Loretta Lynn Qualifier Schedule

Vet261

PR Addict
From 1985.........

20170104_090247.jpg

20170104_090317.jpg

Aaah the good ol'e days when you had to actually qualify at a qualifier and you had to pick ONE regional because they all ran on the same day (in this area). Now it is set-up for little Johnny to hit at least 3 different regionals.
That was the year of the super monsoon at the Ranch. It was cut down to only 2 moto's. I got 3rd in the first moto. Fell in the first turn in moto 2, Came back to 2nd but the scorers missed me one lap and had me as 18th. 9th overall. (Should have been 1st without the scoring problem)
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Aaah the good ol'e days when you had to actually qualify at a qualifier and you had to pick ONE regional because they all ran on the same day (in this area). Now it is set-up for little Johnny to hit at least 3 different regionals.
So now you can hit 3 different one's ....what's the issue?

So now you can hit 3 different one's ....what's the issue?
The issue is if you cant make it from your home regional, you don't deserve to go. You crash...ahhhh too bad, try next year.

Want a promotion at work this year? Did you do better then the people you are competing against? No...well that's OK, here is another easier task. You do that just good enough, we will reward you... Life does not work like that. Better to teach kids while they are young.

Making it to the race should not be the goal. You compete to WIN. Now they give out the pathetic "admit one" plaques at the regionals... Come on man... If you are happy with a participation award then just get you bib at the ranch and go home. Save the frontrunners the trouble of dodging you as you get lapped.

Im back BABY... sometimes the truth stings a little. After a while you may start to like and accept it.

The issue is if you cant make it from your home regional, you don't deserve to go. You crash...ahhhh too bad, try next year.

Want a promotion at work this year? Did you do better then the people you are competing against? No...well that's OK, here is another easier task. You do that just good enough, we will reward you... Life does not work like that. Better to teach kids while they are young.

Making it to the race should not be the goal. You compete to WIN. Now they give out the pathetic "admit one" plaques at the regionals... Come on man... If you are happy with a participation award then just get you bib at the ranch and go home. Save the frontrunners the trouble of dodging you as you get lapped.

Im back BABY... sometimes the truth stings a little. After a while you may start to like and accept it.

Bla, Bla Bla....I still don't see the issue.

Give me reason why the old way was better or the new way is broken?

Really? You don't see it? I gave you the BEST reason. If you cant make it in your home region, then you are NOT national caliber. Take another "amateur" sport (s) the Olympics. If you get 4th and lose by 0.001 seconds, You don't make it. Try again in 4 years. Its not "well you slipped of the start so we will run another trial next week in another state, maybe you will get in there." Its you lost. Your not good enough all around. That includes the start. Try again in 4 years.
The sporting world already had the lovable loser in "Eddie the Eagle". We don't need another crappy movie with that hack Hugh Jackman

1985 when Malvern was still called Motosport Trail's. It was a total mud bath on Saturday and Sunday morning was still bad, but the track dried out by late afternoon.

Knox amateur, Olympics I see you're still living in the past. LOL!

Marc, the only thing that I see about having all of those qualifiers and regionals is that it guts the local racing in the spring and early summer. Other than that, I don't have a problem with it. The buckeye series kinda did the same thing back in the day.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new track in cleveland is running a qualifier in 2018.. give them a chance too.

I can see positive and negatives. Sure, guys go to every area to get in to multiple regionals if they have the money. But, that's making it monetary. If you have enough money, you'll make it in. That's kind of Bullshit but by the time you get there, those guys that made it by going from race to race and weren't good enough the first few times, are going to suck and not make it to the show let alone the podium.

Who the f**k cares anyway? It's an AMATEUR national. Sure, it's cool to see the young guns or older guys go out and race. But in reality, it means NOTHING aside from the experience and being around your friends and family for most of the guys that have to hit more than one qualifier. No one goes to Loretta's and comes out like "yea, won, got a factory ride, Mill and a half signing bonus." No, you get a f*****g trophy and if you're lucky and in an elite class, a couple pictures, t shirts, and an extra 10% discount. Unless you're already somebody people have their eye on, no one cares. Just another race. Support your local tracks as amatuers. Want to make it "big time" go qualify for a national. Hit pro ams.

Loretta's just isn't what it used to be. Growing up I dreamed about making it there. It was hard and I wasn't national material. I'm not afraid to say I wasn't the fasted dude on the track. That was reality. I worked hard, rode a couple days a week, and when I couldn't make it, better luck next year. For the guys that can afford it, more power to you, I'm sure it's a blast traveling around, but if you're getting your ass handed to you on a silver platter every race, not making it, it can't be that fun.

Just my 2 cents.

I wonder if the new track in cleveland is running a qualifier in 2018.. give them a chance too.

I can see positive and negatives. Sure, guys go to every area to get in to multiple regionals if they have the money. But, that's making it monetary. If you have enough money, you'll make it in. That's kind of Bullshit but by the time you get there, those guys that made it by going from race to race and weren't good enough the first few times, are going to suck and not make it to the show let alone the podium.

Who the f**k cares anyway? It's an AMATEUR national. Sure, it's cool to see the young guns or older guys go out and race. But in reality, it means NOTHING aside from the experience and being around your friends and family for most of the guys that have to hit more than one qualifier. No one goes to Loretta's and comes out like "yea, won, got a factory ride, Mill and a half signing bonus." No, you get a f*****g trophy and if you're lucky and in an elite class, a couple pictures, t shirts, and an extra 10% discount. Unless you're already somebody people have their eye on, no one cares. Just another race. Support your local tracks as amatuers. Want to make it "big time" go qualify for a national. Hit pro ams.

Loretta's just isn't what it used to be. Growing up I dreamed about making it there. It was hard and I wasn't national material. I'm not afraid to say I wasn't the fasted dude on the track. That was reality. I worked hard, rode a couple days a week, and when I couldn't make it, better luck next year. For the guys that can afford it, more power to you, I'm sure it's a blast traveling around, but if you're getting your ass handed to you on a silver platter every race, not making it, it can't be that fun.

Just my 2 cents.

I trying to figure out what you just posted.

Quote: (But in reality, it means NOTHING aside from the experience and being around your friends and family for most of the guys that have to hit more than one qualifier.)
That's one of the main reasons that I go to the motocross track, that's what it's all about, being with friends. What's wrong with that?

Quote: (No one goes to Loretta's and comes out like "yea, won, got a factory ride, Mill and a half signing bonus.")
No kidding! I never raced thinking I was gonna to be a pro and I know my son is never going to be a pro. I would be ecstatic if my son made it to LL. I wouldn't even care if he finished last. The time shared with him and the memories made would be priceless.

Quote: (Growing up I dreamed about making it there. It was hard and I wasn't national material)
So did I and so does my son. Are the young rider today not allowed to have the same dream you had?

Somethings have changed in our sport, but the fun of racing dirt bikes hasn't. Racing at LL maybe the biggest highlight in a rider's life, what's wrong with that? Long as you're having fun who cares. Besides I'm not taking my money with me, so I might as well spend it on the ones I love. Some of you need to lighten up.

I trying to figure out what you just posted.

Quote: (But in reality, it means NOTHING aside from the experience and being around your friends and family for most of the guys that have to hit more than one qualifier.)
That's one of the main reasons that I go to the motocross track, that's what it's all about, being with friends. What's wrong with that?

Quote: (No one goes to Loretta's and comes out like "yea, won, got a factory ride, Mill and a half signing bonus.")
No kidding! I never raced thinking I was gonna to be a pro and I know my son is never going to be a pro. I would be ecstatic if my son made it to LL. I wouldn't even care if he finished last. The time shared with him and the memories made would be priceless.

Quote: (Growing up I dreamed about making it there. It was hard and I wasn't national material)
So did I and so does my son. Are the young rider today not allowed to have the same dream you had?

Somethings have changed in our sport, but the fun of racing dirt bikes hasn't. Racing at LL maybe the biggest highlight in a rider's life, what's wrong with that? Long as you're having fun who cares. Besides I'm not taking my money with me, so I might as well spend it on the ones I love. Some of you need to lighten up.
I believe i also stated that I made tons of memories with my dad traveling around just riding. There are other options than chasing the dream of an amatuer national. People get too caught up in it. There's nothing wrong with taking your son to those races. My dad took me to them too and we had fun. I believe what was being discussed was traveling all over the country to hopefully make it where no one showed up or everyone crashed out. If you don't make it out of the one or two you can hit close to home, you probably won't make it at a track you've never ridden. Go ride, race local, have fun and make your memories if you don't make it.
Lol its funny you quote the memories secation of that, I posted in another thread about my memories at a track and being around my friends and family. I'm saying you don't have to do it at an amateur national. If you want to, great, go for it.
The young riders are. It's a great thing for them but did I ever refer to the kids? I was referring to adults, 18 and older spending every waking moment chasing an amateur dream. It's just not worth it as an adult. Hence the pro ams comment..

I hope that cleared it up a bit. Good luck on the road to Loretta's with your son. I mean that, I think the young kids deserve the chance to go to those races.

Most of the guys hitting 3 areas are making it out of all three. They're not going to 3 because they couldn't cut it.

I have watched many races down at the ranch and saw very few that did not belong there. Battles of death in most classes back to 40th place.

Really? You don't see it? I gave you the BEST reason. If you cant make it in your home region, then you are NOT national caliber. Take another "amateur" sport (s) the Olympics. If you get 4th and lose by 0.001 seconds, You don't make it. Try again in 4 years. Its not "well you slipped of the start so we will run another trial next week in another state, maybe you will get in there." Its you lost. Your not good enough all around. That includes the start. Try again in 4 years.
The sporting world already had the lovable loser in "Eddie the Eagle". We don't need another crappy movie with that hack Hugh Jackman

I didn't realize they only took Olympic athletes from their home region....
You sure about that?

I didn't realize they only took Olympic athletes from their home region....
You sure about that?
I can not just show up at an Olympic trial and challenge Michael Phillips. You have to qualify from regional races. (I assume)

But hey, I look damn good in a Speedo. Why else do you think Rocket was going to let me race his bike?

Clearly the timing of different regionals is to grab more money. If someone wants to chase that all over the country, fine. Have at it. I just don't like the idea of diluting the "national"

Now deal with that mental picture I just painted...

When I went to Loretta's I don't even remember if there were multiple regionals that I could have went to. I remember going to a couple qualifiers, and then one regional.

Here is the issue I have with the whole system. You should NOT have to go to a regional and qualify at a regional. That tells me that it is nothing more than a money grab. Once you make it to the regional, there should be 40 riders in each class. no more, Qualifiers as many as show up race, and there may be qualifiers. But at the regional, you should only have 40 riders per class, Just my opinion.

I like the idea of coming from your home region also. This then puts a variety of people from all across the country on the track. So then you can determine a champ.

Back