7 minute moto. If your lucky or slow

How many guys from Ohio make it to LL is not a measure of whether the system is broken or not. That's crazy to think that's the measuring stick.

Another thing I hear: pw50 we want to practice. And we want our own practice. Blah blah.

When I raced 50s no practicing. You just raced. 50-65 is a time in the life you should just be racing and building your foundation as a rider. Not bitching and demanding track time in open practice day. Now I know someone whose a pw50 parent just puked in their mouth or threw the keyboard at the wall. Good. I hope the keyboards broke. Or maybe I hope you're filing a SquareTrade claim. Nevertheless, TAKE YOUR KID RACING EVERY WEEKEND until he's haulin the Mail on a 65 or 85 and isn't a danger to open practice format. And for all those "yea we will see when you have kids blah blah" yes we will, but by then you'll be sandbagging C class. And won't realize my kid and I will just be racing and tearing my yard up. Well maybe not. The Fiance has me on a baby schedule. Marriage in October. Babies 12 months from that day. Look out P dub. Or barbies. Either way I'm excited. So...2020 pw50 with 740 on the gate. God willing.

I know your not talking about me!! So who?

Austin races anytime I can get him to a track, Otherwise we practice at Malvern, Smith rd and Apple Cabin and once a week at home on our track with other kids. Last night we had 7 50cc kids practicing corners here. Club PW in full force.

How many guys from Ohio make it to LL is not a measure of whether the system is broken or not. That's crazy to think that's the measuring stick.

Why is that? I see that as a viable test of racing ability to be compared to other states. Of course, Knox being a numbers guy Im sure he would break it down into a percentage of those trying from each state to those who made it from each state. That would be a true measurement.

Why? That is the one thing that is consistent over the years. Kids like Mitchy and Fauser are the exception rather then the rule for our area. If that is not the measure then what is?
Btw. Promoters all say they hate dealing with 3 groups. 50's. Vets and A riders. Ironic that those 3 groups put more on the line at LL then all other combined. Wonder why?

ok, expert decision of the day. 10 min plus one lap would be the perfect amount of track time for local MX. Now someone do the math on how many classes need to go to make it work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Kids like Mitchy and Fauser are the exception rather then the rule for our area. If that is not the measure then what is?

Dude, those are the exceptions for any area. How many kids like that are around in total?? Bad argument there.

Once again, I am shaking my head or just truly confused. We have it great in Ohio (at least NE Oh). If you want seat time go to practice tracks they are open through the week and on the weekends. If you want to compete go to a race over the weekend. We have both at our disposal and there is still bitching or whining or what ever we want to call it. As far as, pw50's go and based on how most of them ride why can't they get seat time at your house, or grandpa's farm or some trails somewhere. I believe that as long as their on that seat, it's all good. s**t, call Hershey and go to his house and ride, he has a great track. ;) Ya, it might be a haul but he has a big house and an RV, I am sure he could put you up somewhere, spend the weekend there. If he can't help you out than he really is DHDS01. The only thing that I think has any relevant's is doing the so many minutes per moto, other wise choose race days, practice days, grandpa days, friend days or trail days. Easy peasy!!!!

Well adding 10 minute motos is not going to make Ohio a powerhouse for LL. The southern training camps and winter training in the south is far too important now. The sport has elevated from a mom and pop pickup truck sport to a toterhome/I got way too much cash sport at the LL level. What you need is 40 acres under 1 roof that has the heat on 150° all winter, and Mrs. Carmichael on staff. Good luck. But make no mistake, letting everyone run 1 more lap per moto will not automatically increase their skill set, or add the cash necessary to bring Ohio back to 1985 success levels. Dream on.

Just watch this weekend at the regional. How many Ohio kids make it. That number will be very small.

Yes it will be very small.. But remember, outside of the West Coast riders IMO it is like a mini LL except in some classes there will be 70+ riders and you have to qualify for the gate spot. You have riders ranging from Key West, FL to MA & Texas and all the states in between coming to Red Bud this weekend..So there will be some FAST ass riders from not only Ohio but the Mid East that won't crack that top 6 this weekend..Doesn't mean they won't get their ticket in the next few weeks! Good Luck Ohio Boys.
Now if you want to talk about why the small number of mini riders from Ohio are not making it period; that is a whole different story!

Dude, those are the exceptions for any area. How many kids like that are around in total?? Bad argument there.
It use to not be the exception, riders like them were the rule. It's not an option either. Look at the results in the vault. Nearly every class had area kids in the top 10. Now, if you subtract a handful of talented area kids there is none even in the top 20. Sure places like MTF have pulled some south but it is not hurting other states. Heck, more kids make if from Minnesota now then ever. And what is there riding season? 3 weeks?
NE Ohio does have a wealth of practice tracks (your lucky) but here in the south we have one track with weekday riding. And it's an hour from me.
Yes, moto in Ohio is in a great place right now and I am not trying to mess with that. I just want to see more Mitchy's. Will my son be at that level. I doubt it but more race time is the ONLY thing that elevate more kids to that level. 7 minutes, just will not do it.

Less then a third of AMA Motocross participation in our country (actual riders) take part in the LL's program. That's not a opinion. That's a fact. Ohio is the 7th largest state in the country for Motocross participation. That's a fact. Here's the ranking by participation of racers...
1. California
2. Michigan
3. New York
4. Texas
5. Illinois
6. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. Indiana
9. Colorado
10. Minnesota

Sounds like Ohio is doing good in the Motocross department. Most racers just want to show up to their local, grassroots events and have a good time.

I'm kind of burnt out on this racing vs. practicing argument... more tracks equal more participation which means more money within the sport. Whether a guy races a qualifier or rides in a field. We should accept our fellow RIDERS and appreciate all that take part. No matter where they choose to ride or type of riding.

Less then a third of AMA Motocross participation in our country (actual riders) take part in the LL's program. That's not a opinion. That's a fact. Ohio is the 7th largest state in the country for Motocross participation. That's a fact. Here's the ranking by participation of racers...
1. California
2. Michigan
3. New York
4. Texas
5. Illinois
6. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. Indiana
9. Colorado
10. Minnesota

Sounds like Ohio is doing good in the Motocross department. Most racers just want to show up to their local, grassroots events and have a good time.

I'm kind of burnt out on this racing vs. practicing argument... more tracks equal more participation which means more money within the sport. Whether a guy races a qualifier or rides in a field. We should accept our fellow RIDERS and appreciate all that take part. No matter where they choose to ride or type of riding.
Pretty sure your list is missing Florida and Georgia. Half the field list Cairo Ga as home

It use to not be the exception, riders like them were the rule. It's not an option either. Look at the results in the vault. Nearly every class had area kids in the top 10. Now, if you subtract a handful of talented area kids there is none even in the top 20. Sure places like MTF have pulled some south but it is not hurting other states. Heck, more kids make if from Minnesota now then ever. And what is there riding season? 3 weeks?
NE Ohio does have a wealth of practice tracks (your lucky) but here in the south we have one track with weekday riding. And it's an hour from me.
Yes, moto in Ohio is in a great place right now and I am not trying to mess with that. I just want to see more Mitchy's. Will my son be at that level. I doubt it but more race time is the ONLY thing that elevate more kids to that level. 7 minutes, just will not do it.

Everyone would like to see more Mitchy's and wants their kid to be a Mitchy; he is an awesome rider. Out of the top 25-30 kids in the 65 class right now, Mitchy is 1 of 3 or 4 that goes to school everyday in that list! All the others are home schooled (and ride almost daily) and most live in compounds. Not only that, The Zfamily is committed. Zman did about 45k Miles on his sprinter in one year on Weekends riding and racing last year...!!! I'm not sure I know of to many other families with that commitment level that live in Ohio...

1. California
2. Michigan
3. New York
4. Texas
5. Illinois
6. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. Indiana
9. Colorado
10. Minnesota

I don't think this was a thread to compare practice and racing. If I read I right it's about getting more seat time per moto. Everyone has a different view and that's great. Personally I'd love to see 15 min motos but that's not going to happen. But 10 min motos are possible but not probable. I love long motos mostly when there bigger gates for good battles. I'm happy to race as much as I can though.....and I'm glad that the OMA is doing an even better job with tracks and events.

The numbers were down a little for the malvern round of the battle but hopefully they rebound for the next 2 rounds. I'm excited as hell.

Last edited:
Are Alex's numbers AMA numbers? Or is participation in other states that are not am a sanction those numbers not included?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Have to have a class for everyone , so everyone gets an award. Even the vet guys! Come on! 4or6 65 classes, 4 or 6 50 classes, c,d, WTF

Apple cabin and smith are great places to take a pw50 rider. Because.....Wait for it--they have a little track for them. Wednesday night at Malvern probably isn't the most fitting arena for the super small guys

Back