PR: AMA VMD Mid Ohio Enhancing MX Track

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
(I know this was posted already in another thread, I just wanted to highlight for those that may not have seen it)

AMA Racing adds classes, enhances motocross track for AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- AMA Racing, the amateur racing department of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), is bringing a number of enhancements to the motocross track for the AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships during AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days featuring Kawasaki, Marque of the Year, this July 22-24 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

"The AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships attracts bikes from the 1950s to the beginning of the modern era, and everything in between," said AMA Director of Racing Joe Bromley. "Our track needs to challenge the new bikes while staying historically authentic. Improvements planned for 2011 will strike the right balance so that everyone will have a demanding track to race on."

Bromley added that one factor driving the changes to the motocross track is the addition of non-current classes to the program. The 122cc-Open class will allow bikes sold as pre-1997 models. It will have A and B/C divisions.

"Time marches on, and the non-current classes are our way of opening the doors of the AMA Vintage Grand Championships to bikes that may not be competitive with current technology but are advanced beyond the traditional vintage category," Bromley said. "We don't want any bike left sitting in a garage or shed unused somewhere just because there's nowhere to race it. We encourage riders to come out and support these non-current classes and battle for the podium."

AMA Racing is working with Bart Newman and Jeff Beerbower, the owners of Log Road MX Park in Coldwater, Mich., to design, build and maintain the track during the event. Bromley said that Newman and Beerbower are experienced track builders and understand both the science and art of creating a thrilling motocross course for bikes of all eras.

"Although the design isn't finalized, man-made obstacles will include off-cambers, berms, jumps, rollers and other enhancements that will leverage the natural terrain of the motocross area at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course," Bromley said. "We'll also have a modified starting procedure that will keep things fair while still allowing for a quickly moving program for multiple class starts."

In addition to Saturday's vintage motocross program, riders in Friday's hare scrambles race will also compete on the new track as part of their off-road loop through the woods course. For Sunday's post-vintage and non-current classes, the obstacles will be made even more challenging for the newer bikes.

All entry proceeds from the AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships are donated to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, which is dedicated to promoting and preserving the heritage of motorcycle competition and the motorcycling lifestyle. The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum is located on the AMA campus in Pickerington, Ohio.

Both online entry and downloadable PDF entry forms, along with complete rules and classes, are available at AMAVintageMotorcycleDays.com > Race Your Vintage Bike. The direct link is http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/events/AMAVintageMotorcycleDays/VintageRacing.aspx.

In addition to class entry, competitors must also purchase a ticket to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days for access to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course facility. Tickets to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days can be purchased online at MidOhio.com.

"We'll also have a modified starting procedure that will keep things fair while still allowing for a quickly moving program for multiple class starts."

Hmm....I'm thinkin that might be no-gate / flag start with both hands on the bar?

Dead engine flag start for cross country.
Hand on helmet start for vintage motocross.
Flag start for Post Vintage.
Re-purchase and install another gate for pre-modern motocross.

It's a natural and period type of progression.

Bart Newman and Jeff Beerbower of Log Road are the best thing that could happen to this event.

I don't know how many on here have been to Log Road but these guys do awesome National Style
track prep and put on a first class event!

Hats off to them for hopefully giving some new life to Ohio's premier event.

Maico Mark

If you are pre-entered, double check your confirmation mailings. I recieved mine in the mail yesterday and they made a mistake on the bikes listed.

I just emailed them with the confirmation numbers and pointed out the obvious error, hopefully they get it straightened out.

(Last year I pre-registered online, and then on race day they had me registered and in the line up for the wrong class. I ended up racing that class that day.)

Count down to the 2011 AMA/Mid-Ohio Vintage Days. I'm getting pumped.

I've been slaving away every night on my junkers trying to get ready, and trying to work out some injuries I gave myself riding on July 4th. But we will be racing!

THERE WILL BE NO RAIN FOR THE FRIDAY HARE SCRAMBLE, AND VERY SMALL AND BRIEF GARDEN VARIETY SHOWERS FOR MOTOCROSS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.
Let it be said, Let it be written!

I've been slaving away every night on my junkers trying to get ready, and trying to work out some injuries I gave myself riding on July 4th. But we will be racing!

I am very lucky this year. I pulled the '84 out of the back of the garage, wiped the dust off it, put gas in it and checked the tire pressure. Fired on the 4th kick, ran like a factory bike at AC, I'm ready! Planning on hitting BC on it Sunday just to get more used to it before next weekend.

rode the 84 250 yz yesterday had some problems.. throttle cable, front brakes suck, fork seals need replaced. went to cycle tech in Bucyrus and he had everything in stock including new front brake shoes... I am shooting for riding at svr sunday as they have a open practice. there woods is very similar to mid-ohio. I am racing the cross country friday and my son is racing mx sunday

All our bikes ran great today. Some kind of issue with the clutch on Jacks 82 RM 250...going to tear apart the right side tonite...the 77 125 is rippin but Jack wants to ride the 81 RM 125 instead...there goes my dream.

rode the 84 250 yz yesterday had some problems.. throttle cable, front brakes suck, fork seals need replaced. went to cycle tech in Bucyrus and he had everything in stock including new front brake shoes... I am shooting for riding at svr sunday as they have a open practice. there woods are very similar to mid- ohio. I am racing the cross country friday and my son is racing mx sunday

I was disappointed with the front brake on my 84 RM250 too...I was then surprised how much better it felt after putting on a new cable.

The bike will be worth more than my rig.

A brain-bit I threw out around the AMA "Grand National Champion" awards. What if they changed the motocross racing format to 3-moto instead of 2? Would that make it a little more note-worthy?

Tom-I'm hoping, felt good on it Saturday (until the DG pipe melted a hole in the tank) I have a tank on the way and stock pipe is on the bike now. For a 125 it RIPS

Sharc-I have parts of an 82 KX125 in my garage-bought as a package deal with this 85 KX125.

What if they changed the motocross racing format to 3-moto instead of 2?
I'm all for that, would make all the cycling miles I've been getting in lately worth it. Heck I want 45 minute plus 2 lap motos !

Back