PR: AMA VMD Mid Ohio Enhancing MX Track

Hey KO is that the same guy who was at Drew's race ?
Yep Same guy! He won the HS race on friday in the A class and then won the A modern class on
Sunday. Rick McGuire is his name. Lightning fast on anything he swings a leg over.

My first time at Mid-Ohio was a complete blast! This event will be on my to do calendar for a very
long time. I thought the entire event was well run and organized. The track was great and what made it better was seeing some faces I knew (Pit, Billy Morris, Tom, Mosher) and also making new friends. Rick and I met people from all over the place, even Spain! I had never seen so many cool motorcycles in my life, truelly an amazing weekend. I'm officially a vintage guy! hahaha.

We need a Mooch report?

My report...my bike suddenly came down with a case of the death rattles :)

Yep, disappointed that my RM250 let me down for the first time. It's probably never had new main or rod bearings and one of those bearings decided the time had come to complain about needing some attention. I first noticed a knocking noise halfway thru practice and as it got worse I pulled in before practice ended.

I figured even if it was running like crap and could potentially throw a rod through my cases at any time that I was going to see if it would hold out.

I rode 50+ B and there were 10 riders and I somehow ended up with the holeshot in the first moto and lead for about 3 laps before getting passed and ending up with second. I really think I could have held the lead if I wasn't so distracted with the knocking noise and the heavy vibration that went along with the noise...besides babying it along, I was worried it was going to lock up at any moment and always kept my fingers on the clutch ready to pull it in if the rod let loose.

After making it through the 1st moto, the noise and vibration was even worse when I got it started up for the 2nd moto. The tank was shaking badly enough that my vent hose was swinging back and forth to the knocking noise and it was running pretty poorly. Again, I somehow ended up with a pretty clean holeshot in the 2nd moto and lead for maybe a lap before the same guy passed me but at that point I really didn't feel comfortable revving the motor at all. After going maybe another lap I ended up falling over in one of the 180s and not to make excuses but it was really rough to concentrate on riding when it felt like it was going to let loose at any time. After tipping over, I thought it was best to limp it back to the truck and be happy with getting out of there with 2 holeshots and my motor still in one piece.

After the race I was feeling bummed but kind of relieved that I didn't put the rod through the case and that I had 2 good starts, but then I went up and saw the results and saw that if I had kept going after getting up from my tip over and finished the race in the position I would have been in that I would have at least trophied with a 3rd overall. Oh, well...I'm still happy that nothing catastrophic happened.

The old RMs are good off the starts....I've been to 3 vintage events this year and have holeshot 6 consecutive motos so far!

As for the track this year...yep, I liked it and mother nature's timing with the rain couldn't have been better to make for great conditions. I was also very happy to see that they did away with the hand on helmet starts.

The one thing that bit some people is the $30.00 admisson they had to pay even if they were just attending Sunday's PV race...$30 gate fee plus $50 race fee is pretty steep! I came on Friday and bought a pass for the entire weekend for $35.00. Which brings me to another thing about the gate fee...on Friday, I bought my weekend pass and the guy at the gate was nice enough to point out that I could get a $10.00 discount if I had an AMA card or a AAA card...so I paid $35 rather than $45. On Saturday, my wife came with me and told the guy at the gate (different guy) that I wanted a Sat/Sun pass for her and he told me it was $45.00. When I showed him her AAA card, he said he didn't know anything about a $10.00 discount. When I pressed harder on the discount, he picked up a laminated sheet and then said "Oh, ok here it is...ok $35.00". Makes me wonder how many people were even told they could get the discount...some guy at the gate could just skim $10.00 off each $45.00 entry and pocket a good amount for the day.

Looking forward to next year!

dmx153
Welcome to the madness!
Keep count & see how many Vintage bikes you have in a year or two....

Cool looking at the results as I saw Denny Swartz name in there & rember watching him race as a Pro at
Hi-Point in the late 70's & early 80's. Tlaked to him at Crows back in 08 when I had the old Maico there for
a practice day & he said he still had some of his Maico's form back in the day so glad to see one got dusted off.

Looked like an ok turn out with 155 Vintage & 119 Post Vintage riders listed.
Still think they need to revisit or patch up the AMA/AHRMA split as 274 riders is 1/4 of the 2008 crowd of 1,000.

Keep the stories & pictures flowing for us bench racers....

Maico Mark

That guy on the KX 400 bumped me pretty good. was that you that was right behind him. I think I took your line getting back on the track ( ala James Stewart )

Yea, I was closely behind him. Considering the hit, you gathered it up well and you rode clean. I really just didn't want to see him get too far away from us. After closer eyeballing the photos, it appears he was on a KDX, and I do know it was a 400cc.

VMD-H.jpg

Back