PR: AMA VMD Mid Ohio Enhancing MX Track

If you have room for them and it's not a hassle I'd like to take a look. I'll pm you a number to call. I have AT&T and had no service last year down there. Both my boys have Verizon and you'll be able to get a hold of one of those nitwits.

Thanks,
Kevin

Mosher went up today to get his pit area claimed and setup...talked to him on the phone a bit ago he said they're working on the mx track today. Handful of guys there are using a bulldozer, front end loader, couple'o skid steers and a water truck.

I wish I could say that I was optimistic but those field pictures concern me. We are getting a lot of rain here in Heath.

Jeremy has the experience to tell us what is doable in 3 days (starting yesterday), how much equipment it would take, how many operators, and how much time for a sizable basic vet friendly track, with both vintage and PV provisions.

And I'm sure it probably takes quite a few hours just forming, and running the course and obstacles in and compacting. Say nothing of watering afterward if need be.

If you mean building a track from scratch, I'd say nearly impossible. Unless you had a crew of trucks bringing you non-dustbowl quality soil by the truck load (one every 5-10 minutes), and you had a couple dozers shaping it. Still, it depends on whether its flat, like what i have seen there, or hilly (scenic). You could make a nice vet track in area of good terrain with 2-3 dozers in about 3-4 days, but not on flat ground, no way.

Jeremy, for the last few years the track has been flat with no jumps so if a few guys can go out for a few days and scrape at least a jump together it'll be a step above what has been there. As you could imagine, a bunch of older guys riding the truly vintage bikes with 4 inches of travel aren't too fond of a jumpy track.

In regards to the track, my expectations have become so freakin low, that I'm now more concerned with dust control and that we're not doing that dumbass hand on your helmet start stuff.

Jeremy, for the last few years the track has been flat with no jumps so if a few guys can go out for a few days and scrape at least a jump together it'll be a step above what has been there. As you could imagine, a bunch of older guys riding the truly vintage bikes with 4 inches of travel aren't too fond of a jumpy track.

In regards to the track, my expectations have become so freakin low, that I'm now more concerned with dust control and that we're not doing that dumbass hand on your helmet start stuff.

I know you dont want it jumpy, I get that. But dont you want it cool? I would think that you would at least want some built up off cambers, some big roller hips in corners, possibly a couple tables 30-40 feet. Maybe like the C track obstacles, but on the big track canvas. It sounds like bumps in a field? Dont they have property with terrain where they used to have the track like way back in the day, or am I mistaken?

Oh, no doubt a cool track would be great! But cool ain't gonna happen at Mid-Ohio where the same old flat field gets minimal work put into it. It is what it is and doubt it'll ever change...that's why I said I'll be ok with it as long as it's not a dust bowl (like it was few years back) and they don't use the lame hand on your helmet start (what they've done the last two years).

There's not much in the way of vintage events going on around here, much less something like Mid-Ohio where there's so much stuff packed into the weekend....it's a great time in spite of the flat field mx track.

Drew's track down in Athens...now that's a cool vintage track!

Honda Hills used to be a good vintage track too.

Dont they have property with terrain where they used to have the track like way back in the day, or am I mistaken?

The historic Mid Ohio MX track from back in the day was at another location, not affiliated with Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.

The historic Mid Ohio MX track from back in the day was at another location, not affiliated with Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.

There is excellent motocross terrain on the property. The AHRMA motocross was held in the NE corner of the sports car course infield before moving to the parking lot. If you get a chance this weekend, take a look and try to envision the motocross layout possible in that location.

Here is a couple shots of the track I took around noon, no action shots though as they only let them make 1 lap at that time. No jumps really that I could see.
DSC00005-2.jpg

DSC00006-3.jpg

Heard from beenridin, jack broke his chain 4 corners into the HS and Mike got 6th. Said the MX track had some small bumps and rollers and tha they stated they planned to add more as the weekend went on and the bike years got newer.

Guess we will see.......

Don't Look J.O.!!!!........Don't Look....!

Too late, Great now I'm effin blinded for life........If only someone woulded warned me via pm??

If it wasn't so far away, I'd road the damn dozer over there. WTF? Nothing worse than track that has been neglected, I feel sad now.....

I bought a bike from a guy earlier this year about 2 miles from Mid Ohio.
I was amazed that in all of that absolutely flat ground in the area that there was some rolling terrain at all.
I would think they would make the track on that rolling area?
If that is the MX track in the pictures, it's just gonna be a parade.

I was told that when they had the track on another location on the property , the dust was getting onto the roadrace track and caused a hazard for the knee draggers . That's why they moved it to the parking lot area .

I was told that when they had the track on another location on the property , the dust was getting onto the roadrace track and caused a hazard for the knee draggers . That's why they moved it to the parking lot area .

The year I was there, I seem to remember huge airport fire truck like water trucks that were not used for the section near the road course and yes, there was dust there.

I may be biased because I love the event so much and I personally didn't ride the track but my son raced on it both days and said it was a lot of fun. To my eyes it was well prepared and well kept. A couple small jumps, an off camber corner and some kickers and rollers. The few guys I talked to liked the track. At the awards event quite a few commented about how great the track was. Everyone's going to have their opinion and mine is that the guys from Log Road did a great job.

KRH

More later, I'm beat.

But quickly....they did a very good job. YES, it is still a race run in a grass parking lot with just subtle elevation changes. This year there was a scattering of simple jumps and rockers built. The overnight rain put some great moisture in the ground and they worked it up great -- this track had some of the best loamy traction I've ridden in a long time.

Kudos to the crew from the AMA and Log Road for putting on a very professionally run and enjoyable event.

2012 O'neal Retro isn't out yet, so I busted out an old-school neon O'Neal jersey for the first set of motos.

VMD2011.jpg

Fun times, can't wait until next year!

Back