What the hell is wrong with mxsports and ama?

I think the policing of the rules is pathetic. There aren't any referees around enforcing anything. It takes an act of congress to bring to someone's attention that someone is sandbagging, and that falls on deaf ears most of the time, unless your one of the few that go racing every weekend to the point where the signup girls and track owners know you by your first name. No structure at all and everyhting is kinda self governed. The only way you get caught is if someone who knows you and the track owner rats on you.
What's funny is back in the day, and I know how everyone hates "back in the day" stories, during the 80's in D5 there were actual D5 referees at the tracks. They wore ref striped shirts and roamed the pits. They had clip boards and walked around looking at bikes and checking rider classes. I know this because I was young and stupid and trying to get away with stuff and got busted early, and learned my lesson. You fixed it or didn't race. Funny how there wasn't any computers back then, but the refs knew points and rules and kept people honest. These were older guys who volunteered their time. It was much more organized than even today. I started racing in Ohio back in the mid 80's while living at home in WV near Wheeling, and notiiced right away how unorganized it was over here compared to D5. Everybody with any color plates they wanted, nobody checking anything, no refs, nothing. I haven't raced D5 since '89 but even back then it was way more organized than anywhere over here, even today.

When tommy Beckett and I moved from super mini we went straight to B. 6 guys that used to keep us honest in that class decided to race c. So here we were throwing lap times in B and the top 5 in C were equal. We would always be battling in schoolboy/college boy but yet they continued to line up in C and nobody did anything about it.

It comes down to quit using the LL EXCUSE. Make it in your class in which the rules were designed. Don't be hackin the rpv by smoking everyone in moto one then in moto two wait at the finish until 30th place passes you and finish. I've seen it Nobody does jack about it.
Nobody
Cares.

"back in the day" I raced steel am day....I wore Baggie gear and the ref came screaming at me because my sleeves were rolled up not down on my wrist...I was like what the hell does that have to,do,with anything a- hole....he said its in the rule book....so I took a extra lap and they had to wait the whole gate while I cruised a extra like"Iam actually racing steel city so,sweet look at me moment" lol when I came back around the ref went crazy was swinging the flag at me and tring to ban me....lol

MX746... I remember those refs in their zebra outfits, but still there were plenty of "sandbaggers" there. I was a true C then, remember getting smoked by guys running C but getting lap times like t he B class top guys. Its always been like this as far as i can remember_
i remember racing a guy down in Steel City or Challenger that ran Open B-C and was blistering out there. He would smoke me at these tracks i mean lap me. Then he showed up to Pyma, where i spent most of my time... and we were the same speed.

Get rid of C class. Okay! But then what. This past weekend my son raced at Bithlo in the C class. Finished 28th out of 32. The top 5 or 6 were hitting every triple and the 110' table to table top. If not for a couple of falls, he would have been battling around 20th. So let's go to the Schoolboy 1 class. The top 2 riders also finished 1st and 2nd in the 250B stock class, and were doing all the jumps including the table table top. Their, and the 250C leaders corners were insanely fast. Ok, so let's try the B class theory. Erik only got 1 practice group for Friday even though we were signed up for 2 different classes. We fitted a sand tire on one of the bikes, and wanted to check it out. The officials said go out with the B riders as there were only about 8 there on Friday for practice. Even though he waited for the riders to take off before he went out, having a bike fly by doing a table to table jump didn't do a whole lot of good for his psyche. So according to these posts, where does that leave us. We can stay in C and battle the legitimate C riders and 1. get better hopefully, and 2. have fun doing it, or 3. ride in the B class and get killed every week, have no confidence, and probably not want to race anymore. Policing? good luck with that one. It is what it is, and probably will never change. I admire Mr. Leighton for sticking with his earlier announcement and moving his son to B class, even though technically he didn't have to. After watching the top riders on Saturday and Sunday, there should be more people like him. I know one thing, if my son is running lap times as fast as this weekend's leaders, he won't be running C any longer as I will move him. Until then, we will run C where at least for now my son can improve at his own pace, and then move up whan the time is right. Not everyone is sandbagging or ready to move up a class. JMO.

i remember racing a guy down in Steel City or Challenger that ran Open B-C and was blistering out there. He would smoke me at these tracks i mean lap me. Then he showed up to Pyma, where i spent most of my time... and we were the same speed.
Was it Brain Lineman? That's the only guy I remember from the 80's who I raced regularly from up that way. I raced 50 to 80 races a year from '80 to '88, then I moved to California, and remember a lot of guys. Especially the ones in the open A and B classes. Do you remember his name? Now I don't know some of the guys from up in the New Castle area and north though. How cool. I might have raced against you back then?

Well lets start here. Top 3 finishers in CRA 250C 2011 - 1st Dakota Reed, 2nd Joey Yuhaschek, 3rd Elijah Rutter. 450C - 1st Josh Barrow, 2nd Todd Hinton, 3rd Brandon Burnett. If you see them in a C class you can protest.

Well lets start here. Top 3 finishers in CRA 250C 2011 - 1st Dakota Reed, 2nd Joey Yuhaschek, 3rd Elijah Rutter. 450C - 1st Josh Barrow, 2nd Todd Hinton, 3rd Brandon Burnett. If you see them in a C class you can protest.

Does that carry over to AMA though? Not trying to start anything or call anyone out but I saw 2nd place Joey Yuhaschek just won an amateur title in 250 C Mod at Millcreek and 3rd place Elijah Rutter won 250 C Mod and 450 C at the area qualifier at Tomahawk. Could care less that they still race C class just wondered if AMA honors CRA rules to force you to move up.

i THINK the rule was that, as long as you didnt sign up for a CRA race in your new class that you got promoted to, you could still run the other in AMA. So if you ran CRA and got bumped to B but never officially went and signed up for B then you could still run C in an ama event.

not 100% sure but thats what i thought was the deal

Just had a 16 year old kid pitted next to me in Daytona. Super nice kid and family from Texas. Has been racing like 6 years. Riding 250C and 450C on two CR 250 2 strokes. Kid won the 250 C class and got 2nd in 450 C (should have won if not for two lappers). He is gonna try for LL this year. But probably should not still be in the C class. My guess is in Texas, he probably does not run AMA much.

Simp : I don't know man. Do what you want, everybody else does. Someone wins C at Loretta's every year. They don't get protested. It's not a big deal.

Nobody will do anything about it in cra or AMA. So just go Race.

(to all, not to simp:)Shoot I might petition down, since I work for a living now and don't want to get hurt....so c class would be a more competitive class....right ?

At the qualifier this past weekend I had a a very large problem. The "C" class.... Ive only been racing fir a year and a half but I am smart enough to know the c class isnt supposed to be tripling nor should they be faster than the b class but when asling the AMA official he said it was completely legal.... sooo what is the stipulation to being bumped from c or why is there even a c class? Honestly ..... Im not *****ing but just stating obvious. If you dont care about it why not just get rid if the class? Also thy need to add a 25+ c class

My kid has been riding for about 7 years. Every time he gets fast enough to go to LL he gets hurt. The rule being, if you have been on a little bike you jump to B class on the big Bikes. A year and a half ago on 85s and super mini we had plans to go if all work out, but, broke his back and his femur. It took a year to heal and when he did I had to make the choice, head to big Bikes or stay and try to rock the little ones. Hes only 14 years old today. I took the big Bike path. Im I a sand bagging dad not knowing how it was going to turn out? Well he rocked those big bikes and he has been working his ass off to get bigger and stronger. I will say the Reg. Qualifier in Ill. had very fast kids and he was only one of two 14 year old kids on that line. He earned made it and earned it. Its not that they need to get rid of it they need to add a leget Beg. class. Im sure everyone has there own story and I hope my son can tell his son with no shame about his experience that he is going to have.

Ok my son is out of C and into B and doing pretty good but if I had to go back and do it over again I wouldnt change a thing and maybe left him in C class a few more races but as I stated if he didnt make LL he will move up. But since he is out I feel I can still state my opinion on this. Everyone haves a differant game plan for their rider some kids and parents are very happy racing your little local races week in and week out and get very fast racing the same track week in and week out and getting to the point of winning every race and becoming a local well known fast kid but now take that same kid and put him on a differant track and the odds are he will get his ass handed to him pretty fast and is no longer a fast kid at all. There are locals sandbagging C class at there own track I have seen it and my son has raced these same kids many times, some local kids will run a full year running C at the SAME track. My point is there are kids and parents out there that want more out of racing than just your local racing they want to race diff tracks in diff states and they want to race the fastest kids they can find in there class. My son would hold his own localy but when it came to the national races he would get it handed to him and not place where he thought he should be.

Sooo what should we do???? We want to race Nationaly and not at a local levle we have never ran for local points and never had a track to call our home track my son wanted to race big races so for his skill levle nationaly it was the C class with a few local C races for seat time but even at the C levle nationly he still wasnt ready to run with that C class so if he is getting beat by them why would I move him to B so he could get beat worse? Just dont make sense to me even after we moved up. As a dad of a mx racer my main job is to build confidence in my rider that is the biggest thing I believe a rider should have if a rider goes to the line already knowing he is beat before the gate dropps he shouldnt be on that gate because he is already beat mentally. I believe that local C class sandbagging should be policed but why dam a local rider for trying to become a better rider in this sport, if it wasnt for local riders trying to race the big stuff who would we root for when they come back faster than they ever have? I have been damed for my opions for years but I brush it off and do what I feel is right for my rider because my rider wants more out of his racing than just being a local fast guy but also being a local fast guy makes him very proud as well as me. This past weekend at Amherst I was the proudest of both of my sons because they went out there and rode great and thats all I ever ask of them.

Sry for the ramble but weather we like it or not there is a HUGE diff between local riders and national riders, national riders can and will race any track any place and learn that track with in 3 practice laps and be competitive a local rider will learn 1 or 2 tracks and become very fast and competitive over many races or even years. Ever wounder why that kid that shows up at a track that no one knows and just spanks the local kids? Well that kid is traveling to be the best he can anyplace. I didnt earn my sig line for nothing lol.

Simple solution.........Take C class out of the Loretta Lynns program all together. I have said that for years. C class is a beginner class in most states, and has no place at LL. And this is me saying it, as someone that has gone to LL in the C class 20+ years ago.

Simple solution.........Take C class out of the Loretta Lynns program all together. I have said that for years. C class is a beginner class in most states, and has no place at LL. And this is me saying it, as someone that has gone to LL in the C class 20+ years ago.

Good luck with that one. Getting ANYTHING changed at Loretta's take money, industry input or being one of the pro's in their "click".

By the way, word on the street is that the AMA is on the way out and will not be a factor very soon. No AMA cards for us, no need to be a member just to race.

Good luck with that one. Getting ANYTHING changed at Loretta's take money, industry input or being one of the pro's in their "click".

By the way, word on the street is that the AMA is on the way out and will not be a factor very soon. No AMA cards for us, no need to be a member just to race.

No way man. Don't believe it.

Georgie, you can't read the writing on the wall very well can you? The AMA is doing very little for the MX Racing community and the promoters of MX racing. When D-5 who is run by the Coombs (who are also the head of the NPG, Run all of Loretta Lynn's through MX Sports, Run the entire GNCC Series by themselves for the AMA, and promote 2 of the 12 Nationals on the Pro Circuit) aren't having AMA races at their local races..... it's PAMX there now and you don't need an AMA card. The AMA is on it's way out...... why have them force their rules and insurance down your throat when it's more expensive and not as good as the insurance the the promoters can get outside of the AMA? Many of the largest riding states in the country don't have AMA now and most of the racers only join to be able to race Loretta Lynn's at this point.

The AMA has lost touch with the motocross scene long ago. They lost SX to FIM and Clear Channel in a promotion rights war. They lost the MX series to the NPG and TV rights when the track owners saw that they were going to take all the money with no work on their part, and they've lost the amateur racing scene in most places around the country already..... Look at Ohio, CRA rules the north, and D-11 has been a mess for the last few years. Our best track is an outlaw track run by a Quad racer who will most likely have the largest race in Ohio this year that is un sanctioned.......

Does it make any more sense to you now???

Back