Should we hit the emergency button??

Every winter we see a lot of new family's that have never been to a track. In my opinion the bigger the event the more intimidating it is.

Many decent comments in this thread and an interesting topic. A few thoughts and unfortunately a longish post.

Can we use the good data analysis from the experts to slice in some new ways.
  • How many of those new to track families never enter a race?
  • How many of the 2016 race entries were first ever race entries and what classes are the beginners entering?
  • How many were returners that did not enter a race in 2015? What are their ages and what classes did they enter?
  • How many young kids started and have a dad that wasn't a racer or isn't also entered in a class?
  • How many were C and D riders that have not moved up in classes for years?
In addition to meeting the needs of the core racing customer base, it seems that to grow track owners and promoters should be targeting both first time racers and bringing back racers that have stopped for what ever reason. Fewer classes, longer motos, stomping on sandbaggers, or eliminating close proximity track scheduling conflicts will make the core racers happier (customer satisfaction and retention) and might have limited growth benefits, but likely won't grow the participation base to keep from hitting the emergency button.

Some strategic marketing homework and then promotion could help here. What is the Total Addressable Market (TAM) of potential racers? What is a reasonable Serviceable Addressable Market (SAM) that is the subset of the TAM? What are the most attractive market segments, size them, and promote to motivate the attractive segments to spend money with you. Lot's of good business guys on this site that will have ideas.

Some potential segments
  • First Timers
  • Returners
  • Diehard core racers
  • Experts
  • Sandbagging trophy hounds
AMA - what are you doing to promote grass roots growth of Motocross? What promotions, programs, coordination is going on with manufactures and tracks? How can a kid go to a Supercross race, watch the little KTMS run, and see a path to trying out the sport. Does someone have the job title to work on ideas? How much marketing money is the AMA spending?

What are the biggest barriers to trying motocross the way a kid might try baseball, soccer, swimming, martial arts, or piano?

Barriers
  • No bike or equipment
  • Lack of awareness of opportunities and track promotions
  • No easy and well defined "get started racing program" - Don't event know where to start and lack of knowledge
  • Intimidating
  • Parents with no motorcycle or racing background
  • Expense
  • Safety
I think is it harder than ever for kids to be beginners at anything - especially if they start at 10 or 11 instead of 4. Try to imagine being 15 and wanting to "try" motocross for the first time. We are in the age of early kid specialization.

What is the total customer experience - especially from the eyes of the novice racer or racing parent?

What if a track started marketing and running a program for the true beginner? There are motocross camps and schools but most seem targeted at making a competent rider faster.

Maybe something similar, but of course not on the same scale, as how the Red Cross runs swim lessons or how a Karate School runs a black belt program. Create a defined and measurable progression to becoming a first time racer.

Briarcliff "My First Race" summer program - make sure the program is working and then spread/franchise to other tracks in subsequent years. Package the program up in a sexy, fun, easy, and friendly way to attract new families and demystify the sport so it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

The program:
  • 1 day a week on the beginner track when it is not open for anything else (during the months May-Sept) from 6-8:00 PM (an 8 week program). Have local shops promote with every new bike purchase.
  • 1st session is to group the kids by age and ability and then get started riding that day - might even be in a field for some and not on the track (organized, fast paced, and lots of riding to keep interest) - just like a swim lesson with guppies, minnows, and sharks - come up with clever, progressing classification names (not A,B,C,D) - Little rockets, jumping jammers, or Little Rickys, Dynamite Dungeys, or .... - I am sure there are more creative name "maker uppers" than me.
  • No trophies needed, but a certificate as they progress their skills or move up to the next level - parents love to see their kids are getting better for money the parent is spending - little successes mean a lot. I coached swim teams while I was in college, softball and baseball for 10 years, and my kid's high school swim teams. I think overall probably 1000 kids which means I saw all different kinds of parents - find somebody to run you program that knows how the different types of parents tick and can connect with them.
  • Let some of the young 17-23 year old A riders help teach and in exchange give them free track time after the 6:00-8:00 PM program sessions. The kids will identify with their teachers, love watching the big kids jump and go fast around the track. It will give them something exciting to talk about on the ride home and wanting to come back. Little kids love to see bigger cool kids give them attention, mentor them, and will perhaps want come spectate to watch their teachers during races. The young adult gets something in return (free track time, experience they can put on college or job applications, and having little kids look them like they are rock stars).
  • Perhaps have a couple of adults available during the camp to help with the bikes (troubleshooting, minor trackside repairs, maintenance tips)
  • Put content on your website, pamphlet, and/or hold a few seminars for the parents to help educate them on equipment, maintenance, safety, race etiquette, what to expect for a first race, gates, flags, etc. - spoon feed them. This sport does assume you know a lot about racing the first time you show up.
  • Run 1 exhibition moto for just these kids between motos at one of your bigger races (might take a couple of classes for age and bike size). Include the race entry in the program cost (a "real" race at the end of the program). Of course the parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. have to pay the spectator entrance fee. Give this race a set time so the parents know when to show up, stage well, walk them to the gate) After the race have an area for a grillout and final certificate/trophy (a graduation of sorts). The families can watch the racing also.
I think you could start this small scale and see if it works. I am sure it sounds like a lot of work but change takes a lot of work.

This might be a goofy idea but without something new and compelling I see that emergency button in the future.

Take my 2 kids 15 years ago - They grew up riding but never got near a track. If something like this would have been available, we would have tried it. How many dirt bikes are sold and never see a track. There just might be enough kids with bikes to make it worthwhile - back to the market analysis.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5375%3Enu%3D3242%3E566%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D46%3A968%3C%3B%3C8325nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu4%3A43%3Enu%3D3242%3E566%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D46%3A96%3A4335325nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7276%3Enu%3D3242%3E566%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D46%3A96%3A434%3B325nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A75%3B%3Enu%3D3242%3E566%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D46%3A96%3A4352325nu0mrj

I like the idea of a Hybrid schedule. Minis and 4 wheelers in the morning or something. Big bikes and vets in the afternoon. Something like this could definitely knock a few hours off how long people are at the track except for a handful of those with people or riders in both.

Thursday night motocross move up schedule. I think there are lots of good ideas OMA could pull from. Used at Portland International Raceway. Use the points system to move people up in class.

Attachments

• Thursday Night Motocross Move up.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 137
Im sorry, i couldnt read all that with my attention span. But i get it. My kid could take it or leave it at one point.

He got into the ktm kids challenge and is in love with the sport now...we cant get the ktm challenge team to come. I have a fleet of 70s for neighbor kids to ride.

Anyway I like woodys ideas of structure. Sheeple love structure and routine. I would show up 1 half hour before my moto. I rarly practice anyway. Practice is just a site lap for a familiar track.

Last edited:
Run 1 exhibition moto for just these kids between motos at one of your bigger races (might take a couple of classes for age and bike size). Include the race entry in the program cost (a "real" race at the end of the program). Of course the parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. have to pay the spectator entrance fee. Give this race a set time so the parents know when to show up, stage well, walk them to the gate) After the race have an area for a grillout and final certificate/trophy (a graduation of sorts). The families can watch the racing also.
At a battle or Chilly town race I would bring a couple CRF 70 s and gear....FYI

I can tell you MX is dead in my neck off the woods ( Fast Traxx, wildwood lake, fly, mason county, Reno) that is the reason we drive 2hrs when we want to race. There is one local guy that is trying to build it back up. He started a series called the mini champ series. What he has done has focused on the kids and family. I have attended a couple of them close to home to check out. What i seen was impressive. Now granted there was less than 100 bikes. They started practice at 10:00- 2 ten min. sessions then 2 five lap motos. classes are only for 50- 105 cc. they had 2 adult classes 250 and 450 for the racing dads. There was no drinking, no cussing and a few other family rules. They did not dig the track deep, no gap jumps a safe track for new kids on old bikes. The impressive part was who showed up local kids that want to have fun and working dads, moms, brothers, sisters and grandparents. There was nothing intimidating about showing up and racing. They scheduled the races on GP/HS days off that helped draw some of them kids. I have a feeling that some of them kids will be sticking it out in this sport, after all that is how we started out KX 60 in the back of a truck and we had a ball doing it.

I like the idea of a Hybrid schedule. Minis and 4 wheelers in the morning or something. Big bikes and vets in the afternoon. Something like this could definitely knock a few hours off how long people are at the track except for a handful of those with people or riders in both.
Amherst did this last year due to weather conditions at one race. We loved it....done racing by 12:00-1:00 I believe.

We did exactly that all last season . Bike s first ,practice then moto 1 and 2 all done by one or two then quad and little guy practice and their motors 1 and 2 . The quads and little guys didn't even have to show till after 1pm , and the quads never touch the bike prepped track at all ,each got two 10 minute practices and we ran 5 lap motors , we thought it would be the cats ass ! Well as the Donald would say. WRONG! Yes some people loved it but by far the riders fell off because of the following unforeseen reasons . People complained the races were going to fast , especially the ones that had kids running in other classes or were running more than one class . 5 lap motos when given the choices they mostly wanted 4 especially because the races were clicking off so fast , for the first time ever I had people asking for longer intermissions . If somebody had a problem with their bike they really didn't have a chance to fix it because the races were going so fast plus if they had kids running minis or quads and a parent running a bike they still have to stay there all day anyhow . Then something we never foresaw , when the bikes all hauled out of there and it was just the quads and the little guys , the place looks empty not much fun raceing in a big empty race facility with the majority of the spectators and other people gone . And then their Moto's right after practice and so forth really clicked off fast because there's not many classes and they didn't have any time if they had a breakdown plus a lot of these guys were friends with the bike guys and they missed the Visiting and hanging out with their buds at the races, it was a total disaster trust me it just doesn't work the only good thing was perfect track conditions for each Group . We had about 2 to 2 an a half minute lap times and if guys were back to back or even a moto or two apart it killed most of them . After all the work ,money and effort put into the season last year , I think the split format really killed it , was very disappointing for all involved .

Actually my wife and I agreed not to get him into motocross... not worth it... it's a money pit, you destroy your body for no reason... I'm not taking the chance of him ending up in a wheel chair or dead. I'm gonna build him a dirt jumper and him and I will shred rays mtb park. That's good enough for me nowadays

Really?? Hm.

Lost another generation of mx.

Not sure how kids grow up not racing. Just feels normal. Of course I've been fortunate to only have minor collarbone surgeries in 25 years of riding.

As far as money pit goes....ck1 proved you can be race ready in under $2000.

I think I've spent maybe $4500ish in the last 3 years on bike build and maintenance and I'm still super happy with my equipment. In 13 I bought a $6500 450. Sold it and used the cash to build my 144 dream machine.

Bicycles are just as expensive....lol

We did exactly that all last season . Bike s first ,practice then moto 1 and 2 all done by one or two then quad and little guy practice and their motors 1 and 2 . The quads and little guys didn't even have to show till after 1pm , and the quads never touch the bike prepped track at all ,each got two 10 minute practices and we ran 5 lap motors , we thought it would be the cats ass ! Well as the Donald would say. WRONG! Yes some people loved it but by far the riders fell off because of the following unforeseen reasons . People complained the races were going to fast , especially the ones that had kids running in other classes or were running more than one class . 5 lap motos when given the choices they mostly wanted 4 especially because the races were clicking off so fast , for the first time ever I had people asking for longer intermissions . If somebody had a problem with their bike they really didn't have a chance to fix it because the races were going so fast plus if they had kids running minis or quads and a parent running a bike they still have to stay there all day anyhow . Then something we never foresaw , when the bikes all hauled out of there and it was just the quads and the little guys , the place looks empty not much fun raceing in a big empty race facility with the majority of the spectators and other people gone . And then their Moto's right after practice and so forth really clicked off fast because there's not many classes and they didn't have any time if they had a breakdown plus a lot of these guys were friends with the bike guys and they missed the Visiting and hanging out with their buds at the races, it was a total disaster trust me it just doesn't work the only good thing was perfect track conditions for each Group . We had about 2 to 2 an a half minute lap times and if guys were back to back or even a moto or two apart it killed most of them . After all the work ,money and effort put into the season last year , I think the split format really killed it , was very disappointing for all involved .
The split schedule misses my point somewhat. With open practice's popularity you need to incorporate racing into more of a practice setting is what I was getting at.

I absolutely love how the battle format works for quads. I can practice all day if I like and the I know my motos will click off between 4 and 6 o'clock.

If I don't want to, or can't spend all day at the track I can roll in at 3 o'clock, race, and be on the road in a few hours.

This could work for bikes too if there weren't 800 classes (right Knox) or keep the classes and just go to a single moto with more laps?

I have never had friends or family see a 2nd moto, they have a life outside of moto. 125 and smaller in the morning, no track prep in between motos. Prep, start bigger bore, no track prep between motos. Pro classes have a set time (like at the ATV nationals). Easier to advertise to get spectators there for the big boys. I and others could help with track maintenance or flagging in the mornings or afternoon depending on your class. Happy New Year! Can't wait to wear my new Fashion Bug outfit tonight for party time.

Really?? Hm.

Not sure how kids grow up not racing. Just feels normal. Of course I've been fortunate to only have minor collarbone surgeries in 25 years of riding.

I think I've spent maybe $4500ish in the last 3 years on bike build and maintenance and I'm still super happy with my equipment. In 13 I bought a $6500 450. Sold it and used the cash to build my 144 dream machine.

Until you have a kid out there it's tough to understand how you could feel relieved about the idea of your kid not racing. I think being a racer yourself causes you to realize the danger. I think parents who didn't race are sometimes ignorant to it.

Really?? Hm.

It cost me $1,200 to build my dirt jumper, kids dirt jumper cost under $800 to build. Parts last longer. Him and I could ride rays for $40... it would cost us almost $300 to go racing for the day. He'll ride, but we agreed on no racing.

And yeah you've been very fortunate on your injuries... I've had broken femur, collar bone, clavicle, separated ac joint, ribs, ankles and countless concussions. You'll see me at the track next year playing around on my rm250 but I'll never line up behind a gate again until I'm fat and old

Actually my wife and I agreed not to get him into motocross... not worth it... it's a money pit, you destroy your body for no reason... I'm not taking the chance of him ending up in a wheel chair or dead. I'm gonna build him a dirt jumper and him and I will shred rays mtb park. That's good enough for me nowadays
Wow, how refreshing to have someone stand up for what he believes. I wish I had the balls that you do and would just tell my son its over, pick something else, but I don't!!!
Don't misunderstand me, I really like a lot of things about mx, actually most of it. However, the list is short of what I don't like but, very crucial, the "danger" (injuries) and the "real cost" if your kid wants to be truly competitive. The top local and national kids are great riders (and I say congratulations) but its because their parents or grandparents are spending a small fortune on this sport, to get them to this level. As far as, the danger, its a "real concern." There is not a time, that my kid throws his leg over the seat that I don't start to get incredibly anxious and nervous. I always consider it a successful day if we leave with no injuries.
Georgie, you know I respect your input but I think today things are very different, than even when, you raced. Yes, I know it wasn't that long ago but I think this sport is changing rapidly and that is a big reason why there is always a post about how to grow the sport, or is the sport dying. I know where you are today in your life with your job and new marriage but I believe you are doing it just for fun (which is great) not riding and racing 3 to 5 days a week. This is what we have been doing for the last couple years and its very time consuming, the bikes take a serious beating and things are constantly breaking and wearing out which again is why it becomes so expensive. As far as, Knox showing us a build can be done cheaply, I guess he did but, how many hours has he put on that rebuild, how many days a week is he riding, how is the bike holding up and is the bike truly up to the standard of being a Loretta's race ready bike? Sure, you don't have to go to Loretta's but when your kid makes up his mind he wants to make that a goal, you start heading in that direction. So, you end up buying your kid at a minimum one new bike (most have two bikes or more) and start driving all over Ohio to practice and race and some drive a lot farther than Ohio.
I don't want to list all the costs that go along with that but there seems to be a lot of burying your head in the sand, in MX. People don't want to talk about the danger of this sport and don't want to admit about how much they are spending or "have spent" on this sport. The only time anyone seems to be honest about the cost and danger is when they are leaving the sport and have now seen the light and want to tell you how dumb you are for spending all this time and money, on MX.
I have tried to expose my son and daughter to many sports, football, basketball, soccer, wrestling, baseball and now swimming but fortunately or unfortunately my son loves MX, the most. Also, how do you make it fair to you daughter when you are spending all this time and money on your son's hobby? Sure just give her $15,000 to $30,000 a year and all is good but I don't have that kind of money sitting around to make it equal and as far as time, its hard to duplicate myself or put more than 24 hours in a day. So, she gets the short end of the stick and I'm probably in the wrong for this!!!!
Listen, I have met some great people in this sport and had some great times and glad we have got involved in MX. But, he has 2.5 years until he graduates from HS and at that point, I hope he is still healthy and fully functional and heading off to college. At that time, mommy and daddy are done supporting his MX hobby and I hope that he, appreciates everything we have sacrificed and done for him.
You know there are probably a couple thousand reasons why people aren't getting into this sport but I think it can be broke down to just a few real reasons.
1. The cost
2. These days people just don't have the money to even consider MX, its not even on their radar
3. To do most school sports, they want you to specialize and dedicate yourself to that sport
4. Many people aren't willing to let their kid get involved in MX bc of the danger (people have told me this)
5. Its not a main stream sport and kids just aren't interested (at least my sons friends)
6. No college scholarships equals no interest. The school sports tie up most of these athletes.
Again, love the sport but if my son wanted to quit tomorrow, I would be fine with it.

Last edited:
When you're kid is 30 and asks you to go to the track with him (by then he will footing the bill, you'll just be spectating and packing the gate---wishing you were still footing the bill and that he was still 15) all that money spent over the years won't mean anything. That's just from a recent convo with my dad at the last battle race I attended.

I guess at the end of the day it's about balancing the checkbook with the racing. My dad worked a lot of overtime for us to race and I'm very thankful for it. My dad never chose racing over a house payment.

Once it gets to that point of missing house payments and racing on a credit card it has to be reconsidered.

My little brother doesn't race nearly as much as I do. It's not because of cost of mx more so than his costs of having fun. Kids want iPhones today, they want season passes to go skiing. Etc. All I wanted to do was ride. My brother wants to do everything. I chalk that up to YouTube videos. All I had was crusty demons of dirt. Made me wanna ride more. Now there's a stupid water bottle challenge ?! Flip the bottle. Ok...because of one viral video. When I was 17 I was day dreaming about corner speed and drawing dirtbike tracks in study hall....not flipping a bottle.

You're right the sport has changed since I was racing. It sheds perfect light today at the local scene in the 125 class. 29-45 year old guys are running top 5 in a kids class at the premier local race (any battle round)

There are still many fast amateur kids but not nearly as many as what Ohio Used to produce.

I guess the real question is how to save local racing. Forget about the national scheme. That has enough of a following. It's gonna be like nascar one day.

Back