expressing their thoughts and ideas. Its time people understand the difference. And its time people stop complaining about other peoples ideas and opinions. What a boring world it would be without them.

Less then a third of AMA Motocross participation in our country (actual riders) take part in the LL's program. That's not a opinion. That's a fact. Ohio is the 7th largest state in the country for Motocross participation. That's a fact. Here's the ranking by participation of racers...
1. California
2. Michigan
3. New York
4. Texas
5. Illinois
6. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. Indiana
9. Colorado
10. Minnesota

Sounds like Ohio is doing good in the Motocross department. Most racers just want to show up to their local, grassroots events and have a good time.

I'm kind of burnt out on this racing vs. practicing argument... more tracks equal more participation which means more money within the sport. Whether a guy races a qualifier or rides in a field. We should accept our fellow RIDERS and appreciate all that take part. No matter where they choose to ride or type of riding.

I'm curious where this list came from. Is it AMA members? Race participation? A guess? If it's accurate it answers some questions like why is Michigan such a powerhouse right now in motocross.

I've had this theory that Ohio had tapered down on the national scale because of dilution of the sport by other states who used to have weak participation, but now are much stronger.

Michigan is churning them out like they did in the 80's. The economy in Ohio is good compared to the national average and Michigan. Maybe Ohioans just don't take racing as serious as they used to.

As far as the length of motos, I don't think it has any effect at all on Ohio's ability to compete at LL's. Too many other factors, I think it's mostly a simple numbers game of participation. The more riders you have the more chances of exceptional kids coming along.

i ran a moto tonight at smith and thought for sure i was at like 20 min.. NOPE just barley got over 16 and was done for... need less dairy queen.

Thought that was you out there, think I caught you at the end of your moto through the rollers in the back on the yami two stroke. New husky looks good. I'm right there with you on the DQ.

True but after the first few month so those tracks become far to easy. Then what? Keep them down by restricting them to racing small tracks until when?

Haha..... 3- 5 lap motos? Thats barely a warm up. One of the great things about smith rd is being able to put in my 20-30 min motos. Usually 3 -4 of them depending on the night. The point being made before was by reducing the number of classes the gates would be larger and the day could remain about the same with longer motos. Either way Im racing. If you are refering to me bitching and not being able to do a 10 min moto you're barking up the wrong tree.

And on top of that I dont see anyone bitching, I see people expressing their thoughts and ideas. Its time people understand the difference. And its time people stop complaining about other peoples ideas and opinions. What a boring world it would be without them.

Delusional is the only word that comes to mind.....20-30 minute moto are possible for me too when I'm just rolling around. Race pace, I'm good for 5-6 laps. Good on you though, let me know what # I need to cheer on at Redbud!

I'm curious where this list came from. Is it AMA members? Race participation? A guess? If it's accurate it answers some questions like why is Michigan such a powerhouse right now in motocross.

I've had this theory that Ohio had tapered down on the national scale because of dilution of the sport by other states who used to have weak participation, but now are much stronger.

Michigan is churning them out like they did in the 80's. The economy in Ohio is good compared to the national average and Michigan. Maybe Ohioans just don't take racing as serious as they used to.

As far as the length of motos, I don't think it has any effect at all on Ohio's ability to compete at LL's. Too many other factors, I think it's mostly a simple numbers game of participation. The more riders you have the more chances of exceptional kids coming along.

Alex and I have talked about this before, and correct me if I'm wrong Alex, but I think that every AMA member is assigned a category, like Road, Mx, Flat Track etc....or something like that, so they can see the divisions in the membership population. I think what he is saying that just within the motocross membership group, that 1/3 of the members participate in LL. Sounds like the LL program is just as much of a turnoff to the average guy as 15 minute motos........

At this pace I could see a 20 minute moto:

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=45&pc=45&e=16&rn=1&rt=M

Behold the power of laptimes! I might be changing my mind on these transponders.

Delusional is the only word that comes to mind.....20-30 minute moto are possible for me too when I'm just rolling around. Race pace, I'm good for 5-6 laps. Good on you though, let me know what # I need to cheer on at Redbud!

By far Im not the fastest guy out there but I hold my own. But Im also not delusional, ask those that know me. Its usually the only strong point in my program Lol. I started out in my riding career racing hare scrambles, try one some time.

At this pace I could see a 20 minute moto:

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=45&pc=45&e=16&rn=1&rt=M

Behold the power of laptimes! I might be changing my mind on these transponders.

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=55&e=16&rn=2&rt=M

And what about your pace smart ass? Looks like you got owned by a woman!

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=45&e=16&rn=2&rt=M

I love transponders, I dropped 6 secs a lap in the 2nd moto compared to moto 1. Nice to notice too that my last laps are always the fastest ones. Like I said, 4 laps is the warm up. What this doesnt show is the bad start I had in moto 2 and the 4 people I passed the first lap. Im not Trevor Vines pace by any stretch but again, I hold my own but most importantly I have an absolute blast doing it. Moto 2 was one of the funnest races Ive had this year!!!!

In conclusion, Im racing if its 4 laps or 20 min motos. I prefer the longer ones but Im down for all of it. And be sure to read in as much sarcasm, smiling, laughing and joking as you can in this post, Im not an a*****e, Im a smart ass who loves to joke around a lot.

I am old and out of shape and would be OK with 10 min plus one lap. it would be 6 laps at malvern. the transponders show that my last lap is damn near as good as my first lap. So I think your crazy when you say people can't do more than 4 laps. sure I am tired, but you should be at the end of a moto.

At my slow pace I barley hit 7 min. so imagine a fast guys time on track.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Thought that was you out there, think I caught you at the end of your moto through the rollers in the back on the yami two stroke. New husky looks good. I'm right there with you on the DQ.

Yep, I was spent! You were rippin though, and thanks!

12 min + 1 lap. It can be done EASY. Pick a class (or 2) and race. Don't see your made up crap class? Pick a real one.
upload_2016-6-2_8-51-39.png

Everyone is done and on their way home by 5.

By far Im not the fastest guy out there but I hold my own. But Im also not delusional, ask those that know me. Its usually the only strong point in my program Lol. I started out in my riding career racing hare scrambles, try one some time.

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=55&e=16&rn=2&rt=M

And what about your pace smart ass? Looks like you got owned by a woman!

http://battleforohio.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=2&c=45&e=16&rn=2&rt=M

I love transponders, I dropped 6 secs a lap in the 2nd moto compared to moto 1. Nice to notice too that my last laps are always the fastest ones. Like I said, 4 laps is the warm up. What this doesnt show is the bad start I had in moto 2 and the 4 people I passed the first lap. Im not Trevor Vines pace by any stretch but again, I hold my own but most importantly I have an absolute blast doing it. Moto 2 was one of the funnest races Ive had this year!!!!

In conclusion, Im racing if its 4 laps or 20 min motos. I prefer the longer ones but Im down for all of it. And be sure to read in as much sarcasm, smiling, laughing and joking as you can in this post, Im not an a*****e, Im a smart ass who loves to joke around a lot.

That's the difference, I'm not pacing, I'm going as hard as I can. I'm not trying to save back to run 15-20 minutes. My lap times show that's all I had, I'm fat and out of shape, yes. I'm not saying I'm fast. My point is that if Im this far out of shape on a quad, and we are running your times or faster, then you aren't pushing......or maybe you are! ha ha!

AND BTW your whole class couldn't catch Michelle. Except Trevor, they seem like they were running similar times, she just got quicker each lap.

Last edited:
If we back the truck up just a little bit, let's think bigger picture on some of this stuff. First, Loretta Lynn's has room for 42 riders on the gate in any class, which by all accounts is less than 1 per state in the USA. Add a few Canadians, a few other places (Like Ernesto Fonseca, or Martin Davalos, or whoever is the hot rich foreign prospect that can afford to come here and race) and you have less than 1 rider per state available on the line. And of course you have strong MX states that have a lot of really good riders which take away from other states, but let's stay on track here. Basically you have to be the best in your entire state to have a chance to make it, meaning that locally, you are killing it, and no one is happy when you show up because you are going to win. When you get to that level, you start looking for other places to race, so you have someone to race with. It's a vicious circle of the fastest getting faster, and the others falling behind. The best thing is to ride with someone that pushes you and has the speed to be a Loretta Lynn's type rider, and if we can get more of those home grown riders like that, more will be from Ohio. But the MX Compounds, home schooled kids are taking that away from the local riding buddies that push each other to the limit all the time like when Knox was a kid. The original Pitracer Posse was a group of Vets that rode and raced together in order to qualify for Loretta Lynn's each year. We practiced together, timed our practice motos for long motos to be ready for Loretta Lynn's 20 minute scorchers, and pushed each other hard in order to get better and qualify each year. We went to the same races together (outside of Ohio because of the need for faster competition) and pushed each other all the time. At the races, we cheered each other on, helped work on each other's bikes, and were our own little compound of Ohio guys racing together and trying to make it at Loretta Lynns. It was great fun, lots of riding and racing, and we all got better and pushed each other. We made it fun too, since we were all Vet Ages from 25 - 40 something, we made it fun by riding the +25 class together and having the DQ challenge in our group. We raced the first moto, split into teams with fastest and slowest paired up, and added total second moto scores for the champion of the day. Losers bought DQ for the winners on the way home. And you didn't want to lose due to the ribbing that you took from the other team for the next week about the DQ that you won.

Pushing each other like that is what Knox wants, but it's hard to come by. Everyone has to be on the same page and willing to go along and ride together, help each other, and get to be better racers. We did this for a few years and some of the stories we have are the best memories from riding that I have. I went from an OK CRA racer when we started hanging out, to a regular qualifier for Loretta Lynn's on a yearly basis after a few years of hanging with this group of friends. My riding / racing improved drastically over the mid to late 90's and this was done with the help of my riding buddies that were all from greater Cleveland area. We spent those years at first getting our butts kicked over in D-5 in Western PA, and improving our riding to where the PA boys were bummed when we all showed up at their races because that meant the there was going to be a battle in the Vet Classes. The kids need parents that will help each other out and not just be all about themselves only, and work on getting to the best racing possible from the Ohio racers.

If we back the truck up just a little bit, let's think bigger picture on some of this stuff. First, Loretta Lynn's has room for 42 riders on the gate in any class, which by all accounts is less than 1 per state in the USA. Add a few Canadians, a few other places (Like Ernesto Fonseca, or Martin Davalos, or whoever is the hot rich foreign prospect that can afford to come here and race) and you have less than 1 rider per state available on the line. And of course you have strong MX states that have a lot of really good riders which take away from other states, but let's stay on track here. Basically you have to be the best in your entire state to have a chance to make it, meaning that locally, you are killing it, and no one is happy when you show up because you are going to win. When you get to that level, you start looking for other places to race, so you have someone to race with. It's a vicious circle of the fastest getting faster, and the others falling behind. The best thing is to ride with someone that pushes you and has the speed to be a Loretta Lynn's type rider, and if we can get more of those home grown riders like that, more will be from Ohio. But the MX Compounds, home schooled kids are taking that away from the local riding buddies that push each other to the limit all the time like when Knox was a kid. The original Pitracer Posse was a group of Vets that rode and raced together in order to qualify for Loretta Lynn's each year. We practiced together, timed our practice motos for long motos to be ready for Loretta Lynn's 20 minute scorchers, and pushed each other hard in order to get better and qualify each year. We went to the same races together (outside of Ohio because of the need for faster competition) and pushed each other all the time. At the races, we cheered each other on, helped work on each other's bikes, and were our own little compound of Ohio guys racing together and trying to make it at Loretta Lynns. It was great fun, lots of riding and racing, and we all got better and pushed each other. We made it fun too, since we were all Vet Ages from 25 - 40 something, we made it fun by riding the +25 class together and having the DQ challenge in our group. We raced the first moto, split into teams with fastest and slowest paired up, and added total second moto scores for the champion of the day. Losers bought DQ for the winners on the way home. And you didn't want to lose due to the ribbing that you took from the other team for the next week about the DQ that you won.

Pushing each other like that is what Knox wants, but it's hard to come by. Everyone has to be on the same page and willing to go along and ride together, help each other, and get to be better racers. We did this for a few years and some of the stories we have are the best memories from riding that I have. I went from an OK CRA racer when we started hanging out, to a regular qualifier for Loretta Lynn's on a yearly basis after a few years of hanging with this group of friends. My riding / racing improved drastically over the mid to late 90's and this was done with the help of my riding buddies that were all from greater Cleveland area. We spent those years at first getting our butts kicked over in D-5 in Western PA, and improving our riding to where the PA boys were bummed when we all showed up at their races because that meant the there was going to be a battle in the Vet Classes. The kids need parents that will help each other out and not just be all about themselves only, and work on getting to the best racing possible from the Ohio racers.
As a Non-Epert, I think you are dead nuts on!!!! A big reason my son has improved so much is by riding a lot but also chasing Trevor Maley around the track for the last couple years. And, yes we do some traveling with him and his dad as well as others through out the year, its the only way, I can afford to keep my son on the seat.

Last edited:
That's the difference, I'm not pacing, I'm going as hard as I can. I'm not trying to save back to run 15-20 minutes. My lap times show that's all I had, I'm fat and out of shape, yes. I'm not saying I'm fast. My point is that if Im this far out of shape on a quad, and we are running your times or faster, then you aren't pushing......or maybe you are! ha ha!

AND BTW your whole class couldn't catch Michelle. Except Trevor, they seem like they were running similar times, she just got quicker each lap.

Haha, I was pushing. Thats how my lap times dropped. Your link proved my point, you're out of shape and Im in shape. Lets see your lap times on the sunday track all rough and rutted and not polished smooth. You guys wouldnt run as good on our track any more than us running fast on your smooth one. Apples and Oranges. Or in your case GAY vs my straight!!

And Robin is right, thats why I have been trying to get a group of pw50 kids at my house each week. We had 7 50cc riders here tues practicing and its been working great. All the kids that have been coming regularly are stepping up their game greatly!!

I have plenty of rutted track experience, and I know how you really feel about the ruts (insert chicken s**t voice over guy here)......as soon as I get half way in shape, lets line em up. Im pretty sure I could run a few laps below 1:40 once I get moving later this season, even on the (use horror movie sounds here) rutted track!! Oh the humanity.

Back