PR: AMA VMD Mid Ohio Enhancing MX Track

Sad to say but I bolted after it poured rain Saturday evening, I guess I made a bad choice OH well.....
I did ride with Larry Brookbank and Bob Wilson on Sunday. Between the two of them they had 3 83 YZ250's, which I got to test back to back (felt like a factory test rider) Fun stuff !

Gotcha! Well that sucks.

And HH would make a great vintage track.

Back in 2008 they had a good track. (the last AHRMA event). They had most everything you spoke of Jeremy in track features. And the track was large. In fact there were some very cool track elements. But they were also running District 12 modern bike races there at that time. I have some track pictures from then, and if you jump to the Pitracer archive forum there may even be some photos there as well. It was a cool track.

I got my hopes up that that was the direction they woud go again, bringing in Log Road guys, but not so. When I got there on Friday, I was bummed! But after riding the track, it was a hell of a lot better than last year.

Mid-Ohio must have some pull in this dictating how far they can go with building a track, because 30 minutes after the last moto finished, they had a dozer back out there reshaping it back into a parking lot.

The Log Road crew did a good job with what they had to work with, and prepped it well. The track actually rutted up nicely and rough like Briarcliff gets.

And the "BIG PLUS" There was no gravel cinders in the first turn! (last year!)

Friday Hare scrambles had a good turn out.

Saturday Vintage mx had a decent turn out, but seemed to me yesterdays' participation numbers were down a bit, anybody notice that?

I wonder if it had anything to do with them allowing EV1 bikes to race on saturday with the vintage class's?

Congrats to the all of you that raced, (and made podium), there was some good racing action to see there!

We enjoyed watching for a while on Saturday. That track setup looked time-period authentic as well. I could get back into that kind of racing! My acrophobia prevents me from racing modern bikes. ;)

Three DNFs for Jack as the heat and old bikes were breaking on him. My mighty RM 250 pulled 3 holeshots and I had lots of fun especially on the Harescramble track

Mike you need to somehow harness all the focus, energy, and attitude you have on starts and use that on the rest of the track!

I can happily say that one of the missed holeshots for Mike was because I got one on the day, and I can sadly show photo proof of another of his missed holeshots here - DOH!

MikeDown.jpg

Billy Morris of the Breakfast Club came down and played the National Anthem for us to start out the day, and then broke out his old KTM and took home a #1 plate of his own.
He was pretty stoked and vows to be back all weekend next year.

Billy.jpg

Here is a cool pic of Beenridin being chased down by NQ1965. Battle of the "Mikes."

battle.jpg

Some shots my soon to be daughter-in-law got with there pocket camera.

Pics show:
EV3 201-open B
EV123 Senior 40+ Open B

And my sons class:
EV3.... 100-200cc- B........... Which he achieved 3rd overall in his very first vintage race on my KDX175. (in fact he's actually only raced a couple of times in the past). I kept teasing him that the 2nd place and 1st place guys were still much older and kicked his butt!

He really put that old KDX to work out there against the motocross bikes.

I got a weak start in my first race, (race #7), got upset with myself and decided that wasn't going to happen again in my next race (40+). As can be seen in the photo, many of us were thinking that way.

Attachments

• VMD-A.jpg
    VMD-A.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 220
  • VMD-B.jpg
    VMD-B.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 232
  • VMD-C.jpg
    VMD-C.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 242
  • VMD-D.jpg
    VMD-D.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 221
  • VMD-E.jpg
    VMD-E.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 218
  • VMD-F.jpg
    VMD-F.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 248
  • VMD-G.jpg
    VMD-G.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 330
Nice shot of the podium! That's the one thing we missed was getting some shots of that. Real nice setup and Tom White did a quick interview with the winner of each class.

attachment.php

Agreed!

It would be nice to have pic's of all of the Pitracer regulars that got recognition. There were several.

Mike and Jack no doubt had some rough luck, but they both raced very well. I have some more shots of both of them being hotly pursued by many behind them. And if you read this Mike, I even have a shot immediately after you were ran off the track by the guy on the KX400 in the corner. Jack held his own real well for as young as he is.

And watching you John after your spin-out, you flew like a man with a mission, definitely at A-Class speed.

That was an absolute blast, and cannot wait for next year. And this weekend set the hook on Anthony for vintage racing. He loved the track, he loved it all.

Definately lots of fun...I was hoping for a second moto rematch with you until your mechanical issues. Jack rode the 250 great. He will be a challenger for sure next year...I think he could have taken the overall in the 125 if he had not had mechanical problems. Thats racing ..... I need to fing a little more speed to go with my good starts. Anyway we had a blast. Looking forward to next year .

Attachments

• 7-25-11 521.jpg
    7-25-11 521.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 240
That guy on the KX 400 bumped me pretty good. was that you that was right behind him. I think I took your line getting back on the track ( ala James Stewart ) . That was the only section of the track I did not feel good on. By the end of the day although tired from 6 motos I was really getting the corners down The dirt hooked up awesome. I felt like I was on a rail in some of the turns.

There was a thick white line painted on the ground and a bunch of those Acerbis yellow track markers stuck in the ground all the way down the line, spaced apart for one bike "gates." You picked your "gate" by picking a slot between the markers. Then the start guy pointed down the line like normal, put the flag tip on the ground (like turning card sideways) and waved it to go in 2-5 seconds.

The reason I say it was cool what they did with the track markers and making individual gate slots, is that it kept riders always lining up the same way so each gate slot got a defined rut coming out of it just like you'd normally get. Interesting idea and they did a very good job with it.

Here's a pic where you can see the gate markers.

gate.jpg

Yeah and where is DMX153? This was his first visit and he spent the whole weekend there. I think Dave got a 3rd and his buddy Rick Mcguire won his class on his sweet '87 YZ250.

Back