It is that time of the year: Official LL Amateur National Roster is released

DelBalso28

PR Addict
That's only partially correct. ALL the spots are guarenteed, 4 on west, and 6 for the rest. If you get top 4 or 6 and send your money, you are IN.
Johnny is correct though in one part -- if you go west and don't get top 4, your power ranking is screwed....EXCEPT for this little understood rule and I think Johnny is taking it backwards:
  • A minimum of 50% of the guaranteed qualifying positions from each Regional will advance to the National, regardless of the rider's power ranking.
What that means is, if there are 6 racers in a West Regional, and you get last (6th) but send in your money, and only ONE of the top 4 send their money in....YOU ARE IN! This is the seldom used "west rule" they put in trying to get more representation from the western part of the country. I have actually seen this happen in years past with the vet classes.

Using the same scenario however of 6 racers, you get 6th, and if TWO of the top 4 send their money in, you are hosed. The 50% rule is satisfied by 2 of the 4 entering, and your power ranking is a fat zero because you got 6th out of 6. If one of the two that sent their money in drop out though, you bump all the rest of the alternates and are IN.

On another note, has anyone ever done the "apprentice" thing they added as of last year? I saw this year they added "factory team mechanic" and I almost pulled the trigger on signing up for that. I know the whole thing is aimed at young kids....but it looked interesting. If I was planning the whole week down there I would be tempted to apply for it just to do it.
Thats a goofy one, id be pissed if last place got in
Helps a lot and I got a another question is the people that are alternates signing up as if they made it and paying the mx fees cause there’s a ton of alternates from regionals of course but on the alternate rosters those are the people who didn’t make it initially but paid the mx fees correct? So what I’m saying is the people who are alternates have to pay the mx sports fee to go even though they haven’t made it do they get reimbursed the money or just goes to waste it was just suprising to me to see people I beat are in the show I was just confused
if you go down there you will NOT get your facility fee($400) back, which is the bulk of the price.
You will however get your class fee($150) back if not selected as an alternate(top 10 alternates get to practice, you will still be refunded even if you practice)

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
That's only partially correct. ALL the spots are guarenteed, 4 on west, and 6 for the rest. If you get top 4 or 6 and send your money, you are IN.
Johnny is correct though in one part -- if you go west and don't get top 4, your power ranking is screwed....EXCEPT for this little understood rule and I think Johnny is taking it backwards:
  • A minimum of 50% of the guaranteed qualifying positions from each Regional will advance to the National, regardless of the rider's power ranking.
What that means is, if there are 6 racers in a West Regional, and you get last (6th) but send in your money, and only ONE of the top 4 send their money in....YOU ARE IN! This is the seldom used "west rule" they put in trying to get more representation from the western part of the country. I have actually seen this happen in years past with the vet classes.

Using the same scenario however of 6 racers, you get 6th, and if TWO of the top 4 send their money in, you are hosed. The 50% rule is satisfied by 2 of the 4 entering, and your power ranking is a fat zero because you got 6th out of 6. If one of the two that sent their money in drop out though, you bump all the rest of the alternates and are IN.

On another note, has anyone ever done the "apprentice" thing they added as of last year? I saw this year they added "factory team mechanic" and I almost pulled the trigger on signing up for that. I know the whole thing is aimed at young kids....but it looked interesting. If I was planning the whole week down there I would be tempted to apply for it just to do it.m
What’s the factory team mechanic thing? What exactly is it?

Vet261

PR Addict
MORGANTOWN, W. Va. (July 12, 2021) - As the days until the landmark 40th running of the Monster Energy AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship continue to tick away, MX Sports has announced an expansion of the Loretta Lynn’s Apprentice program to now include a Factory Team Support/Mechanic position. The apprenticeship aims to foster the next generation of off-the-bike talent for the motocross industry and will coincide with the week-long event, from August 2-7, at Tennessee’s legendary Loretta Lynn’s Ranch.
Thanks to an unwavering commitment to develop young talent for the sport’s future, each of the sport’s competing manufacturers have successfully established thriving amateur programs. From the renowned Kawasaki Team Green effort to Yamaha’s bLU cRU, Suzuki’s RM Army, and KTM’s Orange Brigade, the amount of motocross talent that has graduated from and continues to be produced through these racing programs, and those from other manufacturers like Cobra, Honda, GASGAS, and Husqvarna, is second to none.

With the addition of a support role through the Loretta Lynn’s Apprentice, these factory-backed efforts will now have an opportunity to potentially discover a new crop of talent, away from the motorcycle, that can contribute to continued success on the racetrack. Selected applicants will be assigned to select teams in pursuit of multiple national championships, providing valuable assistance in the quest to accomplish that goal.

The Loretta Lynn’s Apprentice offers a limited number of positions across several key areas that contribute to the overall execution of the Monster Energy AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship.
  • Announcing (Broadcast/Public Address)
  • Production (Racer TV)
  • Reporting (Pit/Trackside)
  • Drone Operator
  • Event Photography
  • Medic Team
  • Track Operations
  • Race Operations
  • Factory Team Support/Mechanic

Meister

PR Founding Father
Mathew, in 16 I got a 10th at baja. Had people tell me to send my money in but figured there was no way I'd get to go. I wasn't very happy when I heard of guys I beat that signed up and got to race the national. Mighta been my last legit opportunity.. lol

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Man, +30 is moto number 1!
We were first moto in 2019 as well. Definitely cool to put the first ruts in the grass. Also makes for a short week.

I did learn one thing about being the first moto, show up 30 minutes early or you’ll miss your gate pick.
400AD91C-E133-4048-970E-297A74ED8A5A.jpeg

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Typically you'll get 3 totally different times of the day for your moto's throughout the week.
One AM race, one mid day race & one late afternoon.
It's wild to be on the tack, in race face, Don't F' wit me mode first thing in the morning....

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Mathew, in 16 I got a 10th at baja. Had people tell me to send my money in but figured there was no way I'd get to go. I wasn't very happy when I heard of guys I beat that signed up and got to race the national. Mighta been my last legit opportunity.. lol
Definitely have figured out there ways of getting in for sure

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
We here, getting set up.
Trip down was uneventful. Couple of detours around construction-
7C1DF50C-CE21-4A5C-BEC3-0C1460739978.jpeg
but then things started getting sideways

The place is MOBBED

Last edited:

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
It was good & hot yesterday. The river was cold and the water is clear.

We got some showers overnight & its still sprinkling now.
This pattern should clear out by mid day and make for a great week a racing.
Highs in the upper 80’s -

The BUZZ is real - everyone’s excited