"Amatuer" Nationals

One Vet Pro class would solve it. I bet right now Pit, sitting as a second alternate would have liked to have 4 or 5 pro license holders out of the 35 vet class.

Yea we've had this rant already this year on the board. I agree with you John.
125 2 stroke class would be nice. Open 2 Stroke would be as nice as well.

heck yeah! 125 class, 250 class and 500 class...A, B and C...Quieter bikes...less expensive...less costly to repair and maintain...wonder where we went wrong? lol get rid of 4 strokes to save the sport...lol jk

Makes me want to sell my 450 and get the 144 super smoker done! Come to think of it...think I will and get a 250 2 stroke too

I heard a podcast with Coombs and he made Ryno sit out of all of his classes beacause he raced the Glen Helen GP last year. Which means you have sit out at least one year.

I think anyone faster then me should be disqualified...So just me and Wills83 can race LL in 2012.
See if DC is cool with that.

Even though I would get lapped i would much rather line up in a vet class with people like Dowd, Barry Carsten or Reynard and test my skills (or maybe lack thereof). Instead of riding in the "john 250 class" where the first rule is you have to be slower than john250. This is a class form which you and even I are definetly banned. Not tryin to bash just tryin to prove a point. If you don't attempt to go to LL because you think you may not finish in the top 10 then your missing the point in going. Its to test your skills not to test others lack of skill.

One Vet Pro class would solve it. I bet right now Pit, sitting as a second alternate would have liked to have 4 or 5 pro license holders out of the 35 vet class.
if thats the case, he should have raced the B/C class. its not different than someone trying to go down there in A class. the top 5 could easily make a pro national, and will next weekend. im sure the top 5 in B would make a pro national and do well.

You are missing the point, the 'amatuer nationals' are for just that. If you are up and coming and trying to be pro then this is the place to be. Once you have reached that level your done. Sitting out one year or even years as the results show, doesnt slow a pro level rider to the speed of us wanna be's. So give them an A class to ride in and stay out of the rest of the classes. While it is sweet to ride against them the chance of qualifying to do so is harder when they are on the gate at the regional with you. It isnt about getting top ten, its about even making the show.

Can I get a +50 -non training –low skill -busted up skinny body- bald- overworked- pack a day smoker class???

.......that only has to run 3 lap races......

Ok, in all seriousness……So - ya kick all the ex Pro’s out of the age classes…Now what???
What are you going to do with the guy that wins it?....will you let him sign up again next year for the same class???

Marc its so refreshing to see a Vet rider that gets it!!! All this BS about "A vet expert class" is crazy! So because i was fast a looooooooooong time ago i should only have one option to qualify instead of the multiple "age" classes that i am age appropriate for? Forget the Amateur part and look at the National part of the title. It a NATIONAL for the best of each class that the rules allow you to ride!

But Marc i don't agree with your +50 strategy, i want an over 41-under 43 over weight, sit behind a desk 60+hrs a week, don't train, drink beer class!! Maybe run 10 laps, but you have to stop and have a beer every 2 laps!! I am built for it!!!!

Here is a perfect example, Gaylon Dickson is currently running 15th in +35 at LL. Gaylon is a former pro license holder and has qualified for supercrosses and nationals. I get it everyone wants to be a winner.That why I don't race much anymore cause there are 30 classes and you get 3 or 4 laps. Blair who also posted on this was qualifing for nationals while I was looking like a fool in the c class back in the late 80's ( I didn't start riding or racing until i was 17). If I can keep him in sight till the end of a moto its a personal victory for me. I'm not pissed cause I have to compete against him. As far as making the show goes I was at RedBud in 02 (when +30 was just that) and got 7th in the last moto 1-6 and 8-9 were doing Laroccos Leap bunch of ex factory riders like Keith Bowen, Todd Dehoop, etc. No I didn't make it but that was one of the best motos of my life. The RedBud sand in my mouth even tasted good cause I gave everything I had even if I came up short. The flip to that is I have also been to LL in the c and b classes. But if i had to choose between them I would take that day at RedBud every time. Just sayin this is the rules as they were setup, deal with it and go on or petition mxsports to have the john250 class next season.

Tony its time to get your ass off the couch!!! Oh wait, i have only raced 3 times this year anyway :). Congrats to Gaylon too, he just finished up the week with 3rd overall in the +40 class and finished the final moto of 35+ with a strong 5th!!! Gaylon was just up at area330 a couple weeks ago for the PAMX race too.

Maybe next year blair. My wife is doing a little better but the chemo still has her down for now. Can't wait to see your back fender again. lol.

Marc its so refreshing to see a Vet rider that gets it!!! All this BS about "A vet expert class" is crazy! So because i was fast a looooooooooong time ago i should only have one option to qualify instead of the multiple "age" classes that i am age appropriate for? Forget the Amateur part and look at the National part of the title. It a NATIONAL for the best of each class that the rules allow you to ride!

Ha ha. A vet rider that gets it eh ?

I have tried for LL three times in 20 years. Three times I have ended up with injuries that prevented me from competing at the regionals. I believe I may have the speed to make the show, all three years people I had passed and beaten at the area qualifiers made the show. I am not complaining about the competition or speeds required ! I am complaining because it is NOT a NATIONAL for the best of each class. If it were then the pros would be allowed to compete as well ! It is a race for AMATEURS as the title of the race states. When they only take 20 in the +50 class now and the top 5 are ex pro's that are turning lap times 5 seconds off the fastest riders that means they are really only taking 15 AMATEURS in the +50 class at the AMATEUR NATIONALS ------for ex pros apparently. I just think they should remove the amateur part then-----or maybe call it

"Loretta Lynns up and coming amateur and ex pro Nationals "

Problem solved ! Or maybe I can join in the John250 class. Of course I have no idea how fast he is either, it might be faster than my abilities !!!!!! Lol, is he even really asking for his own class ???? I think not.

Seriously look at the lap times in the + 35, +40, +45, +50 classes. The top 5 are FAR from amateurs. Even more in some classes.

Ha ha. A vet rider that gets it eh ?

I have tried for LL three times in 20 years. Three times I have ended up with injuries that prevented me from competing at the regionals. I believe I may have the speed to make the show, all three years people I had passed and beaten at the area qualifiers made the show. I am not complaining about the competition or speeds required ! I am complaining because it is NOT a NATIONAL for the best of each class. If it were then the pros would be allowed to compete as well ! It is a race for AMATEURS as the title of the race states. When they only take 20 in the +50 class now and the top 5 are ex pro's that are turning lap times 5 seconds off the fastest riders that means they are really only taking 15 AMATEURS in the +50 class at the AMATEUR NATIONALS ------for ex pros apparently. I just think they should remove the amateur part then-----or maybe call it

"Loretta Lynns up and coming amateur and ex pro Nationals "

Problem solved ! Or maybe I can join in the John250 class. Of course I have no idea how fast he is either, it might be faster than my abilities !!!!!! Lol, is he even really asking for his own class ???? I think not.

Seriously look at the lap times in the + 35, +40, +45, +50 classes. The top 5 are FAR from amateurs. Even more in some classes.
bigger problems than that imo. fastest lap time of the event came from B class, 2 years in a row now from what i can remember.

i remember a few years ago the fastest lap time came from Kevin Walker when he beat Emig too. Kevin was hardly a "successful" pro rider and i think Emig's resume speaks for itself.

Couple years ago i got 8th in the +40 class and there were lots of 80 riders who had faster lap times then me. lil bastards!!! :)

I welcome everyone to the line to race against!! A, B, and C riders!! If you don't want to get better i am not sure what the point to racing is?

I made to the big show in 89,90, 93 and 2001. Three times in the 40+ once in the 50+.
To make it to the starting line and ride with the best in the country in my age group was very satisfying.
I am completely in favor of no A and B class in the age groups. Being on the line with past pro's just made it that much better.
A better answer might be to have a youth nationals one week and the amateur nationals the next. That would allow for full gates
in the 40, 45 and 50+ and maybe even add a 55+ for us oldtimers that would still like to race the best in the country in their age group.
I'll be 65 by then so that would be something for me to shoot for. I really did mean to say 65.

Ballinger that is what its all about!!! I commend you and i hope that i am still riding at 65!! I look at someone like you and that is what i strive for!!! My dad has a friend in Florida who is in his 80's and 2 heart attacks later is still railing!!! Hell he was in better shape than me up until his 70's :)

Back