PR: AMA VMD Mid Ohio Enhancing MX Track

NQ1965

PR Elite
I could dig 45 minutes plus 2 myself.
When pondering on this I realized that there may actually be two types of riders in our class's. Those who are there to race and place, and those who just want to be there doing it, fun only, and don't give a hoot about placing. Some of the latter may be lacking in stamina for 3 moto or 45+2. Yet you still need and want them to fill up the starting line.

At the very least, maybe should ratchet up the requirements for the Expert class? I would push to get bumped up if they did that. And you may get a fuller class in expert and some really good racing action going on. And in the process would move faster riders out of "B", making it a little more fair and even for those remaining?

(My wife gets frustrated cause I have no time to think about what color to paint the living room. Just no time to think about it! Yet this will eat at me all day, heee hee.)

mx049

PR Elite
Good luck to all!

The 82 RM 250 is a rocket as I rode a friends when is was new back in the day. Jack should rip on it!

Take lots of pictures for us spectators….

We are out as I had a tune up done to my back (bi-lateral injection into L-4 & L-5) last week in
hopes of getting better but the procedure has left me rather sore. No fun to have done but have
to keep trying something as the ones I had in February did some good not quite enough.

At one point I had hoped to go down & put around but was having 2nd thoughts on that as if you
post-enter they want your stinking wallet at the gate. Never mind my kid’s AMA card expired & that
would be the only event she would use it for.

Do hope they get a good crowd as I think back to 2008 & the hype with 1,000 riders there!

Enjoy,
Maico Mark

NQ1965

PR Elite
Maico Mark, you have to be frustrated. Am I remembering correct that your back issues are result from car accident that someone else caused?

Sure has effected your recreational lifestyle. I liked seeing the pic's of you at these races on your chrome tank Maicos.

NQ1965

PR Elite

KRH

PR Member
I'm the guy who posted the pics of the Mid-Ohio track on Mark's page. This is my first post here. Have faith, I doubt the guys from Log Road would have agreed to build and maintain the track unless they were assured they'd be properly funded. That's my hope, anyway. Been going since 2005, it's the event of the summer for myself and my two sons. My oldest and I build the bikes and my youngest races them.

See you tomorrow at VMD!!!!! Love it!!!!

KRH

1981 KX250
1973 MX360

mooch

PR Elite
Hey welcome to the board KRH.

With just a few days left (sizzling hot ones at that) I hope the log road guys have enough time to do something with that field.

What classes will you be riding?

PV +50 B for me...on an 84 RM250.

KRH

PR Member
I can't ride anymore so my oldest son (Dustin, 27) and I restore them and my youngest son (Ben, 21) races them. That's as good as it gets for me now. They both love vintage machines so it works out good for me. He'll race the KX in PV, EV-3 I think the AMA calls it, 250 C and Open C. He's going to race the MX360 in vintage open C. We just finished the MX so this will be it's first time out. Ben loves riding that beast and he's fairly fast on it. We're still working on getting a handle on the fine tune, but it works pretty good and runs really good. The fatbars on the MX in the pic are gone because they were too low, we have a set of tall bars we had laying around on it now.

Thanks for the welcome, looks like a good board you guys have here.
Kevin

Here's a pic of my bikes: (Our stands vanished off the trailer somehow)
KX250andMX3601.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
I wish I could say that I was optimistic but those field pictures concern me. We are getting a lot of rain here in Heath.

Jeremy has the experience to tell us what is doable in 3 days (starting yesterday), how much equipment it would take, how many operators, and how much time for a sizable basic vet friendly track, with both vintage and PV provisions.

And I'm sure it probably takes quite a few hours just forming, and running the course and obstacles in and compacting. Say nothing of watering afterward if need be.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Nice looking bikes KRH. There are a few of us on here with Yamaha MX's. I have a 74 mx250 in the works, and will be racing an 82 KDX on Friday. Welcome to the forum and glad to have you.

KRH

PR Member
Nice looking bikes KRH. There are a few of us on here with Yamaha MX's. I have a 74 mx250 in the works, and will be racing an 82 KDX on Friday. Welcome to the forum and glad to have you.

Thanks.
The MX is a cool bike, I really like it. It was a real rusty barn find that had been ported and worked over with performance tricks back in the day. It's got Racetech emulators and a set of NOS Redwings on it. It also has a '76 YZ250 tank on it. We lightened it as much as we could without overly compromising the spirit of it being a vintage racer. This one was planned all along to be a racer/rider so we didn't go overboard with the cosmetics. Maybe this winter we'll get serious about making it look good.

Here's sort of a build thread and jetting and stator adventures on Mark's page:
http://www.vintagemx.us/message_board/viewtopic.php?t=3763

Here's what I found out about the piston and port work, again on Mark's page:
http://www.vintagemx.us/message_board/viewtopic.php?t=3594&sid=0da67b83a2bd12d518fca222c5bfa9fd

Lots of good info. The guys over there helped me out a lot with ideas, suggestions and reality checks. I have a real bad habit of going stupid overboard.

The KX was originally restored completely stock with NOS parts I scrounged from literally all over the world. I'll never do that again. I just can't leave a bike sit and my wife wasn't going to let me display it in the house so it got ridden. It's still pretty much stock but it also has Race-Tech emulators and springs and a Works shock on it. I warmed the porting up some and I'm planning on trying a Mossbarger reed cage on it as soon as my finances recover from the shock of the Shock and the rebuild of the MX. This is the bike I wanted to buy in '81 but was too broke. My youngest son, Ben, rode it real well last year at Mid-Ohio.

I didn't have a problem getting in last year on Thursday. I'm pretty sure you have to be a racer or vendor, though.

Thanks again,
Kevin

evomx244

PR Addict
KRH-You need any parts for that 81 KX250 ? I have a spare motor/carb and some odds/ends. Nice work on that 81 Love those 80/81 KX's

KRH

PR Member
KRH-You need any parts for that 81 KX250 ? I have a spare motor/carb and some odds/ends. Nice work on that 81 Love those 80/81 KX's

Yeah, I'm interested in the motor. My wallet has to heal a bit but I'm always on the hunt for spares. Are you going to be at Vintage Days? We're camping so if you see the KX stop by, I'm planning on parking in a prominent spot so we can watch the crowd.

I'm leaving shortly so I'll also post some pics of the track if I have 3g coverage.

Kevin.