Thoughts and prayers for Joe Rice #23

He's doing good saw him after surgery last night waiting to find out if he will need surgery on his left foot now been chatting with him this morning and is really sore.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I'm doing as good as can be expected. They went ahead and did rods and screws in both tibs and fibs. Now they just took me down to do a CT Scan of my left foot. Waiting to hear back from that. Last I heard was they wanted to wait to do surgery or anything on it until the legs are started to heal. And yes Clevenger I was tryin to clear the downside of the little double after the small tunnel. I don't know how he made it on a 250f. I landed on my 250 and pinned it and didn't make it. I'm glad I bailed though. Because the way I was headed, I'm almost positive something in my back woulda gave out. Cause it was a big free fall.

Glad to see that you're in good spirits and able to get on Pitracer and share the story. While it's a great photo that Fox has of you bailing in mid air, it sends a chill down my spine knowing that the end is near so bad that you're throwing your bike away! I always cringe when I see something like that as from a rider's perspective, you know the outcome looks bleak if you choose to bail off your bike.

Good luck on the healing process and I hope everything works out OK and you are back before you know it.

Joe, glad to see you post. Some rough stuff but you've been there before so there's not much else we can say besides keep your head up. Im sure I can speak for most but if you need anything let us (me) know. Now call Fox and get him to post the full sequence so everyone can see the full knarlyness of that gap, you knarly sob. lol.

I always heard Joe was crazy like my brother when it comes to jumping, but that was nuts! I just came out of the GP section and was talking when he was flying through the air! I've never even jumped table to double yet so the thought of quading was outa sight outa mind. I wish he asked me before he tried it cause I would of bulldozed it before that. I never saw Rife jump it nor has BJ so I can't believe he did it till I see it. Never the less Joe you are one tuff son of a gun. It takes a man to crack out jokes with that much pain. Just glad your getting fixed.

Even with Joe's permission I don't think I'll be posting those photo's, if he wants to see them I'll be more than happy to take a laptop to the hospital and show them to him. Joe, if you need anything my office is 10 min away from Akron General. I called the hospital this morning and they told me you were in ICU and that only immediate family members could visit. If you don't want to see the photo's I won't show them to you or anyone else.
As for Rife clearing it I have 2 video's of it from the 19th of May. I will load it onto a laptop and bring it to the track next time so anyone can view it. I'm not putting it online where anyone can view and think " If Rife can clear it so can I" It might prevent the next guy from getting hurt.

Rife just text me back and this is his text. Yo man. I just went table over one then 3 Into the rollers. That's not good at all. I didn't even picture that being possible. I think Joe might go down as the only one to ever try that! At least I hope so.

Even with Joe's permission I don't think I'll be posting those photo's, if he wants to see them I'll be more than happy to take a laptop to the hospital and show them to him. Joe, if you need anything my office is 10 min away from Akron General. I called the hospital this morning and they told me you were in ICU and that only immediate family members could visit. If you don't want to see the photo's I won't show them to you or anyone else.
As for Rife clearing it I have 2 video's of it from the 19th of May. I will load it onto a laptop and bring it to the track next time so anyone can view it. I'm not putting it online where anyone can view and think " If Rife can clear it so can I" It might prevent the next guy from getting hurt.

Wise choice Mr Fox! I don't want to see that happen again either

Fox: they just moved me from ICU to room 5251. Visiting hours are from 9am 9pm if you wanna stop by. My email address is jrice8@kent.edu if you don't get a chance to stop by. I don't have a problem with you posting the pictures on here either. If anything it'll give riders a reason to think twice. Thank you all for the support,thoughts and prayers and hopefully I will see you all soon. As of right now, it looks like I'll be here a while. And the foot is shattered and won't be messed with for about a week.

There is a vid of this also.....Joe you are " mans game" for even trying that jump....I think two people have triple the jump I guess u call it....YoU wanted To QUAD it......holy crap! I don't know you but if I ever meet you...Drinks on me my friend!

Thanks for the update Joe and I will stop and see you tomorrow probably around 1:30 PM. If you need/want anything (BigMac, Magazines, MP3's or such) let me know. I will not post those photo's or video. I will e-mail them to you then you can do as you wish. The pic of you bailing and the aftermath story should make the others think twice.
I would bet that Brock mow's down that 2nd hump now though so nobody else even tries. I did write on your Facebook post the person who took the video. I never watched it myself and don't plan on it,,don't need to relive that moment.

** Jan Slutz also sent me a message that he broke his arm at Beans later in the day**
*** Forgot to say Thank You to Adam Campbell for getting his EZ-UP and placing it over Joe so he had some shade in the 90 deg heat while waiting on the EMT's. This is a FACT, it took 42 min for the ambulance to arrive and probably another 20 before the helicopter landed.***

Back