Mx classes

Michael

PR Addict
If they had less than 100 people in the stands, they lost a lot of money that night. I would assume that night was an anomaly or else they'd be out of business.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
If they had less than 100 people in the stands, they lost a lot of money that night. I would assume that night was an anomaly or else they'd be out of business.
weekly show. Had 2 heat races in 2 classes, 3 in the others. I would guess 20 to 30 in each class so the average of 25. X $25 for entry X 8 classes = $5000. PLUS pit passes and gate fees. Yes, they made money. Not 60K but made enough to make it worth while.

From their site - Open Outlaw Karts will be racing for a purse of $500. Intermediates and Box Stock Outlaw Karts will be racing for $150 to win

Point I was trying to make is our sport your a "Pro" if you get cash as a prize. Their sport your an idiot if you get JUST a trophy.
You know you have saw it, the look someone give you when you tell them you race motocross for a trophy...

th

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
View attachment 59329
I was in Chattanooga last week and drove over to some back woods podunk track in North Carolina and watch outlaw kart racing. Had 8 classes. Less then 100 people in the stands and I watched a 6 year old kid win $200 CASH. Pit pass was $15. Signup was $25. Track even had “house cars” you could rent and race that night.
Every class paid cash money... no crap trophy for 7th place.
I wonder how they can do it?

And the sound... the kids karts run 125 engines. The adult karts.... 500 smokers. It was AMAZING
If they bring that to Ohio, I’m in.

How they could do it? My guess would be that they don't have to spend as much money to on the race. We've kicked around the kart track idea with help from friends. Its far less work, people, prep and equipment, than motocross. Way less.

Just curious, did you catch the track size? 1/10th mile, 1/4 mile?

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
For me, the idea of the prize at the end has never been a motivating factor.

What happens to my head the moment I shift into second gear.... has always been the allure.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
How they could do it? My guess would be that they don't have to spend as much money to on the race. We've kicked around the kart track idea with help from friends. Its far less work, people, prep and equipment, than motocross. Way less.

Just curious, did you catch the track size? 1/10th mile, 1/4 mile?
It is 1/6 mile. Takes like 4 lights to flood the entire track. No lie. the "water truck" was a pickup truck bed with three 55 gallon drums feeding a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it. Very high tech.
They did have rfid scoring... of course.
They say with age comes a cage. I need one of those karts

mshafer62

PR Addict
Hmmm...Easy to build? Less work than motocross? Paging Dick Klamfoth!!!

Probably some of the stuff you've learned from mx and your dirt would carry over but overall my
guess it has a similar learning curve.

You might start out doing this until riders/drivers complain about dips in the straightaways and corners
(yep dirt trackers are high maintenance too and have heard that go-karters are the worst)
3a886-11335117_824875900967246_1364078784_n.jpg

but eventually, you'll end up with one of these (okay it doesn't have to be new)
CM20170519-29063-06760

I'd love to see you build a short track as flat track is making a major comeback and a great addition to what you've built already

John250

PR Founding Father
Looks cool to me. I know Brad Stunk is still racing Micro Sprints that run on 600cc and 1000cc motorcycle engines. Those are cool too.

Bill Burba also races E-Mods and late models. So a few guys have made the transition to 4 wheels.

Surprised they dont race them at Lawrenceburg. Have you checked?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Hmmm...Easy to build? Less work than motocross? Paging Dick Klamfoth!!!

Probably some of the stuff you've learned from mx and your dirt would carry over but overall my
guess it has a similar learning curve.

You might start out doing this until riders/drivers complain about dips in the straightaways and corners
(yep dirt trackers are high maintenance too and have heard that go-karters are the worst)
3a886-11335117_824875900967246_1364078784_n.jpg

but eventually, you'll end up with one of these (okay it doesn't have to be new)
CM20170519-29063-06760

I'd love to see you build a short track as flat track is making a major comeback and a great addition to what you've built already

In my conversations with actual cart track promoters it is in fact a less volume of work, and not nearly as much rebuilding. When I told them I spend 20-25 hours rebuilding the tracks with a dozer each month they laughed pretty hard, then I described putting down 140k gallons plus, and they laughed harder.

Absolutely zero interest in motorcycle flat track, go carts only if anything

I wouldn’t be putting these on either, I would just be a venue

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
In my conversations with actual cart track promoters it is in fact a less volume of work, and not nearly as much rebuilding. When I told them I spend 20-25 hours rebuilding the tracks with a dozer each month they laughed pretty hard, then I described putting down 140k gallons plus, and they laughed harder.

Absolutely zero interest in motorcycle flat track, go carts only if anything

I wouldn’t be putting these on either, I would just be a venue

But, but, but Briarcliff MX is so much fun!

jj584

PR Addict
I looked at karts and oval cars when we left quad racing back in 08. Just as expensive and didn’t seem as fun.

Ron505

PR Founding Father
COCR has a small oval kart track. It was built last year, and somewhat overgrown now. Started off pretty hot with club members, and has slowly gone away.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
The Great Lakes MX series runs Garglefunkle or Farkenhagen or something crazy and they run less classes with like 15-20 min motos. I was reading about them and sounds like a good time waiting to see results to see how many entries. Would be good research for our promoters here. They run it as a separate series as well, maybe that could be the new battle format!

If OIR did a farkengruven I think there would be an insane turn out. And it would be fun as hell, That track would get rough...

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So a track tried less classes, group scheduling and longer moto and it worked? Get out!!! Real RACERS want longer moto’s. The pussy group of pro practice riders don’t because When they do ride it is 2 laps at speed then 15 minuets on sitting next to the track talking about scrubs

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
So a track tried less classes, group scheduling and longer moto and it worked? Get out!!! Real RACERS want longer moto’s. The pussy group of pro practice riders don’t because When they do ride it is 2 laps at speed then 15 minuets on sitting next to the track talking about scrubs

Not just a track, a series! I think they're running a 6 races series of Farkengruven. Would be super cool if a track ran one of these. I'm sure it would get good result considering the number of MXers that run GPs at Fast Traxx.