Loretta Lynn Qualifier Schedule

Even back then the punch line was " Worlds Greatest Motocross Vacation" ...and they still use it today.
World Greatest if you like crazy humidity and the inevitable deluge. Even though it pains me to the core to support the promoter, it still bothers me that I never won that darn race... 3 more years before 50+... :rolleyes:
If the back holds up, I will try to put the old 1-2-5 in the show. But I am not going unless I think I can win.
Do they still have Pac-Man in the game room tent?

Forgot to share this little story of "its a small world from 1985"
We hired a woman a year ago for an outside sales position. Somehow, after she was hired we had a conversation about her home town which turned out to be Dickson Tennessee... Of course I told her I have been there several times.. "Why were you there?". For a motocross race... Long story short. She was the lifeguard at LL in 1985.
Pretty sure I got kicked out of that pool a few times in 1985...
Yes, she is still pretty good looking.

Never know who you will run into later in life.

The system is the the system, and some people work the system to their advantage, and some people complain about the system because they just can't seem to make it, or do well with it. My first ever Loretta's experience was in 1995 (10 years after Knox) in the +25 class and Open B class at the time. The same system that was used then is still used today, with 8 Area Qualifiers advancing 8 riders each (64 possible guaranteed entries into a regional) to regionals of which there were 7 Regions. Northeast, Southeast, Mideast, North Central, South Central, Northwest, and Southwest Regions. And basically, the best of the best qualify for Loretta Lynn's no matter where they qualify from. Over the years, I've only ever gone to Mid East (Home region) or Northeast (Western PA D-5 was my racing home for years) to qualify for Loretta's depending on the time of the regional and conflicts with my family beach vacation in June. I've seen only a handful of riders that have been at Loretta's that are clearly out of their league and in the wrong place. And almost all of those riders qualified out of Southwest Region and took a guaranteed spot from a wildly low attendance class so that they could make it to Loretta's and live out their dream of racing there. I had a friend do it in the +35 class one year, and he was WAY back every moto and a danger to himself and others racing in the class but he got to check a thing off his bucket list. All of these people stating that if you have enough money to race anywhere can pay your way in are about 99% off, it happens in rare occasions in classes that are lightly attended in only the Northwest or Southwest that won't travel all the way to Tennessee for the National. They have their own races to satisfy their needs of Vet Racing (which is about the only place it happens).

If you aren't fast enough to be at the front of the pack ALL THE TIME locally, than you probably won't make it to Loretta's. It's as simple as that. Because you are talking about the top 42 Riders (in most classes that aren't split class) in the country, and that's less than 1 per state. And we all know some states have lots of really fast guys and send more than 1 guy to the National Championship, which means less than 1 per state. Add a few Canadians, a few foreigners from other places(young guns looking to make it in America), and you are looking at a very small chance to make it into the event, which is why it's a dream of many to be able to ride this event that is really hard to make. It's a dream race just to make it there for 99% of the Motocross racers out there, only the 1% actually get to do it.

And YES, MX Sports figured out this system and works it to their full advantage of taking advantage of making money off of people's dreams!!!! People spend TONS of money trying to get there, and they are collecting it, hyping it up, and making the most of anyone in the country off of our need to qualify for the National Amateur MX Championship!!!!! Good for them for seeing the opportunity and taking advantage of it and making it so great that we all argue about this every year!!!!!

I, personally, love the racing at the Regionals for the great competition and tracks that they are usually held at. I love the big stage and the fierce competition no matter what place I'm battling for. And Loretta's is the same, I was fortunate to be able to run at the front of the VET B/C class when I was that age and got a taste of the front of the pack there, but I have had just as much fun racing in AGE classes that are not "B/C, or Sportsman" type classes where I get lapped every moto by some old pro that I used to watch on TV, because if I'm riding in 25th place in my class, I'm working my butt off to try to get the guy in 24th, while the guy in 26th is working his butt off to try to get me. I love the 24 minute long battle where everything comes to play in the moto. Who can get a start, who can make a pass, who can ride ruts, who can ride the sand section, who can get the whoops clean, who can stand the heat, who can last 24 minutes at WFO, in the end, who is the better motocrosser on that given day. One of my biggest accomplishments was the first moto in a Loretta's class that included old pros where I stayed on the lead lap, I worked my butt off for that, and knowing that I could hang within 2 minutes of the pro's was a major accomplishment for me.

Loretta's is the crown jewel of Amateur MX racing, and in the end, if you or your child can't make it there, it's because it's the best of the best and you need to be better than you are to get a spot in the SHOW. It really is the top 1% of all riders out there that are racing. All of this arguing every year about it really boils down to one of 2 things. First, People that wish they were collecting the money and running the event because they are seeing how much people will spend to make it there. Or Second, people that are pissed off that they can't make into a class there no matter how hard they try or how much they spend on bikes, parts, racing, training, and traveling to get there and are looking for a reason why the system is rigged against them keeping them from being able to race there. In either case, people are jealous in one way or another of what someone else has or can do, it's as simple as that.

The system is the the system, and some people work the system to their advantage, and some people complain about the system because they just can't seem to make it, or do well with it. My first ever Loretta's experience was in 1995 (10 years after Knox) in the +25 class and Open B class at the time. The same system that was used then is still used today, with 8 Area Qualifiers advancing 8 riders each (64 possible guaranteed entries into a regional) to regionals of which there were 7 Regions. Northeast, Southeast, Mideast, North Central, South Central, Northwest, and Southwest Regions. And basically, the best of the best qualify for Loretta Lynn's no matter where they qualify from. Over the years, I've only ever gone to Mid East (Home region) or Northeast (Western PA D-5 was my racing home for years) to qualify for Loretta's depending on the time of the regional and conflicts with my family beach vacation in June. I've seen only a handful of riders that have been at Loretta's that are clearly out of their league and in the wrong place. And almost all of those riders qualified out of Southwest Region and took a guaranteed spot from a wildly low attendance class so that they could make it to Loretta's and live out their dream of racing there. I had a friend do it in the +35 class one year, and he was WAY back every moto and a danger to himself and others racing in the class but he got to check a thing off his bucket list. All of these people stating that if you have enough money to race anywhere can pay your way in are about 99% off, it happens in rare occasions in classes that are lightly attended in only the Northwest or Southwest that won't travel all the way to Tennessee for the National. They have their own races to satisfy their needs of Vet Racing (which is about the only place it happens).

If you aren't fast enough to be at the front of the pack ALL THE TIME locally, than you probably won't make it to Loretta's. It's as simple as that. Because you are talking about the top 42 Riders (in most classes that aren't split class) in the country, and that's less than 1 per state. And we all know some states have lots of really fast guys and send more than 1 guy to the National Championship, which means less than 1 per state. Add a few Canadians, a few foreigners from other places(young guns looking to make it in America), and you are looking at a very small chance to make it into the event, which is why it's a dream of many to be able to ride this event that is really hard to make. It's a dream race just to make it there for 99% of the Motocross racers out there, only the 1% actually get to do it.

And YES, MX Sports figured out this system and works it to their full advantage of taking advantage of making money off of people's dreams!!!! People spend TONS of money trying to get there, and they are collecting it, hyping it up, and making the most of anyone in the country off of our need to qualify for the National Amateur MX Championship!!!!! Good for them for seeing the opportunity and taking advantage of it and making it so great that we all argue about this every year!!!!!

I, personally, love the racing at the Regionals for the great competition and tracks that they are usually held at. I love the big stage and the fierce competition no matter what place I'm battling for. And Loretta's is the same, I was fortunate to be able to run at the front of the VET B/C class when I was that age and got a taste of the front of the pack there, but I have had just as much fun racing in AGE classes that are not "B/C, or Sportsman" type classes where I get lapped every moto by some old pro that I used to watch on TV, because if I'm riding in 25th place in my class, I'm working my butt off to try to get the guy in 24th, while the guy in 26th is working his butt off to try to get me. I love the 24 minute long battle where everything comes to play in the moto. Who can get a start, who can make a pass, who can ride ruts, who can ride the sand section, who can get the whoops clean, who can stand the heat, who can last 24 minutes at WFO, in the end, who is the better motocrosser on that given day. One of my biggest accomplishments was the first moto in a Loretta's class that included old pros where I stayed on the lead lap, I worked my butt off for that, and knowing that I could hang within 2 minutes of the pro's was a major accomplishment for me.

Loretta's is the crown jewel of Amateur MX racing, and in the end, if you or your child can't make it there, it's because it's the best of the best and you need to be better than you are to get a spot in the SHOW. It really is the top 1% of all riders out there that are racing. All of this arguing every year about it really boils down to one of 2 things. First, People that wish they were collecting the money and running the event because they are seeing how much people will spend to make it there. Or Second, people that are pissed off that they can't make into a class there no matter how hard they try or how much they spend on bikes, parts, racing, training, and traveling to get there and are looking for a reason why the system is rigged against them keeping them from being able to race there. In either case, people are jealous in one way or another of what someone else has or can do, it's as simple as that.

I am the founding father of group 1

All of this arguing every year about it really boils down to one of 2 things. First, People that wish they were collecting the money and running the event because they are seeing how much people will spend to make it there. Or Second, people that are pissed off that they can't make into a class there no matter how hard they try or how much they spend on bikes, parts, racing, training, and traveling to get there and are looking for a reason why the system is rigged against them keeping them from being able to race there. In either case, people are jealous in one way or another of what someone else has or can do, it's as simple as that.

Id have to disagree. I dont care how much money they make, I spend what I want to and last year it included taking Austin all around and in previous years taking myself. It is a HUGE money maker but people arent required to do it so who cares. And I know Im not making it for the simple fact I dont have the time to train seriously enough to get my pace up a couple notches to make it. I have fun doing the area and regionals as it is. But I also think it would be a better idea to let people only qualify from their region. Its just my opinion for reasons I listed above. I will say you are correct for the lrgest majority of people that complain though.

Sorry it rubbed ya wrong -

No problem, I was a bit grumpy myself last night. I will say that one of the best times Ive ever had at a race was a few years back when we all went to the Millville regional! So many great friends in one place at a great track. You and I had a great battle I will never forget. If we had to only qualify from our region I wouldnt have those memories.

When you think about it if it's fierce competition you want them qualifier and regionals are where you'll find it. And lorettas. There isn't one Moto you're sitting in the staging where you don't have the urge to run to the Porto John to s**t your brains out or lift the mask of your helmet up an inch to vomit. You ain't getting that anywhere else. They have Market share, and they're gonna charge for it.

As well as the battle series. Every Battle series race or qualifier or regional I've been to has had me nervous on edge the entire race. That's an awesome feeling I crave. And I can't get that high racing 3 guys spaced out 35 seconds apart.

Oh and you can go to the ranch like this:

IMG_4405.JPG

don't need a half a mill rig setup. No racing Motorsport other sport can you do that.

I went to Loretta's in 1993 and it was still a 3 moto format at the Regional in 1993.
I think 1990 or so may have been the last year for the throw out moto. I know at the youth regional at Red Bud that year it was still in effect.

Reactions: TBO
When you think about it if it's fierce competition you want them qualifier and regionals are where you'll find it. And lorettas. There isn't one Moto you're sitting in the staging where you don't have the urge to run to the Porto John to s**t your brains out or lift the mask of your helmet up an inch to vomit. You ain't getting that anywhere else. They have Market share, and they're gonna charge for it.

As well as the battle series. Every Battle series race or qualifier or regional I've been to has had me nervous on edge the entire race. That's an awesome feeling I crave. And I can't get that high racing 3 guys spaced out 35 seconds apart.

View attachment 54268

don't need a half a mill rig setup. No racing Motorsport other sport can you do that.
AC, nice that way all your candy won't melt before the kids can get it!

View attachment 54268

Didn't I send you that pic this year???

I think 1990 or so may have been the last year for the throw out moto. I know at the youth regional at Red Bud that year it was still in effect.
I went in 1993. Regional was at Red Bud. Total Mudfest. After rains hit all night Saturday. Cancelled 3rd motos and the sun came out. They scored the regional on 2 motos.

I went in 1993. Regional was at Red Bud. Total Mudfest. After rains hit all night Saturday. Cancelled 3rd motos and the sun came out. They scored the regional on 2 motos.
I was there that year as well. Broke my leg at Casey Illinois in 91'. Regionals at Red Bud have always been gnar. Red Bud got my achilles in 15' when I felt like I did my homework for once. :mad:

I was there that year as well. Broke my leg at Casey Illinois in 91'. Regionals at Red Bud have always been gnar. Red Bud got my achilles in 15' when I felt like I did my homework for once. :mad:
'93 Redbud regional I remember being in a second corner pile up and sitting in the truck watching it rain, that's about it haha.

I forget the name of the regional track we qualified from in Indiana in'94.

Back